Camp Report 8/11/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
So in real numbers, Quick was targeted a whopping 11 more times then Bailey. Kinda makes my point. I am not trying to take anything away from Bailey, but all the lengths people seem to want to go to put Quick down are getting tiresome. At least for me. I get it. He hasn't lived up to the expectations of the MEDIA and MOST of the fans. But that doesn't change what I see. Which is the most talented WR on the roster.
The fans are far less patient than the organization.

It was a very gutsy move to draft Quick. The roster was about to get a complete overhaul at the time. They could have gone a safer route and taken someone they believed could start immediately.
They didn't. They took quick, knowing he would need a few years to catch on. Quick obviously has incredibly strong intangibles, that can't be achieved through coaching.

This sounds like the year, we finally get to see what the organization saw in Quick when they drafted him.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
So in real numbers, Quick was targeted a whopping 11 more times then Bailey (in 165 more snaps). Kinda makes my point. I am not trying to take anything away from Bailey, but all the lengths people seem to want to go to put Quick down are getting tiresome. At least for me. I get it. He hasn't lived up to the expectations of the MEDIA and MOST of the fans. But that doesn't change what I see. Which is the most talented WR on the roster.

Coach O.....not related but a funny story....... when I was a freshman in High school I had 8 receptions and the game winning TD pass in our Varsity section championship game..... after the game I rode back home with my dad and Grandpa..... as I got into the car I was excited and happy..... my grandpa was all smiles too...... My dad looks at me and says.."What are you so happy about?" .... I said..." dad weren't you watching..... I just caught the game winning Td pass" we had won.... I was a freshman on varsity team...... surely he must see that.... lmao..... he just looked back at me and said......"if you had not dropped (my 1 drop all night) that one in the third quarter you wouldn't have needed to make that winning catch" lol

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Coach O.....not related but a funny story....... when I was a freshman in High school I had 8 receptions and the game winning TD pass in our Varsity section championship game..... after the game I rode back home with my dad and Grandpa..... as I got into the car I was excited and happy..... my grandpa was all smiles too...... My dad looks at me and says.."What are you so happy about?" .... I said..." dad weren't you watching..... I just caught the game winning Td pass" we had won.... I was a freshman on varsity team...... surely he must see that.... lmao..... he just looked back at me and said......"if you had not dropped (my 1 drop all night) that one in the third quarter you wouldn't have needed to make that winning catch" lol
Great story! Sounds like your Dad was a no nonsense kind of guy.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I can relate,,, sounds like a very astute man!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame

I jot down notes based on what i see when they start the 11 on 11 drills,, I noticed that Cook and Kendricks were getting the majority of the reps. Pardon me for was obviously an oversight. I am not a mind reader, and some of the expectations some seem to want me to be make me less inclined to do this stuff.

IF it were indeed a shift in philosophy, I would certainly have mentioned it. They work on different things on each and every day. At this point in camp, I am just not going to report on all the things that they are doing, unless its something completely out of the norm.

Honestly, I am almost thankful there are only 4 more open practices.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Not such a funny story. I hope you still have a good relationship with your dad. Most folks I know who had an overbearing parent are a little f'd up, harboring "I never lived up to expectations" resentment.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I jot down notes based on what i see when they start the 11 on 11 drills,, I noticed that Cook and Kendricks were getting the majority of the reps. Pardon me for was obviously an oversight. I am not a mind reader, and some of the expectations some seem to want me to be make me less inclined to do this stuff.

IF it were indeed a shift in philosophy, I would certainly have mentioned it. They work on different things on each and every day. At this point in camp, I am just not going to report on all the things that they are doing, unless its something completely out of the norm.

Honestly, I am almost thankful there are only 4 more open practices.

The 11v11s I saw, they were doing some 5 wide stuff with the RB shifting out of the backfield. Maybe Harkey wasn't there as much 'cuz he's more of a HB hybrid / wham blocker.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The 11v11s I saw, they were doing some 5 wide stuff with the RB shifting out of the backfield. Maybe Harkey wasn't there as much 'cuz he's more of a HB hybrid / wham blocker.

Again, stuff they do every day,, to some extent, and not worth a mention, IMO. I am never going to be the guy who charts every formation, or every play they run. Not the kind of report I want to write. I watch the trends as it pertains to an overall scheme, and try to keep track of any player movement up or down the depth chart. They are now in the 18th day of training camp. I would hope by now, that if something is omitted from my report, its because I think it may begin to be repetitive.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Brad Smelley is a last minute roster fill in to replace Brodine. He was barely getting 3rd team reps... So I apologize for not reading anything into that addition.

As far as the shift from single back to 2 back formations, they do that every single day, so again, didn't ' think it warrants a mention.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Quick had twice the amount of offensive snaps Bailey did though. On a per snap basis, Bailey was a much better receiver, even though he was a rookie. That might change this year, but last year Bailey beats Quick.

9CFBTzc.jpg

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts
Targets in here somewhere? I had heard that Steadmon was 17 for 18....But I don't know what Quick is...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
@CoachO - Just have to say, thank you, I'm across the pond in Wales, with limited access to live/on screen Rams action, your insights and reports are the only way I get to live the offseason, if you're ever in Wales, come say hello, my micro-brewery is constantly working and my cellar full ;)

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
+1.

Quick had 18 catches on 36 targets, 50%
Bailey had 17 catches on 25 targets. 68%, exceptional for a rookie with a weak-armed inaccurate QB in Clemons.

Bailey's 9.04 yards/target led the Rams, with Quick 2nd at 8.4.

Chris Givens was atrocious at 34 catches on 83 targets. 41%. Worst on the team by far, only player under 50%. 6.8 yards/target.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

This Mr. Junkman is why I dig this place. Nicely done.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Again, stuff they do every day,, to some extent, and not worth a mention, IMO. I am never going to be the guy who charts every formation, or every play they run. Not the kind of report I want to write. I watch the trends as it pertains to an overall scheme, and try to keep track of any player movement up or down the depth chart. They are now in the 18th day of training camp. I would hope by now, that if something is omitted from my report, its because I think it may begin to be repetitive.

Hey CoachO,
You do what you do sir. There are no 'attackers' here like you had to defend yourself against at RamsTalk. As everyone here has stated, you are much appreciated.

NOW HIT SOMEBODY!