Chris Simms latest on Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
His college career where he played in an offense that resembled nothing of a pro style offense? We all know players don't always live up to their college careers, and we all know as good as Goff is, he was the best in a very weak draft for qbs. So with that knowledge his success is just as unknown as his failure.

Anything positive to say?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Size. Arm strength. Accuracy. Footwork. Decision making.

Nothing to do with the offense he was in.

Those were pretty much my thoughts after watching every single college game he's played in....

Bingo-Sign-89298.gif

fancents86

Starter
Nope.

It has nothing to do with that.

Size. Arm strength. Accuracy. Footwork. Decision making.

Nothing to do with the offense he was in.

I'll agree, and is exactly why I wanted us to draft Goff in the first place. But I haven't heard anything out of camp or preseason that indicates those strengths have pushed him ahead of back up caliber players. In fact it's been said that Keenums decision making ability is better than Goff's bc of experience, which is understandable. He''s going to take time to get him up to speed but hes also going to take a lot of heat for being picked so high and not starting or beating out back up players.

Like I said before, not everyone comes out of college and plays like they did in college. I'm not against Goff, I thing he will succeed. I just think a few people need to look in the mirror before they go ripping people apart bc of their opinions or personal failures. If you can call playing in the NFL a failure...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'll agree, and is exactly why I wanted us to draft Goff in the first place. But I haven't heard anything out of camp or preseason that indicates those strengths have pushed him ahead of back up caliber players. In fact it's been said that Keenums decision making ability is better than Goff's bc of experience, which is understandable. He''s going to take time to get him up to speed but hes also going to take a lot of heat for being picked so high and not starting or beating out back up players.

Like I said before, not everyone comes out of college and plays like they did in college. I'm not against Goff, I thing he will succeed. I just think a few people need to look in the mirror before they go ripping people apart bc of their opinions or personal failures. If you can call playing in the NFL a failure...
I'm not sure why you would assume that my lack of respect for shitty analysis means I don't respect the fact that he played football professionally.
It's not mutually exclusive.
His football career doesn't give him a pass for not knowing what he is talking about.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
These posts are hilarious
:huh: Like, funny, how?

But the fact of the matter is he may be just as right as all those who believe Goff will be great.
You say "fact of the matter" then defend an OPINION. No fact. No matter. Simms opinion was way off base. Many of us are giving him the ass kicking he requested.

I just think a few people need to look in the mirror before they go ripping people apart bc of their opinions or personal failures.
I like what I see in the mirror. Who knows how Goff will turn out, but many of us see promise in him and don't want this douche spouting off. You act like our attack is unprovoked. Why are you so hell-bent to defend him? The onus is on you, 86.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
These posts are hilarious. Everyone rips apart someone's credibility bc their opinion is different than their own and even attack how "crappy" of a player they were, meanwhile the people who are discrediting these analyst's by their failures are somehow more knowledgeable yet have not even stepped on an NFL field as anything more than a fan.

I don't like seeing a rookie Ram, or a Ram In general, have a bad article written on them. But the fact of the matter is he may be just as right as all those who believe Goff will be great.

c'mon man, he said goff was an average thrower of the football. what on earth is he watching? anyone with eyes can see that's not true.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Everyone rips apart someone's credibility bc their opinion is different than their own
He said that Keenum isn't backup QB material for ANY of the other 31 teams in the league. That's not an opinion. It's asinine. Forget being a Rams fan...anyone with a pound of football knowledge would be scratching their head at that statement. He has no credibility. Now maybe if he were to say that Case is the worst starting QB in the league that would be a debatable opinion.
Why are you so bothered over it anyway?

fancents86

Starter
My gripe was with people taking the attack personal. The original post never contained the actual article, so I didn't read it, I only read the "summary" by a certain member. That didn't include anything about what was just brought up by mojo, the summary was vague. Which is why I didn't see a need to bring someone's personal achievements into the mix. I'm guessing the summary was sweeter than the whole article? Anyway....my fault, carry on fellas.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how smart Simms would automatically become if he were overly positive about Goff and blamed the coaching staff for his development.:rolllaugh:

Come on Memphis, it isn't even about that. There is no prevalence of logic in Simms criticism. Goff didn't struggle at Cal since his freshman year and he improved every year after. And the weak arm ball has no sip comment is false. You can see that much on Hard knocks. The ball shoots out of his hand. Then consider how many teams were interested in drafting him. How is it that Chris Simms is the only guy that thinks Goff couldn't even be a back up in the NFL?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Come on Memphis, it isn't even about that. There is no prevalence of logic in Simms criticism. Goff didn't struggle at Cal since his freshman year and he improved every year after. And the weak arm ball has no sip comment is false. You can see that much on Hard knocks. The ball shoots out of his hand. Then consider how many teams were interested in drafting him. How is it that Chris Simms is the only guy that thinks Goff couldn't even be a back up in the NFL?

Just watched the first video and Simms said Keenum wouldn't be a backup QB for most teams.

And while I like Keenum, I agree that it really shouldn't be any contest for the starting nod given Goff's draft position and the capital given up to obtain him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just watched the first video and Simms said Keenum wouldn't be a backup QB for most teams.

And while I like Keenum, I agree that it really shouldn't be any contest for the starting nod given Goff's draft position and the capital given up to obtain him.

Goff has never played under center before. Everyone knows that transitioning from college spread systems to the NFL is not easy to do. Some guys pick it up faster than others, but most high draft choices are forced to play before they are ready. Critiquing Goff at this point in the process, is laughable. How does Simm's suppose to know anything about Fisher's plan to coach him up? It all just sounds like sour grapes to me. Simms probably thinks he was just as good as Goff and is mad that he was not a first over all pick. And Keenum could backup on most teams in the NFL. Denver even wanted him to be their starter.

Is your true identity actually Simms.

rdw

Pro Bowler
My gripe was with people taking the attack personal. The original post never contained the actual article, so I didn't read it, I only read the "summary" by a certain member. That didn't include anything about what was just brought up by mojo, the summary was vague. Which is why I didn't see a need to bring someone's personal achievements into the mix. I'm guessing the summary was sweeter than the whole article? Anyway....my fault, carry on fellas.
It's a video and I summarized it. I didn't exaggerate or make anything up. Watch the video.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I am somewhat surprised by the amount of negative spin related to Goff a good number of the (mainstream and minor stream) media continue to push. For those that spout the narrative that Goff is floundering or he is another Alex Smith, well that is not what I have seen. I wonder if their flawed perception of him is only shaped by the fact that Goff has not already won the starting job so in their small minds he must be an abject failure since he was the first overall pick. I think most of those laying out these negative spins in the media are lazy and obtuse in their reasoning. They do not really have a solid basis for why they are drawing their conclusions and actually have not really seen him play and practice. They see a highlight of his few preseason foibles and an unflattering stat line (not accounting for drops) and perhaps focus on a few negative comments from another idiot reporter and suddenly they form an opinion that Goff is struggling. It is almost as if they think the Rams past failures correlate to Goff’s impending failure. Perhaps a few of the arrogant idiots probably think that if they push a desired negative outcome they will somehow make it a fact (especially the whiner, cards, and seashat fans).

For Simms to state that Goff is a very average thrower completely obliterates his credibility. I am not an NFL personnel expert but I am a football fan that has seen 40 years of pro football and plenty of QB’s in that time period and for me Goff’s arm talent is obvious. Beyond the arm talent I see a Montana like coolness in Goff especially for someone so young. Sure he looks like a rookie at times but here is news flash, he is a rookie. Having some rookie moments still does not translate to looking like a lost deer in the headlights to me. I just do not see where people like Simms come up with their drivel. Perhaps Simms is bitter on how his failed pro career played out and so he projects that bitterness onto other young QB’s to whom he resents.

