Fisher Expects Bradford to be Under Center for Rams in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's the only logical decision. as long as they have a solid plan b.

jap

Legend
. . . and in the 2,015th year of our Lord, the Phoenix known as Sam the Ram riseth once more to plunder the territory of NFL defenses with eyes like jagged lightning and a right of arm burnished gold, the like of which hath never been seen before and never will be seen again. All who have ears, let them hear!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14041/morning-ram-blings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams will have plenty of decision to make this offseason when it comes to whether to keep or part ways with certain players.

The same is true of many teams around the league, something that ESPN Insider Field Yates took an early look at on Tuesday in an Insider piece offering five potential salary cap casualties this offseason. As you can probably guess, Yates' piece leads with Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

Bradford is due to count more than $16 million against the cap in 2015. Releasing Bradford would leave over $3 million in dead money but would save the Rams close to $13 million.

At this point, it's pretty safe to assume the Rams won't bring him back at the current price tag. But that doesn't mean he won't be back. My early read on the situation is that the Rams would like to bring Bradford back at a heavily reduced rate. Whether the two sides can work out an agreement to that end remains to be seen, but it's something that will almost certainly be explored in the offseason.

That doesn't mean the Rams won't draft a quarterback relatively early. The Rams know they have to add a potential franchise player there, but that's a discussion for a different day.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Glennon and Moore are my current FA QB targets for the Rams. Not necessarily in that order.

Glennon's just in a bad situation. Granted, he could have really taken advantage of the opportunities that he had when McCown went down but he is the proverbial red-headed stepchild. The current regime didn't draft him and on top of that, they hand-picked and paid good money for a FA in favor of him. That basically boils down to Glennon never getting a real shot with the team as it stands.

My point is, Glennon's numbers won't really tell the whole story. My reservation with him is he seems a little slow with his delivery. Strong arm and decent decision maker from what I've seen but there's something that just seems a little slow about what he's doing.

Moore intrigues me because of his physical skills and short term success. My gut tells me he's got some upside and has already played well enough at times to consider as a solid backup and potential regular starter.

He's been a bit of a victim of circumstance as well. Was claimed by Carolina to be Jake Delhomme's backup. As a rookie and 2nd year guy, he wasn't going to take that job but when he got his chance, he far outplayed Delhomme. Was named the starter but got a concussion in his first start and later that year a shoulder injury.

Went to the Dolphins to back up Henne and frankly to a pretty poor team. Once again got a chance to start and had a pretty good year. Had a 3 TD game, which isn't that significant until you consider that it was the first time in 3 years that a Dolphins QB had done it. Overall, in his abbreviated year he threw 16TD/9INT, 87 rating and was named Dolphins MVP. The next year, the Dolphins drafted Tannehill so Moore's shot was over.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14041/morning-ram-blings

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams will have plenty of decision to make this offseason when it comes to whether to keep or part ways with certain players.

The same is true of many teams around the league, something that ESPN Insider Field Yates took an early look at on Tuesday in an Insider piece offering five potential salary cap casualties this offseason. As you can probably guess, Yates' piece leads with Rams quarterback Sam Bradford.

Bradford is due to count more than $16 million against the cap in 2015. Releasing Bradford would leave over $3 million in dead money but would save the Rams close to $13 million.

At this point, it's pretty safe to assume the Rams won't bring him back at the current price tag. But that doesn't mean he won't be back. My early read on the situation is that the Rams would like to bring Bradford back at a heavily reduced rate. Whether the two sides can work out an agreement to that end remains to be seen, but it's something that will almost certainly be explored in the offseason.

That doesn't mean the Rams won't draft a quarterback relatively early. The Rams know they have to add a potential franchise player there, but that's a discussion for a different day.

B8....BINGO!

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They should only do it if they can renegotiate his contract so that it includes many playing time incentives so they are protected against another injury.

I don't get all the restructure talk and worry by us fans to restructure. If they have cap room to carry him at his upcoming cost then so be it. Why would any fan really care what he gets paid, it's not coming out your pocket? Is it to free cap room to bring in other players? Is it worth the risk to maybe lose him to another team that is willing to take a chance for another player for us that we are taking a chance on? I say no it is not. Can they really afford not to take a chance on him? If he comes back healthy and can stay that way, the team should be much better with him than any other option they can come up with.

I agree draft another QB with one of the first 3 picks and let it play out. We also have 2 QB's in Gilbert and Keenum, maybe one of them the light comes on? He did play all of his rookie year healthy right? If god forbid he goes down again then they have drafted someone that can play hopefully or the light goes on for one of the other two and it will next guy up.

They also need a totally viable alternative to Bradford. They should proceed as if Bradford isn't going to be here, even if he is able to play.....they must get another starting quality QB either through trade/draft/free agency. Let them battle it out. If Bradford is healthy, great....if not, they're covered.

You are completely on point here!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Matt Schaub is getting $7 million to ride the bench. Look at all the QBs that were re-signed lately...
Palmer = $16+ million
Cutler = $18 million
Dalton = $16 million
Kaepernick = $19 million
A. Smith = $17 million

Quid pro quo, Bill. If the Rams want Bradford to take a pay-cut, they'll have to throw him a bone. That bone will be guaranteed money. I think he'll be willing to reduce his base salary down to around $7 to $10 million if the Rams offer him guaranteed money.

