Any Musicians Here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As long as you're enjoying music through your son that's all that matters. My son has written two books and I'm on chapter 9 of a detective novel he just sent me. Daddy's proud. (y)
Very cool. My son is changing his major from literature to Astro-Physics. He wants to write Science Fiction novels and it is the only way he can get into the science and astronomy classes he wants for that. Funny kid. But I suppose it makes sense.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
My problem is I had kids. When I was learning my first year I was in light speed. I could catch on to anything. Then I met this chick and knocked her up. 4 years later, we have two. The only time I get to play is once they are asleep. I really haven't progressed much over the years

fearsomefour

Legend
I played drums for years was even lucky enough to make my living at for about 5.
Then moved from the coast to the ungodly desert, had a family and "real life" got in the way. It drove me nuts having to do it very part time (I used to practice 4 hours a day + teach and play ect) and half assed. So in a fit of bummed out vibes about it I gave away all my gear to a guy I was teaching.
Mistake.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very cool. My son is changing his major from literature to Astro-Physics. He wants to write Science Fiction novels and it is the only way he can get into the science and astronomy classes he wants for that. Funny kid. But I suppose it makes sense.

It does make sense. My son graduated with a B.A. in English so he can teach and write, and another B.A. in psychology so he can figure out how I screwed him up when I raised him. I home-schooled him so I either get all the credit or all the blame for how he turns out - this is according to his mom. :)

My problem is I had kids. When I was learning my first year I was in light speed. I could catch on to anything. Then I met this chick and knocked her up. 4 years later, we have two. The only time I get to play is once they are asleep. I really haven't progressed much over the years

I was on light speed as well during my younger days - of course all the meth I was using probably had something to do with that. Yeah, my wife and I never slept through the night once until our son turned 2. Then one day after he turned 19 he announced that he was moving to another state with his girlfriend. Thanks for everything dad, bye. Now I sleep just fine.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gotta find times man. Knock it out in the living room while their eating - something. It is health food for the psychy and the body. You'll live longer and she will actually be happier too.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Oh I play every day. But I pretty much keep it to just some stuff I already know and love. I don't have the time to actually sit and learn the entirety of a songs tablature.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Used to have a small 16-track recording setup in the basement but gave it away to my son for his wedding present three years ago. Today I still have a 62 Gibson 12-string with a pickup, a crappy Memphis electric guitar, and a Yamaha DX-500 keyboard. I write and record songs using FL Studio10. Just curious whether anyone else here plays an instrument or writes songs and records them. Do you have any musician experiences to share?

Got some solid-body 6-strings, an acoustic-electric 6-string, a trusty Fender Jazz bass (made in Mexico, cuz I'm not made of money), and an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. I record to Sonar X3 Studio software through a Roland Quad-Capture USB interface. Still learning my way around the Sonar setup, though. Have done some recording -- haven't messed around with the mix/master end of things much....yet.

When it comes to the drum thing, I just feed the MIDI pattern information from the Alesis and use the kit sounds that came bundled with Sonar -- I think those kits sound more realistic than the kits on the drum machine.

Vocals are pretty much the only thing I record through a mic. Recording guitars: a Line6 Pod 2.0 into the Quad-Capture. Bass: the amp is a Line6 LowDown 300 with a Lo-Z output, so I run a Lo-Z mic cable from the amp into the QuadCapture.

