Austin Davis to Remain as QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not in guaranteed money, but with incentives? Could totally see it. And Im no fan of Sam

I concur IMO Bradford comes back at a reduced salary half of what he is supposed to get. However, not sure when he would be ready. But one would surmise he would be ready by training camp. Rams will draft a QB in the 1st round no doubt about it, however, I do think they will bring Bradford back and I think Sam will take a substantial cut to make it happen.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Bradford will be back and ready for the start of the season, he will have a full year before the sradon starts. No one can guarantee that he will stay healthy but if he does the rams will finally have a winning season.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I concur IMO Bradford comes back at a reduced salary half of what he is supposed to get. However, not sure when he would be ready. But one would surmise he would be ready by training camp. Rams will draft a QB in the 1st round no doubt about it, however, I do think they will bring Bradford back and I think Sam will take a substantial cut to make it happen.
When would his contract have to be re-done? I ask because if I'm Bradford I don't agree to anything until I see what the team does in the draft. And if he does re-structure to help the team, I doubt he'd do it for a one year deal. If he's going to lower his salary, I'd imagine he's going to want an extension.

When it all boils down, I think both sides stand pat. They've already factored in Bradford's contract and will give him one last chance to prove he can stay on the field. I know I'd rather they just bite the bullet on his last year rather than extend him before he shows that he can at least play for a year. Even then, it's going to be a risk moving forward but I'm not sure there are any realistic alternatives until 2016.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When would his contract have to be re-done? I ask because if I'm Bradford I don't agree to anything until I see what the team does in the draft. And if he does re-structure to help the team, I doubt he'd do it for a one year deal. If he's going to lower his salary, I'd imagine he's going to want an extension.

When it all boils down, I think both sides stand pat. They've already factored in Bradford's contract and will give him one last chance to prove he can stay on the field. I know I'd rather they just bite the bullet on his last year rather than extend him before he shows that he can at least play for a year. Even then, it's going to be a risk moving forward but I'm not sure there are any realistic alternatives until 2016.
I dont think it's a restructure. I think it will be a release. With all the obvious holes on this team, they need to exercize that cap savings of 13+ mill
I suppose its possible Sam is offered a restructure and if he declines he's released. Im pretty sure this needs to be done before the start of the new year, which is right after the Super Bowl? No way the Sam situation isnt settled by the draft.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I dont think it's a restructure. I think it will be a release. With all the obvious holes on this team, they need to exercize that cap savings of 13+ mill
I suppose its possible Sam is offered a restructure and if he declines he's released. Im pretty sure this needs to be done before the start of the new year, which is right after the Super Bowl? No way the Sam situation isnt settled by the draft.
But that's the thing, it isn't really a $13M savings. You have to subtract what you're going to have to spend on the next starter. Davis will be a RFA and Hill's on a 1 year deal this year so even if, God forbid, the Rams decided to just go with someone already on the roster they're going to have to cough up some money for next year's starter. I think $5M is the average salary for a starter right now so the Rams will actually be saving $8M by cutting Bradford. Which to me, isn't enough of a savings to completely start over at QB. Again.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I thought Hill would have been an upgrade from Clemons. Now I'm thinking that Clemons, limited as though he might have been in so many ways, was better than both Davis and Hill, and we just didn't realize how good we had it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The loss of Quick really hurt Davis.
Watching the last few games it's easy to see Davis slide.
I was thinking why don't they shorten the field, keep the plays in front of him, and stop running the Bradford routes. But that's wrong, if he's going to make it in the NFL it has to be with a full game plan.
So go Davis give it all you got.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Davis is not going to take this team anywhere. He has reverting back to his old self. He crumbles under pressure, makes terrible decisions, holds the ball way to long, his technic falls apart, etc... We need another QB.
Put Case Keenum in there and see what he can do. If not them why is he even on the team?
This sticking with Davis and Shott is madness.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I thought Hill would have been an upgrade from Clemons. Now I'm thinking that Clemons, limited as though he might have been in so many ways, was better than both Davis and Hill, and we just didn't realize how good we had it.
We only saw Hill in one regular game. But saying Clemons was better then Davis ain't saying much at all. "How good we had it" I don't think so.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I can deal with a QB who has limitations. They all do. But a QB has to play within his ability. So, I'd agree that Clemens would be an upgrade over Davis because he seemed to be at a point where he "usually" played within himself. Davis has not been doing that lately. His decision making has been shaky and he isn't taking what the defense gives him. QB sins 101.

rams2050

Starter
I shudder to think of Bradford back on the field. I worry that when -- not 'if,' but 'WHEN' -- he tears his ACL for the third time that it will affect his mobility for the rest of his young life.

That being said, I have never been down on Bradford. I think he could be a fantastic QB given the right resources, which he should have had this season.

