Camp Report 8/5/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Camp Report 8/5/14

Players not participating:; Kadeem Jones, Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Trey Watts; Barrett Jones, Rodger Saffold; Michael Brockers; Kendall Langford; Brandon McGee; Justin Veltung; Brandon Washington; Isaiah Pead

Brain Quick, LB Pat Schiller back at practice.

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in virtually ALL of the team drills, until final session of 11 on 11.

James Laurinaitis sighting, IN A WALKING BOOT…. Barrett Jones resurfaces on sideline

Today’s Attire: SHOULDER PADS and shorts

Offense:

1st Unit: Long , Robinson, Wells, Joseph, Barksdale

2nd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Barnes, Bond, Hooey

3rd Unit: Person, Van Dyk, Rhaney, Morrel, Dill

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Carrington; Donald; Quinn; MLB- Dunbar SLB- Ogletree; WLB- Armstrong; Johnson; Gaines; McLeod; McDonald

· Joyner took all the Nickel Reps with the 1st unit

2nd Unit: Hayes Harlan Conrath Sims Steward Bates Wilson Reid/Roberson Gaines C. Davis Alexander

· With McGee and Jenkins both out, Reid got 2nd unit reps, when they went to Nickel, Roberson came in on the outside at CB, and Gaines the Nickel

Theme of the day: DEFENSE PUSHES BACK

· The Mad Scientist Greg Williams was up to is old tricks

o Just about every conceivable blitz was put in today.

o Offense took some shots, but there were actually more than just a few plays where they couldn’t even get a throw off, because of the blitzes

· Concerted effort to work on running game

o Actually introduced a “9 on 9” drill, with offense vs. defense, no WR or CB.

o Exclusively working on running game

o Offensive Line was very effective; Stacy and Cunningham look ready

o Austin lined up in backfield, maybe 4 or 5 carries

o Mason shows quick feet, but still wants to dance in the hole instead of just hitting the hole and bouncing it

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

o Daniels Steward Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Harkey Conrath Barnes B. Cunningham Givens (both Pead and Veltung were unavailable)

2nd Unit:

o Alexander Millard Wilson A. Hill Sabino Blake J. Cunningham Brodine Sam Gaines Mason

7 on 7 & 11 on 11

Highlights:

Britt & Quick back with the 1st unit!

Bradford is throwing the ball very well. Decisive, Accurate, and has plenty of zip on his throws.

Gilbert has maybe his best practice. Great touch pass over Joyner and in front of Davis on corner route to sideline.

Bradford to Britt beats Gaines for DEEP pass from Bradford. Makes adjustment to ball in the air, and uses his body to shield off the defender who had good coverage.

Armstrong had nice coverage on Bayer (wheel route to sideline)

Tru Johnson had a couple of nice pass break ups in coverage

Roberson had INT on overthrown ball by Gilbert

TJ Moe nice crossing route, catch and run vs. Reid

PASS RUSH PASS RUSH PASS RUSH

Lowlights:

Offense struggled with the pressure which was non-stop.

Dropped passes by Cook

Depth at CB beyond Joyner and Gaines is worrisome.

Still too many players missing to get a read on who fits where.

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

Zero carry over from the chippy practice from yesterday. This was very “workmanlike”.

Anticipated physical practice never really materialized.

Players who have risen up the Special Teams Depth Chart is a good indication of who is mostly likely ahead of the game in terms of sticking around:

Chase Reynolds: he is made his way back to being a core player on ALL of the ST. Didn’t start out that way

Phillip Steward: very present on both coverage teams

EJ Gaines: showing up on 3 of the 4 core ST

Mo Alexander: same as Gaines, on 3 of the 4 core teams

Aaron Hiil, Mason Brodine, Etienne Sabino all on 2nd unit ST

Players who are noticeably ABSENT form Special Teams:

Marcus Roberson: just doesn’t like to tackle

Greg Reid: 4th in line as KO Returner; 3rd in line as Punt Returner

Darren Woodard: not a good sign

CLOSED Special Team Practice tomorrow, and game prep of Thursday!
Thanks Coach O.
Great report as always. You really give us who can't attend a good sense if the ebb and flow of a camp.

jjab360

Legend
There have been rumors for a while that he is very immature and full of himself. The kid has the physical talent, so it has to be something mental or poor attitude that has held him back.
I really don't think it has anything to do with his maturity. We have a lot of immature players on the team right now that see PT because they're talented and produce when they get onto the field. Pead has just terrible vision and no physicality to his game, though, and together that's a terrible combination.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really don't think it has anything to do with his maturity. We have a lot of immature players on the team right now that see PT because they're talented and produce when they get onto the field. Pead has just terrible vision and no physicality to his game, though, and together that's a terrible combination.

