Do they sit or play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
You play to win the game plus it's rival week and the 49ers are 4-0 with JImmy Garoppolo and Carlos Hyde feels they are now Super Bowl Contenders next season...Time to punch Jimmy in the mouth and to serve Mr. Hyde some humble pie.

I agree. I think there are a few underlying issues that no one will admit to but are there nonetheless. Gurley is in the hunt for MVP and I think if he has a big game, he steals if from the Golden Boy, Brady. A win over the Niners would also give McVay a few more votes in the Coach of the Year balloting. One of the guys he's up against is Doug Marrone from the Jags (who just got whipped by the Niners). A solid win over SF would keep the momentum going. If I'm the coach, I play to win.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That's the first thing I thought of, too.

However, I got over it once I realized that the team really didn't have a home field advantage and looked better on the road anyway. Besides, the 49ers are going to treat this game like their Super Bowl probably making it more physical than normal.

I'd prefer somewhat of a happy medium. Play the starters one half and then start pulling guys at halftime.

Granted, Home hasn’t been a huge advantage for us this year - hopefully a conference title game would change that - and our road record is great, but the noise and the potential cold are still factors. If I was to choose, I’d choose Home. But I would rather be healthy on the road than hurt at home.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
What nobody seems to realize is if the NFC Championship game matches the 3rd seat against the 4th seat with both the Rams and Saints currently sitting at 11 & 4 this last game could mean a lot in that scenario. Rams need to play to win, you start worrying about getting guys hurt is when you get guys hurt.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't get why people are concerned if we play the 3rd or 4th seed. We are going to play who we play. I think you rest most of our starters. Goff, Gurley, Whit, Sullivan, Woods and Sammy.
Donald, Ogl, Barron and Tru

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would you rather play either Seattle or Atlanta home as the 3rd seed and hopefully go on to play at Minnesota in the division round or would you rather play Carolina or New Orleans home as the 4th seed and hopefully go on to play at Philadelphia in the division round? Answer that question and that should tell you if you want the RAMS to rest their starters IMO. No matter what I believe the road to the Super Bowl goes through the Vikings. I’m in the camp of playing the starters through the first half and then sub in during the the second half and let the chips fall where they may.

GO RAMS

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
You have to play at least some starters. But the prudent thing would be to rest the older vets. You don't need someone like Whitworth, Saffold or Sullivan being knocked out of the playoffs for a barely meaningful game.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to knock the 49ers down a notch. But we got bigger fish to fry. And if we're playing backups on the line we probably don't want Goff in there either.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We either play it to win or we rest our starters and protect our players.
I cant see anything in between being a good choice
I agree, you can't have it both ways. That being said, the team has a rhythm. I say you go into this game like any other game, play it to dominate. Evaluate your injured players like every other week and call the game accordingly. Can't worry about injuries. You can't start holding back players without the possibility of unintended results. Besides, if the NFC championship is between LA and NO, where would you prefer to play? While the Rams have been good on the road, the Saints have been beasts at home. Play to win and let the chips fall where they may.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hell, why don't we just forfeit and we rest everybody?

Fukk that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think McVay wants to win this last game. Resting starters to me, hurts momentum. Let the guys ride it out. Whitworth could get hurt vs Atlanta/Seattle and then we wouldn’t have him for the playoff run. You can’t worry about injuries. Just play football.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expected the Eagles to show their true colors in round two with a quick exit from the playoffs. But it seems they are already showing cracks, what with the near loss to the hapless Raiders. So it's entirely possible they lose next Sunday to the Cowpokes in their last game and drop to the 2 seed.

If that happens then all of a sudden the 3rd seed is the place to be. And the Rams at that point would be wise to push their starters to win their game vs the whiners.

Right now the Rams are in a bit of a unique spot in that they've clinched the 3 or 4 seed. The Saints don't have that luxury. So in the equation of lining one's team up to be the seed who will travel to Philly, the Rams actually have flexibility.

Now, of course it is possible that the other wildcard team wins in round one. But I think statistically it is very unlikely if the Saints are the other (3 or 4) seed. They are just nasty at home and have the team that will advance at home vs whichever wildcard they draw.

