Bradford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
duckhunter said:
moklerman said:
duckhunter said:
Over the years we've discussed everything there is about Bradford and it's just not happening. I believe snead and Demitroff have got to be at least thinking of going a different way IN SPITE OF WHAT IS LEAKED IN THE MEDIA. $25M next year for an iffy, maybe broken QB.

If you remember his last year at OU he played poorly the first few games and then was injured for the rest of the year. His only work out in pajamas before the draft was like 96% completions and the media went berserk, putting pressure on Billy to draft him #1. I watched about all his games in college and his freshman year was the best. He wowed me. He hasn't looked like that since. . .

It's a difficult situation. We make excuses for poor team play but Bradford hasn't shown a Wow factor really. The OLine is pathetic and the main problem. Do they try to put lipstick on this situation one more time? Do they continue to blow smoke up peoples arses (yes that is what I think of all the coaches since Martz)? Do they draft some inside Oline talent? Like previous years, a lot of questions?
A bonafide WR would be a nice start. I'd like to see Bradford with a true #1 WR for a year just to see what happens. Givens and Austin look to be good complimentary guys and Pettis is a nice #4 and Cook may be a good pass catching TE but I'd like to see Bradford with a Reggie Wayne type. Not a freak like Calvin or Larry but a true, professional, WR.

Problem is they need to make a decision on Bradford next year and not see what he can do with a true #1.

Not many rookie WRs make an immediate impact their first year. Julio Jones and a few others have recently. May need to pay big bucks for a FA. Don't think they will. IMO, Marqise Lee seems to be the only one capable of making an immediate impact next year. There are other interesting talented candidates that will take some seasoning.

I've always thought the best way to help Bradford is a good running game and protection. Well, we're weak on both accounts. Cincy pretty much straightened out their line in two years, we're still putzing around.
Although my opinion of Bradford isn't as confident as it was, I still don't think he's the problem so I hesitate to just get rid of him(make a decision). I'm sure the Rams would love to re-structure his contract and I think he'll have to but when one thinks about it, what is his incentive to stay? Bradford's in a position to play hardball and it may be his decision that leads to him leaving next year. Because if I was him, I wouldn't take any less money to stay in this hot mess year after year.

Back to the WR question, that's what's so frustrating about what's going on. You mention Cincy. Well, they went out and got Gresham and Green. Both pass-catchers that can win one on one battles so they can leave help in to block if need be. The Rams on the other hand, built a team built for speed and challenging the defense with mismatches. You don't leave Richardson or Cook in the backfield to help block because they can't do it. One because he's too small and the other because he doesn't want to.

So, you can't run a conventional offense based off of play action. You HAVE to run the spread and up-tempo/no-huddle to utilize your speed, challenge and hopefully gas the defense. With a true #1 WR, it would be a lot easier. A guy that can adjust on a blitz read and look for the ball. A guy that can catch 99% of the passes that come his way. I guy that would take advantage of one-on-one coverage.

The caveat being, since Sam isn't totally off the hook in this mess, the QB couldn't LOCK onto him just because he's the only one he trusts. The ball has to be spread around and thrown to the right read regardless of who's number gets called. Sadly, that includes Quick who's never won a battle for the ball in his life but as I see it, getting this whole corps involved, participating and producing is the only hope this offense has. The defense has to figure that any receiver is a viable option and respect that any one of them will burn them. Otherwise, they need to scrap the whole thing.

But as every Ram fan, NFL fan and blind grandmother from Timbuktu has pondered, why did they bring in all the personnel to run a spread offense, the logical perfect fit for Bradford and still won't run it?

CGI_Ram said:
Here is a photo of the infamous "miss" by Sam to Pettis.

When you read people's comments you'd think he was passing without pressure in a clean pocket. This photo shows otherwise.

5244f7bd2c4d9.preview-620.jpg

Lmfao. People on here expect an NFL quarterback to have NO ONE in his vicinity when he makes a pass. Get over it. He missed badly. No more Sam excuses.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WestsideRamsfan said:
Lmfao. People on here expect an NFL quarterback to have NO ONE in his vicinity when he makes a pass. Get over it. He missed badly. No more Sam excuses.
1. Don't do that ^

2. Nobody is expecting him to have a 5 yard cushion prior to throwing the ball. It was a bad throw, hurried, and the timing was off between QB/WR. It's not an "excuse", it's the reality of the situation. As such, there are no excuses being offered up.

iced

WestsideRamsfan said:
CGI_Ram said:
Here is a photo of the infamous "miss" by Sam to Pettis.