I couldn't disagree with that statement more. His issues are ALL about a lack of maturity and selfishness.

Mamfm5

UDFA
image.jpg

A picture I snapped of Sam's gem over Joyner connecting with Tavon.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

If it got to the point where they needed a 5th DE, yes, Carrington appears to be that guy. They have run some 3 man fronts, and Carrington is lined up at the DE with Donald at DT. They did some of that today, with Hayes at the other DE spot.

lockdnram21

Legend
did Quick take part in 11 on 11 guy on twitter said he still looked dinged up. allmthey mentioned was one catch he made?

RamsesIII

UDFA
Sounds like a good practice, coach, and that the team is starting to jell. Thanks. I'm ready to see them play!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Whew! Bombshell!!!! Pead better practice & play in the 2nd scrimmage.I still can't see them cutting him..Great reporting Coach...All that's left is the scrimmage on Friday. Where does everybody hang out? Good news about Gilbert, many called it his best day....I do have a question, do you think it's "fair" for what is basically a new offensive line to face G Williams blitz packages on almost every down? For one, it's not really realistic and 2 don't you wanna see if guys can execute against the vanilla schemes? I'm sure Schotty is good with it...Have you seen this before in previous camps? just curious.....

Well, I know for a fact that Schottenheimer is good with it. They BOTH are working off the same script of plays, so Williams knows what the offense is running. These practices are so structured and organized, that they know exactly what will be worked on every single day. I mean in terms of what installation they are implementing. That is why IMO, you see the offense "winning" on some days, and the defense "winning" on days like today.

Obviously, they are evaluating how each unit performs and handles the stuff they are working on, on that particular day. But trust me, this offense will benefit greatly from practicing against this defense every day.

I even said something to Hammer today, that while we all expect this defense to be special, the offense has been able to make enough plays to make you wonder, if, just maybe we are seeing something come together that may surprise us all.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
did Quick take part in 11 on 11 guy on twitter said he still looked dinged up. allmthey mentioned was one catch he made?

He wore a "red hat" which is the equivalent to the red jersey the QBs wear, meaning he is "untouchable". He still was running the routes, and getting his reps in, but yes, he looked somewhat hindered by the lingering effect of the back issue.

lockdnram21

Legend
He wore a "red hat" which is the equivalent to the red jersey the QBs wear, meaning he is "untouchable". He still was running the routes, and getting his reps in, but yes, he looked somewhat hindered by the lingering effect of the back issue.
Thanks coach as always great report

Tweed335

UDFA
Awesome shot Mamfm5!!!

Thanks Coach O! Always enjoyed your takes over at the dreaded RT, actually about the only threads I would open. Anyway, can Friday get here any sooner?!

Rambition

Rookie
thank you for the report.

what, if anything, can be done about cook's continuing problems catching/keeping the football? i was thinking that his problems in that area last season might have been related to the distractions involved with coming into a new team and different system, different QB, etc. in other words, an anomaly. but now, i'm beginning to fear there's more to it. it's just very disconcerting.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I even said something to Hammer today, that while we all expect this defense to be special, the offense has been able to make enough plays to make you wonder, if, just maybe we are seeing something come together that may surprise us all.

We're winning the Super Bowl! :)

When it comes to the blitz and the mad scientist, is it mostly out of 4-3? Or is completely switching it around? Are Quinn and long switching ends? Lining up inside?

RFIP

My goodness. :palm: Don't even know where to begin.

Do you watch this guy play teams? He's VERY physical.

He needs to grow up and understand this is his job.

And the coaches need to give him some opportunities to tote the rock.

It appears to me however he's destined to be cut and if so, I'm betting he resurfaces elsewhere only to shine much brighter for a team where he gets a fresh start outside of the doghouse.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that they extended Sims before last year. I don't necessarily agree that it's Westbrooks or Sam. It may very well be neither.
It wouldn't surprise me to see them keep Conrath AND Carrington as the 4th and 5th DT, with Carrington having the ability to slide outside if needed. When you think about it, it they are only gonna keep 9 DL, that would be the BEST 9.

Here is Sims contract. Judging by the bonus money, I'd say he was extended after the 2012 season.

image.jpg

lockdnram21

Legend
thank you for the report.

what, if anything, can be done about cook's continuing problems catching/keeping the football? i was thinking that his problems in that area last season might have been related to the distractions involved with coming into a new team and different system, different QB, etc. in other words, an anomaly. but now, i'm beginning to fear there's more to it. it's just very disconcerting.
cook had same issues in Tennessee