Camp Report 8/5/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/5/14

Players not participating:; Kadeem Jones, Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Trey Watts; Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold; Michael Brockers; Kendall Langford; Brandon McGee; Justin Veltung; Brandon Washington; Isaiah Pead

Brain Quick, LB Pat Schiller back at practice.

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in virtually ALL of the team drills, until final session of 11 on 11.

James Laurinaitis sighting, IN A WALKING BOOT…. Barrett Jones resurfaces on sideline

Today’s Attire: SHOULDER PADS and shorts

Offense:

1st Unit: Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale

2nd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Barnes, Bond, Hooey

3rd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Rhaney, Morrel, Dill

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Carrington; Donald; Quinn; MLB- Dunbar SLB- Ogletree; WLB- Armstrong; Johnson; Gaines; McLeod; McDonald

· Joyner took all the Nickel Reps with the 1st unit

2nd Unit: Hayes Harlan Conrath Sims Steward Bates Wilson Reid/Roberson Gaines C. Davis Alexander

· With McGee and Jenkins both out, Reid got 2nd unit reps, when they went to Nickel, Roberson came in on the outside at CB, and Gaines the Nickel

Theme of the day: DEFENSE PUSHES BACK

· The Mad Scientist Greg Williams was up to is old tricks

o Just about every conceivable blitz was put in today.

o Offense took some shots, but there were actually more than just a few plays where they couldn’t even get a throw off, because of the blitzes

· Concerted effort to work on running game

o Actually introduced a “9 on 9” drill, with offense vs. defense, no WR or CB.

o Exclusively working on running game

o Offensive Line was very effective; Stacy and Cunningham look ready

o Austin lined up in backfield, maybe 4 or 5 carries

o Mason shows quick feet, but still wants to dance in the hole instead of just hitting the hole and bouncing it

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

o Daniels Steward Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Harkey Conrath Barnes B. Cunningham Givens (both Pead and Veltung were unavailable)

2nd Unit:

o Alexander Millard Wilson A. Hill Sabino Blake J. Cunningham Brodine Sam Gaines Mason

7 on 7 & 11 on 11

Highlights:

Britt & Quick back with the 1st unit!

Bradford is throwing the ball very well. Decisive, Accurate, and has plenty of zip on his throws.

Gilbert has maybe his best practice. Great touch pass over Joyner and in front of Davis on corner route to sideline.

Bradford to Britt beats Gaines for DEEP pass from Bradford. Makes adjustment to ball in the air, and uses his body to shield off the defender who had good coverage.

Armstrong had nice coverage on Bayer (wheel route to sideline)

Tru Johnson had a couple of nice pass break ups in coverage

Roberson had INT on overthrown ball by Gilbert

TJ Moe nice crossing route, catch and run vs. Reid

PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH

Lowlights:

Offense struggled with the pressure which was non-stop.

Dropped passes by Cook

Depth at CB beyond Joyner and Gaines is worrisome.

Still too many players missing to get a read on who fits where.

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

Zero carry over from the chippy practice from yesterday. This was very “workmanlike”.

Anticipated physical practice never really materialized.

Players who have risen up the Special Teams Depth Chart is a good indication of who is mostly likely ahead of the game in terms of sticking around:

Chase Reynolds: he is made his way back to being a core player on ALL of the ST. Didn’t start out that way

Phillip Steward: very present on both coverage teams

EJ Gaines: showing up on 3 of the 4 core ST

Mo Alexander: same as Gaines, on 3 of the 4 core teams

Aaron Hiil, Mason Brodine, Etienne Sabino all on 2nd unit ST

Players who are noticeably ABSENT form Special Teams:

Marcus Roberson: just doesn’t like to tackle

Greg Reid: 4th in line as KO Returner; 3rd in line as Punt Returner

Darren Woodard: not a good sign

CLOSED Special Team Practice tomorrow, and game prep of Thursday!

PhxRam

Camp Report 8/5/14

Players not participating:; Kadeem Jones, Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Trey Watts; Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold; Michael Brockers; Kendall Langford; Brandon McGee; Justin Veltung; Brandon Washington; Isaiah Pead

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in virtually ALL of the team drills, until final session of 11 on 11.

James Laurinaitis sighting, IN A WALKING BOOT…. Barrett Jones resurfaces on sideline

Offense:

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Carrington; Donald; Quinn; MLB- Dunbar SLB- Ogletree; WLB- Armstrong; Johnson; Gaines; McLeod; McDonald

2nd Unit: Hayes Harlan Conrath Sims Steward Bates Wilson Reid/Roberson Gaines C. Davis Alexander

· With McGee and Jenkins both out, Reid got 2nd unit reps, when they went to Nickel, Roberson came in on the outside at CB, and Gaines the Nickel

o Offense took some shots, but there were actually more than just a few plays where they couldn’t even get a throw off, because of the blitzes

o Mason shows quick feet, but still wants to dance in the hole instead of just hitting the hole and bouncing it

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

o Daniels Steward Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Harkey Conrath Barnes B. Cunningham Givens (both Pead and Veltung were unavailable)

2nd Unit:

o Alexander Millard Wilson A. Hill Sabino Blake J. Cunningham Brodine Sam Gaines Mason

7 on 7 & 11 on 11

Highlights:

Bradford is throwing the ball very well. Decisive, Accurate, and has plenty of zip on his throws.

Gilbert has maybe his best practice. Great touch pass over Joyner and in front of Davis on corner route to sideline.

Bradford to Britt beats Gaines for DEEP pass from Bradford. Makes adjustment to ball in the air, and uses his body to shield off the defender who had good coverage.

