As someone unimpressed with Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Oh my , I love these large containers of kool-aid. After last year I was convinced I would never drink from that fountain again . But here I am.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I was a Wentz guy, but felt w/ it and moved on after the draft. His sweet movement in the pocket while keeping looking "down field" is really exciting. Won't see me hate'n ...

Side note: Only guy I;m hate'n on is Austin. Simply because he hasn't improved his route running imho and his hands are avg.

Bring on the season

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How could anyone have rational opinions about any of our recent past QBs (Bradford, Clemens, Davis, Foles, Keenum, etc.) and now Goff, when they were propped behind porous O-Lines and surrounded with limited talent to work with?

It started back with Bulger . Linehan had a line that had so many injuries. He had to deal with cap issues with Pace, Holt, & Bruce. I'm sure he still regrets how The Rams got rid of Bruuuce.
-- Bulger was gun shy , but took so many hits. The offensive line has been crap ever since. The way the front office tried to build it was pure crap .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well one is a proven commodity and the other is a proving himself commodity.

My take was this before The game. As a NFL(Ram) for years I always like to have a view on QB's of the future.

So my take on Jared Goff is this from a team(Rams) stand point , looking ahead to the future.

Carson Wentz was drafted 2 & Dak is the stud of the class so far. With that said.

Goff IMO is comparable to Andy Dalton .
His future way bright. His cap number is solid because of the new NFL rookie cap for a number one player.

I would really like to hear from Whitworth on his comparisons on the 2 players right when the season is starting.

That said I can't wait until Sammy gets comfortable & Tavon Austin gets implemented into the offense.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Have you guys considered starting your own David Hasselhoff OP and sparing the rest of us? :D
I will bring that up at the next Hasselhoff fan club meeting or I
guess I can ask Mr Hasselhoff next he speaks to me telepathically.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Thomas looked good against their scrubs it's not hard to do from a professional aspect. If he does make the team it's because of his ST Gunner abilities not because he's a stud at wr.
Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to put down, I hope he blows up and becomes the next A Boldin. I just don't see it happening.
I gotcha......he has a bit of explosiion and deception when he runs a pattern. He will play in this league....Pharoah Coopler and Spruce are 5th-6th WRs for most every team. MIke Thomas can replace a starter and bring some professional level pattern running that will scare DBs....where as Cooper and Spruce need schemes to get 12+ yards downfield.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I mean by that is they have Goff setup for easy completions WRs running free one read pitch and catch on slants.

And what's wrong with that? I've been waiting 8 years for this to happen for the rams qb. I would watch other games and see how easy many completions were for other qbs then watch the rams have trouble making 1 completion. I love the fact the rams finally have coaches that make things easier for the qb.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I'm really excited about our draft picks, the whole new look offense, and the play calling.
...but this team will only go as far as Goff takes them.
We saw what he is capable of this last game. Can he do that consistently? Man I hope so, because he does, the Rams are finally going back to the playoffs.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Call me a Goff skeptic who's definitely encouraged. He will absolutely be fed roll-outs and other plays that limit his reads cause that's what you do with rookies (6 games last year does not a season make).

I worried that he'd look exactly like last year and am now encouraged that he won't... I hope he takes some major steps this year but don't assume he won't need to be babied somewhat by a robust run game and a simplified passing game at times. In fact, if he can succeed with that, I'll consider this year a success!

TexasRam

Legend
When the Goff/Wentz debates started heating up I watched all the game tape on both guys. My conclusion was Wentz would be a better short term for the Fisher offense but Goff has by far the superior pocket passer and projected as a possible Elite level NFL QB.

In my heart I wanted Goff and when they announced the pick I had a sigh of relief. But the first words out of my mouth were we need to fire Fisher now and bring in a real offensive mind. I thought if Fisher stayed on we would ruin Goff like many other talented QB's have been.

Many on this board agreed that Goff has all the tools needed but Fisher needed to go or he will ruin him. We are now seeing the fruition of what a huge group of us could easily see, that Goff could be a great QB but only with a new coach and offensive system.

It didn't take much for Kroenke to also see what a mismatch his investment in this overall #1 pick was with Jeff Fisher. And no disrespect to Fisher. He is a solid DC. But he's also a stubborn head coach that wants ball control and Eddie George ball.

