Fisher has extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That isn't quite right, tagging player for a 3rd year = The offer number jumps up to the same as the quarterback tag number or 144 percent of the player's second tag offer, whichever is greater.

thus the 3rd year tag would likely be closer to $27 mil....

not to mention that you prevent yourself from using the tag as leverage for other players coming due in those years...

See, that's what I thought...

And with that, there's simply no way if Fisher's here in 2017 that AD will stay.

however the numbers play out, going the Franchise tag would be BAD and end up with AD eventually leaving and taking a huge cap chunk in the meantime.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can you reward anybody in charge of this sinking ship . Just watch others teams playing if you want to see how bad these guys are . They went from 3-1 to the 31st ranked team in the league . I'm not sure they could beat the Browns .
Some of these guys have quit .

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Add the Rams PR Department to the list of ineptitude in this organization. The extension was signed in the offseason - they could have announced it then. They could have announced at 3-1. No, they slip it out after the worst week a Rams coach has had in a long time.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
True. Then again "Foles is our QB"....and how many other "votes of confidence" from Fisher that ended up being kisses of death?

I know he doesn't want to keep putting new OCs in front of Goff, but we have the worst offense in the league. Is he REALLY going to stick with Boras going into next year if he's not fired and expect that we're going to score 10+ more points per game?

spock.jpg

The logic escapes me...
How can you reward anybody in charge of this sinking ship . Just watch others teams playing if you want to see how bad these guys are . They went from 3-1 to the 31st ranked team in the league . I'm not sure they could beat the Browns .
Some of these guys have quit .

I see poor play

No quitters

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

It doesn't have to be inevitable. And after seeing JJ and Chris Long move on and have at least a chance at the playoffs, you can bet that if Fisher is still the HC, AD isn't going to want to give a THING to this org.

I don't want that. AD is my favorite Ram to come along in a LOOOONG time.

But this is that pesky pattern thing that gets folks upset.

sorry...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Fisher plays well in the division because of exposure. The more he plays, the less he has to study and teams don't change all that much. Fisher isn't a very good game planner which is why when he plays teams he's familiar with, he does much better than new teams. That's established.

They've been other teams outside the division as well.

The defense hasn't gotten better every year. The D this year has taken a substantial step back and that's with solid health for the most part.

??? They are 12th in points allowed, and 11th in yards allowed. That's AFTER the Saints game. And they haven't been healthy. Both Tru and Robert Quinn have been in and out of the lineup.

Tomlin's teams have consistently underachieved? What? In his 9 seasons as HC, he's been to the playoffs 6 times including winning the Super Bowl..TWICE. They won the division 3 times in his first 4 seasons. If that's underachieving...SIGN ME UP!!!

Yes, they should be as good as NE every year and go deep in the playoffs. Too much talent. They lay eggs against weak Ravens teams. Even going against the Browns, I have to hold my breath.

I know we're not gonna agree and that's cool. I just don't want you to be horribly disillusioned in a few months is all.

I'm not disillusioned at all. For the short term, I think this is a good move. That is all.

I realize it's gonna be me vs. the entire ROD forum, and I'm OK with that, too.

Ellard80

Legend
They've been other teams outside the division as well.

??? They are 12th in points allowed, and 11th in yards allowed. That's AFTER the Saints game. And they haven't been healthy. Both Tru and Robert Quinn have been in and out of the lineup.

Yes, they should be as good as NE every year and go deep in the playoffs. Too much talent. They lay eggs against weak Ravens teams. Even going against the Browns, I have to hold my breath.

I'm not disillusioned at all. For the short term, I think this is a good move. That is all.

I realize it's gonna be me vs. the entire ROD forum, and I'm OK with that, too.

I admire your bravery.. and I understand your stance.

But I just don't see how they could have Fisher comes back.. unless he wins a few in a row here, there is no way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's back. This information wouldn't have leaked today if they intended on canning him.
Don't agree. If the extension was truly signed before the season, I wouldn't read much in to it.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The Steelers switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 in that time and had significant player injury during some of that time as well as noteworthy coaching turnover. And still they competed at a high level.

Again...IF they retain Fisher...I'll bet all my ROD bucks the Rams don't even get to 8-8... not because I'm rooting against my Rams, but because I know an ant can't....move a rubber tree plant.... even if he's got high hopes....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that were true, how come this team has won against some of the better teams (Broncos, shitchickens, Cardinals) and against other teams as well?
The same reason they've lost to SAN Fran for their only 2 wins in their last 15 games. Any given Sunday.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, at least we will be able to beat the sea pigeons next year. . .

But lets say, we HAVE to hire a real OC, Norv Turner anyone?

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Bonsignore: Despite contract extension, Rams, Jeff Fisher are likely headed for divorce
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-737386-fisher-year.html
FOXBOUROUGH, Mass. – As far as renewing wedding vows go, this is about as apprehensive as it gets.

Forget about about reserving a chapel and reception hall. The Rams and Jeff Fisher might as well go straight to divorce court.