Lowlights:

Dropped passes by Cook

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

Zero carry over from the chippy practice from yesterday. This was very “workmanlike”.

Players who have risen up the Special Teams Depth Chart is a good indication of who is mostly likely ahead of the game in terms of sticking around:

Chase Reynolds: he is made his way back to being a core player on ALL of the ST. Didn’t start out that way

As always thanks for your efforts coach.

Question about Tavon. Are they using him as a decoy much when lined up in the backfield?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Thanks Again Coach. I will just wait and read the answers to all the questions

FRO

Legend
Ok coach, Westbrooks vs Sam?

I'm really hoping Britt takes his OTA and camp performances into the regular season. He sounds like he is a true number one type receiver. I also hope Quick establishes himself as well. I'm confident in Austin and Bailey, those 4 could really emerge as a great group and would make passing on Watkins a very wise move.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As always thanks for your efforts coach.

Question about Tavon. Are they using him as a decoy much when lined up in the backfield?

He really isn't getting many reps back there in the 11 on 11 stuff right now. So when he lines up there, he is getting the ball in the other drills.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Thanks for the report. Sure sounds like Gaines is doing well. Hopefully the other young guys step up. I'm happy with Gaines and Tru. Hopefully Jenks plays up to his skill. How was Joyner today? Another report said he had a rough day, getting beaten a lot by the backup receivers.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Thanks Coach!

I know a little bit earlier you weren't projecting Reynolds to make the squad, would you project differently at this point?

Mamfm5

UDFA
Not that it was carryover from yesterday, but J. Long did have some not so nice things to say to Joyner after his physical coverage on Austin on a TD pass to the corner. I happened to be standing on the rope right there and he gave him a shove and told him to 'F'in stop, or he I will beat your add' receivers and Dunbar came into break it. Not looking into this as anything whatsoever, more of just sharing what I saw.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Great review CoachO and I thank you.

A few quick questions for you, whenever you get the time:
1. Michael Sam's participation: is he seeing the field much outside of S/T? I haven't read all the reports, but his name doesn't seem to be popping up much. Curious to see if you think he's shown enough to steal a roster spot.
2. Christian Bryant: I saw he finally was cleared yesterday or the day before. At this point is he praying for the practice squad? Because it sounds like it's all Mcleod and Davis.
3. Has Ray Ray shown he can be a starting LB? Or is he still just emergency filler?

Thanks again! You da man!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Did you get a look at Westbrooks? If so, did he show anything?

He shows flashes, as he was lining up at DT with the 3rd unit, so obviously, reps were limited at best. I still maintain, unless he starts popping up on Special Teams, I wonder about his chances.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lining up an effective Britt/Quick/Cook with Tavon/Kendricks in sub packages just oozes mismatches and fun to watch. These guys can run block too(minus Cookie).
Getting pumped up here! :)
yes-fight-fight.gif

FRO

Legend
He shows flashes, as he was lining up at DT with the 3rd unit, so obviously, reps were limited at best. I still maintain, unless he starts popping up on Special Teams, I wonder about his chances.
But does his ability to play DE and DT make him more valuable? It's he or Sam. I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just intrigued by the battle. With Hayes and Simms free agents after the year we need to develop good rotational DEs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report. Sure sounds like Gaines is doing well. Hopefully the other young guys step up. I'm happy with Gaines and Tru. Hopefully Jenks plays up to his skill. How was Joyner today? Another report said he had a rough day, getting beaten a lot by the backup receivers.

Getting beat in 1 on 1 passing drills doesn't mean much to me. They ALL get beat in those. They are trying to defend the entire field, with NO pressure on the QB. Also, it has been the case in previous practices, but none as prevalent as today, 3 out of 4 plays run today by the offense, would have ended up in sacks, so trying to judge a DB in coverage is pointless.

Even a couple of the so called highlight catches, (one by Austin along the sideline, first of all, would never have been thrown, and second of all, had it been live, TJ McDonald was in position to lay a hit on an exposed Austin. Those kind of plays draw all sorts of oooh and aaahs from the crowd because it looks like a huge play for the offense, when in reality, its the defense who are the ones celebrating the play.

PhxRam

Camp Report 8/5/14

Offense:

Defense:

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

2nd Unit:

7 on 7 & 11 on 11

Highlights:

Lowlights:

Dropped passes by Cook

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

In you honest opinion coach, I know what you feel about the guy but those opinions aside, do you think Peads days are numbered? He seemed to be kind of on the fence (IMO of course) before the season started and with this injury it doesnt seem like it will help his cause.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach!

I know a little bit earlier you weren't projecting Reynolds to make the squad, would you project differently at this point?

I am definitely projecting different, based on his resumed role as a core ST player. And if that truly ends up being the case, I am ready to say that Pead may be the guy who ends up out the door. But that's for another thread.

lockdnram21

Legend
Getting beat in 1 on 1 passing drills doesn't mean much to me. They ALL get beat in those. They are trying to defend the entire field, with NO pressure on the QB. Also, it has been the case in previous practices, but none as prevalent as today, 3 out of 4 plays run today by the offense, would have ended up in sacks, so trying to judge a DB in coverage is pointless.

Even a couple of the so called highlight catches, (one by Austin along the sideline, first of all, would never have been thrown, and second of all, had it been live, TJ McDonald was in position to lay a hit on an exposed Austin. Those kind of plays draw all sorts of oooh and aaahs from the crowd because it looks like a huge play for the offense, when in reality, its the defense who are the ones celebrating the play.

so what your saying is kap and wilson better put they track shoes on. this d line is the best in the nfl

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Jims tweeted, that Mason is making progress as far as hitting the hole.
Have you seen any improvement?