Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would be ok with getting Lynch but I prefer Wentz. I still dont think the cowgirls draft a qb. Man the draft is too far away!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would be ok with getting Lynch but I prefer Wentz. I still dont think the cowgirls draft a qb. Man the draft is too far away!
How's this....http://nflmocks.com/2016/01/29/2-round-2016-nfl-mock-draft-rams-make-blockbuster-trade/6/

RAVENS GET1ST IN '16, TWO 2ND'S IN '16, AND 3RD IN '17

RAMS GET6TH OVERALL PICK
CARSON WENTZ
QB, North Dakota St.
The Rams make the big move of the 2016 Draft, trading all the way up to sixth overall to select their quarterback of the future. The Rams are desperate at the position and know that this select could go a long way in helping them get into the playoffs. Wentz sports a strong arm and good accuracy, while displaying the athleticism to escape pressure and extend plays.

Or too expensive?!? I think I'd wait for Lynch at 15...maybe...Wentz looks & sounds the part. Can I see Lynch's Wonderlic score first? What's his major?

tahoe

Pro Bowler
How's this....http://nflmocks.com/2016/01/29/2-round-2016-nfl-mock-draft-rams-make-blockbuster-trade/6/

RAMS GET6TH OVERALL PICK
CARSON WENTZ
QB, North Dakota St.
The Rams make the big move of the 2016 Draft, trading all the way up to sixth overall to select their quarterback of the future. The Rams are desperate at the position and know that this select could go a long way in helping them get into the playoffs. Wentz sports a strong arm and good accuracy, while displaying the athleticism to escape pressure and extend plays.

Or too expensive?!? I think I'd wait for Lynch at 15...maybe...Wentz looks & sounds the part. Can I see Lynch's Wonderlic score first? What's his major?
Wow that's tough, if I knew Lynch would be there at 15 Id probably stay but there isnt a guarantee that he would still be there. I think I'd make the move to guarantee a franchise qb.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

RAMS GET6TH OVERALL PICK
CARSON WENTZ
QB, North Dakota St.

Not sure I'd be willing to give up both of our 2nds, unless by some miracle we got a great free agent, e.g., Alshon Jeffrey or someone like that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't see Lynch lasting to 15. There sure are a lot of disputing him there.

Anyone else think Wentz has an erratic long ball? His underneath stuff is often underthrown also. I guess that is a footwork issue, when he rushes a throw I notice he is very good when his first read is open, especIally with intermediate throws..very good. When that guy is covered he doesn't find a secondary target quickly and has to run. Holds on too long? I watched the Weber state and Northern Illinois games games from Draft Breakdown. Wentz's first target is nearly always open. When he has to look elsewhere he rarely found anyone. I am not convinced that he is the slam dunk that the media buzz would have everyone think. I think everyone is crazy about the measurable. Cook is inconsistent but he is much better at making reads and finding other targets quickly.

Besides Goff, I wouldn't want the Rams moving up for any of these QBs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

RAMS GET6TH OVERALL PICK
CARSON WENTZ
QB, North Dakota St.

If you believe he is the guy who can lead your offense and you're right there is no price too much to pay.

That said I'd rather give up next year's first round pick since it's going to be very late anyway. I want a WR and TE too so I would not give up both of this year's second rounders. I think the Ravens would go for our 15 overall in 2016, our later second round pick in 2016, and next year's first round pick. I'd throw that deal out there to all teams picking before 7 if necessary and see who bites.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see Lynch lasting to 15. There sure are a lot of disputing him there.

Anyone else think Wentz has an erratic long ball? His underneath stuff is often underthrown also. I guess that is a footwork issue, when he rushes a throw I notice he is very good when his first read is open, especIally with intermediate throws..very good. When that guy is covered he doesn't find a secondary target quickly and has to run. Holds on too long? I watched the Weber state and Northern Illinois games games from Draft Breakdown. Wentz's first target is nearly always open. When he has to look elsewhere he rarely found anyone. I am not convinced that he is the slam dunk that the media buzz would have everyone think. I think everyone is crazy about the measurable. Cook is inconsistent but he is much better at making reads and finding other targets quickly.

Besides Goff, I wouldn't want the Rams moving up for any of these QBs.

Didn't see the same issues. Saw a kid that was very adept at working through his progressions. Didn't tuck and run until he had exhausted his passing options or was forced to by pressure. And I didn't notice him having issues with under-throwing shorter passes. At least not often enough for me to consider it a notable flaw.

The deep ball was inconsistent to a degree...but he also had really slow WRs. I saw a number of quality deep throws from him. He had to put a lot of arc on his deep throws because he didn't really have a guy who he could just launch it to and wait for him to run under it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn't see the same issues. Saw a kid that was very adept at working through his progressions. Didn't tuck and run until he had exhausted his passing options or was forced to by pressure. And I didn't notice him having issues with under-throwing shorter passes. At least not often enough for me to consider it a notable flaw.

