Any Musicians Here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Used to have a small 16-track recording setup in the basement but gave it away to my son for his wedding present three years ago. Today I still have a 62 Gibson 12-string with a pickup, a crappy Memphis electric guitar, and a Yamaha DX-500 keyboard. I write and record songs using FL Studio10. Just curious whether anyone else here plays an instrument or writes songs and records them. Do you have any musician experiences to share?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Used to have a small 16-track recording setup in the basement but gave it away to my son for his wedding present three years ago. Today I still have a 62 Gibson 12-string with a pickup, a crappy Memphis electric guitar, and a Yamaha DX-500 keyboard. I write and record songs using FL Studio10. Just curious whether anyone else here plays an instrument or writes songs and records them. Do you have any musician experiences to share?
Drummer,guitar player and a novice on the keys myself. I've been in a few bands over the years. Good times. Now i just strum and drum at home and play around with software. I'm also using Studio FL 10(just the demo). Do you like it? Worth purchasing?

I played mostly Strats. My first was an '88 Japanese strat that was a diamond in the rough,and later i bought a Fender '62 reissue. Recently i came into possession of a beautiful '94 Gibson Les Paul Studio guitar w/gold hardware. I could never get used to the Gibson vs the Strat in terms of feel and sound. I prefer the Strat sound....especially the clean channel tone.

I used an '84 Marshall JCM 800 combo. Plug a maple neck Strat into that baby with a Univibe,Vox wah wah and THATS what i'm talkin about! Yes...i'm a Hendrix guy :whistle:

I have a Simmons electronic drum kit with headphones and an amp that i enjoy(I traded the Gibson Les Paul for it) . I was always a better drummer than anything else but it didn't lend itself to songwriting or convenience so i picked up the guitar not long after i peaked out on the drums. That Gibson was a beauty. I'll post pics if i can find any.

I don't own any electrics anymore but i have a very old steel string Yamaha FG 335SB acoustic that i'll keep forever. Amazing sound.
I still have the Marshall amp. Looking to sell it. I'm really getting into the software thing now. Creatiing,arranging and experimenting. It keeps my creative brain working. Lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I played Alto Saxophone in middle school and high school. Also was in marching band in high school :cry:(and yes, it sucked ass).

Have owned two guitars(one pawned by my brother :() and another sitting in my friends room collecting dust. I have yet to learn anything even remotely basic. I fail.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This is what i've got and used to play through.
th (4).jpg

Attachments

• marshall.jpg
    marshall.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 206

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I play ACOUSTIC guitar. For some reason, if I pick up an electric it's like I've been playing for only 3 months. I'm a fairly good finger picker and never used a pick, I think that's what throws me off

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Brass man here, trumpet , french horn, sold my last instrument in 1973, wish I'd kept playing now, think I paid rent with the money though so I needed it.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I rap and record with a few friends. I like to spit Underground/90's kind of Hip-Hop rather than today's. I like the low tempoed, deep piano jazzy kind of beats(like Havoc from Mobb Deep), but spit to a wide range of instrumentals.
And I've been playing the guitar for 4 years. I've got a Ibanez RGR320SP to a Line 6 Amp. I love the guitar, the amp isn't bad it does the job. I've never taken lessons or anything, just watch videos and read how-tos.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Had a couple of different bands back in the day. Mostly metal and hardcore.
Our recordings were always done on the cheap with just a good microphone and whatever free/bootleg recording audio we could find, but they always sounded passable.
I've got an Epiphone '55 gold top replica that I've had for years, never could afford the real Les Paul version, but it's still just a beautiful instrument, and sounds really great too. Lately, I've had a hankering to get on some drums though. My hands are a bit too small to master much of anything on the Gee-tar.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I'm learning guitar for the last year. I use rocksmith and it has really been the best teacher for me. I have mastered half a dozen songs so far that I can play start to finish.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Can't play a lick but my son is pretty good. There are some youtube videos on my channel of him performing.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
We need to have an area for people to post their stuff. I would love to see you guys play

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mojo - Bought the FL Studio Producers Edition software back in the day when it was called Fruity Loops. It cost around $100 then and includes free updates for life which is cool but is only the basics. Last year I bought a synth from them called 'Sytrus' which cost $180.00. The really good stuff is gonna cost you extra. From what I've heard if you buy the FL Studio now it runs close to $500 but is comparable to most other Digital Audio Workstations. The Roland/Boss 16-track studio I gave to my son, for example, cost close to $1000.00.

Is it worth it? Well you can record all vocals and instruments into it and use it like a mixer. Or you can depend on the beats and instruments that are included in the software and do it like that or in combination which is what I do. If you're really into writing, arranging, and creating then it would seem to be perfect for you.

My problem is that I use an old HP pc which doesn't have the power needed and which results in buffering problems and glitches. FL Studio does not yet work with an Apple Mac so I'm saving up to buy a top-of-the-line pc which will be used for music recording only.

I bought my son an American Strat for his 16th birthday and which he still uses today. He's 23 now. I've owned a Strat and 2 Tele's but didn't care for the neck or the sound. I prefer Gibsons. My next and last guitar will be when I break into Peter Frampton's house and swipe his Gibson Black Beauty. This is what he deserves for putting out all those crappy albums beginning in the 80's(Just kidding Peter :))

2q2kg1s.jpg

Love the Marshall amp. I have a Kustom amp like the one pictured below. Don't own a cell phone so I can't post pics of my stuff. That's another story for another time.

2eyhyxc.jpg

When I went to Indiana for my son's graduation from Valparaiso last Decemember, he showed me an electronic drum kit he had just bought. The other day he told me that he bought gloves because the sticks were blistering up his fingers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Tron and Thor - started out in grammar school and Jr. high playing trumpet and then switching over to French horn. It was good to learn how to read music but I never want to hear another John Phillip Sousa tune again. :mad:

El J - would like to hear what the rest of the musicians here have recorded. I mostly write songs in the Christian genre but they have a dark King Crimson vibe, or so I've been told.

MFaulk and Warner4 - sounds like you both have some good gear. Fl Studio was actually designed for hip-hop. And btw there's no excuses for not playing :) check out Django Reinhardt who only had two working fingers left on his fingering hand after a fire. He played pretty damn good.

VCRam - never heard of Rocksmith. Will check it out. Thanks!

RamFan503 - any way we can watch those videos of your son?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rock smith is a teaching tool that hooks in your game system. It's pretty cool, a buddy of mine has it. I think it kinda stops folks from developing their own flare tho.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Here they are. http://www.youtube.com/user/PigFeathersBBQ?feature=watch Fulton Miller

I bought him a little Fender Strat Squire (pretty much a beginner's electric) when he was about 10. Since then, he has bought several guitars with the tip money he has earned here at the restaurant. He has I think 6 or 7 guitars. An Ovation Legend, an Ibanez electric (not sure which one but it's Lakers purple), a nice little Schecter, a Takamine, and a couple others. My wife's dad used to play in bands and left Becky a beautiful Gretsch Country Gentleman, a Rickenbacker Banjoline (pretty rare), and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. He gets to play them from time to time but Becky's not quite ready to let them leave the house.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks! He has a damn good voice. I mean real good. He's playing the Ovation round-back on the acoustic songs.

The Gretsch Country Gentleman is worth around $3,000 easy and the Fender Twin around the same price depending on age and condition. I'm guessing however that you can't put a price on something passed down from her dad, and those instruments are not leaving the house ever.

MFaulk107

The Realness

This is my dad.
He performs at local bars threw out Columbus, Ohio he plays Blues, Reggae with his band Seen Tru, and takes requests usually from drunk people and plays em haha

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Wow! Thanks for sharing that. My wife just asked who that was because she really liked it. I'm saving this link to check out more songs later.