Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
It's amazing that Fisher has lasted this long, the guy seems like an idiot, employing someone for 3 years just due to who their farther is. He needs to go.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
man a couple ppl throwing up the Schotty posts and it wasn't even me lol. I'm glad this is becoming more of a topic. need a change in the offseason he's out of excuses

jjab360

Legend
Honestly, blaming the O-coordinator just seems stale and unoriginal to me. Can't you guys think of any other scapegoats to blame? Execution on pretty much all levels was pretty terrible, hard to put all that blame on just one guy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
How about something constructive instead like what would you do with the players we have if you had his job?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I can't say I'm a fan of his playcalling. I question his ability to adjust during the game and, more importantly, to surprise defenses.
That said, he's called a few gems, particularly last season when the run game was working and the passing attack exploited stacked boxes.

I wonder if maybe it's a combination of us all being still spoiled by Martz and the whole "my manager/coordinator/coach is a moron because I watch him all the time and see his mistakes" thing that all sports fans experience. I shook my head and cried softly to myself when he tried to run Austin up the gut out of the I-formation, but that's because the Rams are my team and I see every single play, not just the highlights.

Can't imagine other coordinators don't make bonehead calls. I'm fairly certain every fanbase calls for the coordinators' heads when the team struggles, because they watch every snap and can key in on particular bad calls.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I honestly can't believe he's to blame for all of what we saw on Sunday. I'm not a fan of the guy, but in certain scenarios I think it's much more realistic to think it comes down to the inexperienced QB being under center. When you see 7 or 8 guys on the line ready to take you out, you should audible into a quick man-beater slant. Not a drop-back slow developing play.

I find it impossible that B-Schott could have been throwing those plays out there expecting them to work. Now does he have some things to improve upon? Absolutely! But I thought with a much more competent QB under center in the 1st half, the offense was able to move the ball more effectively (minus penalties).

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
How about something constructive like what would you do if you had his job with the players we have?
I'd like to see a lot more quick slants over the middle from Quick, Britt and Austin, combined with some seam routes from Cook. Soften up the middle with the big, fast dudes on the outside and have the mismatch TE run routes at multiple depths.

If they start to worry about Quick/Britt taking 8-10 yard chunks routinely across the middle (the Marques Colston route tree), you may start seeing Cook running free up the middle for a long gainer.

Edit: This is kind of the Packers/Patriots approach, take all the short-mid gains the defense gives you, and then burn them deep when they cheat.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is there a point to the original post other than it being an incomplete history lesson and year old TMZ report?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Is there a point to the original post other than it being an incomplete history lesson and year old TMZ report?
Not initially, but taken as a conversation on how we'd like to see plays go - along with others likely tearing down our ideas, because after all, none of us is an offensive coordinator - could be fun and interesting.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It's not scapegoating. Go back and watch the plays Shotty calls. They are predictable and amateurish. The Rams offense doesn't even look professional, and I am not talking about the players. The differences between the Vikings offense and the Rams was dramatic and I see this every single week. The most glaring part is the lack of blockers when running around the ends or on screens and the numbers of times receivers are not open. No wonder they are pushing off trying anything to get open. After the Rams game I'll watch other games and I just shake my head at the differences. It IS the OC and coaching because the talent is on this team and something needs to be done. I am tired of watching the "same old lambs" as a friend unfortunately so aptly puts it.

cracengl

Rookie
I can't say I'm a fan of his playcalling. I question his ability to adjust during the game and, more importantly, to surprise defenses.
That said, he's called a few gems, particularly last season when the run game was working and the passing attack exploited stacked boxes.

I wonder if maybe it's a combination of us all being still spoiled by Martz and the whole "my manager/coordinator/coach is a moron because I watch him all the time and see his mistakes" thing that all sports fans experience. I shook my head and cried softly to myself when he tried to run Austin up the gut out of the I-formation, but that's because the Rams are my team and I see every single play, not just the highlights.

Can't imagine other coordinators don't make bonehead calls. I'm fairly certain every fanbase calls for the coordinators' heads when the team struggles, because they watch every snap and can key in on particular bad calls.

I agree with this. It really pisses me off when we run 2 yard give up plays on 3rd and long. But then again, what would I expect to see if they decided to chuck it down the field with their 3rd string QB and leaky O-line? Probably a 10 yard loss off a sack. Some of the other playcalling choices don't make sense to me at times either, but I'm not getting paid to do it. I don't buy into the idea that someone can keep a job if they are really detrimental to the team. There's got to be something there that Fisher sees that we don't always see.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
this guy hasn't even tried with Tavon. the lack of opportunities and the lack of creativity with the ones he called (executed poorly or not) were unoriginal. how on Gods green Earth do you justify running your little 180lb spark plug up the gap to get pounded when the running game was already going nowhere? how many injuries do we need? the obvious toss to him in the flat that was sniffed out too. this is in no way about ONE game. we're playing with backup and third string QBs so forget trying to be conservative and attempt to squeeze out a win with the defense he should be throwing the damn play book at them and say BRING IT! win or lose give it 110% and I've never seen Schotty do it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not initially, but taken as a conversation on how we'd like to see plays go - along with others likely tearing down our ideas, because after all, none of us is an offensive coordinator - could be fun and interesting.
Okay. I'll chip in after I'm done researching the posts last year that were complaining about him after the games in which the execution was on point and we were dropping 30 and 40 burgers on teams. With rookies, 2nd year players, and backup QBs. Obvious point maker is obvious.

