Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if it had worked? There were all kinds of plays being dialed up on that final drive inside the 10. You can't blame the coordinator when one quick pass was dropped by Givens, a run failed to punch it in, and then Quick didn't even try to locate or fight for the last pass (which was perfectly thrown). Sorry, but this one doesn't pass the litmus test for me.

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-phot...al-drive/83cb5fe9-f356-4d9a-bdad-ac278243db31
Those plays I'm talking About his playcalling at the 1 and that fDe pass was not thrown perfectly it was off balance and hasty. Everyone questions that play and rightfully so. It was that play and a accumulation of other plays that left people scratching their heads.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
IMO because Davis isn't capable of handling it, and while the L still counts as an L, you go from getting blown out to getting Blown the freak Out, while at the same time destroying the confidence of the last active QB on your roster (I don't think Keenum was active Sunday?).
I'm not saying make Davis sling it around. I'm saying get creative with Tavon and some reverses and some fake punts or field goals. just keep them guessing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those plays I'm talking About his playcalling at the 1 and that fDe pass was not thrown perfectly it was off balance and hasty. Everyone questions that play and rightfully so. It was that play and a accumulation of other plays that left people scratching their heads.
K. I guess something else would have worked against that scrub defense of Seattle's. We'll never know though, so like I said. Genius if it works, dumbass if it doesn't. That week Schotty was a dumbass. Does he at least get any credit for getting them into position to win the game with Clemens?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'm not saying make Davis sling it around. I'm saying get creative with Tavon and some reverses and some fake punts or field goals. just keep them guessing.
I'm pretty sure that for fakes on special teams, that's Fisher's call, not Schottenheimer. I would like to see a reverse per game, but that's not a "staple" kind of play that you can use multiple times, really.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Tavon Austin has failed to hit 50 yds rec in 13/14 career games now. He struggled w/ drops early as rookie, but I still see this as an indictment of Schottenheimer. Austin was the most dynamic playmaker in the draft; I don't understand how he can't find a way to get him the ball & allow him to make plays. At this point Tavon is looking like a draft blunder; at no fault of his own.
at no fault of his own? So your point of him struggling with dropped passes for much of his rookie year is "no fault of his own"? And him muffing two punts on Sunday are "no fault of his own"?

I read all these posts of how he needs to be "more creative", and the description of examples always include some sort of trick play or gimmick to get Austin the ball. I feel like this is just so "Maddenesque", that people really don't have much of an idea how these sort of things have to be incorporated into an actual gameplan.

I know for a fact they have them in the playbook, and they have them in the game plan. But they have to have the opportunity to actually be able to use them. You don't call a double reverse deep in your own territory, or when the down and distance doesn't warrant it. The game situation will always dictate what you can and cannot call, within reason. We all like to think that every trick play is going to work, because it has the element of surprise. But as a play caller, you really need to assume it won't work and weigh the consequences of what happens if it doesn't.

If "being creative" is the only way to get Austin the ball, then what does that say about him as a player? At some point, he needs to make himself a part of the offense and find a way to contribute within the confines of the offense. For now, I would just like to see him catch a punt, and run up field with it. Then maybe we can start "getting creative" in finding reasons to get him the ball on offense.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

That's easy to say. The players have to execute, all involved. One of the biggest examples was the screen to Zac Stacy.

Perfect play, blockers were ready to go, had huge yardage written all over it. Then Zac dropped the ball.

Blame Schotty? No. Since Mike Martz left, the following guys have called plays:

Scott Linehan
Greg Olsen
Scott Linehan
Al Saunders
Pat Shurmer
Josh McDaniels
Brian Schottenheimer

For almost a decade now, fans have been blaming the play caller and getting their wish. It hasn't changed at all.

The GSOT players, even as their physical skills slowly faded, used their understanding of the game and executed so the offense remained in sync.

These youngs guys have talent, sure. And IMO are improving. But, they have to execute.

Blaming the OC is downright lazy, IMO. At any level in football.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
K. I guess something else would have worked against that scrub defense of Seattle's. We'll never know though, so like I said. Genius if it works, dumbass if it doesn't. That week Schotty was a dumbass. Does he at least get any credit for getting them into position to win the game with Clemens?
Not saying that it would have work but at the 1 yard line give your team a better chance to with a better play call, if they don't execute we are talking about execution and not the playcalling. I never called Seattles defense a scrub, don't know where you got that from. I give Schotty a lot of credit when it is deserved but he also deserves all the criticism he gets as we'llwe'll

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's easy to say. The players have to execute, all involved. One of the biggest examples was the screen to Zac Stacy.

Perfect play, blockers were ready to go, had huge yardage written all over it. Then Zac dropped the ball.