Now Enter Mcvay who targets Whitworth, Sullivan, Everett and Kupp with the few dollars and picks he has to surround Goff. And Snead pulls a Sammy Watkins out of his butt.

The Overhall is in one year pretty impressive in Goff's favor and we are now able to see what he can do with some surrounding cast and protection. Our only weakness is lack of depth at Oline. We are maybe one or two injuries away from being back to suckage. If they stay healthy we will see great things. If I am Snead and Co. I try to make one more move for a proven O-lineman, I need at least a proven swing tackle vet in case the injuries start piling up.

RamsFan47

Rookie
Some post game thoughts:
It's been quite awhile since I've been this excited for a Rams team to get the season started. Is it just hope? My wife would just tell me I'm like this "every year".. is this year going to be any different? Most likely..
Why?
The answer: BOSS BABY
Sean Mcvay has put his stamp all over this franchise. You could argue that a half of a pre-season game is no indication of real change. I get ya. It isn't, but what I saw on Saturday was a shocker! Receivers running WIDE OPEN, Gurley and the line doing their best Terrel Davis impression. POWER.
Mcvay just opened it up a bit in Oakland. Pushed the gas a little bit.
These are not the "four pillars", "the team no one want to play", three yards and a cloud of dust Rams teams I've been so accustomed to.
I can't wait to see what the Boss Baby has in store for The rest of the division.
Can't wait for Wade to get his whole D on the field together.
Cant wait for this season to start.
Most likely it's going to be a good one..

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And what's wrong with that? I've been waiting 8 years for this to happen for the rams qb. I would watch other games and see how easy many completions were for other qbs then watch the rams have trouble making 1 completion. I love the fact the rams finally have coaches that make things easier for the qb.

I never said nothing was wrong with that just pointing out the differences from last year and the previous years

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Preseason isn't a gauge for how a players NFL career will go. Like teams going 4-0 in the preseason and then going 1-15 when it counts.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. But I'm relatively optimistic knowing that our preseason vanilla offense does a better job in moving the ball on offense than Jeff Fisher's regular season offense.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Preseason isn't a gauge for how a players NFL career will go. Like teams going 4-0 in the preseason and then going 1-15 when it counts.
It feels different with McVay though. We could go 4-0 in preseason and still have a decent year (8-8). We're not showing everything on offense (Gurley lining up outside, TA, plays to free up a bomb, TE seam routes, etc.) or defense (no exotic blitzes, corner blitzes, shaded/partial zone coverages, etc.).

Always thought Wentz didn't have much more room for a ceiling and Goff had the potential for greatness. Wentz could be an all pro a few years, but Goff could be a virtual all pro lock with experience.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It feels different with McVay though. We could go 4-0 in preseason and still have a decent year (8-8). We're not showing everything on offense (Gurley lining up outside, TA, plays to free up a bomb, TE seam routes, etc.) or defense (no exotic blitzes, corner blitzes, shaded/partial zone coverages, etc.).

Always thought Wentz didn't have much more room for a ceiling and Goff had the potential for greatness. Wentz could be an all pro a few years, but Goff could be a virtual all pro lock with experience.

maybe so. No matter what I'm going to be guarded this season until proven otherwise.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No matter what I'm going to be guarded this season until proven otherwise.
I was gonna be guarded this year. Maybe even skeptical.
But fuggit. I won't be any less of a man if I turn out to be wrong again.
Takes big balls to drive the bandwagon, don'tcha know.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I was gonna be guarded this year. Maybe even skeptical.
But fuggit. I won't be any less of a man if I turn out to be wrong again.
Takes big balls to drive the bandwagon, don'tcha know.
I can respect that

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last night was great in that it showed the progress being reported by coaches was a real thing.

I'm not able to watch pre-season but I did re-up for The Ticket.

Based on some of the clips I've seen in this thread, not just Goff... the entire offense looks twice as effective.

Yeah, it's pre-season and these are the "highlights"... but under Fisher? There was maybe one "highlight".

Cautiously optimistic that this coaching staff has what it takes to get the most out of Goff, and the rest of the offense.