Best Players Tonight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrankenRam

Starter
Maybe, but we have a much higher mountain to climb than last year. The effects of the move to LA...tough early schedule with several games on the road early, and a game in London....The combo of all of these things will have an effect on whoever is leading this team...So 7-9 with a game manager might be the most we can expect.

IMO, ''the effects of the move to LA" is SO overblown. It is a big deal for all the 'support staff'.....the people that keep the daily operation of the team humming.

But for the players & coaches....not so much. The field is still 100 yds long, they put their pads on the same and they fit the same, the playbook is the same, etc etc etc.The only thing the players have to worry about is finding a residence to throw their dirty laundry into. People in the real world make these kind of moves every day and manage to continue to perform their jobs at a high level. No reason football players can't.

"The move" is just a built in excuse for failure.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect that Goff will take us much further one day, but Keenum was 3 - 2 as a starter for the Rams, ... would have been 4 - 1 had Gurley played in our final game of the 2015 season. Foles is responsible for all those earlier starts, and the sub .500 record.
Foles was 4-3 at one point though and some of the early success was due to his play. Keenum while 3-2 was his record, could have been 1-4 just as easily had the defense not scored Td in the wins against Detroit and Seattle.
Gurley and the D is why the team won some games late in the season and thank god we have them both back

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Hey, did no one mention the fantastic grab by Cooper?? What a catch!! Very encouraging. While Thomas sucked with his stone hands, he did do a really good job on Teams.

I think Goff did very well overall, especially when compared to the first 2 games. You can see his grasp of the game and speed progressing.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher post game when asked about the drops:
"Yeah they're a concern. If the guys continue to drop the football they can't play. I'm not gonna put someone out there that's got a drop history and then rely on them in a game, and then have a drop at a critical moment. They gotta continue to work at that."
You drop the football, we freaking drop you. Show anyone with butterfingers the door right now. Oh, how do my Rams brothers/sisters like our receivers showing the entire world that the talking heads were absolutely right by ranking our receivers #32 in that recent article? I was actually offended when it came out. We are better than that, I know we are.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I thought Ogletree was the most impressive Ram tonight. Both in absolute terms, and relative to other pre-season performances to date. The entire first team was solid, really, on both sides of the ball. Goff looked imperfect but encouraging. It's insane how many drops his WRs committed.

Mike Thomas was brutal. Quick was hardly a world-beater but he caught what was thrown his way tonight. I think he makes the roster.

Ogletree is a beast. The #1 defense looked really, really good. The #1 offense, despite Keenum limitations with arm strength, looked real good too.

Quick did catch everything thrown to him and made a nice first down on an early drive. I was not impressed with Duke. It appeared he had one eye on the closing defender and one eye on the ball....which hit him in both hands. Goff looked good. 4 of 12 with 3 or 4 drops. That converts to 58-66% if his receiver could catch what hits their hands.

And we must remember....our #1 O was doing that without Gurley. He is the key.

fearsomefour

Legend
Michael Irvin often tells rookies he's working out for a 30 minute special, pre-draft shows, they have to know and just accept getting hit when going over the middle. As for the routes, do you think Goff designed them, or the coaches?
It is a fact of life for a WR....of course Irvin is a big dude.
QBs can throw the ball in a way to protect their WR some, they can also throw guys open.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I saw a tweet last night that GRob left the game with "concussion like symptoms". Did anyone else see or hear that?

The WR drops are brutal. Right now, the only guys I would even keep if today was the final cut down would be Spruce (sticks regardless) and McRoberts. I might put Duke and Hill on the PS and see if they stay, but as of right now I can't justify keeping too many of these guys. It's the NFL. If it hits your hands you MUST make the catch.

I am really curious to see the injury report along with the first round of cuts.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, ''the effects of the move to LA" is SO overblown. It is a big deal for all the 'support staff'.....the people that keep the daily operation of the team humming.

But for the players & coaches....not so much. The field is still 100 yds long, they put their pads on the same and they fit the same, the playbook is the same, etc etc etc.The only thing the players have to worry about is finding a residence to throw their dirty laundry into. People in the real world make these kind of moves every day and manage to continue to perform their jobs at a high level. No reason football players can't.

"The move" is just a built in excuse for failure.
EFFECTS of the Move:
1. Young players moving to an exciting, large metro area with many more distractions. Trying to find a home that is close to the LA Coliseum that is decent, and isn't a traffic nightmare. It is much worse than the "Lou".
2. A few have families, so that means getting a home sold and moving vans, and getting kids into a new school. Wife complaints about this or that. Not unique, but its a problem.
3. First Oxnard...Then UC Irvine...Then the new place (can't remember the name), and then the Coliseum..
4. 5x the attention of LA media, Hard Knocks, etc....Distractions.

