Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Except that look what he inherited and think about how fast that unit was destroyed. He wasn't a good talent evaluator. He was a terrible clock manager. He got his QBs killed. He allowed the likes of London Fletcher to pretty much walk. I just was not a fan of how mad Mike ran a team. He ran a very potent offense with all those weapons but he was pretty well exposed everywhere else he went.
Pretty well everywhere else he went he was expected to save the head coaches job the way he did DV's, and the QB play did improve at every stop he made.
There was one season when 4 of the 32 teams had QB's that Martz had taken from street FA to NFL starter.
Wasn't a good talent evaluator?
Sure he was he just let the defensive coaches evaluate that talent , his offensive talent evaluation was why he was able to produce the GSOT with the talent he had.
IF he had used all those 1st round defensive picks on offensive players,I'm quite sure the GSOT would have sustained quite well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pretty well everywhere else he went he was expected to save the head coaches job the way he did DV's, and the QB play did improve at every stop he made.
There was one season when 4 of the 32 teams had QB's that Martz had taken from street FA to NFL starter.
Wasn't a good talent evaluator?
Sure he was he just let the defensive coaches evaluate that talent , his offensive talent evaluation was why he was able to produce the GSOT with the talent he had.
IF he had used all those 1st round defensive picks on offensive players,I'm quite sure the GSOT would have sustained quite well.

I don't get this. He didn't bring in hardly any of that talent and it was the talent he inherited that allowed him to design the GSOT. Not sure which QBs you are talking about as true NFL starters aside from Kurt. I think he had a couple back-ups that started some games when their teams' starter went down. Kitna was a starter for Cincy long before he met Martz. And I really don't think you can count any others as true starters just because they came off the bench to fill in.

I also don't think it is accurate to say he was brought in to save Lovie Smith's job. The other two? Maybe but his offense wasn't going to do that with those kinds of performances.

And regardless of whether the picks were offense or defense, you still, as head coach, need to do something with the players. Besides - they took 3 on offense and 3 on defense during his six seasons as HC.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Trent Green ,Kurt, Bulger,and Kitna was a street FA when Detroit picked him up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Trent Green was drafted by the Chargers, Kurt was a street FA, Kitna started several seasons at Cincy and Seattle, Bulger was drafted by New Orleans. While with Martz, Kitna threw more INTs than TDs. And I don't think you can credit Martz with really anything that Green did.

I still go back to the idea of Martz as a HC. I don't think he is that kind of material. Even though he didn't do much at his other stops, I still think he is a very good OC. He just needs someone else in charge IMO.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Trent Green was drafted by the Chargers, Kurt was a street FA, Kitna started several seasons at Cincy and Seattle, Bulger was drafted by New Orleans. While with Martz, Kitna threw more INTs than TDs. And I don't think you can credit Martz with really anything that Green did.

I still go back to the idea of Martz as a HC. I don't think he is that kind of material. Even though he didn't do much at his other stops, I still think he is a very good OC. He just needs someone else in charge IMO.
I think you're trying way too hard to not give Martz any credit. Yes, Green was drafted by the Chargers but he never did anything for them. It wasn't until he was in Washington with Martz that he did anything and that's what led to him being given the starting job with the Rams.
Off the top of my head, the only QB that Martz ever drafted was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe Joe Germaine and that Nebraska kid they wanted as a "Slash" type player but he refused to play WR. Anyway, the point is, Martz wasn't in charge long enough to really know how he could evaluate talent(at drafting QB's). But he was pretty danged good at turning chicken shit into chicken salad.
Green, Warner, Bulger were all "never should be's" and that's what led to Martz getting jobs where he was expected to do the same with EVERY QB he started.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think you're trying way too hard to not give Martz any credit. Yes, Green was drafted by the Chargers but he never did anything for them. It wasn't until he was in Washington with Martz that he did anything and that's what led to him being given the starting job with the Rams.
Off the top of my head, the only QB that Martz ever drafted was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe Joe Germaine and that Nebraska kid they wanted as a "Slash" type player but he refused to play WR. Anyway, the point is, Martz wasn't in charge long enough to really know how he could evaluate talent(at drafting QB's). But he was pretty danged good at turning chicken crap into chicken salad.
Green, Warner, Bulger were all "never should be's" and that's what led to Martz getting jobs where he was expected to do the same with EVERY QB he started.

Don't forget Jeff Smoker!

Agree on Green and Washington w/Martz.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Don't forget Jeff Smoker!

Agree on Green and Washington w/Martz.
I did, but I remember now. I know you're not counting that pick against Martz considering it was a 6th round flier on a talent with issues, but it just goes to show that Martz was a victim of taking on projects. I continue to hope the guy gets another real chance in the NFL. Detroit was his last real chance and it wasn't even really that. SF and Chicago, IMO, were decks that were clearly stacked against him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wagoner is a Watkins guy. That explains why he's sort of sounding the alarm...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think you're trying way too hard to not give Martz any credit.

Probably looks like that but like I said - I think he was a very good OC. He just wasn't a good HC. Just my opinion but you also have to think about it. Why hasn't he been given another chance? Certainly isn't his broadcasting career getting in the way.:D

moklerman

Warner-phile
Probably looks like that but like I said - I think he was a very good OC. He just wasn't a good HC. Just my opinion but you also have to think about it. Why hasn't he been given another chance? Certainly isn't his broadcasting career getting in the way.:D
True, and I don't really have a good answer. I think it has more to do with personality and the high risk/high reward coaching style. But I think he's at least as good(probably better) than a lot of guys who've gotten chances in the past 10 years.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True, and I don't really have a good answer. I think it has more to do with personality and the high risk/high reward coaching style. But I think he's at least as good(probably better) than a lot of guys who've gotten chances in the past 10 years.
Maybe right. I wouldn't mind seeing him take on the right situation. As long as we don't have to play them of course.