When you read people's comments you'd think he was passing without pressure in a clean pocket. This photo shows otherwise.

5244f7bd2c4d9.preview-620.jpg

Seriously? that was a corner route...if pettis runs it correctly instead of being shocked at the blown coverage,its 6.

they were in man - pettis knows he's uncovered,immediately panics and throws his hands up instead of focusing on the route. bradford puts it where pettis was supposed to be

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh. That play was frustrating but it's one I'd like to see on coach's film. Wouldn't be shocked if Pettis wasn't where he was supposed to be. The most frustrating plays for me were the 3 or 4 balls that ended up in the defense's hands(but weren't caught) because Bradford was trying to force the ball short to covered WRs/TEs.

moklerman

Warner-phile
jrry32 said:
Meh. That play was frustrating but it's one I'd like to see on coach's film. Wouldn't be shocked if Pettis wasn't where he was supposed to be. The most frustrating plays for me were the 3 or 4 balls that ended up in the defense's hands(but weren't caught) because Bradford was trying to force the ball short to covered WRs/TEs.
I think Bradford needs to make that throw but that would include compensating for Pettis rounding off the route. Which he very much did. Instead of going to the corner, he sort of drifts out of his break. It was a short enough throw that even though Bradford had to throw it early, he should have just put it on him instead of leading him.

The coach's tape will be interesting because Bradford can't be Captain Checkdown and forcing passes into coverage. I think(hope) that he just didn't have too many options and receivers were blanketed. SF only rushing 3 and 4 guys left 7/8 in the defensive backfield and the Rams haven't shown the ability to beat even man coverage so I don't see how they were open in flooded zones.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford should have put more air under it because he could but I'd be more disappointed with Pettis on the play if he wasn't where he's supposed to be.

iced

jrry32 said:
Bradford should have put more air under it because he could but I'd be more disappointed with Pettis on the play if he wasn't where he's supposed to be.

he wasn't - fisher has already alluded to this. It was in one of his post game pressers

duckhunter

Starter
moklerman said:
duckhunter said:
moklerman said:
duckhunter said:
Over the years we've discussed everything there is about Bradford and it's just not happening. I believe snead and Demitroff have got to be at least thinking of going a different way IN SPITE OF WHAT IS LEAKED IN THE MEDIA. $25M next year for an iffy, maybe broken QB.

If you remember his last year at OU he played poorly the first few games and then was injured for the rest of the year. His only work out in pajamas before the draft was like 96% completions and the media went berserk, putting pressure on Billy to draft him #1. I watched about all his games in college and his freshman year was the best. He wowed me. He hasn't looked like that since. . .

It's a difficult situation. We make excuses for poor team play but Bradford hasn't shown a Wow factor really. The OLine is pathetic and the main problem. Do they try to put lipstick on this situation one more time? Do they continue to blow smoke up peoples arses (yes that is what I think of all the coaches since Martz)? Do they draft some inside Oline talent? Like previous years, a lot of questions?
A bonafide WR would be a nice start. I'd like to see Bradford with a true #1 WR for a year just to see what happens. Givens and Austin look to be good complimentary guys and Pettis is a nice #4 and Cook may be a good pass catching TE but I'd like to see Bradford with a Reggie Wayne type. Not a freak like Calvin or Larry but a true, professional, WR.

Problem is they need to make a decision on Bradford next year and not see what he can do with a true #1.

Not many rookie WRs make an immediate impact their first year. Julio Jones and a few others have recently. May need to pay big bucks for a FA. Don't think they will. IMO, Marqise Lee seems to be the only one capable of making an immediate impact next year. There are other interesting talented candidates that will take some seasoning.

