Fisher Leaving Clues at Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I appreciate Chase Reynolds, but I'd prefer that roster spot to go to someone who can play (the potential to play) on regular downs too. Chase doesn't offer that. He's not a RB, really. Just no value there.

So... 7 WR? Maybe Marquez can grab that ST love... And we keep some potential at WR.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I appreciate Chase Reynolds, but I'd prefer that roster spot to go to someone who can play (the potential to play) on regular downs too. Chase doesn't offer that. He's not a RB, really. Just no value there.

So... 7 WR? Maybe Marquez can grab that ST love... And we keep some potential at WR.
Someone says this every year. And every year Chase gets a spot.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Ditch Reynolds and keep 7 at WR. Chase can easily be replaced.

Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas
Williams
Spruce
Marquez

I don't think any of the guys I listed above would last on the PS. You can chance losing players with their potential. Williams (I feel) is our future number 1, and Britt replacement. Spruce was the only one to show up in week 1, Thomas, if he fixes the drops, has the highest potential, Cooper is just going to dominate the slot (and don't forget he was the starting kick returner and got 40), and Marquez is more of a ST ace than Chase.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1) Kenny Britt
2) Tavon Austin
3) Pharoh Cooper
4) Nelson Spruce
5) Bradley Marquez
6) Duke Williams

Practice Squad :

Michael Thomas
Paul McRoberts
Marquez North

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Honestly i want Quick to do well and actually show the potential we saw in 4 games two years ago. But at this point if younger guys are making plays and showing up in camp it may be time to move on.

I hope they keep the following 7 WR

1) Tavon Austin
2) Kenny Britt
3) Pharoh Cooper
4) Brian Quick
5) Nelson Spruce
6) Duke Williams
7) Bradley Marquez

Practice Squad
Paul McRoberts
Marquez North

You are correct. Nelson Spruce is 100% going to be on the final roster come game 1.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

This. And yeah... I said it last year as well and yet here he is. Hopefully we have enough talent to make it a reality this season.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
One thing I'm concerned with in this group is a big WR that can actually stretch the field, Britt has showcased the ability to do that at times, but it seems this offense is more about getting rid of the ball quick and giving the WR the opportunity to get Yards after the catch.

I like Spruce because of the fly paper hands, it's refreshing and Bradley Marquez is fantastic on special teams, but I still have not seen one play he's made at WR, so I'm a doubting Thomas (not Michael) when it comes to Marquez as a receiver.
Game 1 pre season and it was super vanilla but I didn't like the look of our offense. That west coast get the bal out super quick thing - 5 guys running 5 yard hook routes. Where's the levels concepts with the 3 routes stretching safeties and opening up zones? Or can't we protect long enough for that? Or can't we get guys open? Or was it just game 1 pre season. Other teams were going swap a lot though

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The WR battle is going to be very interesting to say the least. I wonder if Spruce will go on IR in some way to try to keep him, and other options open longer.

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think people should consider the possibility that Fisher simply forgot to mention Quick.
It's possible that it was an innocent mistake and Quick is still in the plans or perhaps Fisher accidentally had a little Freudian slip moment and unintentionally left Quicks name out.

The one thing I feel pretty certain of is that even if Quick is on his shitlist, he isn't going to let anyone know. It's just not the way he works.
Besides, if we are cursed by the god whose name shall not be spoken and lose a couple of these guys before cuts, then what?

Publicly, Quick is a part of the Rams plans until suddenly he isn't. We won't know until then and Fisher won't ever intentionally tip his hand IMO.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I would hope so....personally I think all 3 of them make it....

I don't think Fisher knows who'll be receiver # 4, 5, 6 just yet....
Duke
Williams is almost a lock in my book.
I'd only put Thomas as a lock because he was drafted and makes woooo type plays...included with the drops
Cooper is safe, but as a receiver leaves a lot to be desired.
Quick....preseason game 3 will tell the tale...
McRoberts...think he's number 8....chances remain at slim and none.
Bradley Marquez....don't know how this guy makes team as special teamer, and he aint special...in the middle of the kickoff team there are 5 guys running down together...Marquez, Lynch, Chase, Hagar, and Davis....I'd replace all of those guys if necessary to add real talent....

I have to believe you're correct LACHAMP.. I assume that Fisher & Groh have had some good one on one conversations regarding the WR's and likely have done a few film grinding sessions from all their camp reps & drills etc.

If Spruce's knee prevents him from playing in the 3rd preseason game he will probably need to have another very good showing at Minnesota in the 4th game to lock up a spot. ( I mean can he miss the rest of preseason and still make the team? anything is possible when you've been blessed with the sticky mitts he has.

I got a chuckle out of Fisher leaving the door open about maybe keeping a long-shot 7th wide receiver on his 2016 53. That was some good old fashion Motivation Psychology to keep the competition burning for the WR's that might be loosing their luster in practice and second guessing there chances of making the team etc. If Fisher keeps 7 pass catchers I would do a back flip.............. off the diving board in the pool ;)

This early in the evaluation process, it seems like we have to break these WR's down into smaller groups.

(TIER 1)

These 2 are guaranteed locks for obvious reasons.
Tavon
Britt

Cooper- unless his drop rate continues for the next 3 games he's a lock
Spruce- unless he's more injured than we're led to believe or was just a 1 game wonder

Quick- Needs to avg more than 1 catch in the next 2 games. He's been decent and a machine in the RedZone at camp but still comes across as more of a big possession receiver. So far he appears to lack the wiggle or quick twitch acceleration you want from the outside Flanker/Split end positions. Does he get a free pass because he's a great redzone threat with that 4 year resume of his?

Marquez- Didn't get his number called vs the Cowboys but everybody says his camp has been very solid with no drops issues. Super Value in SP Teams but until he proves he can get open beyond 5 -6 yards and show some YAC ability is he not expendable? His WR skills need to take off in the next 3 games because like we all know the Rams have a plethora of slot possession receivers.

Thomas- If his preseason game drop rate continues he will be a PSquad bummer because we wanted to believe he was the guy that could make the electric catches down field with cornerbacks draped on him. Has his confidence gone from the penthouse to the outhouse after just one game? Big Time Pressure is on him Saturday or he may not get his swagger back before its too late.

Duke- He had 1 catch for 4 yards with some good downfield blocking vs the Cowboys. He's got freak strength and the strongest hands but those strong hands haven't always been consistent in the camp reports. He is the enigma and has some momentum and swagger heading into Saturdays game. All eyes are intensely focused on him even more.

McRoberts- Showed some nice flashes against the Dallas backup CB's. 3 Receptions for 23 Yards. Sometimes that is all it takes for a WR to step up his game and show another gear we didn't think he had.

M.NORTH
A.HILL
D.RICHARDS

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Spruce is gonna make it, dammit! My favorite moment of Hard Knocks was the part where Spruce scored the TD and Fisher turned to someone on the sideline and said "I told you that MFer could play!"

He makes it. And he and Higbeast become our chain movers.

Yea that one gave me chills.
Gruden followed up by saying Spruce is my sleeper on this Rams team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I agree 100%
The entire bottom half of the Rams roster is light years better than it was just a couple years ago when Reynolds was clearly the bottom half ST's standout. The ST's depth is better by default now. Let's move on and add quality depth on offense/defense by giving a few of these young talented kids a roster spot.

jap

Legend
I don't remember the Rams keeping 7 receivers on the 53..Maybe I've not paid attention, but 6 seems like the $ to me..

. . . especially since they will probably keep four TE's to support the run game. I expect quite a number of 2-TE alignments.

KOWALSKI

Rookie
i don't understand why it's such a big thing that fisher didn't mentioned quick.
but it's not such a big deal with williams.
he mentioned mcroberts but not williams?
dukes first day in camp was just a bunch of drops. his second and third good. after that....silence.
i understand the hype about spruce. i don't get the love affair with duke tbh.