Fisher has extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's back. This information wouldn't have leaked today if they intended on canning him.

I actually think the opposite....

Why Jeff Fisher’s contract extension with Rams means pretty much nothing

By Marcus DiNitto

[www.sportingnews.com]

Don’t cross Jeff Fisher’s name off your hot-seat list just yet.

While the Los Angeles Rams have signed coach Fisher to a two-year contract extension that would keep him with the team through 2018, ESPN reported it is not known whether the deal includes team options, and cautions, "As a fact, nothing is guaranteed beyond this season."

Even with the extension in place, Fisher’s future with the Rams is “still up in the air and will largely depend on how the team plays this season and how it finishes out,” the report says.

If the Rams play well, Fisher will keep his job; if they don’t, he'll get fired but make more money because of this extension.

While Fisher’s new deal was signed this season, it was agreed to during the preseason, according to an NFL Network report. Fisher’s current deal was to expire this year.

A decision to bring Fisher back next season will certainly perplex Rams fans. The team has had a losing record in each of the first four years of Fisher’s tenure, and this season — his fifth with the team — it is 4-7 ahead of Sunday's game at the Patriots.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Absolutely correct....what surprises and disappoints me at the same time, is how many on this blog seem to ignore what's been written and said previously right here. Fisher clearly stated only a couple of weeks ago that he had no intention of replacing his OC once again,

He spoke about how he had done so twice before and he wasn't going to do it again (next year). Now we have people posting about Turner or whomever simply because some empty headed guy like Bradshaw goofs around on the half time show or some other knucklehead speculates about complete nonsense......very disappointing all around. :baghead:
If you do the same thing over and over again it will work.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I actually think the opposite....

Why Jeff Fisher’s contract extension with Rams means pretty much nothing

By Marcus DiNitto

[www.sportingnews.com]

Don’t cross Jeff Fisher’s name off your hot-seat list just yet.

While the Los Angeles Rams have signed coach Fisher to a two-year contract extension that would keep him with the team through 2018, ESPN reported it is not known whether the deal includes team options, and cautions, "As a fact, nothing is guaranteed beyond this season."

Even with the extension in place, Fisher’s future with the Rams is “still up in the air and will largely depend on how the team plays this season and how it finishes out,” the report says.

If the Rams play well, Fisher will keep his job; if they don’t, he'll get fired but make more money because of this extension.

While Fisher’s new deal was signed this season, it was agreed to during the preseason, according to an NFL Network report. Fisher’s current deal was to expire this year.

A decision to bring Fisher back next season will certainly perplex Rams fans. The team has had a losing record in each of the first four years of Fisher’s tenure, and this season — his fifth with the team — it is 4-7 ahead of Sunday's game at the Patriots.

Here's to hoping the LA fans let their disapproval be known.
I am heading for the closest altar.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And another thought
Here's to hoping the LA fans let their disapproval be known.
I am heading for the closest altar.
I like this thought process from tonyde off the Herd board....The Rams didn't announce the extension, it was leaked. Fishers people leaked it. They probably see it's only going to get worse for him the last 5 games. Fishers CYO. Won't help his relationship with the front office. It was agreed to a while back. One year guaranteed, one year teM option. Payback for the last two yeRs of upheaval. Look around twitter. The reporters with rams credibility are already reporting this...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
True. Then again "Foles is our QB"....and how many other "votes of confidence" from Fisher that ended up being kisses of death?

I know he doesn't want to keep putting new OCs in front of Goff, but we have the worst offense in the league. Is he REALLY going to stick with Boras going into next year if he's not fired and expect that we're going to score 10+ more points per game?

spock.jpg

The logic escapes me...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Every minute Fisher coaches this team is wasted. He's simply a bad coach. Williams put together the D and he's had 2 solid ST coordinators iirc. By every metric that HCs are measured, he's just...bad. Not even mediocre...bad. And any measure he seems okay aren't HC measures, but FO jobs that he's taken on. If he wants to be Team President, fine, but drafting well on D with Snead still doesn't make him a good HC that can put together solid game plans, manage the game clock, manage challenges, personnel packages, etc.

