Fisher has extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams77

Starter
IMG_0423.GIF
Fish gonna be celebrating tonight

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s a contract extension that feels more and more like an exit package.

Even Fisher hinted at the tenuous nature.

“I’m expecting to be the coach of this franchise,” he said.

But then added, practically.

“However I really understand the wins and losses fall on my shoulders. That’s the fact of our business and I get that.”
This kind of stuff is why I think it is pointless to get so wound up over the news of the extension. It is what it is and we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Giving Fisher a years severance pay and letting him go, would make the organization much more attractive to any new coaching candidates.
Good point and it may not be far from what is really going on.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This BS about him still being on the hot seat is laughable. Jeff Fisher is the 2017 coach - he can (and might) go Ofer for the rest of the year and that will still be true.

If 2017 is as bad he may not get the 2nd year but we aren't getting a new regime this offseason. Buckle in for more of the same.
He's not on the hot seat. He's toast.
4 more games of fisher and he's gone.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Bonsignore: Despite contract extension, Rams, Jeff Fisher are likely headed for divorce
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/rams-737386-fisher-year.html
FOXBOUROUGH, Mass. – As far as renewing wedding vows go, this is about as apprehensive as it gets.

Forget about about reserving a chapel and reception hall. The Rams and Jeff Fisher might as well go straight to divorce court.

That is, unless you believe the two-year contract extension Fisher and the Rams finally made public on Sunday actually means he’ll be on their sideline next season.

It doesn’t.

Barring a major turnaround the rest of the season – not to mention turning a deaf ear to irate Rams fan and all perspective, logic and common sense – Fisher will collect one more year of pay to essentially go away.

The financial gesture represents the Rams appreciation for his work in getting them from St. Louis to Los Angeles and the difficulties he endured during the two-year process of breaking up with St. Louis and beginning a new life in Southern California.

The push out the door reflects the corner Fisher backed his bosses into with another season of mediocrity, offensive struggles, excuses and lingering problems that went unfixed.

It’s a contract extension that feels more and more like an exit package.

Even Fisher hinted at the tenuous nature.

“I’m expecting to be the coach of this franchise,” he said.

But then added, practically.

Look at the last two lines-------Fisher knows he's NOT coming back. Fisher's people leaked the extension deal today as a last "ef u Rams supporters, I'll still be getting paid" (and that's just like him). A one year extension with a club option means he gets 1 year pay for doing nothing, second year option is declined. Stan is still a smart businessman, and he's into it to make money; taking a one year loss by paying Fisher is still better than losing the LA market. Fisher's done, he won't be back after this season. And as far as moving Fisher "upstairs", Stan will probably be extremely pissed about this leaked info and kill that deal as well.

Fisher will finish this season, set the most losses record, and end his tenure with the LA Rams.
“However I really understand the wins and losses fall on my shoulders. That’s the fact of our business and I get that.”

He’s got four weeks to change that narrative, although if the Rams are wise they’ll cut their losses and move on.

The fan base is angry, and with PSL payments coming at some point, there’s no sense in upsetting the paying customers by holding onto a coach they’ve lost all confidence in.

The Rams wanted the relationship with their coach to work. And still do.

But what choice do they really have considering the fifth straight losing season he’s about to deliver?

That was assured on Sunday when the New England Patriots dismantled the Rams, 26-10, in a methodical, clinical beatdown that highlighted all the Patriots strengths and exposed all the Rams weaknesses.

The loss dropped the Rams to 4-8, and with the Falcons, Seahawks and Cardinals still on the schedule chances are they’ll finish below .500.

Again.

You’d be hard-pressed to find any coach on any level get a sixth year after five straight years of mediocrity. For the Rams to even entertain such an idea is almost an affront to the intellect.

Most likely, they’ll part ways with Fisher at the end of this season and start fresh with a new head coach and vision and culture. Preferably someone with a track record turning offenses around and developing young quarterbacks.

As it should be.

Which begs a very valid question: What’s the point of even extending Fisher?

And why now, of all moments, to put it out there?

This is where it gets a little complicated.

Whether you agree or disagree, the Rams felt a debt of gratitude to Fisher for holding the team together the last 24 months on the way to Los Angeles. It was an arduous process in which Fisher and his staff and players moved like nomads from Earth City, Missouri to Oxnard to Irvine to Thousand Oaks.

“We had a lot of stuff going on this offseason,” Fisher said. “A lot of stuff going on.”

That, coupled with reworking the depleted roster he inherited in 2012 along with General Manager Les Snead was the impetus to extend both Fisher and Snead’s contract.

Not the greatest rational for walking down the aisle again, but the Rams were hopeful a step in the right direction this season would justify their loyalty.

So they went to a knee during the offseason, took Fisher’s hand and asked: “So, um, how about it?”

Almost before Fisher could blurt out yes – but not before he officially signed the contract, which he confirmed he’s done – the Rams were stuttering and stammering about needing more time to think about things.

But even they know you don’t pop the question if you aren’t willing to accept the answer.

The yes stood, even as the weeks went by and the losses piled up and the offense took major steps backward.

As did the agreement, which the Rams tried to keep under wraps trying to figure out the right time to announce it.

Fisher just rolled with it.

“It’s not my place to make that announcement,” he said.

That window never opened, not with another season under Fisher going sideways and Rams fans growing more and more anxious about him coming back for a new round of 7-9 seasons.