I've always thought the best way to help Bradford is a good running game and protection. Well, we're weak on both accounts. Cincy pretty much straightened out their line in two years, we're still putzing around.
Although my opinion of Bradford isn't as confident as it was, I still don't think he's the problem so I hesitate to just get rid of him(make a decision). I'm sure the Rams would love to re-structure his contract and I think he'll have to but when one thinks about it, what is his incentive to stay? Bradford's in a position to play hardball and it may be his decision that leads to him leaving next year. Because if I was him, I wouldn't take any less money to stay in this hot mess year after year.

Back to the WR question, that's what's so frustrating about what's going on. You mention Cincy. Well, they went out and got Gresham and Green. Both pass-catchers that can win one on one battles so they can leave help in to block if need be. The Rams on the other hand, built a team built for speed and challenging the defense with mismatches. You don't leave Richardson or Cook in the backfield to help block because they can't do it. One because he's too small and the other because he doesn't want to.

So, you can't run a conventional offense based off of play action. You HAVE to run the spread and up-tempo/no-huddle to utilize your speed, challenge and hopefully gas the defense. With a true #1 WR, it would be a lot easier. A guy that can adjust on a blitz read and look for the ball. A guy that can catch 99% of the passes that come his way. I guy that would take advantage of one-on-one coverage.

The caveat being, since Sam isn't totally off the hook in this mess, the QB couldn't LOCK onto him just because he's the only one he trusts. The ball has to be spread around and thrown to the right read regardless of who's number gets called. Sadly, that includes Quick who's never won a battle for the ball in his life but as I see it, getting this whole corps involved, participating and producing is the only hope this offense has. The defense has to figure that any receiver is a viable option and respect that any one of them will burn them. Otherwise, they need to scrap the whole thing.

But as every Ram fan, NFL fan and blind grandmother from Timbuktu has pondered, why did they bring in all the personnel to run a spread offense, the logical perfect fit for Bradford and still won't run it?
We'll see against Jax if we can run since that is what Fisher is going to do. Then and later if that falters which I think it will, why not try the spread stuff and see what Bradford can do. You've got nothing to lose at that point.

iced

watching some of the All 22 tape right now - it's kind of messed up at the moment on Game rewind, it's all jumbled and not sequential at all.. but thus far, all receivers have been blanketed, tavon doubled, and definitely on some plays looks like they knew literally what was coming...for example..

This was a Play action fake with a Tight end in the motion to the right , the protection slides right and bradford rolls out left. This was the play that bradford at first looks like he forces the pass to Coook on the bottom, but after seeing the field - i really think he threw this away, not forced

Attachments

• ramsniners1.jpg
    ramsniners1.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 155
  • ramsniners2.jpg
    ramsniners2.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 156

iced

I think he could have had a shot here but whitner was in a decent position, it would really depend on the throw...3rd & 6, but yea I wouldn't have faith in Pettis either..

Pettis is on the bottom, Austin up top.

Attachments

• ramsniners3.jpg
    ramsniners3.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 189

moklerman

Warner-phile
Good God, the CB ran the route and was in position to catch the ball a lot better than Cook. And what the hell are the doing lining Cook up on the outside 1-on-1 against a CB for? Aaarrrrrgh!

bluecoconuts

Legend
moklerman said:
jrry32 said:
I think Bradford needs to make that throw but that would include compensating for Pettis rounding off the route. Which he very much did. Instead of going to the corner, he sort of drifts out of his break. It was a short enough throw that even though Bradford had to throw it early, he should have just put it on him instead of leading him.

The coach's tape will be interesting because Bradford can't be Captain Checkdown and forcing passes into coverage. I think(hope) that he just didn't have too many options and receivers were blanketed. SF only rushing 3 and 4 guys left 7/8 in the defensive backfield and the Rams haven't shown the ability to beat even man coverage so I don't see how they were open in flooded zones.

Teams have mostly been rushing 3 or 4 knowing we have no run game and our pass protection isnt holding up. They usually double Austin, and Cook, leave a S high to watch deep routes (Givens) and they still have 3 guys who can cover the rest one on one.

iced

bluecoconuts said:
moklerman said:
jrry32 said:

Teams have mostly been rushing 3 or 4 knowing we have no run game and our pass protection isnt holding up. They usually double Austin, and Cook, leave a S high to watch deep routes (Givens) and they still have 3 guys who can cover the rest one on one.

