Camp Report 8/11/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I care a lot about Austin dropping passes considering how many he dropped last year, if he still hasn't sorted that out then we're in trouble.

Contrary to what some might want to believe, these guys aren't robots, even on the practice field. They make mistakes on occasion, and dropping passes happen all the time. I think people tend to read WAY TO MUCH into these sort of things.

Contrary to what some might want to believe, these guys aren't robots, even on the practice field. They make mistakes on occasion, and dropping passes happen all the time. I think people tend to read WAY TO MUCH into these sort of things.

Sure, but if it's worth reporting then it is surely noteworthy? A player who struggled with drops, dropping passes is a concern, obviously you didn't report that, But if you did I'd be concerned.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the report Coach0. Lots of tweets talking about drills with bags, stressing lanes (staying in gaps) and getting off blocks. Did you notice anything special/different? I read about Williams spending extra time with the various units, was this different? Who is this Wilson dude at LB, I can't remember him from the game? Last Q....any extra emphasis on tackling?

First of all, Lawrence Wilson is one of the last guys they signed just before training camp. He wears #49, and has slowly moved himself up the depth chart, and if you go back and watch the game you will see him on the field. Again, a long shot to make the roster, might be a PS candidate among the many others at LB. Reading too much into the depth chart rotations, is tenuous, especially when you have guys missing practice ahead of them.

IT was difficult for me to see what drills they were doing on the second field. I was all the way across fro where they were doing these unit drills, because the main practice was on the "middle" field, and I set up shop in the Season Ticket tent over there. It's a big facility, and sometimes you pick your poison as to what you want to see. The guys who stayed on the hill, were prime to see the unit drills at the beginning of practice. I wasn't.

As to the emphasis on tackling, they were in shirts and shorts. So NO!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Sure, but if it's worth reporting then it is surely noteworthy? A player who struggled with drops, dropping passes is a concern, obviously you didn't report that, But if you did I'd be concerned.

In the grand scheme of things, when they get in the neighborhood of 15 -18 passes thrown to them EVERY practice, I just don't see dropping A pass as noteworthy. I am not gonna take the time to chart every pass and who drops how many. Bigger fish to fry, and not something I care about "reporting". If you didn't get the tone of my "report" about Quick, then I don't know what to tell you.

Ram4life11

Rookie
@CoachO do you believe the coaches try to keep some of the players injuries hidden? Because I heard from a player of the team that Lauranitis and Pead might not play the entire preseason due to there injuries.. Why would the coaching staff not tell the severity of the injuries? It's being said Pead in particular broke his hand and had to have surgery, and that he may miss up to 4-6 weeks, but the same player also said the coaches have said Pead will still make the team...

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
not sure why you are asking, did you hear something I missed, or are you referring to his omission from the 1st offense in my report?

I cannot list, nor will I try to list all of the players rotating in with the different units. Harkey took his regular reps with the 1st team, but the majority of TODAY'S work went to the group listed.

I'm not sure what @flv was asking about Harkey. He looked fine to me. He has his favorite trick which I saw at least once yesterday... chip a rushing DL (or not, maybe just spy for a sec to make sure they aren't bringing a 0 blitz), catch a short pass in the flat and turn upfield.

lockdnram21

Legend
I know I would NOT care because both Austin and Bailey have done things on the field, in real LIVE GAMES that Quick has not.

So Quick didn't make a 70 yard catch last year or get 2 touchdowns while Bailey didn't sniff the in zone in the passing game? Last season Quick did just as much as Bailey if not more.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
@CoachO do you believe the coaches try to keep some of the players injuries hidden? Because I heard from a player of the team that Lauranitis and Pead might not play the entire preseason due to there injuries.. Why would the coaching staff not tell the severity of the injuries? It's being said Pead in particular broke his hand and had to have surgery, and that he may miss up to 4-6 weeks, but the same player also said the coaches have said Pead will still make the team...

There are absolutely instances where they do not reveal the nature of the injuries. They have nothing to gain from it. In Pead's case, he has what appears to be a pin in his hand with the ring and pinky finger of his right hand in a rather bulky cast. So the 4-6 week time frame does seem consistent with that.

