Browns to interview Mike Martz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Even though my reply was short it took me a long time to write it. PT is way to fast for me as usual. :LOL:
YUP happens to me ALL THE TIME ANCIENT LOGIC takes time, these youngn's better hope they discover that.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 noting that a technician is only as good as his tools:
Yeah - gotta chisel all that BS on yer stone tablets.
The latest cutting edge chisels.
Chisels:
I strongly prefer Italian carving chisels to just about anything else I have seen. These chisels have longer teeth than others I've seen, and seem to bite into the stone better. They also have thicker shafts, making them heavier, but easier to hold securely when needed.
My preferences are as follows:

• Large 4 tooth chisel (SSC: 302, TCS: 37424). Excellent for large scale material removal in alabaster and soapstone. Good in softer marbles too. 3 tooth (SSC: 203, TCS: 37427) and 5 tooth (SSC: 304, TCS: 37425) are useful too, but for me, less often than 4 tooth.
  • Narrow flat chisel (SSC: 320, TCS 37403). Wonderful for detail work. Absolutely a critical chisel to have.
  • A basic simple point (SSC: 311, TCS: 37400) is good to have. Something heavier will be needed in hard marble, but these are good for most soft stones.
  • A flat chisel can be useful in places too. I like 1/2" or so (SSC: 321, TCS: 37406).
Those are my "daily use" chisels. There are a few others that are for less common work. Specifically:
  • Pitching tool (SSC 327). For removing huge amounts of stone.
  • Narrow tooth chisel (SSC: 305, TCS: 37432, I think). Useful for controlled removal in alabaster and soapstone.
  • Frosting tool (SSC 450 or 460, TCS 37610 or 37611). Puts textured surface onto a carving.
  • Carbide chisels of various types. Great for harder stones, but brittle. These are very expensive. SSC and TCS both carry various types. San Francisco bay area supplier Renaissance Stonecarries various carbide chisels too, though not Italian ones.
  • Cathedral chisels. 4-5 inches longer than standard chisels, these can get into nooks and crannies that would otherwise be hard to reach. I've only seen these at Renaissance Stone.
All the chisels in this second group should probably be bought on an as-needed basis. Their use is less common than the others I have mentioned. Again, I feel the need to point out that others may well disagree with me, though. There are certainly sculptors who live with narrow tooth chisels, for example, and wouldn't want the larger teeth I like. As with all advice, your mileage may (and will) vary.

As you can see, I use nothing but the best for my BS. :LOL:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Martz was 56-36 with 4 playoffs and a SB appearance. In 5 1/2 years. Not counting OC in 99. I can't believe there is a Rams fan who lived thru the last 20 years who can discount that. To me he's an obvious interview for OC. At least, if you're trying to win. As Blue and Gold has done an excellent job of pointing out, rumors of him losing his touch after the Rams are greatly exaggerated. His winning percentage and QB performances using what (aside from Cutler) most other teams considered scrub QBs would seem to be appealing to a team with 3 open spots at QB and no obvious options to fix that beyond Bradford and his knee.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Martz was 56-36 with 4 playoffs and a SB appearance. In 5 1/2 years. Not counting OC in 99. I can't believe there is a Rams fan who lived thru the last 20 years who can discount that. To me he's an obvious interview for OC. At least, if you're trying to win. As Blue and Gold has done an excellent job of pointing out, rumors of him losing his touch after the Rams are greatly exaggerated. His winning percentage and QB performances using what (aside from Cutler) most other teams considered scrub QBs would seem to be appealing to a team with 3 open spots at QB and no obvious options to fix that beyond Bradford and his knee.

If he isn't bringing his time machine to get Warner and Faulk he won't accomplish much.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
He was FWIW hired to save the HC's job after they were on the hot seat,even in Vermeil's case, the exception there was the talent, even Martz can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit but I DO BELIEVE he can get more out of lesser talent than anyone I've seen.

