Fisher Expects Bradford to be Under Center for Rams in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Yeah Fisher also said he had no plans of changing the coaching staff last year. He also said Davis was starting the rest of the season. You've gotta take this stuff with a grain of salt. What is he supposed to say? "No Sam is not going to be on this team next year."

V3

Hall of Fame
They should only do it if they can renegotiate his contract so that it includes many playing time incentives so they are protected against another injury. They also need a totally viable alternative to Bradford. They should proceed as if Bradford isn't going to be here, even if he is able to play.....they must get another starting quality QB either through trade/draft/free agency. Let them battle it out. If Bradford is healthy, great....if not, they're covered.
But why would Bradford ever agree to restructure? It's smarter for him to either stick to the current deal or just be released. That way he can pick the team he wants to go to and he'll make more money there than he would with a restructured deal. And I'm still going with Buffalo being the perfect landing spot for him. Very good O-line, lots of weapons, and a good D. The Rams still can't say they have protection for him and our OC won't make his life any easier.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But why would Bradford ever agree to restructure? It's smarter for him to either stick to the current deal or just be released. That way he can pick the team he wants to go to and he'll make more money there than he would with a restructured deal. And I'm still going with Buffalo being the perfect landing spot for him. Very good O-line, lots of weapons, and a good D. The Rams still can't say they have protection for him and our OC won't make his life any easier.
I'm sure Bradford and his agent will look at the market, but I don't see anyone offering a significantly higher deal than the Rams would because of his injury history. And as long as he's going to take a pay cut anyway, I don't think he'd be offended to take said pay cut here.

Now if someone did offer him a crazy deal, I'd wish him the best in any week we didn't play him.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Rams would be fools to pay him what he's owed on his original contract (Cap Hit=$16.5 mil). They should offer him a restructured contract that could result in him making significant money, but it would have to be based on playing time incentives. Bradford would consider it strongly because he knows no other team will sign him without that same kind of contract. No one will give him huge guaranteed money based on his health history. If they do, good for him....let that team take that risk.

If Bradford won't go for a restructured deal, then you release him. (Cap Hit= $3.595mil)

I'd like to see Bradford back, but the $16 mil contract is a deal breaker.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I remember even Jeff Gordon and J Thomas thought Bradford was a goner.....he'll be baaaackkk! I believe he will be ok.
THink of all that went wrong in SanDiego, and we still had a chip shot field goal for OT, or a win. Because with all the errors, this could have been the 2012 Jets game, or the 2014 Vikings game....and we almost beat a near play off team with a bad qb, a rookie LT doing almost nothing and a bad defensive game plan....That gives me hope....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams would be fools to pay him what he's owed on his original contract (Cap Hit=$16.5 mil). They should offer him a restructured contract that could result in him making significant money, but it would have to be based on playing time incentives. Bradford would consider it strongly because he knows no other team will sign him without that same kind of contract. No one will give him huge guaranteed money based on his health history. If they do, good for him....let that team take that risk.

If Bradford won't go for a restructured deal, then you release him. (Cap Hit= $3.595mil)

Matt Schaub is getting $7 million to ride the bench. Look at all the QBs that were re-signed lately...
Palmer = $16+ million
Cutler = $18 million
Dalton = $16 million
Kaepernick = $19 million
A. Smith = $17 million

Quid pro quo, Bill. If the Rams want Bradford to take a pay-cut, they'll have to throw him a bone. That bone will be guaranteed money. I think he'll be willing to reduce his base salary down to around $7 to $10 million if the Rams offer him guaranteed money.

I would call the Bucs and see if I could get Glennon for a mid/late draft pick. Redo Bradford's contract and make him the starter. In the draft I pick the best players available because there aren't many glaring needs outside of the QB position.

Love that idea :whistle:.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would call the Bucs and see if I could get Glennon for a mid/late draft pick. Redo Bradford's contract and make him the starter. In the draft I pick the best players available because there aren't many glaring needs outside of the QB position.

I'm actually thinking of watching Glennon's starts on NFL Rewind to see if he's worth it. Because that seems like a plausible scenario that could be beneficial to us.

I advocated trading for Glennon in the preseason after Bradford went down. Don't think he would be a bad Plan B...but I need to watch how he played this year. I really want a Plan B that could be relied upon to start 16 games and give us solid play...or a rookie with talent.

At this point I'd be ringing around teams to see if any of them would offer anything for Sam, just don't trust him at all.

I just hope that if we do go all in on Sam, he gets injured yet again, and we have yet another losing season no one uses the "Fisher didn't have a QB" excuse again, in my opinion he created the mess we're in at QB now if he's allowed to get away with it again, I'll be annoyed.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Glennon as the back-up ??? I guess he could do that, but I'm not really convinced..I have serious questions about a QB sitting on the bench in Tampa !!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point I'd be ringing around teams to see if any of them would offer anything for Sam, just don't trust him at all.

I just hope that if we do go all in on Sam, he gets injured yet again, and we have yet another losing season no one uses the "Fisher didn't have a QB" excuse again, in my opinion he created the mess we're in at QB now if he's allowed to get away with it again, I'll be annoyed.

We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I think everyone has agreed that a Plan B is necessary.

Glennon as the back-up ??? I guess he could do that, but I'm not really convinced..I have serious questions about a QB sitting on the bench in Tampa !!!

He really shouldn't be on the bench.

FRO

Legend
I'm actually thinking of watching Glennon's starts on NFL Rewind to see if he's worth it. Because that seems like a plausible scenario that could be beneficial to us.

I advocated trading for Glennon in the preseason after Bradford went down. Don't think he would be a bad Plan B...but I need to watch how he played this year. I really want a Plan B that could be relied upon to start 16 games and give us solid play...or a rookie with talent.
I liked him coming out of college. I know he had some bad games this year, but their line is a mess. The Bucs will be drafting a QB early and I think the absolute most Glennon will cost is a 5th round pick. The guy has a good arm and had very good production as a rookie. His second year production has been bad. I don't know how he has looked though. Right now he looks like a superior option over a second or third round QB.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Glennon would be fine with me. So would Hoyer if the Browns let him go. Especially if Bradford stays. Far better option than a rookie to me. And especially if the 2016 draft projects stronger than 2015 for QBs.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Got to think that Fish is going with Sam as is if he's going with him next year! It's the way he is with his vets!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We need a Plan B...but Bradford starting in 2015 is probably the best case scenario for us.

If he's even ready....I will believe it when I see it. I want to see how this plays out, but your plan B better be better than the fact that you had no plan this year. If Bradford comes back and can even play in 2015 they better have two quarterbacks waiting.

I would strongly consider trading up if you totally believe in a guy. Now only if you believe in a guy, if not, than go with Bradford and bring in somebody else and draft somebody too, but as everyone else has already don't reach if you don't think the guy is worthy.

I just don't want to be enjoying an August breeze and finding out that Bradford will miss another year...I'm growing tired of second verse, same as the first!

V3

Hall of Fame

I agree with most of what you're saying but I still think teams will be willing to give him a multi year contract because they're that desperate. It happens every year.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I agree. If we bring Bradford back it's going to cost us. QB is a highly valued position and his agent can point to his productivity prior to his first knee injury.

I think you just want to see Bradford with a solid WR1. :D