That is, unless you believe the two-year contract extension Fisher and the Rams finally made public on Sunday actually means he’ll be on their sideline next season.

It doesn’t.

Barring a major turnaround the rest of the season – not to mention turning a deaf ear to irate Rams fan and all perspective, logic and common sense – Fisher will collect one more year of pay to essentially go away.

The financial gesture represents the Rams appreciation for his work in getting them from St. Louis to Los Angeles and the difficulties he endured during the two-year process of breaking up with St. Louis and beginning a new life in Southern California.

The push out the door reflects the corner Fisher backed his bosses into with another season of mediocrity, offensive struggles, excuses and lingering problems that went unfixed.

It’s a contract extension that feels more and more like an exit package.

Even Fisher hinted at the tenuous nature.

“I’m expecting to be the coach of this franchise,” he said.

But then added, practically.

“However I really understand the wins and losses fall on my shoulders. That’s the fact of our business and I get that.”

He’s got four weeks to change that narrative, although if the Rams are wise they’ll cut their losses and move on.

The fan base is angry, and with PSL payments coming at some point, there’s no sense in upsetting the paying customers by holding onto a coach they’ve lost all confidence in.

The Rams wanted the relationship with their coach to work. And still do.

But what choice do they really have considering the fifth straight losing season he’s about to deliver?

That was assured on Sunday when the New England Patriots dismantled the Rams, 26-10, in a methodical, clinical beatdown that highlighted all the Patriots strengths and exposed all the Rams weaknesses.

The loss dropped the Rams to 4-8, and with the Falcons, Seahawks and Cardinals still on the schedule chances are they’ll finish below .500.

Again.

You’d be hard-pressed to find any coach on any level get a sixth year after five straight years of mediocrity. For the Rams to even entertain such an idea is almost an affront to the intellect.

Most likely, they’ll part ways with Fisher at the end of this season and start fresh with a new head coach and vision and culture. Preferably someone with a track record turning offenses around and developing young quarterbacks.

As it should be.

Which begs a very valid question: What’s the point of even extending Fisher?

And why now, of all moments, to put it out there?

This is where it gets a little complicated.

Whether you agree or disagree, the Rams felt a debt of gratitude to Fisher for holding the team together the last 24 months on the way to Los Angeles. It was an arduous process in which Fisher and his staff and players moved like nomads from Earth City, Missouri to Oxnard to Irvine to Thousand Oaks.

“We had a lot of stuff going on this offseason,” Fisher said. “A lot of stuff going on.”

That, coupled with reworking the depleted roster he inherited in 2012 along with General Manager Les Snead was the impetus to extend both Fisher and Snead’s contract.

Not the greatest rational for walking down the aisle again, but the Rams were hopeful a step in the right direction this season would justify their loyalty.

So they went to a knee during the offseason, took Fisher’s hand and asked: “So, um, how about it?”

Almost before Fisher could blurt out yes – but not before he officially signed the contract, which he confirmed he’s done – the Rams were stuttering and stammering about needing more time to think about things.

But even they know you don’t pop the question if you aren’t willing to accept the answer.

The yes stood, even as the weeks went by and the losses piled up and the offense took major steps backward.

As did the agreement, which the Rams tried to keep under wraps trying to figure out the right time to announce it.

Fisher just rolled with it.

“It’s not my place to make that announcement,” he said.

That window never opened, not with another season under Fisher going sideways and Rams fans growing more and more anxious about him coming back for a new round of 7-9 seasons.

That it came out the way it did early Sunday morning via sources and leaked information tells you all you really know about what the Rams think about the whole thing.

Even Fisher feigned innocence, although the smart money is on someone from his camp getting word out.

“I don’t know where it came from or the timing,” he insisted, “It just ended up coming out today.”

As for the Rams, they barely acknowledged the report and didn’t even bother to put out a press release.

Not exactly a happy couple, right?

As quickly as the news broke, word was discreetly sent indicating the two-year deal essentially amounts to just a one-year contract as the Rams own the option on 2018.

They can easily walk away from Fisher after this year and just owe him for 2017.

Which means he’s got a four-week window to win their hearts back.

Based on their play the last two weeks, that seems highly unlikely.

Forget a wedding chapel.

Divorce court seems more likely.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Oh, I agree with that.

But my point is that it's easy to get traded away from the Rams. Call Fisher on his crap. All AD has to do is just call Fisher on his nonsense and they'll trade him.

It's possible he could be traded before things got ugly, but if AD wants to go, I could totally see him going toe to toe with Fisher, balling out on Sundays and doing the bare minimum during the week and what could Fisher do? Bench his best player? mkay...I'm sure that'd go over with Gregg Williams.

I just see a lot of bad dominoes that can potentially fall if Fisher's back after December and AD being traded is just one of them. Seems crazy, but the Rams would be faced with paying tons of money to a player actively in discontent mode on a losing team with an embattled coach struggling to keep the locker room. That he's one of if not the best player in the NFL may not matter to the FO/HC who are fighting for their jobs and aren't being watched closely by an absentee owner...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Bonsignore: Despite contract extension, Rams, Jeff Fisher are likely headed for divorce
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-737386-fisher-year.html
FOXBOUROUGH, Mass. – As far as renewing wedding vows go, this is about as apprehensive as it gets.

