Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
Close, but not close enough... :sneaky:

I support Fisher. He's a heck of a leader of men. But the game has changed a lot in favor of a passing attack over those 19 seasons.
Which is why I expect us to go OL early over WRer, SB has to standing, not on the ground, to make passing plays work
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Maybe he's not the fool here. Maybe he just has a different strategy than the one you favor. Frankly, I thought the guy was nuts last year after the SF game when he claimed our problems would be fixed by the running game...but lo and behold, he was right and I was wrong.
You and me both. I will totally admit that I just didn't think our offensive line had it in them. But that spread they were trying to run was clearly killing them.

There are multiple factors here, though. I think the offense will still struggle against teams that specialize in stopping the run, but those teams will still face a run first offense from the Rams that will be complimented with Bradford throwing to a Austin and Bailey in their sophomore years. I expect Quick and Givens to improve from last year, and I expect Cook to continue improving his run blocking which will definitely have a positive impact on his receiving game. To me the real key to the passing game improving is Cook and Quick (from a run and shoot perspective) and then Austin and Bailey.

People talk about make or break year on Bradford all the time, but for me it's that way for Quick and Givens. It won't be until after those two are evaluated and other holes filled that we upgrade the receiver core I think. I also think it's make or break for Pead and Richardson this year.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sheesh. Watkins = Blackmon a couple of years ago. Some people were so convinced that without Blackmon, the Ram Empire would crumble. So stupid to think that a TEAM is made or broken with the selection of one friggin player. Blackmon has certainly lifted the Jags to the upper echelon on the leagues elite hasn't he??

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
if I was a betting man, I'd bet we don't even draft a WRer this year
train
If Jordan Matthews is still on the board when our pick at 44 rolls around I would certainly be interested, but who knows what will really happen? Lots of options this year...

nighttrain

Legend
after we sign Britt, which I think is all but done, UDFA's as camp fodder will do
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't believe anything being said right now.

I know, why would anyone believe anything anyone in the NFL is saying right now? I'm waiting for the day that a GM tells a reporter "why are you asking these stupid ass questions when you know I am not going to tell you what my plans are".

Sheesh. Watkins = Blackmon a couple of years ago. Some people were so convinced that without Blackmon, the Ram Empire would crumble. So stupid to think that a TEAM is made or broken with the selection of one friggin player. Blackmon has certainly lifted the Jags to the upper echelon on the leagues elite hasn't he??

Blackmon is an idiot, but we didn't know that at the time, if the Blackmon who has gotten on the field had been drafted by the Rams I think he'd take us to the next level.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
No shock to me.

And I believe him too.

It goes to what I've said all along, the guy just does not understand or fully appreciate offensive football.

To say in one vein that the wr's we have are "expected" to be better means, as I've predicted, he's wagering that bums like Quick, Pettis and Givens are suddenly going to improve and, that what we saw from bailey on very limited exposure will mean big growth this year too. <Shrug>

Then why pray tell are you pursuing an injured, dope headed, under achieving bum like Britt?

And then you talk up Clowney as if our pass rushers aren't already THE best and deepest part of the team?

Fruit loops.

No this isn't a smoke screen folks, if it where he would also be saying he's got no interest in Clowney, which he shouldn't anyways.

This is Fisher being Fisher, a guy who just has never gotten the art of the forward pass.
My nightmare is that this post is accurate. I started to go down this road of thinking early last season but I think X talked me off the ledge. I am still fearful that this is precisely what we have in Fisher.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
We knew what we were getting in Jeff Fisher. He isn't Mike Martz and never will be. Fisher had a long history of his style of NFL football long before he was hired by the Rams. Run the ball down opposing teams throats and have a nasty, tough defense. Throw Shottenheimer into the mix as OC and there you go.

I was surprised when Tavon Austin was picked and by the change in offensive style over the first few games. When that failed along came Zac Stacy and that was that. Fisher went back to what he knows best and for what's worked for him in the past. Imho the O-line and the defense will be addressed heavily in this draft. Skill players will be moved to the back of the list.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Anyone else notice this article presented no new information? just sparked old debates lol
That is EXACTLY what I read. This just in - Watkins, Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, Lewan are top prospects. And I'm sure many of you also didn't know that the Rams hold the #2 and #13 picks. Lot of new stuff in this article.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We knew what we were getting in Jeff Fisher. He isn't Mike Martz and never will be. Fisher had a long history of his style of NFL football long before he was hired by the Rams. Run the ball down opposing teams throats and have a nasty, tough defense. Throw Shottenheimer into the mix as OC and there you go.

I was surprised when Tavon Austin was picked and by the change in offensive style over the first few games. When that failed along came Zac Stacy and that was that. Fisher went back to what he knows best and for what's worked for him in the past. Imho the O-line and the defense will be addressed heavily in this draft. Skill players will be moved to the back of the list.
I guess it's nice to dream.

For all that went wrong under the Martz administration I'd still take him back in a heartbeat, over any other coach in or out of football.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

For all that went wrong under the Martz administration I'd still take him back in a heartbeat, over any other coach in or out of football.
At OC maybe but definitely NOT as HC. Sorry but IMO Martz cannot run a team.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way... from a Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

What a time to be a Rams Fanatic! Martz didn't care if we gave up 5 interceptions and 60 points as long as we got one more point than them and won. You never knew what was up his sleeve from game to game.

What a brilliant mind but not being able to play nice with others proved to be his downfall. Like most who live in the upper echelon of genius, people skills are usually lacking. Then again, who could have gotten along with Shaw and Zygmunt?

It would be fun to see him with the Rams as OC but pairing him with Fisher would be doomed to failure. Clashing offensive philosophies and all.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Shaw would not be safe if left alone with me. I dream of the day we meet alone in a back alley.