Chris Simms latest on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
Is there something I am missing?

All of this talk about Goff not meeting expectations....
What in the actual freak? Did I somehow end up in an alternate universe where Jared Goff isn't a rookie who is mostly throwing to other rookies while learning how to play pro-style offense... and only 3 games into preseason?

Tough crowd, huh?

Some people just write the narrative the way they want it, regardless of whether or not there is anything to support it. Once they have determined their thoughts on something, they will conjure up some evidence or statistics entirely out of hot air and then convince themselves that it's gospel.
I love this quote.It describes Simms to a tee.A idiotic analyst with little football knowledge.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
These posts are hilarious. Everyone rips apart someone's credibility bc their opinion is different than their own and even attack how "crappy" of a player they were, meanwhile the people who are discrediting these analyst's by their failures are somehow more knowledgeable yet have not even stepped on an NFL field as anything more than a fan.

I don't like seeing a rookie Ram, or a Ram In general, have a bad article written on them. But the fact of the matter is he may be just as right as all those who believe Goff will be great.
You mean after 3 preseason games?Ok.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
My gripe was with people taking the attack personal. The original post never contained the actual article, so I didn't read it, I only read the "summary" by a certain member. That didn't include anything about what was just brought up by mojo, the summary was vague. Which is why I didn't see a need to bring someone's personal achievements into the mix. I'm guessing the summary was sweeter than the whole article? Anyway....my fault, carry on fellas.
The personal attacks were warranted considering the idiot didn't do his homework and is known for making boneheaded statements.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Massive compensation basically is a first round pick. The rest is not that valuable.Casserole said so himself and Goff was a successful college QB, and considered the most likely to succeed in the NFL.

You say Rams fans with blinders on I say Rams fans with faith and hope. You act like we shouldn't be writing the book on Goff, well neither should Simms. And news flash Memphis. Keenum has been a backup QB for a few years now. Kind of blows Simms theory out of the water, especially when Denver was trying to sign him to start.

Then the bit about the ball coming out of Goffs hand also shoots down Simms critique. You can love Simms if you want. I think he sucks.

Massive compensation is massive compensation whether or not you believe those 2 second rounders in a strong 2nd round draft fits the criteria or not. Such compensation, along with his draft position will call for higher scrutiny whether one likes it or not.

And whether one wants to call it Rams blinders or faith and hope, I agree that no one should be writing the book on Goff just yet. Again, my main point is that a positive review from Simms wouldn't have drawn so much angst and personal attacks on him regarding his take on the kid so far.

Finally, here's a newsflash for you. Unlike yourself, I have no personal opinion on Simms whatsoever. But I can't help but to point out that you've misquoted or misunderstood Simms a couple times now. His opinion was that Keenum (not Goff) wouldn't be a backup on most teams and is more of a 3rd string type. The later of which is how he has spent the majority of his NFL career so far, hasn't he?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Massive compensation is massive compensation whether or not you believe those 2 second rounders in a strong 2nd round draft fits the criteria or not. Such compensation, along with his draft position will call for higher scrutiny whether one likes it or not.

And whether one wants to call it Rams blinders or faith and hope, I agree that no one should be writing the book on Goff just yet. Again, my main point is that a positive review from Simms wouldn't have drawn so much angst and personal attacks on him regarding his take on the kid so far.

Finally, here's a newsflash for you. Unlike yourself, I have no personal opinion on Simms whatsoever. But I can't help but to point out that you've misquoted or misunderstood Simms a couple times now. His opinion was that Keenum (not Goff) wouldn't be a backup on most teams and is more of a 3rd string type. The later of which is how he has spent the majority of his NFL career so far, hasn't he?

Last year Keenum was a starter. He would have been vying to start for Denver. I said it three times. I think he would have beat out Siemien due to having more experience.

I thought Simms pre draft critique of Goff was shot too. Simms is not very good at this job either IMO. That is probably why he works for Bleacher report. If you can't tell, I don't have much respect for his opinions, and I am one of the few here that actually reads Bleacher Report.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we're debating whether or not Simms is correct in his assessment that Keenum isn't worthy of being a back up.
A back up
Good thing he's not like our starter or anything...
Oh, wait a minute

Memphis Ram

Legend
Last year Keenum was a starter. He would have been vying to start for Denver. I said it three times. I think he would have beat out Siemien due to having more experience.

