Fisher Expects Bradford to be Under Center for Rams in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
That's too much, he is too big of an injury risk. If they are going to keep him the deal has to revolve around playing time, number of snaps or games or something.

About that list of QB's.

Schaub was signed by the Raiders to be the starter, they make more mistakes than anyone.

Palmer is worth what they were paying him.

Cutler is a bit overpaid but he has a track record FAR superior to Bradfords.

Kaepernick's deal is not 19 mil, it's structured with loads of incentives and he won't earn them all.

Smith also has an incentive laden deal, but as much as he sucked in SF until the last year or so he has played well.

Bradford doesn't have the resume to command as much as those guys.

A couple of points IMHO on this.

Cutler overpaid - yeah but I disagree he's got a "track record" far superior to Bradford. I think he's a much worse QB actually. The only thing he's got over him is his ability to stay on the field no matter what - hes a tough son of a gun no doubt about that. But you want games thrown away and interceptions galore, Cutler's your guy.

Kaepernick's deal is team friendly yeah but he sucks as a QB.

Smith's incentive laden deal is a good one because he's a very good QB - and I don't think he "sucked" in SF.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think it opened a lot of people's eye's to what we had in Bradford.

With all due respect Dr, exactly "what do we have" in Bradford? I mean, I understand what we "thought" we were getting, but I honestly don't know what we actually "have" in Bradford... Other than a QB who has essentially not been able to stay on the field (with brief exceptions) since his 2nd year in college ball.

Once again, IMO, this is the dilemma....we know what we "need", but what have we gotten? AND when oh when will this team prepare for the future, because I've looked into my crystal ball and Bradford doesn't appear to be the answer....at least based upon the past 3 seasons. Said another way, Bradford is willing, but his durability suggests otherwise. :(

Athos

Legend
100F7x75.jpg

I'll believe that shit when I see it. And I pray, for his sake, he doesn't put all his faith in Sammy. We know where that got us this year.

I would call the Bucs and see if I could get Glennon for a mid/late draft pick. Redo Bradford's contract and make him the starter. In the draft I pick the best players available because there aren't many glaring needs outside of the QB position.

I don't get the fascination with Glennon. What is it? Mediocre college stats, mediocre NFL stats. Someone will have to explain it to me. Is it because he's young and has experience? What skills does he actually bring?

My point is, Glennon's numbers won't really tell the whole story. My reservation with him is he seems a little slow with his delivery. Strong arm and decent decision maker from what I've seen but there's something that just seems a little slow about what he's doing.

Yesh. Not really what I want. A slow decision maker (even if good) or slow long release is not what I'd want.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's too much, he is too big of an injury risk. If they are going to keep him the deal has to revolve around playing time, number of snaps or games or something.

About that list of QB's.

Schaub was signed by the Raiders to be the starter, they make more mistakes than anyone.

Palmer is worth what they were paying him.

Cutler is a bit overpaid but he has a track record FAR superior to Bradfords.

Kaepernick's deal is not 19 mil, it's structured with loads of incentives and he won't earn them all.

Smith also has an incentive laden deal, but as much as he sucked in SF until the last year or so he has played well.

Bradford doesn't have the resume to command as much as those guys.

He doesn't have to. I didn't claim he was commanding $16 million. But he does have the resume to command more than Schaub coming off his atrocious 2013 season. He has the resume to command somewhere in the $8 to $10 million range with his injury history on a prove it deal.

Those players prove just how much QBs get paid. Average starters are getting paid $16+ million a year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A couple of points IMHO on this.

Cutler overpaid - yeah but I disagree he's got a "track record" far superior to Bradford. I think he's a much worse QB actually. The only thing he's got over him is his ability to stay on the field no matter what - hes a tough son of a gun no doubt about that. But you want games thrown away and interceptions galore, Cutler's your guy.

Kaepernick's deal is team friendly yeah but he sucks as a QB.

Smith's incentive laden deal is a good one because he's a very good QB - and I don't think he "sucked" in SF.

I dunno, Cutler is had a much better career than Bradford, in pretty much any measurable way. But I wouldn't pay him what he is earning thats for damn sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glennon would be fine with me. So would Hoyer if the Browns let him go. Especially if Bradford stays. Far better option than a rookie to me. And especially if the 2016 draft projects stronger than 2015 for QBs.

Hoyer is going to command about what Bradford would command on the open market. He's out of our price range.(I don't want to pay Hoyer $10 million a year)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He doesn't have to. I didn't claim he was commanding $16 million. But he does have the resume to command more than Schaub coming off his atrocious 2013 season. He has the resume to command somewhere in the $8 to $10 million range with his injury history on a prove it deal.

Those players prove just how much QBs get paid. Average starters are getting paid $16+ million a year.

I don't agree with that, his injury history and average resume is going to make GM's very, very nervous. He may get a deal that COULD earn him 8-10 mil based on reaching a lot of incentives but I can't see anyone giving him that kind of money with anything other than minor guarantees.

