Austin Davis to Remain as QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Show me those same games and add both 1st and 2nd half ratings.

Too lazy. Besides, the whole team including the coordinators seem to go into a brain freeze at half-time. With some exceptions we're being consistently outcoached which is amazing considering the all-star coaching staff we supposedly have. Where are the adjustments, especially on offense? Who told Shottenheimer that it was a good idea to air it out with 7 minutes to play and a 4-point lead on the road?

I think the trap that some on message boards fall into is that they tend to zero in on the QB position and overlook the team/coaching game aspect of it. This is how the Warner vs Bulger and Bradford is great vs. Bradford sucks internet wars came to be. Now we have the Davis vs. Hill stuff happening here.

Again, as I've stated many times before, I have no problem with seeing what Shaun Hill has to offer and I also have no problem with Austin Davis continuing his baptism of fire for the rest of the season. It's not my call or yours. That's entirely on the Rams coaching staff. Whichever way they choose to go, I hope they're right and that we can win a few more games this season.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Too lazy. Besides, the whole team including the coordinators seem to go into a brain freeze at half-time. With some exceptions we're being consistently outcoached which is amazing considering the all-star coaching staff we supposedly have. Where are the adjustments, especially on offense? Who told Shottenheimer that it was a good idea to air it out with 7 minutes to play and a 4-point lead on the road?

I think the trap that some on message boards fall into is that they tend to zero in on the QB position and overlook the team/coaching game aspect of it. This is how the Warner vs Bulger and Bradford is great vs. Bradford sucks internet wars came to be. Now we have the Davis vs. Hill stuff happening here.

Again, as I've stated many times before, I have no problem with seeing what Shaun Hill has to offer and I also have no problem with Austin Davis continuing his baptism of fire for the rest of the season. It's not my call or yours. That's entirely on the Rams coaching staff. Whichever way they choose to go, I hope they're right and that we can win a few more games this season.
I guess you're right. Once I read Davis vs Hill I kinda realized it was a rather ridiculous argument lol.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Here are and have always been my problems with Austin Davis:

1) Is a scheme OB in terms of reads.... unless you design a play for a specific receiver the ball is always late.
2) Is a deer in the headlights/ Will NOT stand in the pocket and take a hit too complete a pass
3)Below average (NFL) arm... can not grive the ball from right side hash to the left side sidelines or vice versus or throw a deep out our in without getting a receiver torched.

He is what he is.... a marginal 3rd QB. Kenum is a marginal backup (#2) at best.

Rams will put a 4th to 5th round tender on him. Anything higher is a dream.

Ram's, unless FIsher is too stubborn, will play Hill ( we wont here about it until game time) against Denver and the rest of the year.

Next year... Rams restructure Bradford for around $10 M/ year , draft a QB (will not be bad enough to draft one of the top 3 QBS) in rounds 2-5) and sign a QB early in off season (my preference - J Freeman)

Your defense and special teams are finally ballin.... and you continue to play a ineffective QB.... why/

10 mil

nobody in the NFL would pay Bradford 10 million next year

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
10 mil

nobody in the NFL would pay Bradford 10 million next year
That is a bold statement. There are quite a few teams with a plethora or cap space that may want to try for a Sam Bradford. Raiders and Browns come to mind. And with the cap projected to increase over the next few years, I think someone would pull that trigger if Sam was on the open market.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I think the only way Davis gets benched is if he pulls a Geno Smith and throws three int in a quarter.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Read a very interesting article on how Chip Kelly designs his offense around the QB even if the QB changes. he plays to their strengths a reason why Sanchez is doing so well. Schottenheimer has zero ability to adapt or pretty much do anything besides come up with a handful of well scripted plays. he has actually increased the pass percentage this year while using a 4th string QB yet Fisher calls this a ground and pound offense. zero explanation for all of this. now politics and some ego will keep Davis at QB while this team struggles to even get 200 yards of offense a game. the only way anything changes this season is either a different QB or different OC

The offense last year was changed to Clemens skill set last year, which was completely different than Bradford's. Considering the Rams went 4-4 under Clemens, I'd say he did alright in adjusting the offense.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Just for a change, let's start the Garrett Gilbert vs. Case Keenum war.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Terrible decision by Fisher. Terrible. Should be Hill. Davis is regressing and doesn't have the arm.

RamBill

Legend

Fisher sticking with Davis at quarterback

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_96a08b19-ed02-5902-ab2a-607600aa83b5.html

It was another rough day at the office Sunday for Austin Davis — and he’s had a few of those lately. But coach Jeff Fisher said Monday he is not contemplating a quarterback change.

“No,” Fisher said, giving about as direct an answer as possible.

“He didn’t have his best half,” Fisher continued. “He missed some opportunities, he made a couple bad decisions. Said he had difficulty seeing at times. The last couple weeks, he’s thrown four interceptions, but we’re gonna hang in there (with him). He’s working real hard, so we’ll see where it goes.”

The problems for Davis in the Rams’ 31-14 loss to Arizona were more confined to the fourth quarter, when he completed only six of 16 throws for 70 yards and two interceptions. His passer rating for the quarter was 12.0.

The first of those interceptions was a badly underthrown deep ball to a wide-open Chris Givens that would’ve been a touchdown.

“I don’t really have an answer” for the interception, Davis said. “Don’t understand it; don’t know why it happened. We got the look we were looking for. I thought Chris ran a good route and won. ... Ball didn’t go where I wanted it.”

The second interception was thrown high to Kenny Britt but was catchable. It went off Britt’s hands and was returned for a score. Davis later lost a fumble while getting sacked and that ball was returned for a touchdown by Arizona.

