As someone unimpressed with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This game still doesn't change my opinion of him. I always said that this preseason was actually very important for him to make some progress. It's very encouraging to see him do that. The one thing that's a little bit concerning to me is that he has faced any adversity yet this year to truly gage where he is at. McVay and co and keeping it very safe with both of their QBs it makes me think if that's going to be their game plan in the season too.

What I mean by that is they have Goff setup for easy completions WRs running free one read pitch and catch on slants. To me those are manufactured tds in essence he is managing the game the way the coaches want him take the underneath completion then attempt a shot downfield.

Overall I didn't judge Goff last year off of his preseason performance and I'm not going to do it this year. It's definitely important for him to continue to succeed and make it happen because as we see those short passes can turn into 20 yard gains with the weapons he now has. One thing that I did notice was that McVay is incorporating a lot of things he did at Cal and I think that's why Goff is getting more comfortable

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Saw what I saw last year from him - but he seems to be more accurate. Last year, what I saw was a guy who wasn't afraid to take chances and who has a naturally good 'feel' for the pocket and for pressure. Now, he sometimes made the wrong decision, the wrong read or just got his feet wrong and it meant his accuracy were off on times, but those are natural for a young passer. On multiple occasions I remember him feeling a collapsing pocket and spinning to get away, but then he'd think he was Russell Wilson and thought he was fast enough to escape - which he isn't a good enough athlete to do. So he's learning. He's got all the natural talent. If it comes together he could be really, really good and looked it against the Raiders.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
This game still doesn't change my opinion of him. I always said that this preseason was actually very important for him to make some progress. It's very encouraging to see him do that. The one thing that's a little bit concerning to me is that he has faced any adversity yet this year to truly gage where he is at. McVay and co and keeping it very safe with both of their QBs it makes me think if that's going to be their game plan in the season too.

What I mean by that is they have Goff setup for easy completions WRs running free one read pitch and catch on slants. To me those are manufactured tds in essence he is managing the game the way the coaches want him take the underneath completion then attempt a shot downfield.

Overall I didn't judge Goff last year off of his preseason performance and I'm not going to do it this year. It's definitely important for him to continue to succeed and make it happen because as we see those short passes can turn into 20 yard gains with the weapons he now has. One thing that I did notice was that McVay is incorporating a lot of things he did at Cal and I think that's why Goff is getting more comfortable

I think you meant to put this here:

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/the-goff-excuse-thread-competition.50583/page-3#post-930137

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know how the Goff/Wentz comparisons will end up. All I know if the Goff I saw last night and last week looked like a quarterback comfortable with the offense. The rhythm and flow of the offense just looks so much better than anytime I watched him last season.

Ram65

Legend
Goff checked a lot of boxes. Improvement each year in college demonstrated his ability to learn, adapt, and succeed, especially on a weak team. He carried his team on his back.

His pocket awareness has always been very good in college. If it wasn't he would have had no success behind a weak O line. He extended plays under pressure by moving to evade pass rushers and keeping his eyes downfield looking for an open receiver.

He has a very quick release which indicates a good brain to muscle connection, or synapse. Plus he was accurate.

All very good points Elm.

I liked his footwork and how he stayed connected in stride with that quick release. Nice deep ball and good touch too. He showed some glimpses of his potential last year.This is one game against a poor secondary but, it looked great.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It does for me.

Or rather, reinforces what I thought he could be. Sure, smart play calling helped him to be successful as did all of the new weapons around him..as did a good LT that we haven't had since Big O. He showed what guys with heart always tried to do, like Case Keenum, who just didn't have the natural ability to do....He had a rythm/timing those guys couldn't duplicate and throwing talent to make the defense pay. Yes, it's only preseason, but when did we see anything like the Jared Goff last year, that we saw last night? When last year did you see Gurley look like the absolute beast, that you saw last night? When last year did you see multiple wr's that the QB could reliably throw to?

