Do they sit or play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Faulk ran a 4.4 coming out of College, I believe....I thought he was skinny when he was on teh Colts in 1995.;
I thought he fattened up a bit by the time he was traded the Rams (bigger buttox, not botox)....in 1999 training camp and early in the seaseon he looked heavier....anyway, he was 5-10 heavier than his rookie year I believe.
By 2001 most of that 4.4 became 4.5 I think.

Faulk was a man's man on 3rd down and 1, which Gurley needs help with a bit...though I think the play calling and the line ain't helping any ( all the WRs are in the slot, and all 11 guys are up at the line...doesn't seem right)

Well if Faulk was running a 4.5 in 99-01, then all I have to say is then most DBs were running at 4.3, he was frequently ran down from behind, a great example was tthe SB in Atlanta, opening drive 2nd half, no way Gurley gets ran down from behind within 50yds with a 5 yard headsrart

Top end speed wasn’t his greatest asset, I don’t see how any reasonable Rams fan could really dispute this

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well if Faulk was running a 4.5 in 99-01, then all I have to say is then most DBs were running at 4.3, he was frequently ran down from behind
Some dudes are those long strider types...think more like a 200 meter runner...which I think Gurley was and probably still IS....that is, they reach top end speed a lil slower but can hold it longer....like Carl Lewis...or the guy from Jamaica, runner Usain Bolt...they probably all run in the 4.2-4.3's....but those long striders can hold that form & speed longer.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Some dudes are those long strider types...think more like a 200 meter runner...which I think Gurley was and probably still IS....that is, they reach top end speed a lil slower but can hold it longer....like Carl Lewis...or the guy from Jamaica, runner Usain Bolt...they probably all run in the 4.2-4.3's....but those long striders can hold that form & speed longer.

Lol, it’s weird agreeing with you as I have the last couple of days on different topics

Merry Christmas Champ!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Incredible thread, Rammies, and to be truthful I've gone back on forth on what to do next week. One minute I'm all for killing the Whiners just because, well, they're the Whiners. Then I start to cogitate a bit about what is to be gained. I am contemplating risk to reward ratios. Heck, I even called my insurance agent and asked for an actuarial analysis given the parameters of a potential increased seeding in the NFL playoffs versus the potential harm to crucial players.
At any rate when I boiled it all down I decided to go off what I saw in yesterday's game in Tennessee.
And even though we WON what I saw concerns me for the following reasons:

1.) Aaron Donald and Mike Brockers were blocked.....I mean Blocked all day long. Yeah I know they are held a lot but they're held each and every game. Neither one was much of a factor especially in the passing game. It was kinda sad but I was literally yelling at my TV when Mariotta had all day to pass.
Guys, we'll get lit up if this continues in the playoffs. Just sayin'....

2.) Robert Quinn reverted back to his old one move ways and he was stoned by Lewan most of the game also. Yeah, he was held a lot also but he has to beat that or we are sunk.

3.) I'm somewhat concerned about Andrew Whitworth. He has given up a sack and a number of pressures for the last 4 or 5 games. Is he wearing down? Showing his age? I hope not but if he needs a rest now is the time.

I could comment on Mark Barron and his myriad of injuries or how thin we are in the secondary and how we could not survive an injury to TruJo but I believe ya'll get my point.

So after further review I am recommending that the Rams rest the starters next week and get them healthy and ready for what is going to be a rugged and tough and physically challenging play off season.

~ArkyRamsFan~

P.S. I was just kidding about the insurance actuarial analysis, but still.......

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I am guessing Lucas, the 4th OT, will be active and get some time and the DL will get more snaps for the reserves...

Best case scenario they can jump out to a lead and they can then run it with Brown to shorten the game for all involved.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I think we'll start our players and come out ready to win this game.

I'd really like to hold onto that 3 seed, however we have been very good on the road all season.

When wee start pulling guys I would like to see whit, sully, maybe saff, gurley, Goff when whit is pulled. Watkins, woods, Kupp.

Defensively getting less reps through the game donald, brokers, Quinn, tree, and joyner- should have Davis back

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The Rams have secured hosting in the wild card round and cannot earn a bye with a win against the Niners. While many debate the difference between a 3 or 4 seed, I personally don’t see how it really matters. I see all NFC playoff teams as dangerous and any could win out (other than the Shehawks if they slip in).

