Austin Davis to Remain as QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Can't see the Rams signing a future starter free agent QB. Any long term Qb on the market you would want asa starter will start in the 7+ range for 2yrs (and that would be really low o9r high risk...think Fitz-and honestly he was not a long term QB but a high end filler). That gets you filler for a draft pick to prepare that guy will cost you $2-5 mil depending on pick (#1 will be closer to 5). The fact is even if you keep SB you still draft a QB (maybe go as low as 2nd=$1mil). So the drafted QB is a cost you do not avoid keeping SB. Also with Sb you needa solid backup - not justa 2-4 game filler, buta guy you are willing to go a season with (the same sort you pick up if you drafta QB and let Sb go).

So either way you have the draft guy and the filler guy cost - keeping Sam does not change that. You have to restructure SB cause $13mil cap hit for an "if" is just not viable.
But restructuring likely means extending. Are you allowing for that in your hypothetical?

I don't really see a blue-chipper in this draft so long term, I'm not seeing any solutions for the Rams at QB in this draft or FA. It is a very weak year for QB's from what I can see. Burning a first rounder on a desperation, longshot college QB isn't good planning IMO. Extending Bradford is also not long term planning. Extending and restructuring his deal is short term relief, specifically the hit the Rams will take in 2015. But it's my belief they've already factored his last year into their plans so it's much better all around to just take that one year hit, see if he can stay healthy, see if this offense can get this team to the playoffs, see if this regime is going to get this all turned around.

Otherwise, it's time to push the reset button again and I think it's a year too soon for that. They all get 2015 - true "make or break" for more than just Bradford. Regrettably, I don't see how they're going to make it. The offense just doesn't click unless all the stars are aligned. There never seems to be a "next man up". When the Rams get an injury it just destabilizes the delicate balance that they're trying to survive on. Which leads me to believe that the scheme is a big part of the problem. It takes too long to learn, is too dependent on perfection to consistently execute and is hamstrung if backups have to play any significant playing time.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
You think Davis will be on a short leash if he plays bad this Sunday? Does he "have to look over his shoulder" now?

Who knows for sure?....but I don't think so.
IMHO Fisher knows they are not going anywhere this year, so why not see what AD has in the tank?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the only way Davis gets benched is if he pulls a Geno Smith and throws three int in a quarter.
aww, man...he was pretty close last week...

He sounds like his confidence is shaken a bit. The part that worried me was when he said he has to keep his eyes down field more. I’ve always felt like that’s something you either have or you don’t.
I think it's a trait you lose from consistent pressure....Seems like the more he plays, gets hit the worse he seems to be able to find secondary targets...He missed some check downs last week that were ridiculous....