Andrew Whitworth expected to sign with LA Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Im sorry, I responded to this once already and you gave me a "different opinion" ?

Please explain to me what it is you think we disagree about because I am not following.

Do you agree this signing is good?
Do you agree our line was really bad last year?

If so, then what the heck am I missing here?

I think your missing the potential this line has. This signing is a Hugh signing.

Kromer really likes this groups yourh & talent. They really just needed a veteran leader.
Lemons ???

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Always good when the other team sees things this way. Fingers crossed that he stays healthy. .

Bengals make huge mistake in losing Andrew Whitworth to Rams

By Katherine Terrell

CINCINNATI -- This one could sting for a long time.

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth was expected to play his entire career in Cincinnati. On the opening day of free agency, he’s on his way to Los Angeles to sign a three-year deal with the Rams.

Whitworth is getting a three-year, $36 million contract with the Rams that includes $15 million guaranteed and $2.5 million guaranteed in the second year, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bengals' start to free agency already looked bleak before the signing period, which officially starts at 4 p.m. Thursday.

Now the Bengals have a hole at left tackle and a huge void in their locker room.

The Bengals wanted to keep Whitworth, and he wanted to return to Cincinnati. So why didn’t it happen?

It seemed the Bengals targeted Whitworth as their first priority out of their free agents, a group that also includes Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick.

But it was a head-scratching, and perhaps telling, sign that the first major signing of free agency for Cincinnati was not Whitworth, but wide receiver Brandon LaFell.Bengals make huge mistake in losing Andrew Whitworth to Rams

By Katherine Terrell

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth was expected to play his entire career in Cincinnati. On the opening day of free agency, he’s on his way to Los Angeles to sign a three-year deal with the Rams.

Whitworth is getting a three-year, $36 million contract with the Rams that includes $15 million guaranteed and $2.5 million guaranteed in the second year, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bengals' start to free agency already looked bleak before the signing period, which officially starts at 4 p.m. Thursday.

Now the Bengals have a hole at left tackle and a huge void in their locker room.

The Bengals wanted to keep Whitworth, and he wanted to return to Cincinnati. So why didn’t it happen?

It seemed the Bengals targeted Whitworth as their first priority out of their free agents, a group that also includes Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick.

But it was a head-scratching, and perhaps telling, sign that the first major signing of free agency for Cincinnati was not Whitworth, but wide receiver Brandon LaFell. Bengals make huge mistake in losing Andrew Whitworth to Rams

By Katherine Terrell

But it was a head-scratching, and perhaps telling, sign that the first major signing of free agency for Cincinnati was not Whitworth, but wide receiver Brandon LaFell.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LT was a huge reason for all the problems last year. I don't see it getting better by changing any of the remaining pieces by moving last year's LT to one of the G positions. There are a lot of things beyond what you see on the field that go into some of these decisions.

On a side note, I didn't mean to single you out, I disagree with a lot of the things said here, and it's because I know things that most here are not privy to. Things you see, hear and read are often not what true realities are.
ahhh....I remember the conversation...thanks for the clarification.

When able....I'll be around for awhile...perhaps you could share what exactly is the truth...as you know & understand it...

I didn't take it personally...nor felt singled out...I thought I'd squeeze that secret info out of you..LOL

But I get the gist of what you're saying....and if what I'm guessing is in any way the reason....I'd like to know who interviews our potential draftees? Because you're starting to sound a LOT like Boni....

LT Whitwoth
LG GRob
C ?
RG Saffold
RT Havenstein

The vet Pro Bowler next to GRob and Saffold back at RG with a vet next to Havenstein. Makes the most sense to me.
Hmmm....best scenario if Greg is eventually going to become LT in the future...I think RT is more his speed.

After watching the combine....I think if we start a rookie...it'll be between Toth, who's a 4 year starter...or the guy from Utah, guy was moved to center from LT...who I think isn't really ready to start just yet....but looks ready physically. More than Toth...

But I'd love to get Toth...looks like a 12 year starter to me.

LT - Whitworth / Murphy / Williams
LG - Saffold / Brown
C - Barnes / Rhaney
RG - Wichmann / Robinson
RT - Havenstein / Donnal
This seems about right. I like Brown...I like Saffold...both have injury concerns...I like the left side with Whitworth & Saffold....seems we'd get better protection. That right side however....? ? ?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Great move ! So happy they are not drafting another offensive lineman high in the draft

Ram65

Legend

Damn it, was just posting this lol

Framework of Andrew Whitworth deal between Rams and @_SportsTrust: 3 years, $36M, $15M guar, including $2.5M guar in Year 2.

