Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
The scrambling is pushing him up for me...plus the strong arm...just a few passes here and there can put a team like ours over the top.... Hope I can see him this Saturday.

I'm sick of seeing late passes....

But I also really want to give this guy 2 studs (Treadwell & Thomas/Doctson/Boyd)

I also think we can grab Wentz with our 2nd round pick...

Yeaa...Wentz won't last to the 2nd.

If we we grab him at 15...

You could still possibly get both a QBs BFF (A big bodied TE with soft hands in Henry) and a WR like Boyd with crazy body control.

It's amazing what a legit, above average TE does for a QB.

FRO

Legend

You could still possibly get both a QBs BFF (A big bodied TE with soft hands in Henry) and a WR like Boyd with crazy body control.

If the Rams are smart they pick Wentz at 1 and then use their next 4 picks adding offensive talent around him. Get a veteran capable of starting a season for you. Two free agents I would give a shot to is Chase Daniel, or Matt Moore. Get rid of Foles. Do not want to go down that road again.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams are smart they pick Wentz at 1 and then use their next 4 picks adding offensive talent around him. Get a veteran capable of starting a season for you. Two free agents I would give a shot to is Chase Daniel, or Matt Moore. Get rid of Foles. Do not want to go down that road again.

4 picks is probably overkill. Adding a bunch of rookie WRs doesn't sound like a good idea to me. We all saw the growing pains the OL had with a bunch of rookies. I'm good with adding a rookie WR or two. But we need to add a veteran to play with Britt. Because odds are that the rookies will not be ready to step into major roles and play at a consistently high level.

FRO

Legend
4 picks is probably overkill. Adding a bunch of rookie WRs doesn't sound like a good idea to me. We all saw the growing pains the OL had with a bunch of rookies. I'm good with adding a rookie WR or two. But we need to add a veteran to play with Britt. Because odds are that the rookies will not be ready to step into major roles and play at a consistently high level.
You have Britt, Austin, and Marquez as your returning veterans. I'm looking at the Jacksonville model. They paired Bortles with Lee and Robinson. Lee hasn't lived up to the hype, Robinson has. I think we can draft 2 WRs and a TE and maybe get line depth with the 4 picks. We can draft a DE and a MLB, but we need to give our QB young talent to grow with.

Stel

Starter
I also think we can grab Wentz with our 2nd round pick...

Say you go with that plan and take WR Treadwell at #15. Then at #41 Chicago, or #42 Miami, decides to take Wentz. What do you do then?

I think the better course is to ID your QB and get him. Trade up for Goff, stay put for Wentz, but go get your QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I'm with you man. Henry and Boyd both bring such good hands this offense would find itself very proficient on third down, you're not gonna see either of those guys making Cook-like drops on key throws that are on target. I am soooo tired of that BS.

Athos

Legend
Say you go with that plan and take WR Treadwell at #15. Then at #41 Chicago, or #42 Miami, decides to take Wentz. What do you do then?

I think the better course is to ID your QB and get him. Trade up for Goff, stay put for Wentz, but go get your QB.

Yea. In this scenario you'd have to trade back up for Wentz. Possible. Don't like the odds.

I think Henry would help more than Treadwell. I'd love an Eifert.

FRO

Legend
Yea. In this scenario you'd have to trade back up for Wentz. Possible. Don't like the odds.

I think Henry would help more than Treadwell. I'd love an Eifert.
Yeah if you like Wentz, just pick him at 15. Don't be cute like you were with Bobby Wagoner. Get your guy and be happy with it. You can get good receivers in the second round.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
What I like:

1. He comes from a pro style offense that utilizes play action and it seems natural for him.

2. His footwork in the pocket and his set up is very solid.

3. He has the "presence" of a winning QB.

What I don't like:

1. He fails to protect himself and the ball when he runs. NFL defenders would destroy him at the next level. His instincts and style of movement make me think he is an injury waiting to happen.

2. He has good, not elite accuracy. This surprises me because his fundamentals are sound. I'm not sure what to make of it yet.

3. He will need a year to develop and I'm tired of waiting. You don't get the necessary experience holding a clipboard (Mannion). Frankly, I want a veteran QB

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If we draft him in the first round it's to start. Does he have the resiliency to deal with all that would entail? Definitely would need to get him some sure handed targets. Our current crew of misfits would potentially hurt his confidence because we all know they aren't going to make a play for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we draft him in the first round it's to start. Does he have the resiliency to deal with all that would entail? Definitely would need to get him some sure handed targets. Our current crew of misfits would potentially hurt his confidence because we all know they aren't going to make a play for him.