Scott Linehan
Greg Olsen
Scott Linehan
Al Saunders
Pat Shurmer
Josh McDaniels
Brian Schottenheimer

For almost a decade now, fans have been blaming the play caller and getting their wish. It hasn't changed at all.

The GSOT players, even as their physical skills slowly faded, used their understanding of the game and executed so the offense remained in sync.

These youngs guys have talent, sure. And IMO are improving. But, they have to execute.

I'm not so much as blaming schotty because execution is key. But his creativity and his ability to maximize a players strength is not good. How much have we heard about Williams using guys skills that showcases them in a positive light. Mc Donald is a prime example of that him coming in on blitzes playing in the box he played a real good game because our defensive coordinator knows how to maximize players strength at the end of the day that's all we are asking our OC to do

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not saying that it would have work but at the 1 yard line give your team a better chance to with a better play call, if they don't execute we are talking about execution and not the playcalling. I never called Seattles defense a scrub, don't know where you got that from. I give Schotty a lot of credit when it is deserved but he also deserves all the criticism he gets as we'llwe'll
I didn't say you called Seattle's defense a scrub. I was only making a point that they might be due a little credit for that final stand. But I get your point. You think a run up the gut against them would have been the better call. I guess that's where we don't agree. That team is built to shut down goal-line offenses, and I think spreading them out the way they did to reduce the pressure (which it didn't) and get your 6'3" receiver in a corner-fade situation was the right call. So I guess it's just a matter of preference and not necessarily what Schotty did wrong. You know, since there is no wrong.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say you called Seattle's defense a scrub. I was only making a point that they might be due a little credit for that final stand. But I get your point. You think a run up the gut against them would have been the better call. I guess that's where we don't agree. That team is built to shut down goal-line offenses, and I think spreading them out the way they did to reduce the pressure (which it didn't) and get your 6'3" receiver in a corner-fade situation was the right call. So I guess it's just a matter of preference and not necessarily what Schotty did wrong. You know, since there is no wrong.
True.. In that game we had almost 200 yards rushing our Oline was dominating them the entire game. They said Stacy was a little dinged up but he is still a threat if they look like they are running you can spread them out but way spread out your hurt Rb on the 1 when he is no threat use that threat to pull in the defenders on a play action then pass. If the pass is incomplete or the receiver drop the ball, my point is going 5 wide out when you got to that point by running why go empty to leave no threat of the run

V3

Hall of Fame
Honestly, blaming the O-coordinator just seems stale and unoriginal to me. Can't you guys think of any other scapegoats to blame? Execution on pretty much all levels was pretty terrible, hard to put all that blame on just one guy.
Well, I've seen people call out the players and they get told Schotty isn't doing his job. Call out Schotty and it suddenly becomes the players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
True.. In that game we had almost 200 yards rushing our Oline was dominating them the entire game. They said Stacy was a little dinged up but he is still a threat if they look like they are running you can spread them out but way spread out your hurt Rb on the 1 when he is no threat use that threat to pull in the defenders on a play action then pass. If the pass is incomplete or the receiver drop the ball, my point is going 5 wide out when you got to that point by running why go empty to leave no threat of the run

I'm still wondering why Cunningham didn't get the call. Was he inactive that game? Otherwise, if Stacy is dinged up, put in Cunningham and run him up the middle like you have been doing with Stacy all game. As you said, he had almost 200 yards rushing and our OL was dominating. Given those circumstances and Stacy being dinged, it would have been pretty hard to second guess the playcall if you run Benny on the same type of play you would use if Zac was in and healthy. If they don't get in then, well it's probably due to execution, but I would have found it hard to fault such a playcall with Cunningham in those circumstance (still assuming he was dressed and available, which I can't remember).

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Honestly, blaming the O-coordinator just seems stale and unoriginal to me. Can't you guys think of any other scapegoats to blame? Execution on pretty much all levels was pretty terrible, hard to put all that blame on just one guy.

Hmm.. Was blaming Walton a stale excuse before or after he was fired?

wrstdude

Rookie
at no fault of his own? So your point of him struggling with dropped passes for much of his rookie year is "no fault of his own"?
Was it much of his rookie year or the first few games? You need to double check that. I said early-not much of the season, because that isn't true.

And him muffing two punts on Sunday are "no fault of his own"?
I never mentioned muffed punts as they're not relevant to my overall point-his usage w/in the offense.

I read all these posts of how he needs to be "more creative", and the description of examples always include some sort of trick play or gimmick to get Austin the ball. I feel like this is just so "Maddenesque", that people really don't have much of an idea how these sort of things have to be incorporated into an actual gameplan.
I don't play Madden, so your feeling is off. I am, however, a current football coach at the high school level for 12 years, so I do, in fact, have bit of an idea how these things are incorporated into actual game plans.