Forget about about reserving a chapel and reception hall. The Rams and Jeff Fisher might as well go straight to divorce court.

That is, unless you believe the two-year contract extension Fisher and the Rams finally made public on Sunday actually means he’ll be on their sideline next season.

It doesn’t.

Barring a major turnaround the rest of the season – not to mention turning a deaf ear to irate Rams fan and all perspective, logic and common sense – Fisher will collect one more year of pay to essentially go away.

The financial gesture represents the Rams appreciation for his work in getting them from St. Louis to Los Angeles and the difficulties he endured during the two-year process of breaking up with St. Louis and beginning a new life in Southern California.

The push out the door reflects the corner Fisher backed his bosses into with another season of mediocrity, offensive struggles, excuses and lingering problems that went unfixed.

It’s a contract extension that feels more and more like an exit package.

Even Fisher hinted at the tenuous nature.

“I’m expecting to be the coach of this franchise,” he said.

But then added, practically.

“However I really understand the wins and losses fall on my shoulders. That’s the fact of our business and I get that.”

He’s got four weeks to change that narrative, although if the Rams are wise they’ll cut their losses and move on.

The fan base is angry, and with PSL payments coming at some point, there’s no sense in upsetting the paying customers by holding onto a coach they’ve lost all confidence in.

The Rams wanted the relationship with their coach to work. And still do.

But what choice do they really have considering the fifth straight losing season he’s about to deliver?

That was assured on Sunday when the New England Patriots dismantled the Rams, 26-10, in a methodical, clinical beatdown that highlighted all the Patriots strengths and exposed all the Rams weaknesses.

The loss dropped the Rams to 4-8, and with the Falcons, Seahawks and Cardinals still on the schedule chances are they’ll finish below .500.

Again.

You’d be hard-pressed to find any coach on any level get a sixth year after five straight years of mediocrity. For the Rams to even entertain such an idea is almost an affront to the intellect.

Most likely, they’ll part ways with Fisher at the end of this season and start fresh with a new head coach and vision and culture. Preferably someone with a track record turning offenses around and developing young quarterbacks.

As it should be.

Which begs a very valid question: What’s the point of even extending Fisher?

And why now, of all moments, to put it out there?

This is where it gets a little complicated.

Whether you agree or disagree, the Rams felt a debt of gratitude to Fisher for holding the team together the last 24 months on the way to Los Angeles. It was an arduous process in which Fisher and his staff and players moved like nomads from Earth City, Missouri to Oxnard to Irvine to Thousand Oaks.

“We had a lot of stuff going on this offseason,” Fisher said. “A lot of stuff going on.”

That, coupled with reworking the depleted roster he inherited in 2012 along with General Manager Les Snead was the impetus to extend both Fisher and Snead’s contract.

Not the greatest rational for walking down the aisle again, but the Rams were hopeful a step in the right direction this season would justify their loyalty.

So they went to a knee during the offseason, took Fisher’s hand and asked: “So, um, how about it?”

Almost before Fisher could blurt out yes – but not before he officially signed the contract, which he confirmed he’s done – the Rams were stuttering and stammering about needing more time to think about things.

But even they know you don’t pop the question if you aren’t willing to accept the answer.

The yes stood, even as the weeks went by and the losses piled up and the offense took major steps backward.

As did the agreement, which the Rams tried to keep under wraps trying to figure out the right time to announce it.

Fisher just rolled with it.

“It’s not my place to make that announcement,” he said.

That window never opened, not with another season under Fisher going sideways and Rams fans growing more and more anxious about him coming back for a new round of 7-9 seasons.

That it came out the way it did early Sunday morning via sources and leaked information tells you all you really know about what the Rams think about the whole thing.

Even Fisher feigned innocence, although the smart money is on someone from his camp getting word out.

“I don’t know where it came from or the timing,” he insisted, “It just ended up coming out today.”

As for the Rams, they barely acknowledged the report and didn’t even bother to put out a press release.

Not exactly a happy couple, right?

As quickly as the news broke, word was discreetly sent indicating the two-year deal essentially amounts to just a one-year contract as the Rams own the option on 2018.

They can easily walk away from Fisher after this year and just owe him for 2017.

Which means he’s got a four-week window to win their hearts back.

Based on their play the last two weeks, that seems highly unlikely.

Forget a wedding chapel.

Divorce court seems more likely.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

HERE'S HOPIN'...

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Giving Fisher a years severance pay and letting him go, would make the organization much more attractive to any new coaching candidates.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Fisher is actually Captain Ron

image.jpeg

p.s. I haven't yet had too many sadness beers, but i am walking around aimlessly looking for a chair

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This BS about him still being on the hot seat is laughable. Jeff Fisher is the 2017 coach - he can (and might) go Ofer for the rest of the year and that will still be true.

If 2017 is as bad he may not get the 2nd year but we aren't getting a new regime this offseason. Buckle in for more of the same.