Austin Davis to Remain as QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
They're coming up with what Fisher said next on E$PN101. I pretty much got the just from their lead in that it will be like the tweets you posted.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Not surprising... and I don't think there was a real choice in the matter. Don't think it would have made any real impact on things, and it would have made Fisher look terrible, especially if the first part of this sentence is correct.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Not surprising... and I don't think there was a real choice in the matter. Don't think it would have made any real impact on things, and it would have made Fisher look terrible, especially if the first part of this sentence is correct.

You think Davis will be on a short leash if he plays bad this Sunday? Does he "have to look over his shoulder" now?

rams2050

Starter
Well, who knows? We can continue to hope that AD will come around and start making better decisions. After all, he wasn't doing too badly at the beginning, so perhaps he can right the 'QB ship' and maybe even lead the Rams to several more victories.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
You think Davis will be on a short leash if he plays bad this Sunday? Does he "have to look over his shoulder" now?
Well, after saying this, Fisher would look even sillier than before if he pulls Davis over a bad game this next week.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I hope not and I don't think so I think what he is going to do is ride out the season with davis to see exactly what that kid is........ I think it's a smart play

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Well, who knows? We can continue to hope that AD will come around and start making better decisions. After all, he wasn't doing too badly at the beginning, so perhaps he can right the 'QB ship' and maybe even lead the Rams to several more victories.

So your avatar remains the same? If so, I'll keep mine the same on FB. :cool:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Well, after saying this, Fisher would look even sillier than before if he pulls Davis over a bad game this next week.

Sorry my apologies. I meant you think he is on a short leash during the game? He may start, but if playing horrendous would Fisher pull him in favor of Hill? I think you still answered, but I didn't make my question clear.

Speeps

Starter
It's the smart long term decision to be honest. Fisher realizes we're not going to the playoffs this year. He needs to continue to evaluate Austin Davis as it will help them make decisions in the offseason about the QB position. Pulling Davis for Hill right now doesn't make a lot of sense.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Sorry my apologies. I meant you think he is on a short leash during the game? He may start, but if playing horrendous would Fisher pull him in favor of Hill? I think you still answered, but I didn't make my point clear.
It would have to be REALLY bad I think... basically like if the poor play trying to make miracles happen at the end of the last game happening throughout a whole game.

And then the problem remains for him... suppose he puts Hill in and Hill is as bad or even worse? I was glad we signed Hill, but he's done nothing to convince me he's better than Davis, and Davis isn't the sole problem in our offense by a long shot.

Speeps

Starter
It would have to be REALLY bad I think... basically like if the poor play trying to make miracles happen at the end of the last game happening throughout a whole game.

And then the problem remains for him... suppose he puts Hill in and Hill is as bad or even worse? I was glad we signed Hill, but he's done nothing to convince me he's better than Davis, and Davis isn't the sole problem in our offense by a long shot.
To be fair to Hill, he has had an extremely small sample size to show what he can do. By small sample size, I mean 1 half of 1 game. I still think Hill can play, possibly at a higher level than Davis. I'm fairly certain that Hill can make more throws than Davis, and his arm is stronger. He's also more mechanically sound. However, I don't think Davis should be benched for Hill.

jjab360

Legend
Did anybody really expect them to make the switch? Pretty clear that Davis isn't the long term answer, but he might be the answer at backup QB. Hill otoh is all but gone after this year and honestly has never been that much better than Davis is right now at any point in his long career.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
To be fair to Hill, he has had an extremely small sample size to show what he can do. By small sample size, I mean 1 half of 1 game. I still think Hill can play, possibly at a higher level than Davis. I'm fairly certain that Hill can make more throws than Davis, and his arm is stronger. He's also more mechanically sound. However, I don't think Davis should be benched for Hill.
Hill has a small sample size WITH us... but we knew what he was before we ever signed him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Fisher left the door open and being that the Rams play the Broncos next week I expect to see Shaun Hill staring the 2nd half and for the rest of the year barring injury or Davis rediscovers himself, but I'm planning on seeing Shaun Hill next week.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I don't blame him but that's just what he said about Hill starting ("that's just the way it is") until he wasn't. So, who really knows but whatever Fisher is saying on Monday hasn't shown to necessarily be the reality on Sunday. Whoever plays with the ones this week in practice will be the guy.

It's funny that at the time (week 2) that Fish was saying Hill is starting and that's just the way it is that many Ram fans were clamoring for Davis. Now its vicey versy.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Read a very interesting article on how Chip Kelly designs his offense around the QB even if the QB changes. he plays to their strengths a reason why Sanchez is doing so well. Schottenheimer has zero ability to adapt or pretty much do anything besides come up with a handful of well scripted plays. he has actually increased the pass percentage this year while using a 4th string QB yet Fisher calls this a ground and pound offense. zero explanation for all of this. now politics and some ego will keep Davis at QB while this team struggles to even get 200 yards of offense a game. the only way anything changes this season is either a different QB or different OC

rams2050

Starter
Yeah, I'm thinking I'm gonna keep the avatar for a while -- and see what happens.

I would LIKE it to become my permanent avatar. I hate to be one of those fair-weather fans who shrieks and screams at the first sign of adversity. Maybe AD CAN pull it off and do better in future games. I sincerely hope so.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff

I think he would have to play really bad too. I also agree Davis isn't the sole problem of our offense. The OL situation has to be stabilized one way or another. Yesterday during the game, my Mrs. who just became a football/Rams fan last season was screaming at me and the TV, "why can't they protect him (Davis)?"

That said, at times Davis was horrible in his reads. He missed several open receivers during the course of the game. This did come from pressure, but I've seen other QB's deal with that and be able to adjust. The anti Davis crowd also must realize this is the same as a rookie QB. Davis is still very much on a learning curve. I have to wonder for those calling to draft a QB and play him next year, if their reaction would be the same as with Davis?

I'm for staying with Davis unless as you stated above, he's really bad.. let him learn, especially if he's in the equation for 2015.