As someone unimpressed with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I've never hid my thoughts on Goff and what I believe will be of his career.

That said...

I find myself seeing some great pocket awareness, I keep telling myself "damn, that was a nice throw" or "good decision"

He has found a blanket with Kupp...that ball to Sammy in the end zone was spot on, Watkins just didn't see it.

So I will say, if he is able to keep this up, I will gladly eat my crow. I think this offense is going to be exciting.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Good to hear it from you @Juggs .. :grouphug:

Is there anyone else?

There is plenty of room but not much time left until the season starts

B-9283coCgcl.gif

Rams-vs-LA-Raiders-8-19-17.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Just as I think it was way too early to write off or be down in Goff I think it is to early to announce his arrival as a great NFL QB.
He is young and learning. The season will have ups and downs. I am sure there will moments or games of regression.
Last night was great in that it showed the progress being reported by coaches was a real thing.
I think Goff is going to be good. He has shown he has the physical ability and can make the throws. Now, the heavy lifting of being consistent and prepared week in and week out. During practice last week, when all the pics happened, he said he was pressing it to see how far things could go in certain plays. Despite the stupid press being in a tizzy over it Inthought it was positive. It means he understands at least those parts of the passing game well....he was experimenting within the plays. That in turn, to me anyway, means it is slowing down for him. Lots of positives.
I just hope when the bad pic, game or even series of games happens for Goff people can keep it in check.
Every bad game doesn't mean he's a bust and needs to be replaced. Every great games doesn't mean he is Aaron Rogers.
Just as it was way too early to be writing him off it is way too early to declare him anything.
No premature encomium.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
if he is able to keep this up, I will gladly eat my crow.

Way to man up.
And it's a good idea to man up early. :D

Now let's see if all these goofy talking heads looking for clickbait can do the same.
( doubtful )

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
what I saw was a very good QB

train
I have never seen a quarterback put into such a bad position as Goff was last year.

A Rookie transitioning from the spread.

Horrid O line.
No dependable or primary receivers.
Gurley shut down/gave up.
Exhausted defense.

Funny how all that changed. :D

I'm sure there will still be some rough outings but I also predict a preview of the successful future.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Excellent thread @Juggs and I too had serious doubts about Goff as last year I saw nothing in preseason and albeit the Saint game notwithstanding nothing in the regular season as well. I also even gave the kid a hard time with his verbiage and native intelligence as well, as many posters on the board had to talk me off the ledge.

Anyway what my hope under the new regime was to see growth and the ability to command an offense and actually take snaps under center and so far McVay and company have been exactly what the Doctor ordered for this franchise and Jared Thomas Goff.

The Los Angeles Rams have played two playoff teams and were on the road last night and hats off to OL Coach Aaron Kromer as well because his unit came together last night too, which gave Goff the confidence to lead the team to three scores and the TD to Kupp was absolutely amazing. Goff is growing and is showcasing command of the huddle and leadership as well.

I realize Goff still has a long way to go, but I believe the Rams are headed in the right direction and they have a field general that can get us to drink from the silver cup and take that highway to the sky.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think anyone can be sure about any college QB coming from a spread offense, which is nearly all of them nowadays. There will always be questions and a big adjustment period in the NFL.

So all we can do is look at parts of a college QBs game and his college success and see if we can check the boxes in areas that cannot be taught and are seen in elite NFL QBs.

Goff checked a lot of boxes. Improvement each year in college demonstrated his ability to learn, adapt, and succeed, especially on a weak team. He carried his team on his back.

His pocket awareness has always been very good in college. If it wasn't he would have had no success behind a weak O line. He extended plays under pressure by moving to evade pass rushers and keeping his eyes downfield looking for an open receiver.

He has a very quick release which indicates a good brain to muscle connection, or synapse. Plus he was accurate.

Goff has traits that can't be taught. He checked some of the most important boxes. This is how we have to evaluate spread QBs. Goff has a core of very good traits. The only questions were slight build,since corrected by a nutritionist. Midfield accuracy that was likely a footwork problem. And never having played under center.

Goff has enough strong traits to make me believe he has elite QB potential. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I never understood what people didn't like about him. I never heard anyone site traits of his that were convincing enough to even consider changing my opinion.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The things that boded well for Goff this year are that he wasn't out there long enough last year to get shell shocked by being sacked and harassed all the time.
It also allowed him, ( or reminded him of ) the flip side of failure.