And yeah, he probably did get a job in the NFL with help from his dad (except when he was at Kansas, Syracuse, Florida and USC). But then so did Wade Phillips, Rex and Rob Ryan, Lane Kiffin, Kyle Shanahan and Mike Nolan. I'm sure his pops would be proud of him taking a (now) crap Jets team to two Conference Championship games though. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Okay. I'll chip in after I'm done researching the posts last year that were complaining about him after the games in which the execution was on point and we were dropping 30 and 40 burgers on teams. With rookies, 2nd year players, and backup QBs. Obvious point maker is obvious.

And yeah, he probably did get a job in the NFL with help from his dad (except when he was at Kansas, Syracuse, Florida and USC). But then so did Wade Phillips, Rex and Rob Ryan, Lane Kiffin, Kyle Shanahan and Mike Nolan. I'm sure his pops would be proud of him taking a (now) crap Jets team to two Conference Championship games though. You know, if you're into that sort of thing.
See my hypothesis above on the "my coach/manager/coordinator is crap because I watch every play." Still, discussing what I/we would have liked to do - or would like to try to do going forward - can be an enjoyable football discussion.

Irish

Starter
I am not a Schottenheimer fan, but it is interesting how the OCs in this town are treated. Shurmur was vanilla and not very well liked, McDaniels was crazy and had no idea how to work with the "talent" he had, and now Schotty is too stupid to run an NFL offense after squeezing blood out of a rock in New York and helping Mark freaking Sanchez of all people maximize his potential and get to AFC title games.

Aren't the players at least somewhat culpable, and to a certain extent the guys picking those players? It's not like Schottenheimer threw the interception, missed blocks, ran the ball right at defenders, gave up on routes, and committed bone headed offensive pass interference penalties.

Again, I agree that I don't think Schottenheimer is good enough to lead a talent deficient offense to a championship, but he is certainly good enough to beat the freaking Vikings at home with the players he currently has. The players just didn't show up on Sunday.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I am not a Schottenheimer fan, but it is interesting how the OCs in this town are treated. Shurmur was vanilla and not very well liked, McDaniels was crazy and had no idea how to work with the "talent" he had, and now Schotty is too stupid to run an NFL offense after squeezing blood out of a rock in New York and helping Mark freaking Sanchez of all people maximize his potential and get to AFC title games.

Aren't the players at least somewhat culpable, and to a certain extent the guys picking those players? It's not like Schottenheimer threw the interception, missed blocks, ran the ball right at defenders, gave up on routes, and committed bone headed offensive pass interference penalties.

Again, I agree that I don't think Schottenheimer is good enough to lead a talent deficient offense to a championship, but he is certainly good enough to beat the freaking Vikings at home with the players he currently has. The players just didn't show up on Sunday.
It's hard to live up to Martz. Just like it's hard to live up to Warner. We as Rams fans seem to put undue expectations on the OC and QB positions.

(But I will agree that McDaniels was a crazy nutbar who got Bradford bludgeoned into a pulp by running plays designed for the Pats' O-line behind the likes of Mark LeVoir, Tony Wragge and Jason Brown)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
See my hypothesis above on the "my coach/manager/coordinator is crap because I watch every play." Still, discussing what I/we would have liked to do - or would like to try to do going forward - can be an enjoyable football discussion.
And I don't intend to stifle it. In fact, I'm going to expand on my thoughts about Schottenheimer later after I cave into my weakness and purchase NFL rewind again. I've been wanting to do a montage of plays that failed and point out execution issues in the process. By the time I'm done, however, we'll be into week 3. lol. But I really need to do something like that.

Where I want to see Schotty improve is in the area of duplicating his own successes. I'd like to see more plays from him that worked at one time, being repeated again. The only issue with that is that they're situational based on defensive coverages/philosophies. What worked against the Colts, for example, wouldn't work against the Vikings I don't think. But I didn't see many of those same plays either, so who knows?

Irish

Starter

I will say this about Fisher: no one can say that this current team is not one born of nepotism.

The season after Gregg Williams was suspended you had:

OC- Brian Schottenheimer (Son of Marty Schottenheimer)
DC- Blake Williams (Son of Gregg Williams)
Special Teams Coordinator- John Fassel (Son of Jim Fassel)

I mean, is there like a check box on the application that disqualifies you for a position if you didn't have an NFL coach as a father?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I will say this about Fisher: no one can say that this current team is not one born of nepotism.

The season after Gregg Williams was suspended you had:

OC- Brian Schottenheimer (Son of Marty Schottenheimer)
DC- Blake Williams (Son of Gregg Williams)
Special Teams Coordinator- John Fassel (Son of Jim Fassel)

I mean, is there like a check box on the application that disqualifies you for a position if you didn't have an NFL coach as a father?
Don't forget Paul *F* Boudreau - special teams assistant and son of Paul T Boudreau, offensive line coach. :shades: