Fisher has extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I agree with ED man, what weird compromising position did Fisher find Kroenke in to warrant this? With how mediocre he's been but still getting chance after chance I have to assume it's really bad. Like getting pegged in the butt by his Mistress while in a pretty dress bad.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Feel slightly better this was done before the preseason and before this debacle of a season, should give them a little more leeway to change course. There is no reason to go into next season with Fisher as the head coach. They will kill the little good will they have in LA.

FRO

Legend
I agree with ED man, what weird compromising position did Fisher find Kroenke in to warrant this? With how mediocre he's been but still getting chance after chance I have to assume it's really bad. Like getting pegged in the butt by his Mistress while in a pretty dress bad.
I don't know. Kroenke only cares about money. I'm not sure any compromising picture would worry Kroenke.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
1. Because again, it's at most, a 2 year deal. The team can opt out after next season.

Which means the coach is still effectively a lame duck, and we still lack organizational stability.

2. They have a good thing going on defense.

a) the good thing on defense is completely negated by the awful offense
b) there is no reason an incoming coach can't keep the scheme, if not the assistants as well. A smart one might do just that.

3. Getting another coach after taking Jared Goff will stunt his development.

Keeping Fisher will stunt Goff's development far more than switching someone who is more offense and QB-friendly, not to mention competent.

4. Going off #3 and #4, changing coaches means new assistants, which means new schemes, which means a total reset. I don't think this team is talent depleted enough to warrant that.

Not necessarily - although on offense, we probably need to clean house of our assistants - Groh is the only one I would even consider keeping at this point. If it means new schemes, so be it. This scheme is horrible and is holding back our offense. We may not have a ton of offensive talent, but they can be much better than this.

5. I like Jeff Fisher's ability to hold the team together during tough times.

Yes, he's really holding them together well. They've quit two weeks in a row, but yeah, he's holding them together well.

7. I'm only in favor of replacing coaches if they can't get their team to compete weekly and/or you can visually see on the player's they don't appreciate the coaches.

See sarcasm in previous item.

8. I live in Houston now, and I'm in favor of them canning Bill O'Brien. His demeanor, attitude (he's an ass), even not paying attention to the games, I can see all that even by watching on tv. And the results on the field reflect that. Jeff Fisher is the polar opposite of that. The problems that the Rams have can be fixed, but it's up to both coaches AND players to do it.

And yet O'Brien has a better record than Fisher over the last 3 years. You are effectively holding the Texans to a higher standard than the Rams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Thanks to JJ Watt's contract and the 20% per year escalator, that's just not feasible. They may try it for one year, but if he doesn't want to stay and he wants to see FA, it's best to just do it or trade him with a year left for tons of picks to a team he would like to go to that he'd be willing to extend with.

Thanks to the recent downward trend, the NEXT TV contract won't continue the "cap will grow forever" trend we've seen. The cap is about close to capped out as TV revenues are about to decline.

Anyway, that's what I see. Donald is a competitor. He competes at everything and he's a guy that hates losing.

He's not going to stay because Fisher is always about making excuses and how we can win...tomorrow. Guys like AD are so obsessed with winning that it affects relationships. It's what makes them great, love them or hate them... guys like Jerry Rice, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, Tom Brady. Aaron Donald is like that.

I would be SHOCKED if he simply took the money and decided to be an Archie Manning...really good on a bad team...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I thought when this came out I would laugh uncontrollably but I didn't even bother reading all the feedback.

Glad it is finally out there, sorry for all the angst for my fellow Rams fans.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
One seat for his fat ass, the other for his fatter ego?

Hmmm.... thoughtful gift. Very ecologically friendly.

It was either that or this

image.jpeg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Which means the coach is still effectively a lame duck, and we still lack organizational stability.

Not really. He knows this team better than any outside coach. He knows the weaknesses.

a) the good thing on defense is completely negated by the awful offense
b) there is no reason an incoming coach can't keep the scheme, if not the assistants as well. A smart one might do just that.

a.) I'm willing to let the offense develop with Jared.

b.) Then would you bitch and moan about the scheme? A new staff will destroy everything. All 3 facets will change and will begin a new rebuild phase. The team is not in shambles, despite the record. Talent is there.

Keeping Fisher will stunt Goff's development far more than switching someone who is more offense and QB-friendly, not to mention competent.

Not really. I find it hard to believe someone trading up to get a QB isn't gonna do what he can to develop him.

Not necessarily - although on offense, we probably need to clean house of our assistants - Groh is the only one I would even consider keeping at this point. If it means new schemes, so be it. This scheme is horrible and is holding back our offense. We may not have a ton of offensive talent, but they can be much better than this.

Is it? This team has shown it can move the ball. Again, I'm willing to let Jared, TG, and young WR develop.

Yes, he's really holding them together well. They've quit two weeks in a row, but yeah, he's holding them together well.

8bb4b4a2724875befff909190bb1bf59.gif

See sarcasm in previous item.

tumblr_lw166udAZv1qh59n0o2_250.gif

And yet O'Brien has a better record than Fisher over the last 3 years. You are effectively holding the Texans to a higher standard than the Rams.

Except I'm not. I'm comparing coaches.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I just had to address this. Not in an angry way, but to address each point. I do appreciate Angry Ram engaging because this is contentious. We all ultimately just want our team to be a good team. Anyway...