What matters MOST is the health and depth of the Rams. We have guys battling the wear and tear of a long season and some of them really need the rest. With that said, here are the men I would hold out for this game. It’s not “meaningless”, as they should play to win...but develop depth in the process.

Whitworth by Williams
Sullivan by Blythe
Saffold by Neary
Gurley by Brown
Goff by Mannion
Woods by Reynolds
Barron by Littleton
Ogletree by Hager
Barwin by Ekubam
Donald by Smart

To me, vets like Whit, Sully, and Barwin don’t need reps to remain sharp, they desperately need rest. Players like Saffold, Barron, Ogletree, and perhaps Woods would be playing through injury and need to heal. Goff, Donald, and Gurley are just too damned valuable to lose to a freak injury.

While I realize this means we probably won’t win since this is basically the 9’ers “Super Bowl”, I’d personally smile at the thought of us treating them as irrelevant by the lineup yet coach up our depth and thrash the hell out of them anyway. Our eyes should be set on a real SB!!!!

Last edited:

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We either play it to win or we rest our starters and protect our players.
I cant see anything in between being a good choice

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
We either play it to win or we rest our starters and protect our players.
I cant see anything in between being a good choice

They can’t rest EVERYBODY and still field a team. This proposal has the most starters I think we can afford to rest and still be competitive. McVay can still play to win by challenging the depth to do their jobs as they may be needed in the postseason as well.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They can’t rest EVERYBODY and still field a team. This proposal has the most starters I think we can afford to rest and still be competitive. McVay can still play to win by challenging the depth to do their jobs as they may be needed in the postseason as well.

I get how it works... but when you put the O-line on ice, you dont put Mannion out there and call plays like you normally would.
You cant put him out there on a 5 step drop...

When you rest your starters, you still want your players to execute, of course you want guys to do well. But you cant really coach to win because you are physically out matched on both lines. So the play calls have to be conservative as well.

By not playing Goff, Gurley, Donald, Whit, etc... you are saying we are prioritizing health and rest over winning. You call the game with plays designed to protect your athletes.
If you put guys out there who are outmatched and ask them to win their match ups, you could damage their psyche as well as their body.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The Eagles are a weak 1 seed with Foles - really good chance they lose to Carolina or the Saints. If they do - that means the winner of the 2,3 game would host the NFC title game. That is worth playing for.

Home game v ATL
@ Min
Host the NFC Title game against NO/Car
SuperBowl

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I'm okay on playing through next week. I really don't want to take a chance of us falling out of our rhythm, to hopefully prevent any injuries.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'm okay on playing through next week. I really don't want to take a chance of us falling out of our rhythm, to hopefully prevent any injuries.

Part of my point is that we already have injuries (Saffold, Whit, Barron, Ogletree, Barwin) that need healing though perhaps they COULD play through it. But why? And if you rest those guys, why not develop depth in the process ? I suppose I don’t see our backups as being overmatched physically though I get the point of rhythm. It’s just that after 16 games, one week off for many is a good thing...part of why you play for a bye.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If only we knew what Fisher would do in this situation.
Doing the opposite gets my vote

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The Eagles are a weak 1 seed with Foles - really good chance they lose to Carolina or the Saints. If they do - that means the winner of the 2,3 game would host the NFC title game. That is worth playing for.

Home game v ATL
@ Min
SuperBowl

That’s a great point, and while I agree...I’d still prefer a healthy squad to a game on the road...but that’s just me. We’ve traveled well.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Home game v ATL
@ Min
SuperBowl

That's the first thing I thought of, too.

However, I got over it once I realized that the team really didn't have a home field advantage and looked better on the road anyway. Besides, the 49ers are going to treat this game like their Super Bowl probably making it more physical than normal.

I'd prefer somewhat of a happy medium. Play the starters one half and then start pulling guys at halftime.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That's the first thing I thought of, too.

However, I got over it once I realized that the team really didn't have a home field advantage and looked better on the road anyway. Besides, the 49ers are going to treat this game like their Super Bowl probably making it more physical than normal.

I'd prefer somewhat of a happy medium. Play the starters one half and them start pulling guys at halftime.

I was thinking kind of the same way. Play the first half like normal and sub out in the second half. The staff knows who has lingering injuries that could use some rest, etc.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You play to win the game plus it's rival week and the 49ers are 4-0 with JImmy Garoppolo and Carlos Hyde feels they are now Super Bowl Contenders next season...Time to punch Jimmy in the mouth and to serve Mr. Hyde some humble pie.