Fisher sounds as if Rams will pass on Watkins/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No shock to me.

And I believe him too.

It goes to what I've said all along, the guy just does not understand or fully appreciate offensive football.

To say in one vein that the wr's we have are "expected" to be better means, as I've predicted, he's wagering that bums like Quick, Pettis and Givens are suddenly going to improve and, that what we saw from bailey on very limited exposure will mean big growth this year too. <Shrug>

Then why pray tell are you pursuing an injured, dope headed, under achieving bum like Britt?

And then you talk up Clowney as if our pass rushers aren't already THE best and deepest part of the team?

Fruit loops.

No this isn't a smoke screen folks, if it where he would also be saying he's got no interest in Clowney, which he shouldn't anyways.

This is Fisher being Fisher, a guy who just has never gotten the art of the forward pass.

You're turning into a very bitter poster every time there's talk of not drafting Watkins. It's unbecoming of you.

FRO

Legend
I'm a Watkins guy, but if we get one of Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, or Matthews we have done well. All four have all pro potential. Matthews is by far the safest bet and Clowney being the guy with the most upside.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm just thankful there are many choices to go right with at #2 this year. At least whoever we get won't likely be another Jason Smith.

I admit, I'd like a stud WR like Watkins but that isn't what usually wins championships. Generally speaking, the value picks at the very top of the draft are usually LT or QB.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Personally I'm excited to see the developments of Bradford + Austin & Bailey this year, I know that they are not the biggest guys on the field, but I think they can be VERY dangerous - I'm looking at a new dawn guys...
I too am looking forward to their development. While I believe Austin is truly a game changer, he's not an outside guy and would do much better if there was an outside guy that would require double teams and open up the middle of the field. That's partly why I'm for drafting Watkins.

I also want Watkins because that would totally set up our WR core: Watkins and Bailey on the outside with Givens and Austin in the slot. That could be a very dangerous WR core. But, I do admit without some O-line help, it won't matter since there won't be enough time to get them the ball.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I believe most of what Fisher said. I believe that Robinson or Matthews are really the targets. I think he mentions Clowney, mainly because he wants his trade options wide open though.

When it comes to the WR position I think he is being truthful. Watkins is great but he is too Similiar to Bailey and Austin and after one season it doesn't make sense to pick their replacement.

However, if they did go WR early I think it would be Evans, because they have been chasing that mold since they arrived and don't truly have it to the extent that they want. So if, like the fans, they don't believe in Quick, or Cook for that matter, then maybe they admit their mistakes and pick Evans.

RFIP

Fishers ass, and Sneads along with it, will be on the line if watkins does what most draft experts believe he will and Quick/Givens continue to suck.

Yeah can this work? Of course, IF Quick emerges and Givens rebounds. Would YOu hook your wagon to that pipe dream?

I would not.

Or Fisher doesn't believe that the WR position is our key to success. Maybe...just maybe...Fisher watched the damage we did with Bradford and those bums while Stacy was a starter and believes that Bradford and the passing offense can operate quite efficiently with those bums at WR if we have stellar protection and a good running game to work off of.

Maybe Fisher also recognizes that guys like Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey will improve from their rookie to sophomore seasons and that the book is not yet written on Quick and Givens because both are also quite young.

Maybe he's not the fool here. Maybe he just has a different strategy than the one you favor. Frankly, I thought the guy was nuts last year after the SF game when he claimed our problems would be fixed by the running game...but lo and behold, he was right and I was wrong.

The guy has been a NFL Head Coach for around two decades. He has an experienced and smart coaching staff as well as a good scouting department around them. As much as we love our own opinions(trust me, you're talking to the king of that), these guys have demonstrated to me that they know what they're doing. So I'm going to put some trust in them...and not just because I agree with them...but because there is more than one way to build a team.

RFIP, in entrenching yourself in a Watkins or bust stance, you completely close off any other perspective as being valid and that makes it very hard for you to see the forest for the trees.

There is more than one WR in this draft. And even if we don't draft one, Bradford played incredibly well with Stacy as a starter while throwing to, imo, a lesser version of those bums. Because I think Tavon will definitely be better than his rookie form next year and Bradford didn't have a chance to play with Stedman.

So yea, I think Bradford is capable of playing quite well the guys we have as long as he's protected and we can run the ball in 2014. I'm not opposed to grabbing a WR early but it's certainly not the only correct course of action nor will it make or break the 2014 season.