If that were true, how come this team has won against some of the better teams (Broncos, shitchickens, Cardinals) and against other teams as well?

Yeah, with this extension that window is about to close. If Fisher isn't fired at the end of the year, AD won't resign. I'll bet all my ROD bucks on that. And that will END the "good thing going on defense". AD is a hardcore winner who wants to win at everything...even ping pong. I'm like that so I understand.

I don't buy this. Not for one second. The defense has gotten better every year.

Two things. Firstly, Goff hasn't hardly been developed. Look at his tape in college and look at him now. Does he LOOK much different? Nope. He hasn't been developed, not in any real way. What they're doing is inculcating him into a disastrously bad offense which is ridiculously convoluted. THAT takes time. But Boras isn't likely to be retained which means that Goff will have another OC next year. And then Fisher will be finally fired and Goff for the third year in a row will have a new OC with the new coach. Let's just call it the "Bradfording" of Goff. THAT, my friend, is how to stunt his development. The way to get him developed is to fire Fisher and get an Offensive staff in immediately that actually knows how to develop a QB properly. Don't wait. Do it now.

Well 3 games doesn't really tell the whole story. Sam Bradford has his best seasons here under Jeff Fisher..

Actually, the installation of a functioning offense would yield immediate results and while the EP offense takes usually 2 years to really fully install, each week, the players would be more and more on the same page. The various Coryell variants can be installed even faster. I'm partial to the EP variants, but either if they're coherent and functional would be an immediate upgrade and immediately yield significant results. Why? Because players wouldn't be so dang lost. The offense would make sense. And I disagree that this team isn't talented enough to withstand a reset. This team is MORE talented than the 9ers team when Harbaugh came in and they went from a middling, undisciplined disaster under a "player-friendly, defensive minded HC" in Singletary to 3 straight NFC Championship games. The 9ers are a pretty recent example that teams like ours simply NEED a change in leadership and scheme and those can lead to immediate and massive amounts of success.

Mike Singletary was a dolt of a HC, I agree. I also agree this team needs to get better offensively. I don't think a change in coaches will help that, b/c I really do think this team has the talent on O.

I dunno what that means. I mean players aren't at each other's throats, but imagine the chemistry if this team were winning...

Exactly. It seems like forever ago, but it was good times at 3-1. But now, it's not a fun time. I still see a team fighting.

Stan is not an "all-in owner. However, the last thing Fisher is is a pure football guy. He's as political as they come. That's how he's different from a guy like Mike Singletary, for example. But Fisher being such a part of the NFL power structure and Competition Committee and whatnot is anything, but pure. Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick are pure football guys. All football all the time. So, I'm sorry, but that characterization is just not true and it's not a matter of opinion.

IDK about Bill Belicheat, but Mike Tomlin is also political. He's a part of the competition committtee as well. And as a fan of the Steelers, it's funny how you are relentless on Jeff Fisher yet Mike Tomlin teams have consistently underachieved. But liie Jeff Fisher, I think he's a good coach that knows football.

Wait. Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this team played like hell for Spags at the end. They balled out. They didn't win, but you could see that they fought like hell. You saying Spags shouldn't have been fired because he didn't lose the team and they competed? That's such a low bar. I mean you're totally entitled to have that opinion, but if that's your take, you're going to be talking Apples v Oranges with most folks because most folks are going to expect HCs to WIN, not just compete. But, I respect if that's where you're coming from. I will disagree with it with gusto, but I respect your opinion.

Ehh I remember Steven Jackson screaming at them against the shitchickens after they (former coaches) refused to give it to him on the goalline.