As to Laurinaits, he is out of the walking boot, but doesn't appear to be close to a return to practice. So who knows? As durable as he has been throughout his career, for him to have missed even this much time, tells me, again, your info is consistent with what I see. Being in a walking boot for more than a few days, tells me it was a fairly significant ankle sprain.

bskrilla

Starter
So Quick didn't make a 70 yard catch last year or get 2 touchdowns while Bailey didn't sniff the in zone in the passing game? Last season Quick did just as much as Bailey if not more.

Yup. If we're just talking about offense there is simply no arguing the fact.

2013 Receiving Stats:
Quick - 18-302 2 TD's
Bailey - 17-226 0 TD's (He had 33 yards rushing for 1 TD)

RFIP

that's not being too cynical. LOL I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised. and then we shall see what you have to say.

Trust me my friend, I have followed this team since the late 60's and I will be the FIRST guy here to admit I was wrong on Quick IF it turns out that way.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Discovered this wonderful GEM about 2 weeks ago and/or around the start of camp. Boy have I been loving the content on this forum. So much information. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences at camp and such.
Welcome AJ.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Yup. If we're just talking about offense there is simply no arguing the fact.

2013 Receiving Stats:
Quick - 18-302 2 TD's
Bailey - 17-226 0 TD's (He had 33 yards rushing for 1 TD)

Quick had twice the amount of offensive snaps Bailey did though. On a per snap basis, Bailey was a much better receiver, even though he was a rookie. That might change this year, but last year Bailey beats Quick.

9CFBTzc.jpg

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I also have followed this team for a long time early 70s...and I believe you all have a right to be hesitant as far as our receivers go..... but I trust what coach0 sees and reports.... as I do whenever you all have been to camp and have reported seeing certain things.... there are a lot of people who have seen really good things in camp from both Quick and Bailey as well as from Britt and Austin....the potential is there...... wouldn't it be great if ten weeks into our season.....this entire unit has a breakout season....and we are still arguing which is the best Wr......lol go Rams..... ;)

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Quick had twice the amount of offensive snaps Bailey did though. On a per snap basis, Bailey was a much better receiver, even though he was a rookie. That might change this year, but last year Bailey beats Quick.

9CFBTzc.jpg

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

Snaps are irrelevant when it comes to receptions. Talk to me about targets. He was on the field, and not targeted for whatever reason. Down and distance? Percentage of snaps that they ran the ball vs. threw it? The backup QB never even looked at him on routes he knew he couldn't complete?

You see there are just way too many variables to say that just because he has more snaps, he was more ineffective in the role he was asked to play.

Now if you want to tell me he had more passes thrown to him, and he put up similar numbers, then I would be more likely to buy into this point of view. But i suspect that isn't what happened.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Snaps are irrelevant when it comes to receptions.

+1.

Quick had 18 catches on 36 targets, 50%
Bailey had 17 catches on 25 targets. 68%, exceptional for a rookie with a weak-armed inaccurate QB in Clemons.

Bailey's 9.04 yards/target led the Rams, with Quick 2nd at 8.4.

Chris Givens was atrocious at 34 catches on 83 targets. 41%. Worst on the team by far, only player under 50%. 6.8 yards/target.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Thanks again for the reports, love the detail and the occasional well-timed humorous commentary mixed in!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Another great report followed by Q&A. Thank you Coach.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
+1.

Quick had 18 catches on 36 targets, 50%
Bailey had 17 catches on 25 targets. 68%, exceptional for a rookie with a weak-armed inaccurate QB in Clemons.

Bailey's 9.04 yards/target led the Rams, with Quick 2nd at 8.4.

Chris Givens was atrocious at 34 catches on 83 targets. 41%. Worst on the team by far, only player under 50%. 6.8 yards/target.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/stl/st-louis-rams

So in real numbers, Quick was targeted a whopping 11 more times then Bailey (in 165 more snaps). Kinda makes my point. I am not trying to take anything away from Bailey, but all the lengths people seem to want to go to put Quick down are getting tiresome. At least for me. I get it. He hasn't lived up to the expectations of the MEDIA and MOST of the fans. But that doesn't change what I see. Which is the most talented WR on the roster.