Camp Report 8/5/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My goodness. :palm: Don't even know where to begin.

Do you watch this guy play teams? He's VERY physical.

He needs to grow up and understand this is his job.

And the coaches need to give him some opportunities to tote the rock.

It appears to me however he's destined to be cut and if so, I'm betting he resurfaces elsewhere only to shine much brighter for a team where he gets a fresh start outside of the doghouse.
I have SOME of the same expectation about Pead, caveat he may not be reachable,he may be so wrapped in self to ever get it, but this ain't high school and he NEEDS to earn those opportunities ,I'd say he's already been GIVEN too much and it's a huge part of his attitude

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've been hard on Pead pretty much since he got here... To the point I've walked that fine line of what we accept here at ROD relative to critique.

The reason being; it's one thing to fail giving 100%. What more can you ask of someone?

It's another thing to waste your talent and opportunity because of your actions and attitude.

I have a low tolerance for the latter.

I have always hoped at some point it clicks with Pead. But the clock is ticking. He owns that!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Well, I don't think he is on the fence because of the injury. I think he may have finally worn out his welcome. I have heard a few things I am not at liberty to share just yet, about some things that have happened. Let's just say, the things you hear about him not being exactly the best teammate might be more accurate than previously "reported".

He can't be a worst teammate than Golden Taint... from what I've heard.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I am definitely projecting different, based on his resumed role as a core ST player. And if that truly ends up being the case, I am ready to say that Pead may be the guy who ends up out the door. But that's for another thread.

Thanks Coach. I think we were both impressed by Reynolds' ST contributions last year, particularly on the punt team, and I'm glad to hear he's solidifying that role because it was such a strong unit for us last year.

I really appreciate all the work you put into these camp threads! Wish I could be there this year, but having these reports helps.

My goodness. :palm: Don't even know where to begin.

Do you watch this guy play teams? He's VERY physical.

He needs to grow up and understand this is his job.

And the coaches need to give him some opportunities to tote the rock.

It appears to me however he's destined to be cut and if so, I'm betting he resurfaces elsewhere only to shine much brighter for a team where he gets a fresh start outside of the doghouse.

Pead played? When was that? I must have been getting a beer at the time.

jjab360

Legend
I couldn't disagree with that statement more. His issues are ALL about a lack of maturity and selfishness.
No offense, but there's really no way you could know that without being in that locker room or coaches' meetings. That's pretty much the height of speculation.

Slappy967

Starter
Coach thanks as always for the camp reports you are a godsend. As it pertains to Michael Sam would you say he isnt really a factor in anything special teams related? Thought that was something they were initially pushing for him. I have long held the belief that due to our logjam on the D line that Sam will be making our practice squad this year. Agree/disagree? Your thoughts?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No offense, but there's really no way you could know that without being in that locker room or coaches' meetings. That's pretty much the height of speculation.
If you say so.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

Or you could talk to people who are in that locker room or coaches' meetings. Most reporting in the world (not just in sports) isn't first hand knowledge, after all.

And .... Quite frankly .... This isn't the first time that this issue has been 'reported' - or the second.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach thanks as always for the camp reports you are a godsend. As it pertains to Michael Sam would you say he isnt really a factor in anything special teams related? Thought that was something they were initially pushing for him. I have long held the belief that due to our logjam on the D line that Sam will be making our practice squad this year. Agree/disagree? Your thoughts?

He is being included in the Kickoff Return Team, and I suspect as they started whittling down the roster, (they have to get down to 75 with the first cut) you may see him showing up more and more.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
We're winning the Super Bowl! :)

When it comes to the blitz and the mad scientist, is it mostly out of 4-3? Or is completely switching it around? Are Quinn and long switching ends? Lining up inside?
Ive only been to the scrimmage but one of craziest blitzes I saw there was Long standing up in the middle of the d line and blitzing the A gap, if that gives you an idea of the creativity.

Athos

Legend
How tight are Quick's routes these days? You've given us nothing but good stuff out of him, but how does his route tree look? And what exactly has he been running?

You think Harkey could be a legitimate pass catching threat this season?

Does Kendricks look any faster this season?

Who would you prefer makes the team? Pettis or Givens? Pettis can at least make RZ plays and score TDs. Givens...not so much.

Moe getting any 2nd team reps?

A320driver

Rookie

OK...Then I'll back him up on it, because it' got more legs than you think.
ZERO Speculation...There's definitely a maturity issue, as well as questioning as to the process of forethought when it comes to doing things during down time that are blatantly in conflict with team policy.
Reference: last years one game suspension

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How tight are Quick's routes these days? You've given us nothing but good stuff out of him, but how does his route tree look? And what exactly has he been running?