I feel it in my bones that Goff will be a very good QB one day and some of these same so call experts now slamming Goff will be the same ones praising him like they knew it all along.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Goff has never played under center before. Everyone knows that transitioning from college spread systems to the NFL is not easy to do. Some guys pick it up faster than others, but most high draft choices are forced to play before they are ready. Critiquing Goff at this point in the process, is laughable. How does Simm's suppose to know anything about Fisher's plan to coach him up? It all just sounds like sour grapes to me. Simms probably thinks he was just as good as Goff and is mad that he was not a first over all pick. And Keenum could backup on most teams in the NFL. Denver even wanted him to be their starter.

Is your true identity actually Simms.

You believe that Keenum could backup for most teams. Simms does not. There is no way to prove it either way so why bash the guy there? And Simms doesn't need to know anything about Fisher's plan to coach him up. No matter what, the expectations for Goff are going to be higher, given his draft position and especially due to the massive compensation given up to acquire the kid. It doesn't matter if he's a kid "who has never played under center before" and where "everyone knows that transitioning from college spread systems to the NFL is not easy to do," or not.

No. I'm not Chris Simms. But, I'm also not one with Rams Fan Blinders on, ready to bash someone who doesn't portray the Goff situation in it's best light. And I maintain, that if he offered a positive puff piece on the guy then said opinion wouldn't be considered laughable at this point in the process to many here.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This is actually good news. Chris Simms is on Boston radio during the season and all last year he kept saying Brady was overrated and was not in the top 5 QB last year. This went on all year basically. There are a bunch of articles about it if you google it. Here are a couple.

Please focus on his analysis and not your hatred of the Patriots lol. Manning was one of the worst QBs last year, yet Manning makes Simms' top five in November.

If Simms thinks Goff is bad then he is probably going to be great.

http://nesn.com/2014/11/chris-simms-the-dream-of-tom-brady-as-a-top-five-quarterback-has-to-end/

http://nesn.com/2015/09/tom-brady-still-cant-crack-chris-simms-top-five-nfl-quarterbacks-list/

Its worth noting Brady was 3rd in passing yards and 1st in TD passes and had the least amount of INTs for QB who threw 300 passes or more, but does not make Simms top 5.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Chris Simms is just bitter that he'll never be on par with someone of Goff's talent let alone his dad.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Goff stuff doesn't bother me as much because he's still an unknown at this point. Three weeks into preseason is basically the infant stage of his pro career so all opinions are still valid.

Simms' comments on Keenum not being good enough to be a #2 QB in the NFL is asinine. It's simply not true and clearly wipes out his credibility as an analyst.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matt Simms may stick around the NFL as long as Chris did. That's got to hurt

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You believe that Keenum could backup for most teams. Simms does not. There is no way to prove it either way so why bash the guy there? And Simms doesn't need to know anything about Fisher's plan to coach him up. No matter what, the expectations for Goff are going to be higher, given his draft position and especially due to the massive compensation given up to acquire the kid. It doesn't matter if he's a kid "who has never played under center before" and where "everyone knows that transitioning from college spread systems to the NFL is not easy to do," or not.

No. I'm not Chris Simms. But, I'm also not one with Rams Fan Blinders on, ready to bash someone who doesn't portray the Goff situation in it's best light. And I maintain, that if he offered a positive puff piece on the guy then said opinion wouldn't be considered laughable at this point in the process to many here.

Massive compensation basically is a first round pick. The rest is not that valuable.Casserole said so himself and Goff was a successful college QB, and considered the most likely to succeed in the NFL.

You say Rams fans with blinders on I say Rams fans with faith and hope. You act like we shouldn't be writing the book on Goff, well neither should Simms. And news flash Memphis. Keenum has been a backup QB for a few years now. Kind of blows Simms theory out of the water, especially when Denver was trying to sign him to start.

Then the bit about the ball coming out of Goffs hand also shoots down Simms critique. You can love Simms if you want. I think he sucks.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Chrissy Simms is about as intelligent as a dog fart. Love what @Boston Ram posted above...and it totally jives with everything I have heard this albino tool spout before. Derrrp.....