We probably won't have Jake Long next year, and Brian Quick looks to have a very long and painful recuperation. If we can shore up the O-line either through the draft or free agency, maybe get Quick back up to speed, and get a good backup -- anyone know the contract status of Drew Stanton, perchance? (ha ha) -- I think we would be ready to roll.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's the thing, it isn't really a $13M savings. You have to subtract what you're going to have to spend on the next starter. Davis will be a RFA and Hill's on a 1 year deal this year so even if, God forbid, the Rams decided to just go with someone already on the roster they're going to have to cough up some money for next year's starter. I think $5M is the average salary for a starter right now so the Rams will actually be saving $8M by cutting Bradford. Which to me, isn't enough of a savings to completely start over at QB. Again.
I dont think either Hill or Davis would garner more than 1-2 mill per. As for a FA? Dont think anyone is out there but even if its a 5m salary, but if its a 2-3 year deal, the cap hit likely wont be 5mill
I could see a straight up release, and a 2-3 year deal with low base high incentives and a cap hit of 3-4 mill for Sam. If he goes elsewhere, so be it. Taking a full 16.5 mill hit for him, knowing he may not be ready is just unfair to the rest of the team. Too many other holes to fill. And they cant keep filling them with rookies

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has ClemEns done something in San Diego that makes you think that? Because Hill hasnt had the opportunity to prove that you were either right or wrong. I still think Hill would have played well, probably not as good as Davis did in his first few games, but better than Davis played in his last 4

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My fear is that sticking with Davis means the offense will be scaled back yet again. Davis wowed everybody when he was playing gunslinger out there. Reining him in (again) is tantamount to reining in Brett Favre. That's just not the kind of QBs they are. And no, I'm not comparing the two QBs as equals. Just their playing style. Davis seems to play with more confidence when he's focusing on the high reads instead of the low reads. We all know that Brett Favre threw a ton of picks, but he also threw a ton of TDs. It's a trade-off that you just have to accept. Making him play it safe, or tone it down, doesn't open up the part of his playing style that capitalizes on deep shots - and subsequently - more scores.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
i wish he would have been so resolute about sticking with his QB when he said it about shaun hill.
There was really no way he could have been. At all.

Yes, Davis is struggling now, but he was playing so well earlier that people would have been calling for Fisher's head if Hill was put back in. Hill simply doesn't have the type of ceiling Davis was demonstrating earlier. If he did, we would have known that long before the Rams ever signed him.

WoodsideRam

Rookie
I’d be worried about losing the team at some point. If he has another two pick game I think Fisher hooks him. It’s a fine line. You say you don’t want to hurt his confidence by pulling him. But you can also damage his confidence by keeping him in there as well.
Austin’s answers during the press conference concern me. He sounds like his confidence is shaken a bit. The part that worried me was when he said he has to keep his eyes down field more. I’ve always felt like that’s something you either have or you don’t. Warner had that inner calm with bodies flying at him. Maybe the “Kill Kurt” drill he experienced in high school helped him develop that trait.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My fear is that sticking with Davis means the offense will be scaled back yet again. Davis wowed everybody when he was playing gunslinger out there. Reining him in (again) is tantamount to reining in Brett Favre. That's just not the kind of QBs they are. And no, I'm not comparing the two QBs as equals. Just their playing style. Davis seems to play with more confidence when he's focusing on the high reads instead of the low reads. We all know that Brett Favre threw a ton of picks, but he also threw a ton of TDs. It's a trade-off that you just have to accept. Making him play it safe, or tone it down, doesn't open up the part of his playing style that capitalizes on deep shots - and subsequently - more scores.

Love this post

From wikipedia:
Atlanta Falcons (1991)
Favre was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons in the second round, 33rd overall in the 1991 NFL Draft.[20] On July 19, 1991, Favre agreed to a three-year, $1.4 million contract with a reported signing bonus of $350,000.[21] Atlanta coach Jerry Glanville did not approve of the drafting of Favre, saying it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game.[22] Favre's first pass in an NFL regular season game resulted in an interception returned for a touchdown.[23] He only attempted four passes in his career at Atlanta, was intercepted twice, and completed none of them. Favre took one other snap, which resulted in a sack for an eleven-yard loss.[7]

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Can't see the Rams signing a future starter free agent QB. Any long term Qb on the market you would want asa starter will start in the 7+ range for 2yrs (and that would be really low o9r high risk...think Fitz-and honestly he was not a long term QB but a high end filler). That gets you filler for a draft pick to prepare that guy will cost you $2-5 mil depending on pick (#1 will be closer to 5). The fact is even if you keep SB you still draft a QB (maybe go as low as 2nd=$1mil). So the drafted QB is a cost you do not avoid keeping SB. Also with Sb you needa solid backup - not justa 2-4 game filler, buta guy you are willing to go a season with (the same sort you pick up if you drafta QB and let Sb go).

So either way you have the draft guy and the filler guy cost - keeping Sam does not change that. You have to restructure SB cause $13mil cap hit for an "if" is just not viable.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Have the defenses caught up to what Davis and the Rams were doing when he was having some success or have the Rams reigned him in? Maybe it isn't an either/or question but if it's the latter, shame on the coaching.

The whole point in naming Davis the starter and saying he would remain so was to give him confidence but the way he's playing lately is anything but confident so if that indecisiveness is stemming from him being told not to make mistakes, then I'm really disappointed in this staff. Because he's missing stuff now that he was completing before.