That it came out the way it did early Sunday morning via sources and leaked information tells you all you really know about what the Rams think about the whole thing.

Even Fisher feigned innocence, although the smart money is on someone from his camp getting word out.

“I don’t know where it came from or the timing,” he insisted, “It just ended up coming out today.”

As for the Rams, they barely acknowledged the report and didn’t even bother to put out a press release.

Not exactly a happy couple, right?

As quickly as the news broke, word was discreetly sent indicating the two-year deal essentially amounts to just a one-year contract as the Rams own the option on 2018.

They can easily walk away from Fisher after this year and just owe him for 2017.

Which means he’s got a four-week window to win their hearts back.

Based on their play the last two weeks, that seems highly unlikely.

Forget a wedding chapel.

Divorce court seems more likely.

Contact the writer: vbonsignore@scng.com

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd like to read the details on the extension. Everyone's saying that he got extended but none of the headlines say that he's extended as an HC. There's still a possibility that he might just be reassigned as Rams President of Football Operations while we find a suitable replacement to implement a modern coaching staff.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He was extended as the HC through the 2018 season.

He signed the deal prior to the preseason. They wanted to announce it when there was some momentum. When the team was 3-1 shoulda been good, but for whatever reason, the team decided to wait.

Apparently, the team has the option on 2018, so if Fisher is fired, they're only on the hook for 2017. What it amounts to is not forcing the coach to coach as a lame duck. As others have mentioned, that won't go unnoticed within the small coaching fraternity.

Whether they roll Fisher into a different role within the organization is yet to be seen, but per Fisher, he signed his extension prior to the season, thus it had to be for the HC position.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
This kind of stuff is why I think it is pointless to get so wound up over the news of the extension. It is what it is and we'll just have to see how it shakes out.

No offense but how does it usually "shake out". Likely not well. Hope for great yet it is not Gonna happen. We are fucked for 5 years minimum. Thanks, NFL. What's the point anymore?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No offense but how does it usually "shake out". Likely not well. Hope for great yet it is not Gonna happen. We are freaked for 5 years minimum. Thanks, NFL. What's the point anymore?
It shakes out how it shakes out. And no amount of my griping is going to change that. I'm just not into tilting at windmills. But in any case, I'm not willing to buy the screwed for 5 years angle. I guess we'll see.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Read this and maybe you will get an idea of what we are after and why that kind of crap will be deleted. If not, I can't help you.

OK, i've read your link. Frankly, I see absolutely nothing wrong or disturbing with my post. Yes, it was obvious sarcasm without the need for blue font. I've been around here for awhile and have seen much worse which passed for funny. You (ROD) provide the 'gas on fire' smilie, even that was used 'tongue in cheek', just maybe there is a degree of hysteria over its use ? Sorry, I don't get it, maybe it's time for me to move on, or maybe you can contact me privately so I can better understand your position ?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It may be Sunday after the 7th loss in 8 games occurring due to systemic issues...

But the mods have been pretty consistent that they want this place to be about positivity.

Which...when the Rams FO is what it is...the Rams HC is what he is...and the future is uncertain as it is....and the current product is what it is...

Short of manic delusion, being positive is a pretty tall order...but that's the deal. And it's on each of us to be responsible and choose to either contribute according to the "mission" as the sticky Stu put up or find a place more suited to what we want to contribute.

It's their living room. Much respect for all they do.

I'm totally one of the "realists" that X talks about. Which is funny because I started out as the most unrealistic, unadulterated pollyanna of any Rams fan who wasn't in elementary school. And that was during the GSOT. Didn't take long for that to end.

But, anyway, that's what it is. I had a post deleted, too. And I get it. It wasn't super bad, I don't suppose, but it's not in keeping with where the mods want the place to go and as someone who's done the mod thing, I totally get it. If they don't do the work to make the place what they want, it'll devolve and no one wants that.

I dunno what I'm gonna do. I'm not looking for new sites, so I'll prolly just post less since I can't do what Tony Roberts said his momma told him to do, "if you can't say something nice, say it twice. "you ain't crap, you ain't crap.' " Not that I want to talk trash about any Ram. But, I am an analytical person and when things are going great, I love to discuss WHY things worked and when things are going poorly, I love to discuss WHY things aren't working. I don't drink and I don't cheerlead (I actually have a personal antipathy for doing either of those things), so I'm all and only about talking football.

The good news is that we still have a few more games to watch. And that might not seem so nice, but trust me... the off-season will remind us that even a glimmer of hope is the blinding light of a star compared to the darkness of the off-season and the uncertainty that lies there.

And honestly...having done the mod thing other places, the last thing I want to do is make life harder for any of them for even a nano-second. It's not an easy gig, and some days it's like herding autistic cats. I'll try to do my part in being a good forum citizen.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
This means I will be cancelling my NFL Sunday ticket on Direct TV, for the next few years. However, I will still be watching this board. It sucks being a Rams fan these days!

Ramstien,
I'm already there, bro. I canceled my Direct TV Sunday NFL Package after the first game of the year when we laid an egg against the Whiners.

Knew that the 'fix' was in and wasn't going to waste good money watching yet another train wreck.

Btw I have done some cogitatin and according to my figures I am going to save just about $600 on Direct TV this year alone.

Heh with that kind of money I bet I can find something to do on Sundays until Fish is fired.

Cheers!!!

~ArkyRamsFan~