RFIP

Personally I'm excited to see the developments of Bradford + Austin & Bailey this year, I know that they are not the biggest guys on the field, but I think they can be VERY dangerous - I'm looking at a new dawn guys...

When those guys get squashed again by all three NFC west defense (every see the movie Groundhog day?) the dawn won't look so good.

Pray that Quick emerges because if not...

Memphis Ram

Legend
It makes all the sense in the world if one simply looked at Fisher's Titans teams.

His 2008, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Bo Scaife & WR Brandon Jones.
His 2007, 10-6 team's reception leaders were WR Roydell Williams & WR Justin Gage.
His 2003, 12-4 team's reception leaders were WR Derrick Mason & WR Justin McCareins.
His 2002, 11-5 team's reception leaders were WR Derrick Mason & WR Kevin Dyson.
His 2000, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Frank Wychek & WR Derrick Mason.
His 1999, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Frank Wychek & WR Kevin Dyson.

He's had a great deal of success minus this superstar WR that most seem to believe this team needs.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So I will now assume that we will be taking Clowney and Lewan.

Either that,,, or Watkins and Ha Ha.

That settles it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It makes all the sense in the world if one simply looked at Fisher's Titans teams.

His 2008, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Bo Scaife & WR Brandon Jones.
His 2007, 10-6 team's reception leaders were WR Roydell Williams & WR Justin Gage.
His 2003, 12-4 team's reception leaders were WR Derrick Mason & WR Justin McCareins.
His 2002, 11-5 team's reception leaders were WR Derrick Mason & WR Kevin Dyson.
His 2000, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Frank Wychek & WR Derrick Mason.
His 1999, 13-3 team's reception leaders were TE Frank Wychek & WR Kevin Dyson.

He's had a great deal of success minus this superstar WR that most seem to believe this team needs.

Yeah, but the goal is to win a Superbowl. Our extremely experienced coach, of 19 seasons, has won how many?

Personally, I go Mathews. But, I'm not comfortable at WR either and without a ring his strategy doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah, but the goal is to win a Superbowl. Our extremely experienced coach, of 19 seasons, has won how many?

Personally, I go Mathews. But, I'm not comfortable at WR either and without a ring his strategy doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy.

Can't win the Super Bowl if you can't get into the playoffs.
And I recall that his 1999 Titans team almost beat the Greatest Show on Earth in one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Can't win the Super Bowl if you can't get into the playoffs.
And I recall that his 1999 Titans team almost beat the Greatest Show on Earth in one.

Close, but not close enough... :sneaky:

I support Fisher. He's a heck of a leader of men. But the game has changed a lot in favor of a passing attack over those 19 seasons.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Close, but not close enough... :sneaky:

I support Fisher. He's a heck of a leader of men. But the game has changed a lot in favor of a passing attack over those 19 seasons.

Yet, this team did better when he went back to his bread and butter last year and he plays in a division with what many say are two of the best teams in the NFL and both had FAR FEWER passing attempts than any other team in the league.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yet, this team did better when he went back to his bread and butter last year and he plays in a division with what many say are two of the best teams in the NFL and both had FAR FEWER passing attempts than any other team in the league.

Better because of an under performing WR corp?
shrug2.gif

Two best teams had defenses that allowed them to pass less. But the rules have clearly tilted in favor of passing over the years.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Fishers ass, and Sneads along with it, will be on the line if watkins does what most draft experts believe he will and Quick/Givens continue to suck.

Yeah can this work? Of course, IF Quick emerges and Givens rebounds. Would YOu hook your wagon to that pipe dream?

I would not.

:sleep::sleep::sleep:
That precludes anyone else we might draft,have on the team, and or Britt having great seasons.

Watkins is good and may become great, but he isn't the only way this team wins this coming year.

Fisher's ass won't be "on the line" unless the team sucks which it will not,Kroenke is a more patient man than fans and doesn't spend five hours a day agonizing over our draft choices.

rodney c

sammy will be the pick , please the rams want pass up sammy watkins, he said cortland finnegan will be a rams to ?????????????

Am I the only person hoping we draft Watkins, he has a good season, say 700 yard range, and then watch everyone claim that it's Dorial Green-Beckham or bust in next year's draft?

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Trade back with Falcons and take who's left... Robinson, Watkins, Clowney, or Matthews.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else notice this article presented no new information? just sparked old debates lol

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Re-cap: Fisher likes watkins, thinks he is very explosive will be a good pro
Fisher also likes our guys thinks they will improve

:effemine: