Fisher Leaving Clues at Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't remember the Rams keeping 7 receivers on the 53..Maybe I've not paid attention, but 6 seems like the $ to me..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hope this hasn't come up in another discussion already but fisher said this yesterday when asked about the receiver depth chart:

"It’s wide open. Obviously our top guys are (WR) Kenny (Britt) and (WR) Tavon (Austin) and ‘Coop’ (WR Pharoh Cooper). Once we get past that, it’s wide open. It’s going to be a really exciting two or three weeks to see how they develop. (WR) Michael (Thomas) is coming on, (WR) Paul (McRoberts) is coming on, we know what (WR) Bradley (Marquez) can do – especially in special teams. Unfortunately, Nelson (Spruce) is going to be down for a little bit. Some of the younger guys are going to get a chance to play late in the game. And then as we come down to those decisions, sometimes we’ve kept four, sometimes we’ve kept six, maybe seven. You really don’t know, it really just depends on the talent level." (Via turfshowtimes)

A couple of interesting tidbits.
1. Keeping seven receivers. That would make us all happy since we've got our favorites who may or may not be on roster bubbles (spruce and Williams are examples)
2. Cooper must be really killing it in camp, possibly more than what's being reported.
3. No mention of quick...
The receiver chart is gonna be a roller coaster these next few weeks
I for one would really like to see Spruce make the Team!! He seems to have that " IT Factor"!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I saw a report that duke had a nice catch on tru where he held him off with one hand and snagged the ball in the other. I know it's probably offensive interference but that's impressive. He's such a specimen I'd rather have him than quick based on potential alone
I think that play Saturday (two plays, really) that Dez Bryant made, catching the ball against pretty good coverage by Sensabaugh will have the following affect on the Rams:

• Duke will make the team
  • Quick's slot on the roster became tenuous.
  • Thomas, Duke AND Quick will be given opportunities to be trusted with similar "contested" balls in training camp and the preseason games. Strongest two make the team.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I for one would really like to see Spruce make the Team!! He seems to have that " IT Factor"!

Spruce is gonna make it, dammit! My favorite moment of Hard Knocks was the part where Spruce scored the TD and Fisher turned to someone on the sideline and said "I told you that MFer could play!"

He makes it. And he and Higbeast become our chain movers.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the Nelson Spruce hype needs to be cooled a little for now. Of course he's having a great camp and had 1 good preseason game, but the team needs to make sure he's actually that good or another preseason star. And boy, the Rams have had their fair share of preseason superstars recently. If he straight out beats out Brian Quick, holy cow that is something else.
Good point. He's just been well liked even before camp so that game pushed a lot of fans in his favor

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that play Saturday (two plays, really) that Dez Bryant made, catching the ball against pretty good coverage by Sensabaugh will have the following affect on the Rams:

• Duke will make the team
  • Quick's slot on the roster became tenuous.
  • Thomas, Duke AND Quick will be given opportunities to be trusted with similar "contested" balls in training camp and the preseason games. Strongest two make the team.
Did you see Williams winning that strength competition on hard knocks? He may really be a gifted individual

Big Game

Living The Dream
I think the Nelson Spruce hype needs to be cooled a little for now. Of course he's having a great camp and had 1 good preseason game, but the team needs to make sure he's actually that good or another preseason star. And boy, the Rams have had their fair share of preseason superstars recently. If he straight out beats out Brian Quick, holy cow that is something else.

I feel you Angry Ram, i think everyone likes the kid because he makes all the tough catches. Much like Tyler Higbee they both seem to get open and catch the ball. I agree with you, i want it to translate into the regular season as well when the real bullets are flying. Only time will tell.

But one thing i do know this teams needs guys who can make the tough catches on 3rd down. We can't go another year last in 3rd down completions.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Quick knows he is on the bubble. Look at this pic from Wed camp after he dropped a sure catch. He walked around like that for 2 minutes.
1%20A%20worried%20Quick_zps0qpeagt4.jpg

I say Duke surpasses him.

Mike Thomas? Not so sure. Needs some more time practicing catching the ball.

Cooper has some wicked moves, trouble catching at times. He's in.

Spruce is just solid. I'm pulling for him to make it but seems with the injury the odds aren't in his favor unless they send him to the IR designated for return by week, what is it, 6? If placed on PS he will be claimed, even not clearing waivers.

Of course Britt and Tavon make it.

McRoberts I'm not sold on. PS material.

Bradley Marquez is not really special as a WR but is scrappy and a GREAT special teams player. He'll make it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Thomas, Duke AND Quick will be given opportunities to be trusted with similar "contested" balls in training camp and the preseason games. Strongest two make the team.
I would hope so....personally I think all 3 of them make it....

I don't think Fisher knows who'll be receiver # 4, 5, 6 just yet....
I think the injury may have pushed Spruce to the PS
Duke Williams is almost a lock in my book.
I'd only put Thomas as a lock because he was drafted and makes woooo type plays...included with the drops
Cooper is safe, but as a receiver leaves a lot to be desired.
Quick....preseason game 3 will tell the tale...
McRoberts...think he's number 8....chances remain at slim and none.
Bradley Marquez....don't know how this guy makes team as special teamer, and he aint special...in the middle of the kickoff team there are 5 guys running down together...Marquez, Lynch, Chase, Hagar, and Davis....I'd replace all of those guys if necessary to add real talent....

Athos

Legend
IMO, there is no way the Rams keep 7 WRs, unless a couple stashed on the PS are included in that number, they are a run first team. Biggest clue right now as to which WRs have the inside track to making team is who's running on the first team Special Teams. If someone is running 2nd or 3rd string Special Teams and 3rd or 4th team position, then don't look for them to be around past camp.

WR is going to be a position the Rams look to the waiver wire after cutdown days to upgrade. Sad fact is, it's still a very weak position.

Fact is, Rams have a stockpile of slot guys. A shit load.

Outside guys? Yet to see it. Britt ya. Average at best. I don't see a consistent outside guy. And you need that in an offense.

JerseyRam1

Rookie
I dont see a need for Quick if you have Britt and Higbee as starters. I rather use more dynamic WR's; Austin, Cooper and Spruce when they spread the field. Snead made the right call last year, cutting another former 2nd rounder in Pead. Time to do the same with Quick

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I don't have any favorites but I wouldn't be bothered if Quick was not on the final roster. I don't feel like he's ever going to get it. But I have a feeling he'll always have a place on a Fisher team because he can run block as a receiver.

It looked like he was getting it in 2014 until he got hurt. He didn't seem to be the same after that? Maybe he was playing to not get hurt again? Who knows? THat said, I agree with you in that it wouldn't bother me if he wasn't on the roster. He has had his chances even for a project..

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Honestly i want Quick to do well and actually show the potential we saw in 4 games two years ago. But at this point if younger guys are making plays and showing up in camp it may be time to move on.

I hope they keep the following 7 WR

1) Tavon Austin
2) Kenny Britt
3) Pharoh Cooper
4) Brian Quick
5) Nelson Spruce
6) Duke Williams
7) Bradley Marquez

Practice Squad
Paul McRoberts
Marquez North

Totally agree man. I know most are down on Quick and many were saying he was non existent first game. Which is odd because he caught the only pass thrown at him for a 13 yard 1st down and he had some really nice blocks on TD drives. Not to mention he was the guy that ran all the way back to cause the fumble (which we didn't get) on the Goff INT. I get he hasn't done much and folks are disappointed but he is still the most physically gifted WR we have.
And I personally think he surprises people this year (I know..about time)>

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Maybe Fisher not mentioning Quick will get his attention. He has the talent, he just needs to put it all together.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I always felt there was 3 locks @ WR on this team
1-Britt
2-Austin
3-Cooper
The rest have a chance to make the team. I think it will play out like this
4-Thomas/Duke/Quick One will be Britts backup
5-Spruce/Marquez One will back up Cooper.
6-Best ST's player left over from the above.
7- I don't think we will keep 7.

Looking at my list above Quick could be in trouble.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Duke and/or Quick will make the roster, based on their run blocking. Both have the size, strength and willingness to be very good blockers and we all know Fisher wants to feature the run. But if its only 1 of them on the roster, IMO it would be Duke.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

Nelson Spruce was making a run for a roster spot during rookie orientation and organized-team
activities.

His performance against the Cowboys put him on fans’ radar. He was already there with the coaches and front office.

Spruce no doubt would benefit from another good exhibition performance. But as long as he is physically sound by the opener, that might be enough to make the team.Gary Klein ‏@LATimesklein 1h

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People need to stop putting Bradley Marquez off this team - he is a virtual lock due to his ST prowess and the flashes shown at WR.

Britt/Austin/Cooper/Marquez are locks for the team

The last two spots will be between Quick/Thomas/Spruce - I bet they try to put Spruce on the practice squad, although I would be proud of Fisher if he cut Quick and went with Spruce. Duke Williams will be on the PS because no team will put him on their 53 with the issues he had at Auburn.