So this season, six turnovers by Davis — four interceptions and two fumbles on sacks — have been returned for touchdowns. It’s bad enough to have a turnover. But a turnover for an opposing touchdown, well, that’s a recipe for defeat.

Even while giving Davis a vote of confidence, Fisher didn’t have many good things to say about his performance at University of Phoenix Stadium.

Was pass protection an issue Sunday, or was it a case of the quarterback holding on to the ball too long?

Fisher indicated it was mostly the latter.

“Now at times, give the defense credit,” he said. “There’s gonna be an unblocked rusher, and you have to get rid of the football. The quarterback’s gotta get rid of the football. He’s gotta see that.”

As an example, Fisher pointed to the 11-yard sack taken by Davis on third-and-11 from the Arizona 36 late in the third quarter.

“Austin, he can’t take a sack in field-goal range,” Fisher said. “You’ve gotta throw the ball away.”

But Fisher did concede that the pass protection wasn’t always there for Davis.

“We had a couple pass-rush ‘games’ where we got soft (in protection),” Fisher said. “But the ball has to come out.”

Were Sunday’s woes partly a case of Rams receivers not getting sufficient separation from defenders?

“We had opportunities,” Fisher said. “We had a number of opportunities for some significant catch and run opportunities.”

So after lighting it up in his first three starts with six TD passes, only two interceptions and a passer rating of 100.6, Davis has six TD passes, six interceptions and a rating of just 73.4 over his next five starts.

Three of those five starts have been on the road. And four of those five games have come against defenses ranked in the top 5. But those are not the kind of numbers you want at quarterback, particularly the turnover numbers.

The book on facing Austin may simply be to pressure him as much as possible, especially up the middle, making it harder for him to find throwing lanes.

“I mean the position’s hard to play,” Fisher said. “This (Arizona) defense has done this to a lot of quarterbacks. Good quarterbacks. But that’s part of playing the position.

“Sometimes you’re gonna have a hard Sunday as a quarterback. He’s disappointed in what’s happened but he’ll bounce back.”

When asked if Davis was getting frustrated, Fisher shot back: “Well, choose a better word. Frustrated? Yeah. Disappointed. Whatever. He’s not pleased with what happened yesterday, but he’ll bounce back.”

The fourth quarter of games has been particularly tough on Davis lately. Among NFL passers with enough playing time to qualify for the rankings, Davis is 35th in the league in fourth-quarter passing with a passer rating of just 68.1. His fourth-quarter numbers include a completion percentage of 57.7, with four TD passes and six interceptions.

Davis is far from an excuse-maker. He’s very honest in assessing his play, and knows he must play better.

“The thing I’m learning really quick is you can play well for 3½ quarters, but you have to play four,” he said. “You can’t have a single letdown. Right now I’m having those, and it’s costing our football team.”

And a bad habit that hampered his development and advancement with the Rams before this season — keeping his eyes on the pass rush instead of the receivers — has cropped up again.

If you play quarterback long enough in the league, you’re going to get blitzed and hit and buzzed in the pocket. The key is staying calm amid the chaos that’s often all around you in the pocket.

For example, the Rams had 17 quarterback pressures, 12 QB hits and three sacks against Arizona quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton — with most of that coming, of course, against Palmer before he was injured. Facing that kind of heat often is part of the job description at quarterback.

The Arizona blitz package had defenders coming from everywhere and different times, making it a tough chore for an inexperienced quarterback such as Davis.

“So just the ability to learn from this, and get your eyes downfield and not on the rush is something that I’ve got to do,” Davis said.

Rambition

Rookie
i wish he would have been so resolute about sticking with his QB when he said it about shaun hill.

Rambition

Rookie
We'll see where it goes.
i don't know about you, but i find that proclamation downright inspirational.
2011_07_23_bravespeech.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Finicky fandom 101...It's the nature of the beast...Like many things in life, it's instant gratification that folks are looking for...I think that's especially true when your team has sucked for about a decade or more...If Austin Davis were to do the unthinkable and direct a huge upset over the Broncos, the reaction here from his most vociferous detractors would be: "I knew it, he just needed some time..He IS the QB of the future after all"...Then the whole thng starts again the next Week...I'm right in the middle of the process of deciding what I think...I know what it is now, but I'd rather wait till the end of the year before my thoughts begin to be set in stone...

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ill tell you what happened on that first interception, Davis, your arm isnt strong enough... you cant say that I have been a finicky fan because I have never believed in Davis, he just isnt good enough. As a fan tired of losing I want the best chance to win and thats Hill.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I were Davis, I'd make sure I stretch those quads out good..,...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That is a bold statement. There are quite a few teams with a plethora or cap space that may want to try for a Sam Bradford. Raiders and Browns come to mind. And with the cap projected to increase over the next few years, I think someone would pull that trigger if Sam was on the open market.

the Browns have Hoyer who is playing pretty decent football right now and they just drafted Manziel with a first round pick. They aren't going to even think about Bradford........ even if it was 50 cents.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Not in guaranteed money, but with incentives? Could totally see it. And Im no fan of Sam
Teams that I think will be looking for help at QB that would consider Bradford:

Bengals, Texans, Jets, Buccaneers, Bills and Titans. That's assuming the Rams let him go, which I don't think will be the case. If he did go elsewhere, I could see him doing really well for the Bengals and/or Texans. Both of those teams have been just "a QB who can produce a little and not turn the ball over" away from making deep runs into the post season. Dalton, Schaub, Fitzpatrick and likely Mallet a'int it.