Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_eabe8cc7-464f-5742-b310-6539a5b1d2d5.html

ORLANDO, FLA. • Make no mistake, Rams coach Jeff Fisher likes Sammy Watkins, the gifted wide receiver from Clemson.

“He’s very, very explosive,” Fisher said. “I mean, he’s good with the ball. He’s good without the ball. He’s one of those guys that can pluck a ball at his ankles running full speed. He’s gonna be a very, very good pro.”

The question is: Does Fisher like Watkins enough to pluck him at No. 2 overall in the draft? It could be a smokescreen, but it doesn’t sound like it.

“I think with what we have on the roster right now, we can provide (quarterback) Sam (Bradford) with the talent to where we can win a lot of games,” Fisher said. “We’re expecting improvement. We’re still seeing improvement from (receivers), for example, Brian Quick, Chris Givens who are going into their third year.

“We expect significant improvement and more contribution from Tavon (Austin) and Stedman (Bailey). And I’m not disappointed in any way in what Austin Pettis has done in a backup role.”

The vibe all along from Rams Park this offseason has been that offensive line and the secondary are higher priorities than wide receiver. And Fisher’s comments seem to fit in with that premise.

The Rams have taken four receivers in the their two drafts under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, picking one in each of the first four rounds: Austin in the first (2013), Quick in the second (2012), Bailey in the third (2013), and Givens in the fourth (2012).

Perhaps the thinking is that that’s enough investment in one position over the short term, and that continued patience is needed. If you throw in Pettis, who was taken in the third round in 2011 during the Steve Spagnuolo-Billy Devaney regime, that’s five wideouts. And if the Rams end up signing Tennessee Titans wideout Kenny Britt, that’s six. The team might think it has enough at the position.

Then again, if the team passes on Watkins and he turns out to be the best wide receiver to come out in several years as some draftniks have proclaimed, the Rams might regret the decision.

Either way, there are plenty of options at No. 2 overall, and Fisher spoke freely about them at the NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday.

For starters, he didn’t dismiss the possibility of taking South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney at No. 2, even though the team is stacked at defensive end.

“I’ve learned over the years that you never have enough pass rushers,” Fisher said. “And I think not only us, but other teams that are in our situation, are creative enough to find ways to get (Clowney) on the field and put him in position to make plays.”

Fisher didn’t regard Clowney’s lack of sack production last season (three) as a red flag.

“Not if you watch the games, it’s not,” Fisher said. “Because the effort’s there. You’ve got to give offenses credit, too. I mean they were aware of where he was. They turned the center towards him. When the ball came out, they’d check out with backs just like we do in our league with good rushers.

“So no, you see a lot of other really big plays throughout the year. Consistent big plays, whether they’re chase plays down the field or plays against the run.”

The Rams certainly are taking a long look at the top three offensive tackles in the draft: Greg Robinson of Auburn, Jake Matthews of Texas A&M and Taylor Lewan of Michigan. Lewan is more likely under consideration at No. 13 overall — the second of the Rams’ two first-round picks — although he might not last to 13.

A lot of the media mock drafts have Robinson as the Rams’ pick at No. 2.

“He’s young. I believe he’s got tremendous upside,” Fisher said. “Probably has not taken as many snaps in a pro-style offense as Lewan, the Michigan tackle. But he’s very athletic and he has flexibility — he could move in, play guard or the other tackle as well. Probably gonna take him a little more time.”

But don’t forget about Matthews, the son of Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews — who once played for Fisher. Fisher thinks Jake is as competitive as his father and will be as durable and versatile in the pros.

But is Jake as athletic as his father?

“I’ll have to tell you after the private workout,” Fisher said. “Don’t know. I would assume so.”

Besides the upcoming private workout, the Rams held a formal, or “suite” interview with him last month at the NFL scouting combine. Both the private workout and suite visit are indicators of strong interest by a team in a player.

As for Lewan, Fisher said: “Very well-coached. Very consistent. Finishes plays. What you see on tape, that’s what everybody would look for — that type of tackle.”

Lewan currently has some legal issues — he faces an arraignment April 8 on three charges related to a fight outside an Ann Arbor, Mich., restaurant last Dec. 1.

“It certainly is gonna require that you do a little bit more background and research on him,” Fisher said.

Of course, when draft day rolls around, some of these options might be out of play if the team trades down from No. 2. So far it’s quiet on that front.

‘We’ve not really had any discussion with anybody,” Fisher said. “That doesn’t mean to say we won’t.”

iced

I don't believe anything being said right now.

shouldn't buy into anything...whether it's positive or negative on any player.. this is poker..

btw i've made $800 in the past week - to say my friends are acting like angry niners is a understatement :)

PhxRam

I don't believe anything being said right now.

I think everyone is so used to everyone else throwing out smoke screens that it would simply be easier to tell the truth. Everyone would just naturally assume you are lying. THAT would be the ultimate smoke screen.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
shouldn't buy into anything...whether it's positive or negative on any player.. this is poker..

btw i've made $800 in the past week - to say my friends are acting like angry niners is a understatement :)
how'd u make the dough?

FRO

Legend
I hope it's smoke, but don't think it is. I think it's a huge mistake to count on Quick. I would rather have Clowney than pick one of the OTs.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
poker bro

gotta learn to stop textin the lady friend afterwards...made 245,205, and 360.. after each one she said "so where we goin for dinner?" :D
An investor friend loves the psychology behind the game. He says that's the hardest part, learning the traits of the other players and how to read them, and also knowing your own traits & tendencies and how to change them up so as not to develop any patterns.

iced

An investor friend loves the psychology behind the game. He says that's the hardest part, learning the traits of the other players and how to read them, and also knowing your own traits & tendencies and how to change them up so as not to develop any patterns.

Believe it or not, I try to play on instinct (which seems to be rare these days). A lot of people use odds, poker books, and statistics - i try use my gut, even pre flop.. and it works out..

but it does help to know your opponent - its fun to balance playing at a table with both ultra risky ridiculousness and tight players

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, I think he's being honest. Just don't get the feeling the Rams are coveting Watkins. Honestly, I could see them coveting Evans over Watkins. But I don't know. Just throwing shit against the wall. As it stands right now, my best guess would be Robinson. But I'm hoping for Jake Matthews.

RFIP

No shock to me.

And I believe him too.

It goes to what I've said all along, the guy just does not understand or fully appreciate offensive football.

To say in one vein that the wr's we have are "expected" to be better means, as I've predicted, he's wagering that bums like Quick, Pettis and Givens are suddenly going to improve and, that what we saw from bailey on very limited exposure will mean big growth this year too. <Shrug>

Then why pray tell are you pursuing an injured, dope headed, under achieving bum like Britt?

And then you talk up Clowney as if our pass rushers aren't already THE best and deepest part of the team?

Fruit loops.

No this isn't a smoke screen folks, if it where he would also be saying he's got no interest in Clowney, which he shouldn't anyways.

This is Fisher being Fisher, a guy who just has never gotten the art of the forward pass.

RFIP

Making it a sticky should be enough to hide it from him.
th
:whistle:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No shock to me.

And I believe him too.

It goes to what I've said all along, the guy just does not understand or fully appreciate offensive football.

To say in one vein that the wr's we have are "expected" to be better means, as I've predicted, he's wagering that bums like Quick, Pettis and Givens are suddenly going to improve and, that what we saw from bailey on very limited exposure will mean big growth this year too. <Shrug>

Then why pray tell are you pursuing an injured, dope headed, under achieving bum like Britt?

And then you talk up Clowney as if our pass rushers aren't already THE best and deepest part of the team?

Fruit loops.

No this isn't a smoke screen folks, if it where he would also be saying he's got no interest in Clowney, which he shouldn't anyways.

This is Fisher being Fisher, a guy who just has never gotten the art of the forward pass.

Or Fisher doesn't believe that the WR position is our key to success. Maybe...just maybe...Fisher watched the damage we did with Bradford and those bums while Stacy was a starter and believes that Bradford and the passing offense can operate quite efficiently with those bums at WR if we have stellar protection and a good running game to work off of.

Maybe Fisher also recognizes that guys like Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey will improve from their rookie to sophomore seasons and that the book is not yet written on Quick and Givens because both are also quite young.

Maybe he's not the fool here. Maybe he just has a different strategy than the one you favor. Frankly, I thought the guy was nuts last year after the SF game when he claimed our problems would be fixed by the running game...but lo and behold, he was right and I was wrong.

The guy has been a NFL Head Coach for around two decades. He has an experienced and smart coaching staff as well as a good scouting department around them. As much as we love our own opinions(trust me, you're talking to the king of that), these guys have demonstrated to me that they know what they're doing. So I'm going to put some trust in them...and not just because I agree with them...but because there is more than one way to build a team.

RFIP, in entrenching yourself in a Watkins or bust stance, you completely close off any other perspective as being valid and that makes it very hard for you to see the forest for the trees.

There is more than one WR in this draft. And even if we don't draft one, Bradford played incredibly well with Stacy as a starter while throwing to, imo, a lesser version of those bums. Because I think Tavon will definitely be better than his rookie form next year and Bradford didn't have a chance to play with Stedman.

So yea, I think Bradford is capable of playing quite well the guys we have as long as he's protected and we can run the ball in 2014. I'm not opposed to grabbing a WR early but it's certainly not the only correct course of action nor will it make or break the 2014 season.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Personally I'm excited to see the developments of Bradford + Austin & Bailey this year, I know that they are not the biggest guys on the field, but I think they can be VERY dangerous - I'm looking at a new dawn guys...