The deep ball was inconsistent to a degree...but he also had really slow WRs. I saw a number of quality deep throws from him. He had to put a lot of arc on his deep throws because he didn't really have a guy who he could just launch it to and wait for him to run under it.

I noticed on some of his throws, especially deep middle he floated the ball. It reminded me of Austin Davis. Then at other times he zipped it in nice. He has some inconsistencies there.

In those two games he didn't look like he was going through his progressions. His first read was almost always open When he did have to look for other options it looked more like he was trying to find his receivers, as if they were not where they should be,or he was having trouble finding them. It was not as concise as when Cook does it. I guess the talent that surrounds him would affect such a thing if guys were not running good routes.

He does a good job of leading the team and moving the ball late in games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I noticed on some of his throws, especially deep middle he floated the ball. It reminded me of Austin Davis. Then at other times he zipped it in nice. He has some inconsistencies there.

He can launch it. I saw him launch a couple with ridiculous zip 50+ yards down the field but they weren't caught. Didn't really have a WR that can break away and run under those sort of balls. So he had to float them a bit to allow his guys to make a play on the ball since he mainly had possession WRs.

In those two games he didn't look like he was going through his progressions. His first read was almost always open When he did have to look for other options it looked more like he was trying to find his receivers, as if they were not where they should be,or he was having trouble finding them. It was not as concise as when Cook does it. I guess the talent that surrounds him would affect such a thing if guys were not running good routes.

Might just be the games. I've seen quite a few plays where he went through multiple progressions and made full-field reads. While NDSU doesn't run a pure pro style offense, it has a lot of pro style pass concepts. Here's an example:
View: https://zippy.gfycat.com/MessyHiddenGemsbok.webm

Scans right to left initially to survey the field and then progresses horizontally from left to right. Goes through his first two progressions before finding his third progression over the middle.

He does a good job of leading the team and moving the ball late in games.

True. Although, he needs to do a better job of protecting the ball. Have seen him fumble it a few times during crucial moments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He can launch it. I saw him launch a couple with ridiculous zip 50+ yards down the field but they weren't caught. Didn't really have a WR that can break away and run under those sort of balls. So he had to float them a bit to allow his guys to make a play on the ball since he mainly had possession WRs.

Might just be the games. I've seen quite a few plays where he went through multiple progressions and made full-field reads. While NDSU doesn't run a pure pro style offense, it has a lot of pro style pass concepts. Here's an example:
View: https://zippy.gfycat.com/MessyHiddenGemsbok.webm

Scans right to left initially to survey the field and then progresses horizontally from left to right. Goes through his first two progressions before finding his third progression over the middle.

True. Although, he needs to do a better job of protecting the ball. Have seen him fumble it a few times during crucial moments.

On that play he looked left then middle. I didn't see him look right. It usually looks like he only looks for two options. By then he is putting his eyes down and running. Maybe he only has two receivers he trusts.

In the championship game he was not accurate, but I considered the injury had played a factor for that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On that play he looked left then middle. I didn't see him look right. It usually looks like he only looks for two options. By then he is putting his eyes down and running. Maybe he only has two receivers he trusts.

In the championship game he was not accurate, but I considered the injury had played a factor for that.

Right after he gets the snap, he looks right to left to scan the field before starting his progressions with the outside WR to the left then moves to the inside WR to the left and then the WR on the deep crosser in the middle.

Yea, in the Championship, his deep ball wasn't accurate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Right after he gets the snap, he looks right to left to scan the field before starting his progressions with the outside WR to the left then moves to the inside WR to the left and then the WR on the deep crosser in the middle.

Yea, in the Championship, his deep ball wasn't accurate.

Reattached it again. Plus that was a game I watched. I never see him look right. He looks left short and then left middle and throws.

I am not saying he won't make a good QB. I do think he is not as polished as some think. I don't buy the first overall talk either. Goff looks like a much better prospect. Take Wentz body with Cooks polish and you have a guy that can go number one. It may take him a year or most of one to start. If the Rams trade up for him they have to sit him to learn IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reattached it again. Plus that was a game I watched. I never see him look right. He looks left short and then left middle and throws.

I am not saying he won't make a good QB. I do think he is not as polished as some think. I don't buy the first overall talk either. Goff looks like a much better prospect. Take Wentz body with Cooks polish and you have a guy that can go number one. It may take him a year or most of one to start. If the Rams trade up for him they have to sit him to learn IMO.

Click the link under the gif. It'll allow you to start and stop it. Keep clicking on the start/pause button quickly from the beginning so it moves in slow motion. Right after he catches the snap, he looks right. You can see a very subtle head movement there if you watch it in slow motion. Then he moves to the left and quickly goes through his first two progressions before finding his third progression, Urzendowski on the crossing route.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Click the link under the gif. It'll allow you to start and stop it. Keep clicking on the start/pause button quickly from the beginning so it moves in slow motion. Right after he catches the snap, he looks right. You can see a very subtle head movement there if you watch it in slow motion. Then he moves to the left and quickly goes through his first two progressions before finding his third progression, Urzendowski on the crossing route.