I know for a fact they have them in the playbook, and they have them in the game plan. But they have to have the opportunity to actually be able to use them. You don't call a double reverse deep in your own territory, or when the down and distance doesn't warrant it. The game situation will always dictate what you can and cannot call, within reason. We all like to think that every trick play is going to work, because it has the element of surprise. But as a play caller, you really need to assume it won't work and weigh the consequences of what happens if it doesn't.
I don't think I said anything to the contrary. I agree w/ all of this.

If "being creative" is the only way to get Austin the ball, then what does that say about him as a player?
I never said anything about "creativity." I said, "get him the ball and let him make plays." Brandin Cooks, a similar player for the Saints, had 8 targets & a rush. He had 7 catches for 77 yds & a TD in his first game as rookie. I watched them both in college and Tavon is every bit as capable as Cooks to have stat lines equal to that on a weekly basis.

At some point, he needs to make himself a part of the offense and find a way to contribute within the confines of the offense.
Fitting a square peg into a round hole...not exactly an effective strategy.

For now, I would just like to see him catch a punt, and run up field with it. Then maybe we can start "getting creative" in finding reasons to get him the ball on offense.

You're way too concerned w/ "getting creative" & punt returns...things I never mentioned.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.

Scott Linehan
Greg Olsen
Scott Linehan
Al Saunders
Pat Shurmer
Josh McDaniels
Brian Schottenheimer

I wasn't going around blaming the others in the past I blame this one with more talent around him. and it's not only rams fans that notice his play calling. I remember a furious Jackson not given a chance to pound the ball on the goal line and instead kept tossing it up over and over

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I am not a huge fan of Schotty personally. He does have his moments though that highly impress me. My discourse mainly is due to the times he just calls some bad plays(rush the entire way down the field then calls for a passing play with no rb in the backfield at goaline) and his inability to effectively use Austin.

But regardless of any of that, if the players can't execute worth a darn, it doesnt matter who is calling the plays or what plays are called. The players need to step up. Schottys system is not a bad system, the players are just failing to execute the plays properly so far.

Based off all of that I have to wonder two things:

1. Does he base his playbook and playcalls off of our personel? Does he tailor the offense to the players abilities or does he try to make the players fit into his system?

2. Why are the players not executing the plays well enough so far and just not playing good? Those penalties are killing us.

Maybe it was rust and youth that hindered out offense in week one. I am expecting a big turn a round this week.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, I've seen people call out the players and they get told Schotty isn't doing his job. Call out Schotty and it suddenly becomes the players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You've seen instances of that I'm sure, but that's far from a universal thought process among an entire fan base or forum. You'd have to tell me how many people play both of those cards at the same time in order for me to think that statement has any validity whatsoever.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Was it much of his rookie year or the first few games? You need to double check that. I said early-not much of the season, because that isn't true.

I never mentioned muffed punts as they're not relevant to my overall point-his usage w/in the offense.

I don't play Madden, so your feeling is off. I am, however, a current football coach at the high school level for 12 years, so I do, in fact, have bit of an idea how these things are incorporated into actual game plans.

I don't think I said anything to the contrary. I agree w/ all of this.

I never said anything about "creativity." I said, "get him the ball and let him make plays." Brandin Cooks, a similar player for the Saints, had 8 targets & a rush. He had 7 catches for 77 yds & a TD in his first game as rookie. I watched them both in college and Tavon is every bit as capable as Cooks to have stat lines equal to that on a weekly basis.

Fitting a square peg into a round hole...not exactly an effective strategy.

You're way too concerned w/ "getting creative" & punt returns...things I never mentioned.

I apologize if it seems that everything in my post was in response to yours. It wasn't my intention. I directed the part about the dropped passes to your post, but the balance of my comments were just general thoughts, not directed at you or your post specifically.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Hmm.. Was blaming Walton a stale excuse before or after he was fired?
Holy smokes, you're going to seriously compare Walton's performance to Shottenheimer's?

Hey, look I have nothing against blaming a coordinator who obviously has no idea what he's doing or simply doesn't fit. I'll gladly throw both Walton and McDaniels under the bus for you.

But penalties, the performance of the offensive line along with a 3rd string quarterback were all huge contributors to the letdown on Sunday. Two of those can be cleaned up, but will it be enough to beat the Bucs? Tune in Sunday to find out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
One of the things I have been wondering without doing a lot of film study is, does this offense run multiple plays out of the same look or is every play different looking and therefore easier to defend?