I say the above points because from the college athletes and those who train them that I have been around, are creatures of routine. They want everything to be a certain way, so they can concentrate on their sport. They get VERY upset when little things change it, let alone a move a couple of thousand miles away and everything that goes with it. When the difference between a great team and a mediocre team is really not that great in the grand scheme of things, little things matter. Yes, you and I handle these things when necessary, and it is a pain..But you an I are not trying to block JJ Watt on the edge, and we're all effed up in the mind because the kids are having problems at their new school....

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I forgot to mention that the Oline looked pretty good (starters)
The Denver DC threw hard all night long with pressure & jamming the LOS up. His defense had it together last night.

ORT: The Rams OL had big issues with both sides with the 34 OSLB'ers. LB'er speed gave OT Saffold big problems early. RS seemed to gather himself after he permitted a sack & two hits on his QB. I bet he took a baseball bat somewhere on the side line to get his attention to himself. Top veteran reserve OL'er Garrett Reynolds took over for Saffold @ ORT. It was the first time in this pre season that Garrett played ORT. He has been working the previous 2 PS games @ 2nd team ORG. GR faired sooo much better than the other reserve OT. Garrett Reynolds gave way to our first time ever Isaiah Battle sighting. IB was clearly is gimpy & raw & not very good, but boy oh boy.... do I want to see much more of this big great looking protoype :heh:bodied OT! From my first site of him :love:. There is something there under that muddle to build on.

OLT: GRob seemed to be able to handle the speed hits better very surprising but he had some bad moment too. I will have to admit that GRob has show'd me enough in three PS games to bring a big :) to my ugly mug. But he never returned after the 1st quarter ended & first starter to leave the field last night due to head blow. His back up Darrell Williams:shocked::shocking: :death:entered the game the same time when Goff came in. From that point on the OLT post was a gigantic HOLE to which Denver attacked Goff from. DW won the third OT post last season early from that time & throughout 2016 OTA's/TC & 3 pre season games he has held this important spot. Last night he was a total epic fail..

ORG:Even Denver's LDT I think it was Wolfe was getting consistent pressure against RG Brown but Brown faired better than Saffold did at first. Brown overall seemed to do better in his pass protection than the previous games. DT Wolfe guy is no WWC! He is bonified. JB's back up @ ORG last night was David Arkin. His play was not good enough to say much.

OC: Denver's new NT is outstanding who ever he is, but OC Tim Barnes (y) held his own up on him. No much to say about the run holes due to Denver's ISLB'ers standing a few inches off the massive butts of the DL'ers. But Barnes turned in a very solid game. Tim Barnes was the best Ram OL'er on the field last night.His reserve was Rhaney (n)who did get pushed back more often than not He is just not able to power up. OC Kush:unsure: came in & seemed to fair better against the NT's but nothing that good. There were some good runs later behind Kush by RB MacGee. Our reserve OC's is our weakest link in the OL cadre thus far.

OLG: Cody Wichmann :love:has a excellent game both in pass blocking & run blocking, Cody is looking better & better with each game IMO. He does not do anything really great but is flat out consistent every play. He is always looking for a 2nd defender to get a blow on. I will suggest that those who have this game recorded take the time to watch OL'ers Barnes & Wichmann work together on the interior last night it might get you :yay:. Wichmann's relief last night came from Andrew Donnal(y). While its clear that Donnal is much better @ ORT than @ OG as we have seen from the previous 2 pre season games & TC reports his play @ OLG was not all that bad. AD has improved on his interior OL performance.

P.S. Greg Robinson has arrived:yess::santa:

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought the entire starting Rams D did a helluva job tonight. Ogletree at MLB made some hella good plays, which James L could only have dreamed of...Donald is Donald, a freakin monster. Quinn looked good.

I thought Goff looked really good when surrounded by mostly starters, and WHEN NOT "PROTECTED" by Williams...Williams needs to be cut so hard! His WR's dropped balls that they had to catch, and he showed what Keenum doesn't have. Keenum is 7-9, while Goff might take us much farther...jmo

I agree with everything, plus a shoutout to Brown, until Goff. He threw several bad passes and should have been intercepted at least once or twice. I like his raw talent, but he's not ready and Case is. I don't know why people are calling Case 7-9 when he's our only winning QB in how many seasons? Personally, I think he's going to surprise a few people this season, or at least, I hope he will. He's going to have even more talent around him this season.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
lots to be excited for...
I don't understand hot routes that stop in the flat.
me neither....
i still say Paxton Lynch sucks as a QB and i thank the NFL Gods we didn't draft him at #15 to be our guy.
now, now....too soon, yes? Looked a lil shaky last night for sure....
how do my Rams brothers/sisters like our receivers showing the entire world that the talking heads were absolutely right by ranking our receivers #32 in that recent article?
just like the one who caught them all last night...they are just drops, from mostly rookies..in their first road game...give them time...especially Mike Thomas....Hemingway too...
but of course, SPRUCE & Marquez passes these guys and they can't even suit up...

our first time ever Isaiah Battle sighting. IB was clearly is gimpy & raw & not very good, but boy oh boy.... do I want to see much more of this big great looking protoype :heh:bodied OT! From my first site of him :love:. There is something there under that muddle to build on.
figured you saw him....at least he was on the field...