In the past I had used a Korg D1200 multitrack recorder -- found that a bit confining, particularly because tracks 7-12 were handcuffed stereo pairs. Supposedly, I can use unlimited tracks in Sonar...although I can't realistically see myself needing more than 24 on any given song. But that's worth exploring.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I worked at Walmart in the mid 90's. Met some musicians working there so we started jamming twice a week. Drinking,smoking,doing covers and getting loud...haha. I started to get some original material going and eventually we started playing bars locally. We put our measly Walmart wages together and recorded a 5 track demo in hopes of recruiting a quality vocalist. A few of us were good enough to handle background vocals but we were forced into lead vocal duties constantly. You will hear some obvious mixing boo boo's on these. We ran out of money at the end and had to mix it(with the engineer who was quite good)) very quickly.
These youtubes were thrown together later just for easy sharing purposes. Nothing to see,just audio.
I'm pretty proud of what we were able to accomplish.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
HeiseNBerg - "Alesis SR-16 drum machine" - I've owned two of those. The last one I bought on eBay and was part of the package I gave to my son for his wedding present. Alesis makes really good equipment.

2mplzsg.jpg

I've heard that Sonar has a steep learning curve. Yeah, on most DAW's the amount of tracks you can use is pretty much unlimited because you can bounce tracks without adding hiss or losing fidelity. Phil Spector would have really gone crazy had he had that type of technology back in the day. Oh wait...he did go crazy.

Mojo - sounds like it's mixed really well. The reverb and the general vibe reminds me of my favorite Fleetwood Mac era of 'Bare Trees' and 'Future Games.' Thanks for sharing that.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm a musician. I have my own setup at home for recording. I play every instrument, vocals, and do all the mixing and mastering. It's a lot of work but a whole lot of fun! I've been writing and recording music when I was 13 and I'm 22 right now. I'm actually in the process of recording an album that will be out later this year!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I'm a musician. I have my own setup at home for recording. I play every instrument, vocals, and do all the mixing and mastering. It's a lot of work but a whole lot of fun! I've been writing and recording music when I was 13 and I'm 22 right now. I'm actually in the process of recording an album that will be out later this year!

How awesome is that? Hope you can share some of your music with us.

I do what you do except I don't play drums. FL Studio10 has pretty good beats for that. I first started thinking about doing solo multi-track recording after hearing the first Paul McCartney solo album, Stevie Wonder's early work, and Todd Rundgren's 'Something/Anything?' album.

You're right, it's a lot of hard work. The one thing I noticed, at least in my case, is that there's a danger of sameness that creeps into the music when I do everything myself.

A55VA6

Legend
How awesome is that? Hope you can share some of your music with us.

I do what you do except I don't play drums. FL Studio10 has pretty good beats for that. I first started thinking about doing solo multi-track recording after hearing the first Paul McCartney solo album, Stevie Wonder's early work, and Todd Rundgren's 'Something/Anything?' album.

You're right, it's a lot of hard work. The one thing I noticed, at least in my case, is that there's a danger of sameness that creeps into the music when I do everything myself.
Yeah, I get that way too. haha. For drums I actually don't have my own kit, so I do use a drum machine but I create and place the beats myself. My style probably differs a lot from what a lot of you here listen to, but I'll most definitely share some of my music with you guys here in the future! If you've heard blink-182 that'll give you an idea of what my music sounds like.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Another tune from that old 5 song demo. Vocals were a struggle for me Lol, and the middle section is ok...i was always proud of my slide work on the intro/outro parts though. Uni vibe baby! My Floyd influence coming out :D

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Excellent. Thanks for sharing this. As I'm sure you know, David Gilmour used a pedal steel on some of his slide playing. That's cheating. :cool: I use alternate tunings on guitar and a glass slide. The metal ones sound too harsh to my ears.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Nice stuff!!
Love to hear all the stories with exception of the food processor - doubt I'll cook again anytime soon

Jazz bass player throughout my early teens up until 19 - I was a really a freak, practiced 10 or more hours a day - I had to cause reading music wasn't the easiest thing for me. But I got rather good
and was hired to play in a rather good touring combo
So to celebrate I went to Joshua tree did some magic mushrooms and then proceeded to fall 30 feet onto my wrist shattering to pieces.
Needless to say I lost the gig and had years of rehab. After I started playing rock music in the sort of mick Taylor era stones band - all originals and had some record deal interest but all my band mates got hooked on crack - our rehearsal studio was across the street from Hollywood high school and was crack central
I quit (the band, I was smart enough to avoid the crack) and went to design school at 25.
Played with or opened for some great bands (sublime, the wall flowers, some of the wilco guys) and some not so cool (korn and a bunch of famous grind core bands)
I became a successful artist which led me to start playing again as part of a project - it went so well I formed a band and are releasing our first EP with cover art by Storm Thorgerson who did all the pink Floyd and Zeppelin covers.
It's fun to get another chance at my dream job all these years later. I'm not as gifted musically as I was when I was younger but I'm a better person and it certainly makes it so much more fun

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Joshua Tree was also a bad place for Gram Parsons.

Since you're into jazz I'll tell you this one story. One of my pals in high school was Grant Geissman. We still keep in touch on occasion via email. Mostly he sends me advertisements about his career. :sneaky: Anyway, he was into jazz guitar while the rest of us were into Cream, blues, and Led Zep. He had polio so he was exempted from the draft. Plus his dad owned a construction company so Grant got all the best equipment. He took his opportunity though and practiced his butt off.

One night during the early 80's I turned on the TV and there he was playing 'Feels So Good' with Chuck Mangione. The little bastard! I was so damn envious.

Here he is with Mangione and Chick Corea.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Here they are. http://www.youtube.com/user/PigFeathersBBQ?feature=watch Fulton Miller

I bought him a little Fender Strat Squire (pretty much a beginner's electric) when he was about 10. Since then, he has bought several guitars with the tip money he has earned here at the restaurant. He has I think 6 or 7 guitars. An Ovation Legend, an Ibanez electric (not sure which one but it's Lakers purple), a nice little Schecter, a Takamine, and a couple others. My wife's dad used to play in bands and left Becky a beautiful Gretsch Country Gentleman, a Rickenbacker Banjoline (pretty rare), and a Fender Twin Reverb amp. He gets to play them from time to time but Becky's not quite ready to let them leave the house.

I skimmed through the hot wing challenge vid. In the beginning you looked a little worried.........what was in the sauce?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Joshua Tree was also a bad place for Gram Parsons.

Since you're into jazz I'll tell you this one story. One of my pals in high school was Grant Geissman. We still keep in touch on occasion via email. Mostly he sends me advertisements about his career. :sneaky: Anyway, he was into jazz guitar while the rest of us were into Cream, blues, and Led Zep. He had polio so he was exempted from the draft. Plus his dad owned a construction company so Grant got all the best equipment. He took his opportunity though and practiced his butt off.

One night during the early 80's I turned on the TV and there he was playing 'Feels So Good' with Chuck Mangione. The little bastard! I was so damn envious.

Here he is with Mangione and Chick Corea.

Geismann is slick!!!!! Thanks
Adding that to my collection now

Nuts about Gram Parsons - never knew about that
Funny thing to add to the Joshua Tree thing was that Ginger Baker was in the same intensive care unit I was (I had also broke all my ribs and ruptured a few organs) well it turns out Ginger was riding a horse naked through Joshua tree with his girlfriend or wife and got hit by a tree
So I've always been proud to know the trauma surgeon Dr Ercoli (Palm Springs bob Hope Hospital) had worked on my guts right after fixing up Ginger Baker!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Geismann is slick!!!!! Thanks
Adding that to my collection now

Nuts about Gram Parsons - never knew about that
Funny thing to add to the Joshua Tree thing was that Ginger Baker was in the same intensive care unit I was (I had also broke all my ribs and ruptured a few organs) well it turns out Ginger was riding a horse naked through Joshua tree with his girlfriend or wife and got hit by a tree
So I've always been proud to know the trauma surgeon Dr Ercoli (Palm Springs bob Hope Hospital) had worked on my guts right after fixing up Ginger Baker!!

That sounds like something GB would have done back then being a heroin addict and an all around nut.