Andrew Whitworth expected to sign with LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
As for Center, we need to replace Barnes - probably with a 3rd or 4th round pick in the draft. Although, I'd like to keep him as a backup because he does play hard and does some things well.

This years top centers have 2nd round grades ,where we need CB/WR just as much and more.. Might get lucky one drops to early 3rd.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Where is the crowd that said GRob was much better than thought of and was picked on by the refs?

I am not being sarcastic. I want to hear some counter thoughts.

My first reaction is that Kromer must not see GRob as an OLT at all if they move him to Guard. Otherwise this move would just delay his development as an OLT.

Or Kromer doesn't like Havenstein, or he is seriously injured. Even if GRob took over at ORT, it won't develop his Left Tackle skills. Interesting development. I guess the Rams will be looking for a new Left Tackle in the coming years, which sucks because it can be a very difficult position to fill.

I think the rams are thinking it’s an immediate upgrade to one of our biggest weaknesses and upgrades the depth. Two checks scratched off the list. Now open up competition and see how things shake out. Then make decisions based on the shake out. It completely takes pressure off of the staff and gives them time to figure things out.
It looks like the best start they could hope for.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It makes me wonder if, at some point, they shop Robinson. If not I think the move says that he is destined for Guard, whether Havenstein is healthy or not.

I'm seeing it a little different, ... true that Robinson may be destined to start at OG, but if he proves his worth in this, his contract year, he could one day become a top swingman for our OL, playing 4 positions should it become necessary. He could become our future Saffold with time, training and development under what should be the proper guidance he'll receive under Kromer. First though, he needs to prove himself successful at one position before opportunities arise to expand his future worth as an all-around player. RG is a good place to start his rehab. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I sure can not speak for woofwoofmo but I would say that if GRob attitude remains close to the adult category & positive he will remain here as a back up/reserve @ OT/OG. I certainly do not see GRob working or doing what Left OG Saffold, or left OG Wichmann & Left OG Brown did in assisting our starting center when Goff is in the shotgun. GRob's 7 million cap is going to hit us no matter if he is here or not.

If GRob goes off and turns up the "Tude" or like I said last month "throws his sucker in the dirt" because he is no longer a starter @ LT & will have to earn a spot on the 53 player roster then we will have an open OL position minus GRob.

Kromer has Havenstein, Donnal & Murphy all line up & played RT in games last season. Kromer now had Rodger Saffold, Andrew Donnal, Darrell Williams & GRob all played LT over the last two seasons now he has an All Pro Andrew Whitworth. Is there a real big need for GRob here at either of these posts?

My post Andrew Whitworth OL lineup:

LT- Whitworth /Murphy /Williams
LG- Saffold / Brown
OC- Barnes / DRAFT / Rhaney
RG- Donnal / Wichmann
RT- Havenstein / Robinson

Let me ask you a question flv...Can you imagine any team really contemplating to trade for GRob & his 7 million cap hit?

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think people are over rating Brown in here. IMO his position is far from secure he was bad last year.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.

View: https://twitter.com/_sportstrust/status/839844306861031424

Rejoice friends!!! Many of us, including myself, wanted this one bad.

Pcu-PJ.gif

.. awesome.

HellRam

Starter

Hey that look's like a legit starting NFL offensive line to me. More then we have seen in a while IMO.

Also love the idea of moving GRob to guard. I actually believe he had can be pretty good guard, it's a much better natural fit. Robinson never in his career with the Rams looked comfortable being on a island against certain edge rushers, mainly the speed rushers. Hopefully the Rams can salvage some value with that 2nd overall pick.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...d-long-cincinnati-bengals-ot-andrew-whitworth

............Adding Whitworth means Greg Robinson, the No. 2 overall pick from 2014, will move to the right side, to either guard or tackle.........

Guess GRob got thrown off the LEFT side?

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9313/greg-robinson

The Rams will move LT Greg Robinson to right guard or right tackle in 2017.