I like Keenum and believe that he's a good option to start this season, however, Keenum started last year because Foles, the guy they gave big money to be the starter, flopped. And even after that performance last year, they traded the farm to get Goff.

And even if one agreed on your Denver take, that doesn't mean Simms is wrong on his opinion as to how he would be viewed on MOST teams as they don't have the experience with or may agree with the take of his former Texans & current Broncos, coach Gary Kubiak (whose offense Keenum knows).

Last edited:

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again, my main point is that a positive review from Simms wouldn't have drawn so much angst and personal attacks on him regarding his take on the kid so far.

What I find funny about this statement is, DUH! This is a RAMS FAN site, of course it would have been well received. Doesn't matter if you liked the pick or what they gave up for him, as a RAM fan I have to have hope and have faith it will work out.
I will be the first to say that most on here have a much greater knowledge of the game than I do, but I have seen some throws he has made and I say WOW that ball had a different zip or snap or something to it. It just looked different. I think on those throws it is when he is sure of what he sees and just reacts to it (not over thinking it). Sure are there things that concern me, but in my view as a RAMS fan I have two choices, either hope and have faith he is the one or bitch and whine. I choose hope and faith and each of us has their own choice to make. But to make a statement that if the piece would have been more positive it would have been better received (I know that is not exactly what you said) is a complete DUH moment.
I will disappear into the shadows once again. :grouphug:

Memphis Ram

Legend
What I find funny about this statement is, DUH! This is a RAMS FAN site, of course it would have been well received. Doesn't matter if you liked the pick or what they gave up for him, as a RAM fan I have to have hope and have faith it will work out.
I will be the first to say that most on here have a much greater knowledge of the game than I do, but I have seen some throws he has made and I say WOW that ball had a different zip or snap or something to it. It just looked different. I think on those throws it is when he is sure of what he sees and just reacts to it (not over thinking it). Sure are there things that concern me, but in my view as a RAMS fan I have two choices, either hope and have faith he is the one or bitch and whine. I choose hope and faith and each of us has their own choice to make. But to make a statement that if the piece would have been more positive it would have been better received (I know that is not exactly what you said) is a complete DUH moment.
I will disappear into the shadows once again. :grouphug:

Perhaps some can consider my statement as a complete DUH moment. For others it may remind them that personal attacks on someone of a different opinion / view makes little sense. If the shoe fits, where it. If it doesn't, keep shopping.

BTW, I would suspect that every RAMS fan would have faith that he works out. There is no other choice, IMO, thus your second choice represents a DUH moment to me.

I'm going to disappear into the shadows shortly myself. :grouphug:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
You believe that Keenum could backup for most teams. Simms does not. There is no way to prove it either way so why bash the guy there?
:deadhorse:Dude, you may or may not have sunk into the shadows, but here is the point: the World Champions considered Keenum as a STARTER. Regardless of the head coach connection. Go down the list of backups, and tell us with a straight face Keenum could not beat out backups: Foles, Hill, Kaepernick, ...just off the top of my head. At some point it is ok to make a judgement on Simms "opinion". It is foolish to trash Keenum as not worthy of most teams backup. Yet YOU are ok with his trashing the hard working Keenum, but not US defending Keenum from the reckless, groundless opinion?

my main point is that a positive review from Simms wouldn't have drawn so much angst and personal attacks on him regarding his take on the kid so far.
:deadhorse:Why would we attack him for noting the positive things Goff has done? This is a Rams site. You are throwing out straw men here.

Finally, here's a newsflash for you. Unlike yourself, I have no personal opinion on Simms whatsoever. But I can't help but to point out that you've misquoted or misunderstood Simms a couple times now. His opinion was that Keenum (not Goff) wouldn't be a backup on most teams and is more of a 3rd string type.
why the "newsflash" high-horse language? Regardless of his misunderstanding, it really is ok to make judgements and have opinions about people. Really. Simms puts himself out there with strong, and unfounded opinions. He earned our disdain. Having no opinion on Simms is not in an of itself a virtue. As a matter of fact it makes me question your discernment.

And even after that performance last year, they traded the farm to get Goff.
Not the farm. Are you a Rams fan? The Rams are sick of the 7-9 crap. Remember. Keenum is a solid backup. Not franchise quarterback.

GBRam15

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
GBRam15

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Roman Snow

World Champions or no, if you don't believe that Gary Kubiak familiarity with Keenum and vice versa has/had a great deal to do with the Broncos interest then you must not follow NFL personnel transactions very closely.