IMO whoever draws the round two matchup with the Eagles will get a matchup of rare ease for that round of the playoffs, and will be set for a showdown with Minnesota in round 3. Minnesota is the team to beat in the NFC playoffs, they're the path through which the Super Bowl goes IMO.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
But do we want homefield advantage because it’s not truly a advantage

I'd rather play in warm LA....Plus, our losses were to Washington (early before our D really got going), Seattle, yeah 5 turnovers, and an epic game to Philly. So it's not like we suck at home, just a couple tough losses that could of easily been wins.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather play in warm LA....Plus, our losses were to Washington (early before our D really got going), Seattle, yeah 5 turnovers, and an epic game to Philly. So it's not like we suck at home, just a couple tough losses that could of easily been wins.
I’m talking about opposing fan attendance which during the playoffs is going to be even more intense. It’s much more difficult playing at home and gettting booed and hearing MVP chants and not being able to hear on third downs then it is going through the same on the road because you plan for it you’re mentally prepared for it on the road but at home those things shouldn’t be happening

TexasRam

Legend
From a business standpoint it makes no sense to forfeit. That’s why there has never been an NFL game forfeited.

But resting a number of starters is common practice, and I hope they do that. Go into the playoffs healthy.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I’m talking about opposing fan attendance which during the playoffs is going to be even more intense. It’s much more difficult playing at home and gettting booed and hearing MVP chants and not being able to hear on third downs then it is going through the same on the road because you plan for it you’re mentally prepared for it on the road but at home those things shouldn’t be happening

I hear ya, but I'd never chose to play a playoff game on the road over home. At least at home we'd still have more fans. I truly think a playoff game would be much different/better than the regular season has been. Which also means that much harder for us ON the road.
Just my opinion though. :)

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear ya, but I'd never chose to play a playoff game on the road over home. At least at home we'd still have more fans. I truly think a playoff game would be much different/better than the regular season has been. Which also means that much harder for us ON the road.
Just my opinion though. :)
I feel ya so would I. It just would be too embarrassing if it played out like that eagles game did

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Thanks, missed that somehow. That pretty much ensures a resting of starters if I'm making the call. I'd have them all start the game and get a little work in, then quickly change them out and leave them out regardless of how the game goes.

My goal would be to have Mannion play 3/4 of the game. Goff/Gurley/Big Whit come out first. Then some of the other guys like the CBs, Donald, etc.

Ram65

Legend
The Eagles are a weak 1 seed with Foles - really good chance they lose to Carolina or the Saints. If they do - that means the winner of the 2,3 game would host the NFC title game. That is worth playing for.

Home game v ATL
@ Min
Host the NFC Title game against NO/Car
SuperBowl

My first thought.

That's the first thing I thought of, too.

However, I got over it once I realized that the team really didn't have a home field advantage and looked better on the road anyway. Besides, the 49ers are going to treat this game like their Super Bowl probably making it more physical than normal.

I'd prefer somewhat of a happy medium. Play the starters one half and then start pulling guys at halftime.

My second thought.

You play to win the game plus it's rival week and the 49ers are 4-0 with JImmy Garoppolo and Carlos Hyde feels they are now Super Bowl Contenders next season...Time to punch Jimmy in the mouth and to serve Mr. Hyde some humble pie.

Back to my first thought.

Granted, Home hasn’t been a huge advantage for us this year - hopefully a conference title game would change that - and our road record is great, but the noise and the potential cold are still factors. If I was to choose, I’d choose Home. But I would rather be healthy on the road than hurt at home.

Both thoughts!!

I will take how McVay decides. One thing for sure is the Saints will have to go for the win. The Bucs could give them a little trouble playing at home.

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...falcons-panthers-seahawks-vikings-rams-eagles
Seeding and playoff scenarios: These are all from ESPN’s Playoff Machine. A Saints loss could send them to the 5th seed, if the Panthers win.

• SF win + NO win = Saints move to No. 3 seed
  • CAR win + NO loss or tie + MIN loss + LAR loss or tie = Panthers first-round bye, NFCS
  • ATL win OR SEA loss OR ATL tie + SEA tie = Falcons in playoffs, 6th seed
  • SEA win + ATL loss or tie OR SEA tie + ATL loss = Seahawks in playoffs, 6th seed

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So after further review I am recommending that the Rams rest the starters next week and get them healthy and ready for what is going to be a rugged and tough and physically challenging play off season.
Loved the whole analysis, except for this....
If we wanted rest, finish in the top 2, and get a bye week....since we didn't, lets play to win, blow the 9ers out in the 1st half, then start pulling guys....losing the 3rd seed is silly right now....if Philly and Minnesota lose in the 2nd round, we could host a couple playoff games....and it can happen