I can't speak intelligently about the situation in Houston. I can say that with respect to the Rams, some of the issues with the Rams cannot be "fixed". The Rams offense cannot be "fixed". This offense is broken and needs to be replaced. Period. It will never...infinity...never be successful...not with Brady at QB. Never be successful...because it's structurally and schematically deficient. I said this PRIOR TO THE PRESEASON. And we've seen in our few wins and our many losses that our offense is the worst in the NFL by quite a lot for the reasons I articulated before we took a snap.

In Houston, BOB is the closest thing to Mike Singletary. That team has talent everywhere, even Brock I think is a good QB. There are reports he (BOB) gets into it with his QB, not aware of game situations, etc. It's annoying. Plus he's a jerk. And the only reason they are in first is b/c the rest of the AFCS is that much worse.

But, @Mackeyser even though I disagree with your entire premise and I'm sticking to my guns RE: Jeff Fisher, I do respect your post and opinion (moreso than others). Thanks.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that were true, how come this team has won against some of the better teams (Broncos, shitchickens, Cardinals) and against other teams as well?

How come we have our ass handed to us the last two games .. lost to the niners ( their only win ) .. a meltdown against the phins (a game where a good HC would have had it killed off by the end of the second half ) ..Fisher Will be the most the HC with the most losses of all time ... how you can even contemplate that he is the answer for this team is beyond me .. you say we have talent on offense ( I agree within in reason ) how come tache cant win with them ? What are the reason we are the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL .. bearing in mind the league consists of the winless browns and the should be winless niners

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Ah, ok. Well, if the Rams try to drag this out, they'll lose him, eventually. He'll play out his contract and you know he'll be gone. The minute he gets to the tag stage, he's gone and the Rams get nothing for him. He's simply playing for that next contract elsewhere at that stage.

the Rams only hope in signing him is to fire Fisher at the end of the season and give him a reason to stay.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

That isn't quite right, tagging player for a 3rd year = The offer number jumps up to the same as the quarterback tag number or 144 percent of the player's second tag offer, whichever is greater.

thus the 3rd year tag would likely be closer to $27 mil....

not to mention that you prevent yourself from using the tag as leverage for other players coming due in those years...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
How come we have our ass handed to us the last two games

Couldn't stop Drew Brees in the 2nd half (Asshole Face was gonna run up the score regardless)

lost to the niners ( their only win )

B/c that is what they (SF) does. They did it game 1 in 2015 as well.

a meltdown against the phins (a game where a good HC would have had it killed off by the end of the second half )

No disagreement here. But at some point, someone on either side of the ball needed to make a play on the field. I don't think a coaching change would make that situation different. The league is full of games like that.

. how you can even contemplate that he is the answer for this team is beyond me

Didn't say he was "the" answer. I simply agree with this 2 year max move. And I'm sticking with it.

.. you say we have talent on offense ( I agree within in reason ) how come tache cant win with them ?

If I knew the answer to that, then everyone on this thread would be in agreement with each other. Clearly that isn't happening. We're not winning b/c it's a young offense. We had a revolving QB for 3 years prior to this year. They have shown signs, but again for the umpteeth time, with a little more development this offense can improve.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, Angry, it's like this.

Fisher plays well in the division because of exposure. The more he plays, the less he has to study and teams don't change all that much. Fisher isn't a very good game planner which is why when he plays teams he's familiar with, he does much better than new teams. That's established.

The defense hasn't gotten better every year. The D this year has taken a substantial step back and that's with solid health for the most part.

Tomlin's teams have consistently underachieved? What? In his 9 seasons as HC, he's been to the playoffs 6 times including winning the Super Bowl..TWICE. They won the division 3 times in his first 4 seasons. If that's underachieving...SIGN ME UP!!!

I know we're not gonna agree and that's cool. I just don't want you to be horribly disillusioned in a few months is all.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Welp, I hope he'll overhaul the coaching staff on offense. While continuity is nice, he should scrap that so-called ball-control philosophy on offense and have someone else take complete control on offense; we need someone who's a mismatch kind of coach on offense. If nothing good changes on offensive coaching, no worries, I can simply take a break from watching football. It's hard to like the NFL in the past few years anyways.