That's too much, he is too big of an injury risk. If they are going to keep him the deal has to revolve around playing time, number of snaps or games or something.

About that list of QB's.

Schaub was signed by the Raiders to be the starter, they make more mistakes than anyone.

Palmer is worth what they were paying him.

Cutler is a bit overpaid but he has a track record FAR superior to Bradfords.

Kaepernick's deal is not 19 mil, it's structured with loads of incentives and he won't earn them all.

Smith also has an incentive laden deal, but as much as he sucked in SF until the last year or so he has played well.

Bradford doesn't have the resume to command as much as those guys.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At this point I'd be ringing around teams to see if any of them would offer anything for Sam, just don't trust him at all.

I just hope that if we do go all in on Sam, he gets injured yet again, and we have yet another losing season no one uses the "Fisher didn't have a QB" excuse again, in my opinion he created the mess we're in at QB now if he's allowed to get away with it again, I'll be annoyed.

WOW is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK wait........this is what Fisher actually said:

We'll decide what were gonna do next year with him. I’m thinking he’s gonna be under center for us.

Thats different than the title of the article. LOL........

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If his recovery goes well they should work a deal to bring him back. The FA QB market is bear, no rookie QB drafted will beat him out. They will probable bring back Hill and/or Davis and draft a QB. This team is very close. The defense is starting to show signs of what we were expecting going into the season and if Sam can stay healthy (I’m staying optimistic) the skies the limit. He has proven when healthy he can make all the throws. He’s had some bad luck and that’s about to change. The RAMS are competing with good teams right now with a backup QB, what’s to say once they get Quick back, the OL tweaked, Bradford back behind center, and the D playing lights out, this team will be a serious contender come next season. You sign Sam to an reduced/incentive laden deal that makes sense for both parties and you go all in. There’s nobody they can get FA/Draft that can beat him out if he is healthy. The worm is about to turn. JMO

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
At this point I'd be ringing around teams to see if any of them would offer anything for Sam, just don't trust him at all.

I just hope that if we do go all in on Sam, he gets injured yet again, and we have yet another losing season no one uses the "Fisher didn't have a QB" excuse again, in my opinion he created the mess we're in at QB now if he's allowed to get away with it again, I'll be annoyed.
WTF is this nonsense?!

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Bradford is the best option to win next season, we all know they need to invest in a QB early in the draft. The problem is this years QB class is pretty bad overall. They dropped the ball in the last draft and didnt take advantage of a good deep QB class.

WTF is this nonsense?!

That may have been worded badly there should have been an "and" in there, to be clear I hope that if we bring back Sam he plays all 16 games + another 3 and misses out on the Pro Bowl because he's busy the week after.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK wait........this is what Fisher actually said:

We'll decide what were gonna do next year with him. I’m thinking he’s gonna be under center for us.

Thats different than the title of the article. LOL........
May as well start a brand new thread titled "Fisher non-commital on Bradford for 2015"
Lol

Am I the only one having deja vu to Fisher saying he'd love to have Steven Jackson back??

moklerman

Warner-phile
May as well start a brand new thread titled "Fisher non-commital on Bradford for 2015"
Lol

Am I the only one having deja vu to Fisher saying he'd love to have Steven Jackson back??
I admit, I like hearing it but that doesn't mean that I actually believe it. Especially when it comes to QB talk, the Rams haven't really followed through with what they've said recently.

The numbers say Bradford's gone but my instincts tell me he'll get one more shot.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I need Rams defense is first and defense is important first. Did you see the Seahawks and 49ers are a great defense. Rams must defense beast and keep coverage on WRS and TE. CB must go coverage on WRS and TE. Then FS or SS must read the Quarterback his head the direction when throw the right or left. FS or SS must run to fast and hit on WRS when they will painful and scared us because best to hits..
WHAT

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
'With the team' doesn't mean 'starting quarterback' though. He could be brought in and cut in camp for all we know. And frankly, between the "Shaun Hill's our guy" and the "Davis for the rest of the season" talk, I think it's pretty much been established that we can't trust a word Fisher says on the QB situation.
Except when it comes to Bradford hr has proven that already

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I admit, I like hearing it but that doesn't mean that I actually believe it. Especially when it comes to QB talk, the Rams haven't really followed through with what they've said recently.

The numbers say Bradford's gone but my instincts tell me he'll get one more shot.
I think it's gonna be up to Bradford.
I dont know how the time frame works with when he'd have to be released so the 13 mill isnt guaranteed. I'm thinking they will draft a QB in round 1. If Bradford is released after the draft, would he re-sign with the Rams on an incentive laden deal knowing that they've drafted his heir apparent? And if other teams" are interested in him, where he'd have a good shot at starting, why not sign there?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I don't want to throw a rookie in a shitty situation. We should revamp our line like Dallas, build a great supporting cast to insert a QB into, when the RIGHT opportunity presents itself .

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to throw a rookie in a crappy situation. We should revamp our like Dallas, build a great supporting cast to insert a QB into, when the RIGHT opportunity presents itself .

You mean like what was done to Bradford