Book: Bernie Kosar's Slurred Speech Resulted from Painkillers Browns Gave Him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
New book "Blood Sport" alleges Bernie Kosar's slurred speech resulted from painkillers Browns gave him

By Bill Livingston, The Plain Dealer
July 19, 2014

http://blog.cleveland.com/livingsto...=/2014/07/new_book_blood_sport_says_bern.html

CLEVELAND Ohio –-Bernie Kosar slurs his words because:

He has post-concussion syndrome.
He refused to wear a mouthpiece as a Browns and Miami Dolphins quarterback and suffered severe dental injuries.
He has a drinking problem.
The Browns kept him on the playing field with doses of the addictive pain-killer oxycodone (trade name, oxycontin; street name, oxy, OC, O).

The latter is alleged as the cause in the new book "Blood Sport – Alex Rodriguez, Biogenesis and the Quest to End Baseball's Steroid Era" by the New York Times' Tim Elfrink and Newday's Gus Garcia-Roberts. Excerpts of the book, detailing the doping that made the currently suspended Rodriguez baseball's No. 1 drug offender, appeared in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated.

The Browns controversially removed Kosar as a television analyst for their exhibition games this off-season, citing sharp criticism he directed at a St. Louis Rams' backup quarterback last season. Kosar's sometimes slurred diction has often been criticized by some viewers.

"Blood Sports" says he was steered to the Biogenesis "anti-aging" clinic by Julio Cortes, a defensive end on the 1983 Miami Hurricanes team that Kosar led to the national championship. The connection occurred after Bosch moved his offices in late 2011 to Coral Gables, directly across the street from the University's Alex Rodriguez Park.

Suffering from a bad back and knees that resulted from a short, violent football career at The U and with the NFL Seattle Seahawks and teams in the Canadian Football League, Cortes visited Biogenesis because he had gone to the same Florida high school, Columbia, as its founder Tony Bosch.

Known as "Dr. Tony," Bosch had only a two-year degree from a medical school in Belize in Central America and was unlicensed to practice medicine in the United States.

Bosch had gotten good results with a complicated regimen of steroids, amino acids, testosterone, and human growth hormone, prescribed in Florida by licensed doctors willing to be paid for doing so to patients they never examined.

The state, say the authors, became a fertile breeding ground for (the) age-conquering crusade."

In reality, "anti-aging" was a flimsy euphemism for steroid doping. "The state had always prided itself on its Wild West lack of regulation, particularly in the medical market," say the authors. "The Sunshine State encumbered (anti-aging) businesses with virtually no rules."

The book alleges that, along with A-Rod and other elite baseball players, seeking to either regain or increase an illegal performance edge, "a steady stream of ex-Hurricanes and former NFL players started creaking over to Bosch's office for treatment."

Among them was Kosar. "After a twelve-season pro career," say the authors in a sad summary of the Browns' legend, "Kosar has stumbled through a sometimes-incoherent retirement, marred by batty behavior, bankruptcy and drunk-driving arrests."

Bosch's records indicate that Kosar was a patient and that at least one shipment of drugs was made, for which Kosar paid $600.

The authors paraphrase Cortes' view this way: "Compared to the highly addictive painkillers that NFL teams shovel at players, Cortes says Bosch's treatments were a healthier alternative."

In a direct quote, Cortes said, "We can either do this or get back on the oxy. You read the papers about Kosar, and he's a mess. He's slurring his words from the medication, from the oxy that the Browns gave him."

Withdrawal from oxycodone is considered one of the most painful ordeals a drug addict faces, with body aches much worse than the flu and a sensation of pins and needles stabbing their muscles.

The authors conclude: "If he gave Kosar testosterone, Bosch broke the law. But it's hard to see immediate harm in two ailing middle-aged men snagging testosterone if it helped heal their aches. After all, they had legitimate health problems and were certainly old enough to know what they were getting into."

I could do with some painkillers having to listen to him. At least we won't have to this year.

Sorry that joke was in poor taste but it's how I feel about him.

jjab360

Legend
I don't think anybody cared about the slurred speech so much as him acting like an asshole.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was surprised so many of my brethren were upset at Bernie...I was also surprised many didn't know Bernie could really play this game...It's a shame about the drugs...I wonder could these anti-aging clinics go up north to Canada or down to Mexico and be successful? I mean, do these therapies work? I know for a fact that similar cocktails are administered for muscle-wasting diseases in hospitals today, and are effective...Why not use this knowledge for retired players, if it helps?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
th

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder if the Browns also gave him an unlimited supply of booze to wash the pills down with. :rolleyes:

Sorry Bern. It wasn't the slurring that bothered most people I heard from, it was the diarrhea you were slurring that took you out with most fans. Hell - people listened to Harry Caray for HOW LONG?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What's great is Kellen Clemens played much to our horror and exceeded expectations and now has a great gig in San Diego...We should all have gigs in San Diego. Kosar has other issues and I hope the guy truly gets some help because he was good for the City and played some darn good football.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Some People look to blame anyone for their behavior and or actions. I have little to no respect for those guys. Put the bottle down and seek out support don't blame others.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This place is starting to exhibit real inolerance and some ugliness. Oxycontin is pretty serious stuff, and would certainly explain some of Bernie's troubles.

The guy was a great QB.... people here should show some respect.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This place is starting to exhibit real inolerance and some ugliness. Oxycontin is pretty serious stuff, and would certainly explain some of Bernie's troubles.

If he was under the influence while announcing, then fine, that's on the Browns for allowing that. But if that's not the case, then... yeah... no. People dislike Kosar because he was an unprofessional jackhole. What happened during his playing days doesn't excuse that.

Plus, I think we've become used to hating everyone named Bernie.

crazyhorns

Rookie

It's not about intolerance. I know exactly what Oxy can do but I also know addiction very well and it may explain the troubles but he made the choice and continues to make the choice.

Until he owns it the problem will never change.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's not about intolerance. I know exactly what Oxy can do but I also know addiction very well and it may explain the troubles but he made the choice and continues to make the choice.

Until he owns it the problem will never change.
Oxy is pharaceutical grade heroine. If the Browns organization gave this to him during his playing days, then just about everything that's happened in Bernie's life is explainable and understandable. And while I get the notion that Bernie has to "own it" for the problem to go away, I also understand that if he is dealing with the effects of an Oxy addiction then blaming him or dis'ing him is pretty merciless.

Alan

Legend
I'll go with Mojo's comment but Stranger has a point too. No need to hit a guy when he's down.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Oxy is pharaceutical grade heroine. If the Browns organization gave this to him during his playing days, then just about everything that's happened in Bernie's life is explainable and understandable. And while I get the notion that Bernie has to "own it" for the problem to go away, I also understand that if he is dealing with the effects of an Oxy addiction then blaming him or dis'ing him is pretty merciless.

You have to be careful. The bar tender who gives the alcoholic his first beer is he/she responsible? I think all of us have had some kind of pain killers in their lives. In fact I had some after surgery and noticed I was becoming way too comfortable with the pills and stop taking them immediately. People do have a choice in most cases. Bernie made the choice to take it and then made the choice to continue to pursue the drugs instead of getting support to stop. From that point on I believe ownership belongs to Bernie and Bernie alone. Oxy is a powerful drug and I am not arguing that point at all and what we know now it would not be administered today most likely.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm still a bit surprised at the lengths some fans will take homerism. Bernie didn't say anything that I didn't agree with. Clemens and the WR's all sucked and have sucked for a while. No reason to crucify the guy for telling it like it is. I'd much rather hear some real opinions from a color-announcer, even if I don't agree with them, than say, what Brian Billick offers.