Brian Schottenheimer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SAMTHERAM

Honestly, blaming the O-coordinator just seems stale and unoriginal to me. Can't you guys think of any other scapegoats to blame? Execution on pretty much all levels was pretty terrible, hard to put all that blame on just one guy.
Execution on high school designed plays is laughable, these guys are forced to run mediocre plays and look pretty tired doing so. Schottenheimer, as I stated on the Post Dispatch, is the single most evident reason for the Rams demise !

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Execution on high school designed plays is laughable, these guys are forced to run mediocre plays and look pretty tired doing so. Schottenheimer, as I stated on the Post Dispatch, is the single most evident reason for the Rams demise !
Hyperbole much?

If you think the plays are high school level, and they aren't all being executed properly, then how will a new coordinator with NFL level plays help?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not allowing substitutions getting the defense off balance not letting them get set. The oline isn't void of talent just need to give them a quickstart

The defense is allowed to get set. The substitutions can hurt them if they're blitzing and can tire them out. But at the same time, if they're getting home with only the front 4. It's not going to do any good. In fact, it'll more likely hurt you because the defense is going to be on the field so much. And that ignores the fact that I don't trust Austin Davis to run the no huddle.

The no huddle with our offense just isn't a good idea.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Schottenheimer is the most evident reason for the Rams demise? The Rams are 14-18-1 with him as OC. Care to tell what their record was in the preceding 5 years? I think pinning the Rams demise on Schotty is the definition of scapegoating.

dhaab

Rookie
So the reason why the Jets made the playoffs a few times when Schottenheimer was the OC is because of their offense??? Wow, just wow. I don't think you folks making this claim watched too many Jets games during those seasons.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The fact is that Fisher and Schotty are responsible for the offense. I don't care if the offense is plodding and unproductive because of the players or the game plan. These are their players, brought here by them and Snead. They're the ones responsible. If you were a project manager in your 3rd year, and after being given everything you asked for still blamed your lack of success on your team, would that fly? I don't think it would. Of course not everything going on is his fault. But who are you going to hold accountable for a department's poor performance if not the dept head? I'm not trying to say he should be fired or anything, I'm just trying to point out that the criticism isn't sometimes fair, it isn't unfair either. He has called some good games, and he also has been guilty of calling some truly awful ones.
In some ways I think it would be a cop out to blame the players. Again, it's year 3, after some of the most favorable drafting conditions in our history. Saying the players aren't good enough may be true, but that comes back to them. Saying the game plan can't be called because of execution may be true, but whose fault is that if not the coaches? Walton rightly was fired for his bad game calling and poor execution by players, and his unit outperformed Schotty's.

I guess my long winded point is that holding the OC accountable for the YEAR TO YEAR state of the offense is not unreasonable.

I am a Fisher guy. I think he will get us where we need to go.

But this is where my head is at. It's a results oriented job. Get results and the critique goes away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why wait until the off season? Get rid of him now. Make a statement. Cant be any worse than it already is.

What does getting rid of him now gain the Rams? Then you have to promote someone to OC...likely Cignetti...which means that the QB's lose their QB Coach. And who knows if Cignetti is any good at being an OC. They're going to have to keep running Schotty's scheme anyways.

We're not a contender. There's not much to gain from firing Schotty right now...but there's a lot to lose.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

I quoted your post just so I could read it. Needed to get it away from a certain distraction.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
I can't say I'm a fan of his playcalling. I question his ability to adjust during the game and, more importantly, to surprise defenses.
That said, he's called a few gems, particularly last season when the run game was working and the passing attack exploited stacked boxes.

I wonder if maybe it's a combination of us all being still spoiled by Martz and the whole "my manager/coordinator/coach is a moron because I watch him all the time and see his mistakes" thing that all sports fans experience. I shook my head and cried softly to myself when he tried to run Austin up the gut out of the I-formation, but that's because the Rams are my team and I see every single play, not just the highlights.

Can't imagine other coordinators don't make bonehead calls. I'm fairly certain every fanbase calls for the coordinators' heads when the team struggles, because they watch every snap and can key in on particular bad calls.
You are right, as a matter of fact I remember a team having the same problem a little over a few years ago. The fan base had a petition that you can still find on the net today. I think he was the OC for the Jets. Lol

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And our favorite play call of them all, 3rd and 14 and a handoff for 3 yards and punting late in the game when we need a first down to have a chance to win. I must say, I saw the Giants do that their last game and thought Schotty was calling the plays for them in their stinkfest of a game. Eli was throwing picks like crazy, guess it was time to run the ball

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I am a Fisher guy. I think he will get us where we need to go.

But this is where my head is at. It's a results oriented job. Get results and the critique goes away.

I like Fisher, too. I also think he's a good coach who will get us to where we need to go. But I'm not sure Schotty will be with us when we get there. IMO, the biggest reason for keeping him wasn't his ability as a OC, it was to give Bradford and the new receivers playbook continuity. Now the big #1 reason for keeping him is out again and sadly may not play for us again (I hope this isn't the case). So, is there still a big push to keep him next year if season 3 goes like season 2?

Obviously like you said, if we improve like I hope we will the talk goes away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I shook my head and cried softly to myself when he tried to run Austin up the gut out of the I-formation, but that's because the Rams are my team and I see every single play, not just the highlights.

Hang in there until tomorrow(well today on the East Coast) and you'll see exactly what I've been talking about with Coordinators being blamed for lack of execution.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
So the reason why the Jets made the playoffs a few times when Schottenheimer was the OC is because of their offense??? Wow, just wow. I don't think you folks making this claim watched too many Jets games during those seasons.

It cause they had a good defense then. Rams d has never reached that status.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
It cause they had a good defense then. Rams d has never reached that status.
And Sanchez was a rookie ,playing in a WAY better AFC, who Shotty managed artfully to keep him from losing games.
GQ shoots and the New York night life ruined Mark Sanchez.
I can't remember a game where my team lost that some fans didn't carp about the OC's play calling,plumbers, evabodies an OC in their own minds

wrstdude

Rookie
An example of how simple play calls can be in the NFL. I still don't see the need for 15 word plays OCs like to throw out there. This is from Chip Kelly's play
Eagles-play-chart.jpg
sheet last night.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
An example of how simple play calls can be in the NFL. I still don't see the need for 15 word plays OCs like to throw out there. This is from Chip Kelly's play
Eagles-play-chart.jpg
sheet last night.

I noticed this in the game last night. I was like WOAH, they are zoomed way in with that camera.