With the addition of new LT Andrew Whitworth, the Rams are ending the Robinson experiment at left tackle. It's been in the works for about three years now, as Robinson has been beaten like a drum at the position ever since being drafted No. 2 overall in 2014. He looked okay at left guard early as a rookie, so maybe moving back inside where he has help on both sides of him can kickstart his career. The Rams currently have Rodger Saffold manning left guard. Mar 9 - 2:10 PM

Last edited:

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
@Ryan_Kartje 17m17 minutes ago

In his past 3 seasons, Andrew Whitworth allowed a total of 4 sacks (zero last yr). Last season, Greg Robinson allowed 7 sacks in 14 games.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I think people are over rating Brown in here. IMO his position is far from secure he was bad last year.

I think a lot of people forget the serious injury Jamon suffered in the 2015 season. It certainly impacted his development last year.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think a lot of people forget the serious injury Jamon suffered in the 2015 season. It was certainly an impacted his development last year.

Badly broken leg in 2015 & broken hand in 2016. I am expecting big things from Jamon Brown @ LEFT OG this season. Outstanding Character, (smart ;))& very good size for Aaron Kromer to work with(y).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm seeing it a little different, ... true that Robinson may be destined to start at OG, but if he proves his worth in this, his contract year, he could one day become a top swingman for our OL, playing 4 positions should it become necessary. He could become our future Saffold with time, training and development under what should be the proper guidance he'll receive under Kromer. First though, he needs to prove himself successful at one position before opportunities arise to expand his future worth as an all-around player. RG is a good place to start his rehab. jmo.

I don't see that with GRob. Most of those swingmen are the, not good enough physically but got it all down pat mentally types. That does not seem to be his M.O.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've often wondered about the releases of Kush and Reynolds...and the way we could have kept Saffold at RT....kept Kush...kept Reynolds on the team...and sat Wichman, Brown, and Havenstein when their play declined.

I think that is coaching staff arrogance or stubbornness. Fisher believe in Brown so much that he declared him a future all-pro at the beginning of his rookie camp. I agree that Reynolds looked better than all three. But I am guessing that Fisher and crew didn't want to let themselves think that they got the draft picks wrong and let Reynolds walk in favor of what they thought was the further developing youngsters. Fisher was in love with youth too. I don't understand that thinking because on offense youth isn't always a good thing, especially on Oline. There is so much to learn compared to the college game.

Was he pressured by our staff?

I think he was. I think Havenstein was penciled in at ORT based on his first year and Fisher or Boudreau wanted him to work through the injury to start the season. Maybe he wanted it too and between both sides that is how it played out.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Put GRob at LG and let him learn from Whitworth. AW can only be a good example for GRob, what better way to learn the teamwork of G/T than to take part in it. By learning the G responsibilities maybe GRob will have less of those brain farts where he thinks the LG is gonna block every DL left of the C and GRob will block the wind.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Looks like this staff knows how to build a winner.

You simply cannot, under any circumstances, have your left tackle as the weakest position on your OL.

Which has usually been the case with the Rams since the much hearlded Mr Robinson arrived.

Next, I'd like to see some promising non stop edge rushers in picked up in the draft or FA.

Protecting your QB while being able to constantly pummel the opposing QB equals winning football in the 21st century.

If anyone should know this it is all us long suffering Ram fans.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Im ok with this signing. He should at least be solid for 2 years hopefully.

Go read Cinci's SB Nation... Some dark times over there. He was their rock through hard times, the voice of reason, THE LEADER in their locker room for a decade. Their fans are hurt... Big Whit seemed like their glue guy.

.... Which is GOOD NEWS FOR US! WE NEED A GLUE GUY AND LEADER!!!!!!! There's also a lot of talk over there about how Whit has ATLEAST a couple more years in him. That this was a great deal for the Rams, front loading it for the first year... and by year 3, if he falls off a little, we can move him inside and he could still be elite.