Rams site or no, discussing an opinion disagreed upon minus personal attacks on the person providing the opinion is simply civilized behavior. No strawman presented there at all.

Also, you can ask the poster I responded to regarding the the "newsflash" high-horse language." I just answered his with one of my own. Next time, it might help if you didn't jump into a long exchange at the end.

Yes, the farm, IMO. They traded away a buttload of selections to acquire the kid.

Finally, I am a Rams fan, though not as hardcore as I have been in the past since the move. And while it helps a lot, you don't need a franchise QB (depending upon one's definition) to finish better than 7-9. Hopefully, the Rams will be one of the few to be able to prove that again this year. Hell, I read somewhere that Snead was even quoted that they would have won more games last year with Keenum.

Also, while it goes without saying, Goff's draft selection doesn't guarantee that he'll turn out to be a franchise QB. See the last spread college QB the team drafted #1 overall in Sam Bradford.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Rams site or no, discussing an opinion disagreed upon minus personal attacks on the person providing the opinion is simply civilized behavior. No straw man presented there at all.
A "Straw man" is a distraction, or a side issue to throw someone off the main issue, right? Your Straw Man was the notion that we only attacked Simms because he said something negative, rather than positive about our new quarterback. Huh? Have you ever attacked someone for giving you compliments? The ISSUE here, was the fact that Simms was attacking Goff at all, rather than reserving judgement until a fair sample size has been presented. Also, he did not note many of the positive signs Goff has shown. It was a hit-job.

Also, you can ask the poster I responded to regarding the the "newsflash" high-horse language." I just answered his with one of my own. Next time, it might help if you didn't jump into a long exchange at the end.
Fair enough.

Yes, the farm, IMO. They traded away a buttload of selections to acquire the kid.
We disagree on this.

Also, while it goes without saying, Goff's draft selection doesn't guarantee that he'll turn out to be a franchise QB.
It's a good thing nobody claims this then, huh?

"It's really a shame that some people are FAR more upset at HOW Kaepernick is protesting as opposed to WHAT he is protesting.:shocked: "- (Yes. I will even comment on your signature)- How about if most thoughtful people are actually upset that his "protest" is demonstrably fake, a false pretense. Meanwhile, he doesn't use his "voice" to do the tough work. The real work, of telling people that share his skin color to stop killing EACH OTHER.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real work, of telling people that share his skin color to stop killing EACH OTHER.

I shouldn't reply, but I am going to anyways. There is vast difference between private citizens breaking the law and killing each other and government agents tasked with enforcing the law breaking it and killing private citizens.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I shouldn't reply, but I am going to anyways. There is vast difference between private citizens breaking the law and killing each other and government agents tasked with enforcing the law breaking it and killing private citizens.
I agree Jrry. And I am not cavalier about either problem. What I am saying is: One problem is pervasive, and the other is not. His silence on the big problem is deafening.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Roman Snow

As to the majority of your comments on Keenum / Goff we will simply have to agree to disagree (Besides, I find your last comment far more interesting).

While I hope not, an agreement to disagree will probably also be the case concerning Kaepernick's stance, too. Why? Because even if you are not, I'm willing to acknowledge that only the Christ Jesus mentioned in your signature truly knows the true intention in his heart. Not you, I, or anyone else for that matter (besides himself).

BTW, I will ask that you take a closer look at the skin color of the killings within each of the races. It was already discussed in another thread, but the killing percentages of killing within races is extremely high no matter the race. Why? Most murders are just are intercommunity (ie. committed against neighbors and families). And, for the most part, neighborhoods are still pretty segregated. Despite these facts, black on black crime gets most of the attention as an excuse to ignore other injustices.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree Jrry. And I am not cavalier about either problem. What I am saying is: One problem is pervasive, and the other is not. His silence on the big problem is deafening.
Amen.
Those numbers are about 10,000 per year comparative to a couple of hundred.
One does not excuse the other or diminish it. But, this is clearly manipulation for the sake of an agenda. Dumb people, sadly, are easily manipulated. How the bigger issues are not clear to all....that is beyond me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

One problem is much harder to address than the other. The "big problem" is impossible to address. You're using the "starving children in Africa" argument. It's a deflection from the real issue.

"Why should we address that problem when there are children starving in Africa right now?"

It's not a legitimate argument. You can fix one issue without addressing another totally different issue. It happens every day. Some issues are easier to address than others.