Yep.

Niners ran a ton of 2 deep safety looks

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
duckhunter said:
Angry Ram said:
duckhunter said:

When I, Angry Ram was a freshman @ OU, Sam was a sophomore. He won the Heisman thereafter.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't he and OU melt down in the bowl game his sophomore year? I'm still a little ticked about that game. I had higher expectations that he didn't meet. It was a big game and he fell short.

IMO, his freshman year, he looked like a QB wanting to tear the league up with or without help from other members of his team. He made plays, last minute drives often and played extremely well under pressure.

It was more about the coaches/game plan. From what I remember Sam always got it into the RZ that game; actually more like inside the 5. Then the coaches pissed away the RZ chances with their play calling i.e. running it into the teeth of the Florida D instead of using the pass game.

And no I'm not trying to "protect" Sam, Bob Stoops in big national title games in recent years has stunk it up.

Also speaking from his OU days, Sam and Jermaine Gresham were unstoppable. I don't understand since he came to the Rams why the TE is not used as the main passing target. Currently they have 2, and not only are they NOT the focal point, they aren't even being used the right way. It's a joke really. Use those TEs and then use Tavon who should be one on one. If a fuckin internet fan like me can see that I don't know what the fuck they can't.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Angry Ram said:
Also speaking from his OU days, Sam and Jermaine Gresham were unstoppable. I don't understand since he came to the Rams why the TE is not used as the main passing target. Currently they have 2, and not only are they NOT the focal point, they aren't even being used the right way. It's a joke really. Use those TEs and then use Tavon who should be one on one. If a freakin internet fan like me can see that I don't know what the freak they can't.
Take a look upthread for a big reason why. If you're going to isolate and spread your TE wide to the outside with no slot receiver, even as fast and athletic as they might be, they're not going to get separation against an NFL CB. Especially not on a 10 yard out pattern throwing from the far side of the formation.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
IMO SB makes the OC look bad because if the primary doesn't get open in most cases the play is doomed. I can't count how many times over the last 3+ years I've watched SB throw to whoever he had his eye on at the snap of the ball.

To many plays go like this. Sam snaps the ball and then looks at his primary WR. The ball is either going to that primary or it's getting dumped off to whoever is closest to the line of scrimmage. If givens is flying down the opposite sideline uncovered that's just to bad because SB is never going to get that far into his progressions to see it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
moklerman said:
Angry Ram said:
Also speaking from his OU days, Sam and Jermaine Gresham were unstoppable. I don't understand since he came to the Rams why the TE is not used as the main passing target. Currently they have 2, and not only are they NOT the focal point, they aren't even being used the right way. It's a joke really. Use those TEs and then use Tavon who should be one on one. If a freakin internet fan like me can see that I don't know what the freak they can't.
Take a look upthread for a big reason why. If you're going to isolate and spread your TE wide to the outside with no slot receiver, even as fast and athletic as they might be, they're not going to get separation against an NFL CB. Especially not on a 10 yard out pattern throwing from the far side of the formation.

Yeah like I said they aren't using them or anyone else right.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
VCRam said:
IMO SB makes the OC look bad because if the primary doesn't get open in most cases the play is doomed. I can't count how many times over the last 3+ years I've watched SB throw to whoever he had his eye on at the snap of the ball.

To many plays go like this. Sam snaps the ball and then looks at his primary WR. The ball is either going to that primary or it's getting dumped off to whoever is closest to the line of scrimmage. If givens is flying down the opposite sideline uncovered that's just to bad because SB is never going to get that far into his progressions to see it.

There are some elements of truth here but also a lot of hyperbole.

duckhunter

Starter
moklerman said:
Angry Ram said:
Under that scenario with a CB one on one with cook seems like a slant is the first option all day until they can stop it. When the CB wants to take the inside shoulder and jump the route then roll back out and put the CB on your back for an easy lob over him. See how that CB likes tackling Cook a few times.

It is like someone else has said earlier the timing of the play calls seem out of sync. Start with some easy slants to the big WRs and set the defenders up for plays off those earlier looks.

Yeah Angry. I do believe much of it was on Stoops in that game.