I don't think taking him in the first round means he starts right away, for the record. Keenum is clearly the spot holder until the kid is ready, he's the guy who will need to be beaten out in camp.

And actually if you look at our OL and the job they did in protection for Keenum, the Rams will be quite desirable to a new QB. They just have to improve at wideout and IMO the Rams will make a splash in FA at that position then follow up with a WR with one of those round 2 picks which will be sufficient to have a very good passing game from a talent perspective.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I don't think taking him in the first round means he starts right away, for the record. Keenum is clearly the spot holder until the kid is ready, he's the guy who will need to be beaten out in camp.

And actually if you look at our OL and the job they did in protection for Keenum, the Rams will be quite desirable to a new QB. They just have to improve at wideout and IMO the Rams will make a splash in FA at that position then follow up with a WR with one of those round 2 picks which will be sufficient to have a very good passing game from a talent perspective.

With Keenum we go 2-2 in the first quarter, then we bring in the kid.

Why would we do that rather than start the kid from day one? It'll cost us a win but he'll be better prepared going forward. The kid needs PT.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Keenum we go 2-2 in the first quarter, then we bring in the kid.

Why would we do that rather than start the kid from day one? It'll cost us a win but he'll be better prepared going forward. The kid needs PT.

It just comes down to how quickly he grasps the playbook. All players have an adjustment period in the NFL of course and with the QBs it is not a good idea to play them until they at least have the playbook down and know their hots, protections, etc at game speed. When they go out there before that point they just get beat up and lose confidence.

What is a good thing is the protection the Rams OL should provide. They did quite well this season particularly down the stretch. And even better there should be a very good run game as well. So, yes, I do think if they took Wentz he might be able to start right away, just pointing out it's not a certainty is all.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It just comes down to how quickly he grasps the playbook. All players have an adjustment period in the NFL of course and with the QBs it is not a good idea to play them until they at least have the playbook down and know their hots, protections, etc at game speed. When they go out there before that point they just get beat up and lose confidence.

What is a good thing is the protection the Rams OL should provide. They did quite well this season particularly down the stretch. And even better there should be a very good run game as well. So, yes, I do think if they took Wentz he might be able to start right away, just pointing out it's not a certainty is all.

Great points, especially on the hot reads and protections. He has to know those cold in order to be on the field.

Would love to see us developed a franchise QB after a decade of struggling at the position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You have Britt, Austin, and Marquez as your returning veterans. I'm looking at the Jacksonville model. They paired Bortles with Lee and Robinson. Lee hasn't lived up to the hype, Robinson has. I think we can draft 2 WRs and a TE and maybe get line depth with the 4 picks. We can draft a DE and a MLB, but we need to give our QB young talent to grow with.

The Jacksonville model didn't work in Year 1. The Rams need to add a veteran to that group and then add a rookie or two. The Jaguars weren't planning to contend in Year 1. We will be. Throwing a bunch of rookie WRs out there will cause the same issues that the rookie OL did this year. You're going to have inconsistent play from guys that are a bit in over their head.

We don't need to give our QB YOUNG talent to grow with. We just need to give him talent, period. In fact, I think a young QB would benefit more from veteran talent.

FRO

Legend
The Jacksonville model didn't work in Year 1. The Rams need to add a veteran to that group and then add a rookie or two. The Jaguars weren't planning to contend in Year 1. We will be. Throwing a bunch of rookie WRs out there will cause the same issues that the rookie OL did this year. You're going to have inconsistent play from guys that are a bit in over their head.

We don't need to give our QB YOUNG talent to grow with. We just need to give him talent, period. In fact, I think a young QB would benefit more from veteran talent.
Who do you have in mind? It's going to be very hard to sign a guy. What receiver wants to come to a team where we don't throw it too often and there is mass uncertainty at the QB position. To get a veteran most likely we wi have to trade. A guy that may be attainable is Golden Taint. He has played in a run first offense and is a solid WR. Maybe not a number one, but a good receiver that will fit what we want to do.

FRO

Legend
Over pay for Jeffrey
If he hits the market, yes. Highly doubt he will though. If you were Jeffrey would you sign to a team with an unsettled QB situation and a team that doesn't pass the ball too often? I know money speaks, but we won't be the only one overpaying for him.