You DID see a guy that went 1-11 as as kid out of high school/freshman in college get absolutely murdered in an offense with no offensive line, turn that franchise around into a winning team by his junior year. THAT showed mental toughness. Last year he got killed for a lot of different reasons, but the kid has guts and the ability to stand in the pocket (when it's provided to him) and throw a strike. Mack absolutely crushed him last night, but he said "freak that", and wasn't affected mentally in an EXCELLENT performance. I look forward to real games so you and others, can believe.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I said yesterday, biggest game of goff's life....why....the Raiders are a defense he HAS to shred....for me at least. But
Is there anyone else?
too soon my man...but....BUT finally headed in the right direction...I wanna see a real DEFENSE...like AZ...or...those damn seahawks....
Just as it was way too early to be writing him off it is way too early to declare him anything.
No premature encomium.
exactly....but baby steps are always better than crawling....I right there/here with you...too soon but damn encouraging.

whoever came up with it.
OH SHIT...FORGOT YOUR POINT....AHAHAHAH... give me a sec. oh yeah
It was the Dickerson thing that really got him fired after that horrible outing. The team quit on him.
It was ED, Gurley...and that putrid:puke: offense that got the ball rolling...Gurley saved us....middle school offense saved my life....think the song....last night a DJ saved my life...that's what it was Soul Surfer....and so right, so ram!(y):yess:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It does for me.

Or rather, reinforces what I thought he could be. Sure, smart play calling helped him to be successful as did all of the new weapons around him..as did a good LT that we haven't had since Big O. He showed what guys with heart always tried to do, like Case Keenum, who just didn't have the natural ability to do....He had a rythm/timing those guys couldn't duplicate and throwing talent to make the defense pay. Yes, it's only preseason, but when did we see anything like the Jared Goff last year, that we saw last night? When last year did you see Gurley look like the absolute beast, that you saw last night? When last year did you see multiple wr's that the QB could reliably throw to?

You DID see a guy that went 1-11 as as kid out of high school/freshman in college get absolutely murdered in an offense with no offensive line, turn that franchise around into a winning team by his junior year. THAT showed mental toughness. Last year he got killed for a lot of different reasons, but the kid has guts and the ability to stand in the pocket (when it's provided to him) and throw a strike. Mack absolutely crushed him last night, but he said "freak that", and wasn't affected mentally in an EXCELLENT performance. I look forward to real games so you and others, can believe.
The first half of the saints game

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Goff's big Test will come next week, vs the Chargers, they have a good "D" and have scrimmaged against us twice and it will be for L.A. Bragging Right's!(y):D

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Goff's big Test will come next week, vs the Chargers, they have a good "D" and have scrimmaged against us twice and it will be for L.A. Bragging Right's!(y):D
I have no illusions about our defense being staffed by a lot of back ups due to McVay's caution, will probably give up a lot of points to Phillip Rivers who is borderline HOFer material. I just want to see sustained excellence by this offense, AND NO ONE GET HURT!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Will he? Lol
I believe so....Why? $9 millions reasons, and we have no dead money to Woods past 2017---at least that is how I understand it. I am sure I am wrong...just like I was about Zach Wiegert at guard...

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The one thing that made me want Goff over Wentz was his pocket awareness and ability to get out of the pocket and still make plays in college. He was a master of that at Cal and he ran for his life often from all the tape I watched. Now that he is in an nfl offense and has good teachers around him i think we'll start to see the game slow down for him a bit which will let his natural instincts take over in the pocket. McVay is going to make this kid a star.
Exactly...how soon, I don't know.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
What I witnessed in last night's game (on TV ) was exactly what I was expecting when I scouted him long before we traded up to the no.1 spot to draft him. Actually he looked great in(1st preseason game, 2017) a much smaller sample size. That being said I know he is work in progress. .. he will have bad days.... but he may have much better days than today. ..
True he hasn't faced any adversity yet... and that will be the test... but at least our talent level now on offense and our offensive system are now in the same ball part as Dallas and Philly. .. he will have a better chance of working through it.... and come out a better qb for it. And like Dave said.... it will be interesting to see how he fairs against the Chargers who have a good defense and are familiar with Goff and McVays offense. .....I look forward to it....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I believe so....Why? $9 millions reasons, and we have no dead money to Woods past 2017---at least that is how I understand it. I am sure I am wrong...just like I was about Zach Wiegert at guard...

Thomas looked good against their scrubs it's not hard to do from a professional aspect. If he does make the team it's because of his ST Gunner abilities not because he's a stud at wr.
Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to put down, I hope he blows up and becomes the next A Boldin. I just don't see it happening.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think the right equation for Goff is/has been.... the addition of McVay, whose offense allows Goff to use his abilities. The arrival of Whitworth and Sullivan who with our holdovers Safford and Havenstein gives Goff time to go through progressions (yeah, I'm not sold on Brown yet.....) and our interesting group of receivers which gives him a variety of looks depending on the situation. Oh......and Cooper Kupp, which looks like the steal of the draft at this point......
Now there's a long ways to go.....but that is quite a bit to be positive about.