You think Harkey could be a legitimate pass catching threat this season?

Does Kendricks look any faster this season?

Who would you prefer makes the team? Pettis or Givens? Pettis can at least make RZ plays and score TDs. Givens...not so much.

Moe getting any 2nd team reps?

Quick is being used in many different routes. He has looked good when running the deep post, finally using his size to his advantage. He runs the sideline fade, (ala Danario), running intermediate dig routes, and comeback routes. There really isn't much he isn't be asked to run, and he has shown a whole new confidence. Not only that, but BRADFORD is showing tremendous confidence in him by targeting him as a PRIMARY target quite often.

Harkey will be used as a receiver, but mostly on the waggle type routes as the underneath guy. But that was the same play he scored a TD vs. New Orleans last year.

kendricks does look much faster this year. It appears he has slimmed down some, but still will be counted on as an in line TE. He ran a seam route in Saturday's practice at the dome htat would have been a HUGE gain. They ran BOTH Kendricks and Cook up the seam and the single high safety was in a no win situation.

If presented a choice in either/or, I would pick Givens at this point. And I am not a Chris Givens fan. I honestly think Pettis can be replaced (my pick would be someone like TJ Moe, or even Veltung) as the backup slot receiver.

Moe is still working primarily with the 3rd unit, but has shown up in each of this week's practices, catching 2 or 3 passes in each. He catches EVERYTHING, and shown the quickness to out run (separate) CB on the crossing routes out of the Slot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But didn't you assert that Pead's problems are all attributed to a lack of vision and lack of physicality? How could you possibly know that without being on the sidelines during practices or games? As is the case with almost everything, I think the *truth* lies somewhere in the middle. He probably has some learning issues coupled with a few chinks in his game. IMO, it's not a case of him either being stupid/immature or ... untalented.

Mamfm5

UDFA
Nice. I liked your comment about Jake Long coming to the defense of Austin too.
Any other tidbits you'd like to share?

This was the third time I stopped by. I work around the corner, so that makes it easy especially after a long day of sitting in front of a computer. Though it has been said by many, there are a few guys who have definitely stood out. First, Quick looks like a completely different person, and I put A LOT of that on the addition of Britt. Quick is attached to his hip constantly, and I think some of Britt's bravado has rubbed off on him. I also think Austin looks much more comfortable, and is catching almost everything thrown his way. Not only is he making the easy catches, but he is making the kind of catches that makes me think he can be successful lining up on the outside. Also, I believe that Stacy has looked head and shoulders better than the field running the ball, and looks better (not great) in pass pro.

On defense, Donald has been a standout. Granted he has been going up against inferior players much of camp, something he wont experience in games. Regardless, these are all still world class football players, and Donald has made them look like junior high players at times. He will have rookie moments, but dear lord can this guy fly off the snap. I watched some 1 on 1 rookie stuff while the vets stretched last week and I'm not sure a lineman even got his hands on Donald a single time. I am also willing to bet that Ogletree is going to have a break out season. It is hard to judge the secondary in these practices as the QB has much more time than usual to progress through his reads and for the WR's to break coverage but I do like what Gaines has brought to the table, but after that there is not much depth whatsoever.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This was the third time I stopped by. I work around the corner, so that makes it easy especially after a long day of sitting in front of a computer. Though it has been said by many, there are a few guys who have definitely stood out. First, Quick looks like a completely different person, and I put A LOT of that on the addition of Britt. Quick is attached to his hip constantly, and I think some of Britt's bravado has rubbed off on him. I also think Austin looks much more comfortable, and is catching almost everything thrown his way. Not only is he making the easy catches, but he is making the kind of catches that makes me think he can be successful lining up on the outside. Also, I believe that Stacy has looked head and shoulders better than the field running the ball, and looks better (not great) in pass pro.

On defense, Donald has been a standout. Granted he has been going up against inferior players much of camp, something he wont experience in games. Regardless, these are all still world class football players, and Donald has made them look like junior high players at times. He will have rookie moments, but dear lord can this guy fly off the snap. I watched some 1 on 1 rookie stuff while the vets stretched last week and I'm not sure a lineman even got his hands on Donald a single time. I am also willing to bet that Ogletree is going to have a break out season. It is hard to judge the secondary in these practices as the QB has much more time than usual to progress through his reads and for the WR's to break coverage but I do like what Gaines has brought to the table, but after that there is not much depth whatsoever.
Awesome stuff.

You should really post more. You know, since you're sitting in front of a computer so much. ;)

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Watching practice yesterday when I saw Tavon I just kept thinking about that Darren Sproles role in the New Orleans offense.

When is the first cut?