1. Because again, it's at most, a 2 year deal. The team can opt out after next season.

Every minute Fisher coaches this team is wasted. He's simply a bad coach. Williams put together the D and he's had 2 solid ST coordinators iirc. By every metric that HCs are measured, he's just...bad. Not even mediocre...bad. And any measure he seems okay aren't HC measures, but FO jobs that he's taken on. If he wants to be Team President, fine, but drafting well on D with Snead still doesn't make him a good HC that can put together solid game plans, manage the game clock, manage challenges, personnel packages, etc.

2. They have a good thing going on defense.

Yeah, with this extension that window is about to close. If Fisher isn't fired at the end of the year, AD won't resign. I'll bet all my ROD bucks on that. And that will END the "good thing going on defense". AD is a hardcore winner who wants to win at everything...even ping pong. I'm like that so I understand.

3. Getting another coach after taking Jared Goff will stunt his development.

Two things. Firstly, Goff hasn't hardly been developed. Look at his tape in college and look at him now. Does he LOOK much different? Nope. He hasn't been developed, not in any real way. What they're doing is inculcating him into a disastrously bad offense which is ridiculously convoluted. THAT takes time. But Boras isn't likely to be retained which means that Goff will have another OC next year. And then Fisher will be finally fired and Goff for the third year in a row will have a new OC with the new coach. Let's just call it the "Bradfording" of Goff. THAT, my friend, is how to stunt his development. The way to get him developed is to fire Fisher and get an Offensive staff in immediately that actually knows how to develop a QB properly. Don't wait. Do it now.

4. Going off #3 and #4, changing coaches means new assistants, which means new schemes, which means a total reset. I don't think this team is talent depleted enough to warrant that.

Actually, the installation of a functioning offense would yield immediate results and while the EP offense takes usually 2 years to really fully install, each week, the players would be more and more on the same page. The various Coryell variants can be installed even faster. I'm partial to the EP variants, but either if they're coherent and functional would be an immediate upgrade and immediately yield significant results. Why? Because players wouldn't be so dang lost. The offense would make sense. And I disagree that this team isn't talented enough to withstand a reset. This team is MORE talented than the 9ers team when Harbaugh came in and they went from a middling, undisciplined disaster under a "player-friendly, defensive minded HC" in Singletary to 3 straight NFC Championship games. The 9ers are a pretty recent example that teams like ours simply NEED a change in leadership and scheme and those can lead to immediate and massive amounts of success.

5. I like Jeff Fisher's ability to hold the team together during tough times.

I dunno what that means. I mean players aren't at each other's throats, but imagine the chemistry if this team were winning...

6. I don't think Stan is an "all-in" owner like Bidwell, so the next best thing is to have a pure football guy like Jeff Fisher.

Stan is not an "all-in owner. However, the last thing Fisher is is a pure football guy. He's as political as they come. That's how he's different from a guy like Mike Singletary, for example. But Fisher being such a part of the NFL power structure and Competition Committee and whatnot is anything, but pure. Mike Tomlin and Bill Belichick are pure football guys. All football all the time. So, I'm sorry, but that characterization is just not true and it's not a matter of opinion.

7. I'm only in favor of replacing coaches if they can't get their team to compete weekly and/or you can visually see on the player's they don't appreciate the coaches.

Wait. Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but this team played like hell for Spags at the end. They balled out. They didn't win, but you could see that they fought like hell. You saying Spags shouldn't have been fired because he didn't lose the team and they competed? That's such a low bar. I mean you're totally entitled to have that opinion, but if that's your take, you're going to be talking Apples v Oranges with most folks because most folks are going to expect HCs to WIN, not just compete. But, I respect if that's where you're coming from. I will disagree with it with gusto, but I respect your opinion.

8. I live in Houston now, and I'm in favor of them canning Bill O'Brien. His demeanor, attitude (he's an ass), even not paying attention to the games, I can see all that even by watching on tv. And the results on the field reflect that. Jeff Fisher is the polar opposite of that. The problems that the Rams have can be fixed, but it's up to both coaches AND players to do it.

I can't speak intelligently about the situation in Houston. I can say that with respect to the Rams, some of the issues with the Rams cannot be "fixed". The Rams offense cannot be "fixed". This offense is broken and needs to be replaced. Period. It will never...infinity...never be successful...not with Brady at QB. Never be successful...because it's structurally and schematically deficient. I said this PRIOR TO THE PRESEASON. And we've seen in our few wins and our many losses that our offense is the worst in the NFL by quite a lot for the reasons I articulated before we took a snap.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
When the only argument is 6 out of 22, it wears thin to me.
LOL.you say that as if it means nothing.
I could list several reasons,but I am not going to,because your mind
is obviously made up.What I will do is tell you what the 6 out of 22 means
to me.
It tells me that in 22 years this man has yet to improve his coaching.
It tells me he is a man who doesn't learn from his mistakes and failures.
It tells me that history can be a clue for the future.
Now that being said if the light bulb has been lit or forced upon him and
he actually brings in an OC that is competent and lets this OC do his job,without meddling
then and only then will this team have a chance.That and he has to improve all the dumb penalties
His teams are undisciplined and always have been and that can only come
from an undisciplined Coach.Same approach,Same results.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

how would AD be classified as a non-top 10 DT?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Those of us hoping for a new OC may as well forget it.

Absolutely correct....what surprises and disappoints me at the same time, is how many on this blog seem to ignore what's been written and said previously right here. Fisher clearly stated only a couple of weeks ago that he had no intention of replacing his OC once again,

He spoke about how he had done so twice before and he wasn't going to do it again (next year). Now we have people posting about Turner or whomever simply because some empty headed guy like Bradshaw goofs around on the half time show or some other knucklehead speculates about complete nonsense......very disappointing all around. :baghead: