Any Musicians Here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, and say hello to him for me a fellow musician. Like Rams fans we have to stick together. ;)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thanks! He has a damn good voice. I mean real good. He's playing the Ovation round-back on the acoustic songs.

The Gretsch Country Gentleman is worth around $3,000 easy and the Fender Twin around the same price depending on age and condition. I'm guessing however that you can't put a price on something passed down from her dad, and those instruments are not leaving the house ever.

Thanks man. Pretty proud of that boy. He does some pretty cool things with vocals to make the songs his own. And aside from about 5 guitar lessons, he is totally self taught. He also plays the flute, piano, and violin. Now he's using it in different ways as a freshman at U of O. Let's just say he's having a pretty good college experience. Sure wish I had learned the guitar before going off to school.:sneaky:

Got that right about the guitar and amp. They are both in very good shape. The Gretsch is something that will never leave the family. Becky used to sneak out of her room to watch her dad's band practice in the shop. She never saw him play the Banjoline so I don't know that it carries the same sentimental value but it ain't getting out of here either.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

This is my dad.
He performs at local bars threw out Columbus, Ohio he plays Blues, Reggae with his band Seen Tru, and takes requests usually from drunk people and plays em haha

Awesome man. Gonna go check out his channel.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"Sure wish I had learned the guitar before going off to school"

It's never too late. ;)

The 62 Gibson 12-string I have should probably be retired. It looks like me, with cracks and wrinkles and goes out of tune too often. Back in 97 I was playing on a praise and worship team in this church I was attending, and this man came up to me and asked if I would be interested in playing this guitar he had in his closet since he was a kid. This turned out to be the Gibson 12-string. He had no idea of it's rarity and worth. It didn't even have a case, poor thing. So I gave it a good home. :)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A

It's never too late. ;)

The 62 Gibson 12-string I have should probably be retired. It looks like me, with cracks and wrinkles and goes out of tune too often. Back in 97 I was playing on a praise and worship team in this church I was attending, and this man came up to me and asked if I would be interested in playing this guitar he had in his closet since he was a kid. This turned out to be the Gibson 12-string. He had no idea of it's rarity and worth. It didn't even have a case, poor thing. So I gave it a good home. :)
Actually, I cut off my finger tips on my left hand in a food processor a little over a year ago. Yeah - I'm a dumbass. Lucky Paulie actually got to see the pictures. I think my guitar playing days are over. Oh - and I'm married for 27 years now so impressing chicks with my guitar prowess holds a little less import these days. :cool: Well... a little less. :sneaky:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's never too late. ;)

Mighty nice of you.;)

Speaking of old things. I had the chance to see Les Paul at the Iridium in NY about 10 years ago. I jumped at the chance. He was pretty amazing even if you don't factor in that he was 90. Here I am getting an autographed cd for my brother.
Stu with Les Paul.jpg

And here's one of Les on stage shreddin' it.
Les Paul Jammin 2.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

This is my dad.
He performs at local bars threw out Columbus, Ohio he plays Blues, Reggae with his band Seen Tru, and takes requests usually from drunk people and plays em haha

Wow. That was really good.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Awesome!!! Absolutely admired Les Paul. He was the first to do multi-track recording, where you could record yourself and then record your next part while listening to the first one without erasing it (explaining this in case someone here doesn't know how that works). My first recorder was a Teac 3340S reel to reel. This must have been around the mid-seventies.

Have you ever heard the story of Toni Iommi, the Black Sabbath guitarist? He cut off his fingertips. I used to think about that during the days when I worked as a machinist.

PhxRam

This is a song a couple of buddies of mine put together back in high school. As life would have it, they went their separate ways and did their own thing. Its a shame, I always liked this song they wrote. Sorry for the crappy quality, it seems this was the only garage recording.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=1383424

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cool stuff. Not sure I am up to the challenge though and I don't think I'll be buying any guitar companies in the near future. One of my fingers is a wee bit shorter these days.

2012-09-17_16-34-56_752.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ozzy would be proud. It sounds a bit clearer on hi-fi.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah. Not one of my prouder days. I was shredding cabbage and not using the plastic pusher thing like I require my guys to use. Never thought my fingers would even reach the blades. I was wrong.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Damn is right. You can always go the Jimi Hendrix route and play left-handed, forming the chords with your right hand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Damn is right. You can always go the Jimi Hendrix route and play left-handed, forming the chords with your right hand.
Think I'll just enjoy other people playing. I never got past basic chords. I watch my son play. That's good enough for me cuz we jokingly call him mini me anyway.:D

PhxRam

Yeah. Not one of my prouder days. I was shredding cabbage and not using the plastic pusher thing like I require my guys to use. Never thought my fingers would even reach the blades. I was wrong.

Other then the obvious disfigurement, do you suffer from any nerve damage?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
As long as you're enjoying music through your son that's all that matters. My son has written two books and I'm on chapter 9 of a detective novel he just sent me. Daddy's proud. (y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Other then the obvious disfigurement, do you suffer from any nerve damage?
Yeah - I have very little feeling in the tips of my first three fingers and they're still not the most nimble of digits. Really bugs me when I go to grab my wife's ass. And I'm serious there.

The thing that really pisses me off is the pad of the middle finger was still showing what I assume was viability when I got to our less than stellar hospital. My wife had checked to see if they could get me right in before we decided to go to the closer hospital and they of course said yes. I had wrapped everything up pretty tight but when you touched the pad on the middle finger, it would go from pink to white and then back again. I sat in a room next to the waiting room for two hours and then sat inside the ER for another hour before the doctor came over. I asked him if they could stitch it up to which he said, "I don't do stitches". Huh? An ER doctor? By the time they got around to doing anything, the finger had lost its responsiveness. They finally started working on me after almost 4 hours. Their first move was to send me down for x-rays with my hand balled up in a fist. I asked them how they were going to get a good shot of the hand but they just dismissed my question and had me go down to x-ray anyway. When I talked to the tech, he said, "don't worry about it. If it doesn't work, we'll take another one. But don't worry, we won't charge you for both." Bullshit. So back up I go and the tech calls them to let them know the x-rays didn't come out. Gee. Really?

So the next step is to uncoil my fist which I had wrapped heavily in gauze. As soon as my ring finger uncoiled, it looked like a Monty Python movie. There was a stream of blood pumping right at the male nurse. So they decided to get the cauterizing machine thingy. Unfortunately, no one in the ER knew how to operate it. I live in a logging area. No one knows how to use a fucking cauterizing machine? They finally got the stupid thing hooked up and the doctor "who doesn't do stitches" comes over to cauterize my finger tip. Well the thing is shocking him instead of searing the blood vessels in my finger. I have to admit - that was the only good thing about this adventure. Finally, he gives up and they rewrap the tip of my finger and off to the x-ray lab I go again. And yes - they tried to charge me twice.

So I come back up and guess who is sitting there preparing to stitch my middle finger up? Yep. Dr. Idon'tdostitches. So while he is stitching me up, the male nurse is on line trying to figure out how to use the cauterizing machine. He gets it figured out and they seal up my ring finger. That is when I took the pictures. And only a mere 6 hours after we got there.

The moral to this story is that I will turn right toward Corvallis next time. I will never again go to the Newport hospital for anything more than a tetanus shot. I have never seen anything like this. And all I have to do is start telling people that I went to Newport and they roll their eyes. Apparently, it's common knowledge.

So the answer to your question is yes. And I can totally understand that with my ring finger as I lost about a half inch of finger and 1/4 inch of bone. The other two? Not sure I'd be having these issues as much if they were anything less than totally inept at that hospital.