Camp Report 8/11/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/11/14

Did Not Practice: Saffold, Brockers, Laurinaitis, Jenkins, Woodard, Daniels, K.Jones, Washington

Returned to Practice: T. Johnson, McGee, Hayes, Langford, Pead (Special Teams and Unit drill only)

Left Practice early: EJ Gaines (leg injury)

Roster Addition: #47 TE Brad Smelley (replaces Mason Brodine)
Height: 6-2 Weight: 235 Age: 25
Born: 4/20/1989 Tuscaloosa , AL
College: Alabama
Experience: 1st season

Started practice working on Punt Team drills.
Including punt block using volleyballs in place of footballs.

Pead and McGee were primary gunners on Punt coverage unit.

11 on 11 Drills:

1st Offense:

Long Robinson Wells Joseph Barksdale--- Quick Austin Cook Kendricks Stacy Bradford
  • First time that they have changed up the tandem of WRs...
  • Quick & Austin; Britt & Bailey; Givens & Pettis
  • McDonald with a nice pass break up on a deep post to Austin.
  • Bradford to Quick hook up on a 22 yard dig route. Was one of those WOW! plays. Bradford's arm strength on display.
2nd Offense:

Person Van Dyk Barnes Bond Hooey --- Britt Bailey Bayer J. Cunnigham Stacy Hill
  • Hill to Britt on a deep corner route
  • Bayer made his presence felt again,, a couple of nice receptions
Overall, not much different from previous weeks practices....

Defense worked primarily on zone coverage, and did a much better job getting their hands on passes.
  • Dunbar with a nice pass break up
  • Millard had a pass break up that almost lead to an interception
Observations:

With Laurinaitis still sidelined, Dunbar was back at MLB with Armstrong at WLB

1st unit Defense:

• Long Langford Donald Quinn--- Ogletree Dunbar Armsrtong --- Johnson McGee McLeod McDonald
  • Joyner in at Nickel (Armstrong off)
  • Joyner also took some reps in place of McDonald, depending on offensive personnel
2nd Defense:
  • Hayes Carrington Conrath Sims --- Steward Bates L Wilson --- Gaines Roberson Davis Alexander
  • Joyner still at Nickel
3rd Defense:
  • Sam Westbrooks Harlan K. Brown---Sabino Schiller Millard---Reid J. Bryant A. Cunningham C. Bryant
  • Michael Sam took reps at RDE in a rotation, with Sammy Brown coming in at LDE.
  • Christian Bryant starting to look more comfortable.
  • Reid gave up back to back completions, first to Givens, then to Bayer on sideline wheel routes. Just stopped in coverage, before safety could get over there. After second play, was "coached up" on how to play the coverage.
NEWSFLASH of the practice: BRIAN QUICK DROPS A PASS. I guess the magic is gone!

FOLLOW UP Story: on the very next play, BRADFORD COMES RIGHT BACK TO QUICK.
  • That certainly didn't happen in previous years. So maybe the previous report of his demise may be premature!
One other note: Team ran "gassers" at the end of practice. Any player that committed a penalty on Friday night had the pleasure of it being called out, and his entire positional unit got to run an extra "gasser". Which is a sprint from sideline to sideline and back.

Last edited:

RFIP

Sadly this stuff won't go away until he goes practices without dropping passes, then actually makes plays IN GAMES.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadly this stuff won't go away until he goes practices without dropping passes, then actually makes plays IN GAMES.
I pointed it out, because it is the first practice he had a DROP in the 11 on 11 drills.... in at least 2 weeks.

And here's another news flash,, he isn't the ONLY GUY dropping a pass, The others just aren't as much of a hot button. If I "reported" that Austin AND BAILEY both dropped passes today, think anyone would care?

Alan

Legend
Thanks CoachO! Good to hear that Joyner is getting at least a little work in at safety. Just in case.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks CoachO! Good to hear that Joyner is getting at least a little work in at safety. Just in case.

It's actually kind of weird,,< I noticed this happened on a few occasions in the game Friday night. He's still lining up as if he is the Nickel back, but they take McDonald off the field. He isn't lining up in a traditional Safety Position, but more of a slot coverage position, with McLeod in a single high position.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'm worried about Brockers after the Saints carved us up a little- anymore word on his ankle?

Thanks CoachO!

Alan

Legend
CoachO with ground breaking news:
It's actually kind of weird,,< I noticed this happened on a few occasions in the game Friday night. He's still lining up as if he is the Nickel back, but they take McDonald off the field. He isn't lining up in a traditional Safety Position, but more of a slot coverage position, with McLeod in a single high position.
Is there a name for that formation or did Fisher just invent it?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I pointed it out, because it is the first practice he had a DROP in the 11 on 11 drills.... in at least 2 weeks.

And here's another news flash,, he isn't the ONLY GUY dropping a pass, The others just aren't as much of a hot button. If I "reported" that Austin AND BAILEY both dropped passes today, think anyone would care?

Good point, you are right.

Word was this practice was "sluggish." Is that what u witnessed?

Thanks, CoachO, much appreciated..

Alan

Legend
CoachO ripping my heart out:
If I "reported" that Austin AND BAILEY both dropped passes today, think anyone would care?
upload_2014-8-11_21-5-55.jpeg
upload_2014-8-11_21-6-17.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-11_21-5-40.jpeg
    upload_2014-8-11_21-5-40.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 141

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Good point, you are right.

Word was this practice was "sluggish." Is that what u witnessed?

Thanks, CoachO, much appreciated..

Probably a good word. There were center/QB exchange issues with Bradford and Wells, on back to back plays. Continued False Starts, by 3rd offensive line.
Defensive substitution issues on a few occasions.

So yeah, not the best practice of the summer.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How bad did the Gaines injury look?
It seemed to be a slight knee issue. He may have twisted it,, was walking very gingerly, but eventually was able to put some weight on it. Happened about 3/4 of the way thru practice, so he didn't miss much. other than the "gassers" at the end, as a friendly reminder of the 14 penalties from Friday night.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Did you get a look at who was on the #1 unit for punt / punt return / punt block?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Is there a name for that formation or did Fisher just invent it?

I would guess it would be one of Williams creative ideas. And thus far, I haven't heard him yell out the personnel grouping, which is something he does on virtually every play.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Is Barrett Jones still injured? It might not be a relevant question seeing how he's not a starter, but there was a lot of hype for him going into training camp. But as off late he has been off the field.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I would guess it would be one of Williams creative ideas. And thus far, I haven't heard him yell out the personnel grouping, which is something he does on virtually every play.

Sounds like a 46 defense variation to me. But I didn't see it so I wouldn't know exactly where some of the guys were lined up.

Alan

Legend
shovelpass worried about Jones:
Is Barrett Jones still injured?
Yes he is and he might be out for some time.

Have I welcomed you yet Shovel? You need to ask more questions so I can remember you better. :LOL: If I have welcomed you then welcome again! If I haven't then why don't you stop by the Re: Introduce Yourself thread and I'll welcome you there. :)

reggae

Pretty silly. Everyone drops passes. It happens. I still see Isaac Bruce every time it happens.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
Hate to hear Daniels is not practicing. I think he has a ton of talent and upside. Freak injuries keep him off the field. I believe if he could stay healthy, he would really contribute.