Then scrapping Fisher for all of the offensive minds was a brilliant move, whoever came up with it.
Be it Snead Demoff Kroenke or whoever.

Last edited:

bdfitz

UDFA
I was a Wentz guy. Liked them both but saw the safer bet in Wentz. Still, I've been right in Goff's corner. The last 2 weeks have shown huge improvement and it takes both coaching & committment. He looks extemely confident and torched what is supposed to be one of NFL's best Defenses. If this continues he'll win enough games to win over the critics. Gurley is back! With Watkins and crew the potential is crazy. Every year, there are teams everyone expects great things of on your schedule that flop. The schedule is not as hard when you feel you can win every game. Goff got rocked early and came back to sting the Raiders. 116 QBR? Oh....yeah!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

That said...

I find myself seeing some great pocket awareness, I keep telling myself "damn, that was a nice throw" or "good decision"

He has found a blanket with Kupp...that ball to Sammy in the end zone was spot on, Watkins just didn't see it.

So I will say, if he is able to keep this up, I will gladly eat my crow. I think this offense is going to be exciting.
Watkins right arm was tugged down and released just as the ball flew into him. DOesn't mean he would have caught it....but, it was PI.

Also, the O line was incredible in Pass Pro--that won't be happening so often....so, I am a bit on hold about the offense being very good until I see that. I don't change my mind on Goff--decisive and accurate. Gurley, Watkins, Kupp and Everett are a nice 4 headed monster that very few teams have!

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The things that boded well for Goff this year are that he wasn't out there long enough last year to get shell shocked by being sacked and harassed all the time.
It also allowed him, ( or reminded him of ) the flip side of failure.

Then scrapping Fisher for all of the offensive minds was a brilliant move, whoever came up with it.
Be it Snead Demoff Kroenke or whoever.

Fisher ?? It was the Dickerson thing that really got him fired after that horrible outing. The team quit on him.

It was Demoff who fired him !! He was loyal up until that point. He is a PR guy.
If Fisher was to stay another game things would have got really ugly !!
Your talking years without football &
A coach forgetting the history of the Franchise!!! He was died in the water.
Sharks were starting to taste blood !!

Demoff did the right thing & gave a deserving hardworking coach a shot.
Fassels was way over his head , but was a positive influence to a young team.

Demoff has his hand on everything. He kept true to Snead , but also put him on notice. McVay is Excellent at trusting his staff , and evaluator.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Jared-Goff-Highlights-Against-the-Raiders/f7701df2-4665-4cca-ad09-71c16636c66d

He's clearly talented, and anyone who 'studied' him before last year's draft could see that. I, too, was a Wentz guy, but only because it was the way this offense was headed under Fisher. Now it's clear that they have the right QB under the current system, so it's nice how that all worked out. The ONLY question that remains for me is how he handles live action when it counts and when defenses are nutting up against him. In other words, don't Sam Bradford me, Jared. Take this preseason talent and parlay it into regular season success.

I'll say this also - albeit it slightly unrelated. When the 2nd string O-line started rolling in while Jared was still in there, I was encouraged by how the playcalling changed accordingly. Not nearly as many longer developing routes, more quick strikes, screens, etc. I think we're long overdue for some luck in that regard as well. Let's all pray to our deity of choice that the O-line stays healthy for an entire season for a change so that we can maximize our offensive potential.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

That said...

I've heard this is a good recipe.
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/tf91k37n/smothered-crow.html

SMOTHERED CROW
Goff hatres learn that the crow as well as being an exclusive target, are good to eat. Young birds are best.
In a skillet, fry a clove of garlic in bacon fat. Remove. Roll bird in flour and season with salt and pepper. Place in a skillet, brown on both sides, cover and occasionally add a bit of water. Cook until tender. Season with H.P. Sauce or Worcestershire sauce. Serve.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
The one thing that made me want Goff over Wentz was his pocket awareness and ability to get out of the pocket and still make plays in college. He was a master of that at Cal and he ran for his life often from all the tape I watched. Now that he is in an nfl offense and has good teachers around him i think we'll start to see the game slow down for him a bit which will let his natural instincts take over in the pocket. McVay is going to make this kid a star.