Combine Week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I know this is a joke, but if I were entering my unrestricted contract year after a season of being solid at LT and the team wants me to move to guard, I wouldn't be happy about it. LT is more of a money position.
But isn't the franchise tag money the same for LT as it is for G? So he signs the RFA (1st rd $6.8 mil; 2nd rd $4.9 mil; RFR $3.0 mil), plays a year at G and shows convincing versatility, then the Rams can either franchise him at OL $ or sign him long term...or somebody else can sign a LT/G in free agency after 2024.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I know this is a joke, but if I were entering my unrestricted contract year after a season of being solid at LT and the team wants me to move to guard, I wouldn't be happy about it. LT is more of a money position.
Agree. But let's be honest here ... You can be a little bit of a Diva.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But isn't the franchise tag money the same for LT as it is for G? So he signs the RFA, plays a year at G and shows convincing versatility, then the Rams can either franchise him at OL $ or sign him long term...or somebody else can sign a LT/G in free agency after 2024.
It is, if somebody tags a center they get the same as a LT which this year is $21 million

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It is, if somebody tags a center they get the same as a LT which this year is $21 million
That's what I mean.

Say Alaric is asked to play G and does well. The Rams know he can play LT or G. His contract would be up and he'd be a UFA after 2024. The Rams could offer him money or he could seek offers elsewhere. If they didn't want to lose him and franchised him, they would basically pay him LT money for 1 year. And if they drafted a LT who started and played well, they could afford it. He gets money either way. I'd say, "bet on yourself Alaric".

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what I mean.

Say Alaric is asked to play G and does well. The Rams know he can play LT or G. His contract would be up and he'd be a UFA after 2024. The Rams could offer him money or he could seek offers elsewhere. If they didn't want to lose him and franchised him, they would basically pay him LT money for 1 year. And if they drafted a LT who started and played well, they could afford it. He gets money either way. I'd say, "bet on yourself Alaric".
Oh yeah absolutely bet on yourself. That's why I wasn't shocked when they said Dotson and Shelton will test free agency.

Memphis Ram

Legend
But isn't the franchise tag money the same for LT as it is for G? So he signs the RFA (1st rd $6.8 mil; 2nd rd $4.9 mil; RFR $3.0 mil), plays a year at G and shows convincing versatility, then the Rams can either franchise him at OL $ or sign him long term...or somebody else can sign a LT/G in free agency after 2024.
The franchise tag money may be the same which is great from the Rams perspective. But not necessarily from Jackson's perspective as players typically don't want to be franchised. Getting hurt during that season could cost them millions.

And the long term negotiated contact money comparison isn't great from the player's perspective either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you were entering your unrestricted contract year, you would certainly prefer to start 15-17 games at any position vs being relegated to a backup role in the position of your choice
Not to mention, the "slander" comment (thank you @Memento for properly addressing) was brought to light LAST spring when coming off his first 6 career starts he was stating he'd play anywhere in his penultimate season prior to unrestricted FA

Memphis Ram

Legend
If you were entering your unrestricted contract year, you would certainly prefer to start 15-17 games at any position vs being relegated to a backup role in the position of your choice
Not to mention, the "slander" comment (thank you @Memento for properly addressing) was brought to light LAST spring when coming off his first 6 career starts he was stating he'd play anywhere in his penultimate season prior to unrestricted FA
Of course you'd rather play than sit. But if you're playing you'd rather play the money position until you are beaten out.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
19? For one of the top two OLTs? You put too much stock into the combine. Fashanu has a very high ceiling. He is the best pass blocker in the draft.
Combine? Where did I mention the Combine? Looking at a consensus of Mocks, of the (5) ; Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, .... Fautanu is the one that is not consistently in the top 18

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Combine? Where did I mention the Combine? Looking at a consensus of Mocks, of the (5) ; Alt, Fashanu, Fuaga, Latham, Fautanu, .... Fautanu is the one that is not consistently in the top 18
I keep seeing him listed as the second tackle to get picked.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I keep seeing him listed as the second tackle to get picked.
OK ...I don't know what source that is .... here are 9 that I pulled from a google search for Top 50 lists, and not my usual suspects...

Daniel Jeremiah #17 overall
Ryan Wilson/ CBS #25
Walter Football #21
Draftek #25
Jordan Reid/ESPN #22
Trevor Sikema/PFF #35
Bucky Brooks #21
Dane Bruglar/Athletic #19
Ian Cummings/PFN #35

It seems that Fautanu is not in consensus to be Top 18

WestCoastRam

Legend
OK ...I don't know what source that is .... here are 9 that I pulled from a google search for Top 50 lists, and not my usual suspects...

Ryan Wilson/ CBS #25
Walter Football #21
Draftek #25
Jordan Reid/ESPN #22
Trevor Sikema/PFF #35
Bucky Brooks #21
Ian Cummings/PFN #35

I think people getting Fautanu and Fashanu mixed up. No idea why.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Ryan Wilson/ CBS #25
Walter Football #21
Draftek #25
Jordan Reid/ESPN #22
Trevor Sikema/PFF #35
Bucky Brooks #21
Ian Cummings/PFN #35

Go back to page 13. You can see what I replied to. You said Fashanu

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Starting to think DeJean could be a target, especially after a short trade down.

Move him to safety/ star position. Could be a big playmaker. Reminds me of Nolan Cromwell, athletic safety that makes plays. Its been awhile since we had a special safety, and his role would be more than just a safety as he could cover like a CB as well.