He barely even glanced that way. It was so early in the play that the receivers were barely off the line. That is not really making a read when they barely take a step. That is closer to a presnap read. I don't think he even needed to look that way because he chose the right play but it looks like he sees primary covered and throws to secondary and that is about it on every play, only the primary is usually open. He doesn't look for three or four possibilities at all when things break down. He does a very quick scan and tucks. I also expected much better pocket awareness and ability to extend the play. He can run downfield great. He is not a scrambler and when he goes on the move he is not looking downfield long at all. Like I said if he is thrown into the fire too soon that tendency to run instead of looking for a receiver may become a bad habit like it has with many others. The ability to run is great, but turning to run too often is not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He barely even glanced that way. It was so early in the play that the receivers were barely off the line. That is not really making a read when they barely take a step. That is closer to a presnap read.

Yea, that's exactly it (he was making a post-snap read)...that's what I was saying he did. I said he looked right and scanned the field back to the left. He was making a quick post-snap read to see what the defense was doing before starting his progressions.

I don't think he even needed to look that way because he chose the right play but it looks like he sees primary covered and throws to secondary and that is about it on every play, only the primary is usually open. He doesn't look for three or four possibilities at all when things break down. He does a very quick scan and tucks.

As I said before, the play illustrates Wentz's ability to quickly go through pro style progressions.

When things break down, you don't have time to continue to go through progressions. You either hit a checkdown or you buy time. Sitting there and trying to go through more reads just gets you sacked.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He barely even glanced that way. It was so early in the play that the receivers were barely off the line. That is not really making a read when they barely take a step.
That defines a post-snap read...Just like jrry says...He's not looking for his receivers, he's checking what the defenders are doing....which is pro-style IMO.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That defines a post-snap read...Just like jrry says...He's not looking for his receivers, he's checking what the defenders are doing....which is pro-style IMO.

And that is not what I was talking about. I said when the play breaks down and his first read is not open he does not scan the field and try to keep looking pass. He seems to read his second target sometimes and then tucks to run. I know that he was just doing a pre/post snap read. But that is not the same thing as I was critiquing him on.

I am not saying Wentz will suck in the NFL. I am saying that he still needs a bit of work and that he is not as good as the current hype. I see inaccuracy at times deep and short, which is probably related to footwork, I see a tendency to tuck and run and not scan the entire field. I also see a guy that doesn't protect himself. Start him in year one and it may be a struggle. I think he should sit. Now, if the Rams find an adequate starter and pick Wentz with the intention of sitting him, then sure. But I don't think he takes them to the playoffs in 2016.

I like Goff much more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am saying that he still needs a bit of work and that he is not as good as the current hype.
I feel ya bruh....But ALL rookies need a bit of work...Usually it's the ones willing to put in the extras that turn into good/elite pros....

And I think any capable QB can take us to the playoffs....To WIN in the playoffs is an entirely different conversation.

I think Goff will play better in the beginning.... I think the upside of Wentz & Lynch...and for that matter Hackenberg/Jones/Cook may be higher....reminds me of an old discussion of ceilings & floors...would you rather have a player with a higher ceiling, or higher floor? Snead seems to look at ceilings...

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im not so sure about Goff playing better early, he hasn't played in any sort of a pro style offense and has a lot to learn. He has been in an air raid system that doesn't require under center snaps nor reading progressions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that is not what I was talking about. I said when the play breaks down and his first read is not open he does not scan the field and try to keep looking pass. He seems to read his second target sometimes and then tucks to run. I know that he was just doing a pre/post snap read. But that is not the same thing as I was critiquing him on.

I am not saying Wentz will suck in the NFL. I am saying that he still needs a bit of work and that he is not as good as the current hype. I see inaccuracy at times deep and short, which is probably related to footwork, I see a tendency to tuck and run and not scan the entire field. I also see a guy that doesn't protect himself. Start him in year one and it may be a struggle. I think he should sit. Now, if the Rams find an adequate starter and pick Wentz with the intention of sitting him, then sure. But I don't think he takes them to the playoffs in 2016.

I like Goff much more.

I like Goff more too. Wentz does need work. But you're drafting him for what he'll become. The tools are elite. And he's not lacking mentally or instinctually. He's a guy you develop.

But I'm not so certain that we couldn't make the playoffs with him. He doesn't need to provide that much for the Rams to make it. He has Gurley and the defense to lean on.

Im not so sure about Goff playing better early, he hasn't played in any sort of a pro style offense and has a lot to learn. He has been in an air raid system that doesn't require under center snaps nor reading progressions.

Eh, I think you're generalizing a bit based on his system. Goff goes through progressions and makes full-field reads. He has less responsibility at the LOS than a QB in a pro style offense but he's flipped the script on that in a way.