Not really pleased with Williams protecting Goff's blind side....but whatever..

Great work by the lines...D-Line was dominant...Not sure, but for some reason, Denver's 1's didn't wanna throw until our starters came out...so, no way to judge the entire D....TJ seemed active....

1's on offense were solid...not spectacular...shout out to Kendricks....Britt...and Saffold....for blocking Von M. Harkey was about to let Von kill Case....Who was that that hit Case on the sideline????

Great work overall...

Any of you wanna see the Rams of 76-86??? Check out this team....almost a repeat...Defense, running back..and Quarter Back...

RamzFanz

Damnit
the Malcom Brown one was questionable IMO he got popped pretty good by Stewart

It was a questionable decision, that's for sure, could have easily been an interception or forced fumble. However, that ball bounced off Brown's chest before Stewart got there.

Gurley and the D is why the team won some games late in the season and thank god we have them both back

Yes, and sufficient QB play. Case is no star, but he got the job done, and I really like his chances with the new O talent and the O line shaping up.

You drop the football, we freaking drop you.

Not really. Not with Fisher. He's pretty slow at benching and cutting for drops. Look at Quick and Cook. For Thomas, because his upside is so high, his route running and getting open being pretty consistent, I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept and used on ST while he develops better mitts. He played really well on ST last night. We know he can catch, he needs to start proving it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
figured you saw him....at least he was on the field...
I would have to be completely blind not too. Battle is a large man.
Not really pleased with Williams protecting Goff's blind side....but whatever..
Your so nice........:puke:
Who was that that hit Case on the sideline????
Aqib Talib CB #21 well known NFL Bad Boy

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Haven't been able to watch the game yet, but from reading the ROD feedback:
  • Brown is coming along, and Brown has been a great FA find, but Browne hasn't impressed much...
  • Cunningham, too is a great FA and backup to Todd, but Cunningham is gone in the numbers game...
  • Marquez has looked solid and may yet make the team because of his special teams value but has anyone even seen Marquez in camp OR in a game?
  • Great to have Gaines back, he should be solid, but Gaines may be gone in the first round of cuts.
  • Hill is really coming on and may make the team over high profile free agents, but Hill, despite a high profile TV segment doesn't have much of a chance.
  • Reynolds has been a solid special teams player for the Rams but may be lost in a numbers game too. There is just too much talent there. Reynolds is a solid vet and offers great depth.
  • Thomas has been very frustrating, but Thomas may add some valuable depth and is fighting for a spot.
  • Williams is an awesome asset and schemes well, while Williams is an enigma, and Williams is going to get Goff killed out there.
Is that about right?:whistle:

:rant:Is the wrong Steve Smith available in case none of these receivers work out?

FrankenRam

Starter
EFFECTS of the Move:
1. Young players moving to an exciting, large metro area with many more distractions. Trying to find a home that is close to the LA Coliseum that is decent, and isn't a traffic nightmare. It is much worse than the "Lou".
2. A few have families, so that means getting a home sold and moving vans, and getting kids into a new school. Wife complaints about this or that. Not unique, but its a problem.
3. First Oxnard...Then UC Irvine...Then the new place (can't remember the name), and then the Coliseum..
4. 5x the attention of LA media, Hard Knocks, etc....Distractions.

I say the above points because from the college athletes and those who train them that I have been around, are creatures of routine. They want everything to be a certain way, so they can concentrate on their sport. They get VERY upset when little things change it, let alone a move a couple of thousand miles away and everything that goes with it. When the difference between a great team and a mediocre team is really not that great in the grand scheme of things, little things matter. Yes, you and I handle these things when necessary, and it is a pain..But you an I are not trying to block JJ Watt on the edge, and we're all effed up in the mind because the kids are having problems at their new school....

That's true. Some of us are fighting fires. Some of us are dealing with violent criminals. Some of us are saving lives. You know...nothing major......like playing football......or dealing with media. Such a rough life.

YAWN!

bluecoconuts

Legend
For the sake of argument a nfl pro bowler was being soft...That may not be the case next time around.

Perhaps, but he was still driving down the field, making good reads with a second team offense against the championship defense. We can put handicaps all we want about preseason and all that, until it's game time we don't know what he can do.