Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

How did this team do when it went to Arizona? To SF? And to Seattle?

Answer; run game stifled and pass game was a joke.

Yet, this team did better when he went back to his bread and butter last year and he plays in a division with what many say are two of the best teams in the NFL and both had FAR FEWER passing attempts than any other team in the league.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
How did this team do when it went to Arizona? To SF? And to Seattle?

Answer; run game stifled and pass game was a joke.
I think having Clemens under center played a role in each of their game plans.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
No shock to me.

And I believe him too.

It goes to what I've said all along, the guy just does not understand or fully appreciate offensive football.

To say in one vein that the wr's we have are "expected" to be better means, as I've predicted, he's wagering that bums like Quick, Pettis and Givens are suddenly going to improve and, that what we saw from bailey on very limited exposure will mean big growth this year too. <Shrug>

Then why pray tell are you pursuing an injured, dope headed, under achieving bum like Britt?

And then you talk up Clowney as if our pass rushers aren't already THE best and deepest part of the team?

Fruit loops.

No this isn't a smoke screen folks, if it where he would also be saying he's got no interest in Clowney, which he shouldn't anyways.

This is Fisher being Fisher, a guy who just has never gotten the art of the forward pass.

Totally agree.

>>The Rams have taken four receivers in the their two drafts under Fisher and general manager Les Snead, picking one in each of the first four rounds: Austin in the first (2013), Quick in the second (2012), Bailey in the third (2013), and Givens in the fourth (2012).

Perhaps the thinking is that that’s enough investment in one position over the short term, and that continued patience is needed. If you throw in Pettis, who was taken in the third round in 2011 during the Steve Spagnuolo-Billy Devaney regime, that’s five wideouts. And if the Rams end up signing Tennessee Titans wideout Kenny Britt, that’s six. The team might think it has enough at the position.<<

Assuming the statement (above) is true, I'd sure like to know out of that list (who) the "go to guy" in that bunch actually is, because I sure as heck don't see him. We need to shore up both lines, I agree. But at this moment, I'm more concerned about adding 7 or more points a game, thank you very much and for that, they need a "go to guy".

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
At OC maybe but definitely NOT as HC. Sorry but IMO Martz cannot run a team.

Martz is the only Rams HC with a winning record(53-32) since John Robinson, and that dates back to the 1983-1991 seasons. He has the highest winning percentage(.623) since Chuck Knox who coached during the 70's. Link There was a time however when I was actually glad he was moving on but in retrospect, after a series of several failed coaches, I can see why some would love to have him back as HC. He was a winner.

iced

Maybe he's not the fool here. Maybe he just has a different strategy than the one you favor. Frankly, I thought the guy was nuts last year after the SF game when he claimed our problems would be fixed by the running game...but lo and behold, he was right and I was wrong.

That running game was so inept though - we were not only dead last in rushing but we were dead last by a mile... and the cure was finding a back who didn't run into the backs of linemen..

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
More I read Fishers remarks the more I think they will want Watkins in a trade down scenario. Clowney if stuck at #2.
No other FO takes any thing seriously Fisher says. Just like Fisher calls BS on what they say. This is just play nice with the media time.
Sneed and Fish hold a presser today saying we're taking Watkins or who ever no one will really believe them.
Silly season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That running game was so inept though - we were not only dead last in rushing but we were dead last by a mile... and the cure was finding a back who didn't run into the backs of linemen..

The cure was finding a good combination on the OL, Stacy's emergence as a quick, north south bowling ball and a refocused effort to actually...ya know...like, RUN the ball.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Can't win the Super Bowl if you can't get into the playoffs.
And I recall that his 1999 Titans team almost beat the Greatest Show on Earth in one.
They almost beat the Ringling Bros.? Sorry, just never bought into the movement to rename the GSOT. It's a play on words, not a sleight to that team.

iced

The cure was finding a good combination on the OL, Stacy's emergence as a quick, north south bowling ball and a refocused effort to actually...ya know...like, RUN the ball.