The biggest fly in the ointment is both Fish and Kroenke have reason to not want him back here.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
If he isn't bringing his time machine to get Warner and Faulk he won't accomplish much.
That's just an impression that doesn't take into account that he had an NFC championship game in OT with Bulger,right now from where we are that looks pretty damned good

reggae

I guess he's a simpleton who can show this. But I didn't see anything that meets your own standard of "proof". You just gave opinion without any proof that he's a simpleton, or lucky, or never did anything noteworthy without the 1999 Vermeil team.

But it's good to know that you hold your own opinions higher than Vermeil. Well done.

Bulger
28-13 .683 with Martz
13-41 .228 with everyone else

Warner
34-15 .694 with Martz
32-34 .471 with everyone else

Cuntler
17-8 .680 with Mike Martz
44-50 .468 with everyone else

And the winning percentage under Martz for these QBs (Warner, Bulger, Green, Hill, Kitna, Cutler) is 60%. The same QBs have a winning percentage of 44% under everyone else.

Nice cherry picking. Let's see with Warner Martz had Faulk. As well as an all star receiving corps. With Bulget Martz had Faulk and Jackson receivers and OL. Cutler had Forte and again a very good offensive line and defense. Outside of the championship team he inherited tho.not once did he coach a top 10 offense. And no playoff appearances. I'm guessing people love it when you are on their side of the argument. Btw, Martz was NEVER Head Coach of a Super Bowl winning team genius!

Well, 30 years of experience in complex systems is simply not good enough, nor is being the Head Coach of a winning Super Bowl team. How dare you think your opinion has merit?

reggae

Ac
Nice cherry picking. Let's see with Warner Martz had Faulk. As well as an all star receiving corps. With Bulget Martz had Faulk and Jackson receivers and OL. Cutler had Forte and again a very good offensive line and defense. Outside of the championship team he inherited tho.not once did he coach a top 10 offense. And no playoff appearances. I'm guessing people love it when you are on their side of the argument. Btw, Martz was NEVER Head Coach of a Super Bowl winning team genius!
tually he was on a Bears playoff team. Got caught up in the moment. But, wouldn't you like to hear Cutler's take. Fact is. Martz kills QB's

Memphis Ram

Legend

Sorry, but that Bears team DID NOT have a very good offensive line. Hardly.

On top of that, his top 3 WRs were Earl Bennett, Johnny Knox, and Devin Hester.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Rams should try to bring Martz in a QB coach and have him assist in evaluating these QBs (draft and free agency).

As offensive coordinator? Not when you want to run the ball.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Must have been someone else who went 12-4 and scored around 440 points with Marc Bulger. Probably one of the other crack OCs we had.

reggae

Maybe you could try it and find out
The facts are undeniable. Climate change is real. The Industrial revolution played a great part. And other than the GSOT Martz had a substandard career. I suppose you don't believe Roundup is killing the bees either.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
The facts are undeniable. Climate change is real. The Industrial revolution played a great part. And other than the GSOT Martz had a substandard career. I suppose you don't believe Roundup is killing the bees either.
The facts that matters most to me are, you've been told to drop the AGW because it's divisive, the personal attacks as well and pick ignore facts about Martz that don't serve your opinions AND seem to be baiting into as many controversial topics as you can in order to insult other posters

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest fly in the ointment is both Fish and Kroenke have reason to not want him back here.

I'm curious... what are those reasons?

Kroenke knows him from being part owner of the Rams for those years.... but not sure what reason he would have to not want him back.

And I can't imagine Fisher knows Martz much at all... so how could he have a reason?

I'm not on board with bringing Martz in, but your comment is intriguing.

paceram

Pro Bowler

Right now he is my second hope behind Chudzinski!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know how any team can expect Martz to just turn around their offense without letting him bring in some personnel.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I'm curious... what are those reasons?

Kroenke knows him from being part owner of the Rams for those years.... but not sure what reason he would have to not want him back.

And I can't imagine Fisher knows Martz much at all... so how could he have a reason?

I'm not on board with bringing Martz in, but your comment is intriguing.
Kroenke was part of the owner group that fired Martz and reversing that in a way is an afront to Shaw in particular, who Krooenke remains close to, Fisher ,for him it'd be an ego thing , sort of a if you can't beat em join em thing, JMO any pre existing animosity or reason for any comes into play