It doesn't pay to give players a lot of money when they have history like his.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With all due respect Dr, exactly "what do we have" in Bradford? I mean, I understand what we "thought" we were getting, but I honestly don't know what we actually "have" in Bradford... Other than a QB who has essentially not been able to stay on the field (with brief exceptions) since his 2nd year in college ball.

Once again, IMO, this is the dilemma....we know what we "need", but what have we gotten? AND when oh when will this team prepare for the future, because I've looked into my crystal ball and Bradford doesn't appear to be the answer....at least based upon the past 3 seasons. Said another way, Bradford is willing, but his durability suggests otherwise. :(
I think they will this year, and that has been my stance ever since he re-injured his knee. My point was, is, and won't change, Bradford is the best QB we've had in a while, but injuries suck, and we can't get burned again by them. I think we all agree on this.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

But Bradford isn't an average starter. He is a huge question mark with below average accuracy and a major injury history. Among other issues. Teams may pay that for a guy they think has upside, but does anyone think Bradford has upside at this point?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't agree with that, his injury history and average resume is going to make GM's very, very nervous. He may get a deal that COULD earn him 8-10 mil based on reaching a lot of incentives but I can't see anyone giving him that kind of money with anything other than minor guarantees.

It doesn't pay to give players a lot of money when they have history like his.

He's a QB. Teams are desperate for QBs. He's proven himself to be a starting caliber QB and is still reasonably young. He will have a market.

The 49ers gave Alex Smith a 3 year $33 million deal after 2012 despite his resume of average play and his injury history. He was coming off a good season and healthy, unlike Sam, but QB contract prices have also significantly inflated since then.

Bradford is going to get a prove it deal. Likely a 1 or 2 year deal. But he'll get $8+ million per year. Teams are going to overpay for him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Hoyer is going to command about what Bradford would command on the open market. He's out of our price range.(I don't want to pay Hoyer $10 million a year)

I don't think either one would go $10 million, you'd have to be a gambling addict to sign Bradford at $1o million, IMO. I see Hoyer in the 6-8 million range, which would work for us. 2 year deal to see if he's worth keeping longer, while looking for the QB we really want in following drafts. Instead of settling for what's there now. But, if you're right on the price, $10 million is a little steep unless you release Bradford and keep the deal short.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But Bradford isn't an average starter. He is a huge question mark with below average accuracy and a major injury history. Among other issues. Teams may pay that for a guy they think has upside, but does anyone think Bradford has upside at this point?

Bradford is an average starter AT WORST.

Yes, Bradford absolutely has upside.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I don't think he has below average accuracy, I don't think anyone thinks that. It's his checkdowns and injuries that people question.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think either one would go $10 million, you'd have to be a gambling addict to sign Bradford at $1o million, IMO. I see Hoyer in the 6-8 million range, which would work for us. 2 year deal to see if he's worth keeping longer, while looking for the QB we really want in following drafts. Instead of settling for what's there now. But, if you're right on the price, $10 million is a little steep unless you release Bradford and keep the deal short.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/20/brian-hoyer-contract/

Hoyer will get paid unless he plays disastrously to end the year. $6 to $8 million is not happening unless he plays so poorly that he gets benched. In either case, I want nothing to do with Hoyer.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think he has below average accuracy, I don't think anyone thinks that. It's his checkdowns and injuries that people question.

He checks down and completes less than 60%........thats below average isn't it?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bradford is an average starter AT WORST.

Yes, Bradford absolutely has upside.

So an average starter completes less than 60% of his passes, gets injured at an alarming rate and misses 40% of the games he is paid for, throws TD's at a lower percentage and I can go on but I wont.

I'll say this. If Bradford ever has an excellent year.........even just one, I will say you were right and I was wrong.

And I will bet real actual currency that never actually happens.

So lets drop this for now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He checks down and completes less than 60%........thats below average isn't it?

If you are on a normal team, with actual NFL WRs. Those castoffs from Sam's days are really proving their worth outside of the Rams. Let's not even talk about the scrubs that started on the OL, or the awful coaching, or the subpar RBs. I've never heard of another person question Sam's ability to hit a WR. Other than at the PD's board. And the occasional Suh fan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So an average starter completes less than 60% of his passes, gets injured at an alarming rate and misses 40% of the games he is paid for, throws TD's at a lower percentage and I can go on but I wont.

I'll say this. If Bradford ever has an excellent year.........even just one, I will say you were right and I was wrong.

And I will bet real actual currency that never actually happens.

So lets drop this for now.

Bradford has 28 TDs to 11 Ints in his last 16 starts. He was 7th in the NFL in Accuracy% in 2013. If your rating of Bradford is based on his 2010 and 2011 season, that's your prerogative. But Bradford has developed into an average starting QB AT WORST.

And I don't need stats to tell me that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bradford has 28 TDs to 11 Ints in his last 16 starts. He was 7th in the NFL in Accuracy% in 2013. If your rating of Bradford is based on his 2010 and 2011 season, that's your prerogative. But Bradford has developed into an average starting QB AT WORST.

And I don't need stats to tell me that.

2013 he completed 60.7%.......that was 7th best in the NFL?

I call bullshit.

At the end of the season he was #18.