Actually even Pead out performed Drich in the Dallas game, Daryl was pulled after his 35 yard performance vs Atlanta but started again vs the niners..which was the last draw.

The line was generally healthy except for Saffold (missed weeks 3 - 6) but their running game fluorished even in his absence as soon as they made Stacy the starter and Drich found the bench.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Actually even Pead out performed Drich in the Dallas game, Daryl was pulled after his 35 yard performance vs Atlanta but started again vs the niners..which was the last draw.

The line was generally healthy except for Saffold (missed weeks 3 - 6) but their running game fluorished even in his absence as soon as they made Stacy the starter and Drich found the bench.

I am not taking anything away from Stacy. Love the guy. However, the flourishing running game, IMO, was a mixture of playcalling, line shuffling (Saffold moved to RG) and Stacy. DRich was injured early and it showed. It didn't help that Schotty kept running him into the teeth of the defense.....in bad situations. DRich is a quality RB IMO, when use appropriately. He simply was NOT used correctly last year, and was injured as a result. Regardless, DRich is not a "70%" tailback in this league at all. He is at his best when used as a change of pace back. Primarily running outside on sweeps, pitches, etc, where he can utilize his speed and burst at the edge. I would guess that the coaches biggest concern with him is his pass blocking, which is critical.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Better because of an under performing WR corp?
shrug2.gif

Two best teams had defenses that allowed them to pass less. But the rules have clearly tilted in favor of passing over the years.

No one doubts that the rule are tilted in favor of the passing game. However, both teams don't seem to care and are considered two of the best team in the NFL. And the Rams hired a coach that has won the same way those teams have been winning. Strong defense with a strong running attack.

O line against 49ers:

Jake LongLT
Chris WilliamsLG
Scott WellsC
Harvey DahlRG
Joe BarksdaleRT

O line against Jags:

Jake LongLT
Chris WilliamsLG
Scott WellsC
Harvey DahlRG
Joe BarksdaleRT

I think one of the major changes was getting Harkey involved.

RamzFanz

Damnit
While I prefer Clowney, if they use him for trade bait and trade down to Watkins and up to Robinson, that would be awesome. Instant upgrade in both the passing and running game.

Then we need safety miracles.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I'm a firm believer we have our WR's. I'd have no problem signing Britt.
But drafting another WR? I aint down.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fishers ass, and Sneads along with it, will be on the line if watkins does what most draft experts believe he will and Quick/Givens continue to suck.

Yeah can this work? Of course, IF Quick emerges and Givens rebounds. Would YOu hook your wagon to that pipe dream?

I would not.

No, it won't be. If the Rams win and the guy we picked instead of Watkins is great, nobody will care.

As far as the second sentence, I don't agree with you.

Sam Bradford with Zac Stacy as a starter in 2013
52/80
65%
594 yards
7.4 YPA
7 TDs
1 Int
111.1 QB Rating

And he did that with rookie Tavon, no Stedman, 2013 Quick and Givens, Cook, Kendricks and Pettis.

So it seems to me that Quick emerging and Givens rebounding is far from a necessity. If they do? Amazing. But if they don't, we certainly aren't dead in the water. Especially if Tavon and Stedman progress as expected.

iced

O line against 49ers:

Jake LongLT
Chris WilliamsLG
Scott WellsC
Harvey DahlRG
Joe BarksdaleRT

O line against Jags:

Jake LongLT
Chris WilliamsLG
Scott WellsC
Harvey DahlRG
Joe BarksdaleRT

I think one of the major changes was getting Harkey involved.

I agree - but with a different caveat. Harkey was huge; but also just as huge as NOT asking cook to block anymore. If he was involved in a play with blocking, he often was treated like a wide receiver and would go into motion before running a route out into the flats.

tight ends

Snap counts week 4 - Cook (56), Kendricks (31), Harkey (6)
Snap counts week 5 - Kendricks (64), Harkey (40), Cook (39)