I messed up my numbers early when doing first post from phone. lol. That's a lot of money but needed LT.

If Demoff sticks to his paying as you go this will eat up a lot of cap space. Liked Whitford early on to settle the line and give Goff blindside protection. Seemed like he would go to a contender or sign with the Bengals. Rams stepped up. Makes everyone better. I think Havenstein gets healthy and stays at RT. GRob competes at RG/LG

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Havenstien? Man...I'm telling you...the amount of pressure in some games from the right side...the lack of push...If we didn't put some real competition over there for Rob, we're doing HIM a disservice....If he puts in some work on that lower body....maybe...but I don't see Havenstein holding off Robinson for the tackle position. Greg has a tackle body...he moves like a tackle...who wouldn't want him on the edge??? There is no way Kromer won't at least look at him there first. Now, if Brown & Wichman are virtually the same players as last season....

THAT CROWD IS ME BABY!!!! Whitworth deal is...again...front loaded...not sure of the numbers...but this is definitely not permanent. Playing anywhere will develop G-Rob offensive line skills...better still, playing in a functional unit will develop his football IQ. He needs time around competent line play. LT's often start on the RT side, then move over when ready. Think Tyron with the Cowboys. I believe Greg can play...if he can do NOTHING ELSE, he can run block. Which should be HARDER than pass blocking...At least it was to me.

It places our best physical specimens on the bookends....Andy at LT...and Greg at RT....I'd say Brown, Wichman, Donnall, and....someone I'm missing...are battling for RG...I'd draft one, cause there are a couple I'd like...

But CENTER is the FINAL PIECE FELLAS!!!!!!

Easy about Havenstein. Remember, he was playing with a bum wheel MOST of the year. Teams saw that he was susceptible to the speed rush because of it and adjusted. What sucks is that our OC didn't adjust for it and left a RT on the edge with little help and a bum wheel.

Healthy, Havenstein has the ability to be one of the BETTER RTs in the league. You watch. He's going to be MUCH better now.

And I'd almost guarantee that GRob ends up at RG immediately if not almost so because a healthy Havenstein will win it outright in a minute.

codeman

UDFA
This is the first time in like 10 years I feel confident in the LT. Whitworth is a huge upgrade over Robinson. I hope he can play all 3 years, but kind of expect two good years.
Whitworth - Saffold - Barnes ? - Robinson - Havenstein
It seems like they are sticking with Barnes so they must have some confidence in him. If they upgrade C its through draft since there is no cap money left, but I hope they focus on WR/TE in top of draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess is barring a significantly high grade on an Olineman in the draft falling to us at one of our picks, this is our oline now. I'm okay with that. I still would like them to draft a guy who can compete at center on day three.

I do get the feeling that Havenstein might end up being a man without a position someday... playing one good season and one bad season, the new coaching staff has no allegiance to him and all things being equal, if GRob proves he can handle RT, then I think the net benefit is to place him there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno Merlin. I have it pretty close to that except Robinson beating out Wichmann at RG. He pulls better AND he can maul just about anyone in the run game. NO one questions GRob's strength.

LG - Saffold / Brown
C - Barnes / Rhaney
RG - Robinson / Wichmann
RT - Havenstein / Donnal

Also, I don't think we carry 11 OL. I think we probably carry 9. Which means that I don't think both LT backups stick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This seems about right. I like Brown...I like Saffold...both have injury concerns...I like the left side with Whitworth & Saffold....seems we'd get better protection. That right side however....?

Yep this is why I listed Saffold right side under what I'd do. I like Roger at RG next to Havenstein.

jap

Legend
I do get the feeling that Havenstein might end up being a man without a position someday... playing one good season and one bad season, the new coaching staff has no allegiance to him and all things being equal, if GRob proves he can handle RT, then I think the net benefit is to place him there.

If GRob can learn from Kromer and Whitworth, he may take over the LT role later on. He has the requisite feet, durability, and strength. It's his instincts, mental preparation, and focus that needs serious work and also some serious unlearning of really bad habits.

jjab360

Legend
I dunno Merlin. I have it pretty close to that except Robinson beating out Wichmann at RG. He pulls better AND he can maul just about anyone in the run game. NO one questions GRob's strength.

LG - Saffold / Brown
C - Barnes / Rhaney
RG - Robinson / Wichmann
RT - Havenstein / Donnal

Also, I don't think we carry 11 OL. I think we probably carry 9. Which means that I don't think both LT backups stick.
I don't question GRob's strength however I do question his mauling ability. He seems to have an extremely tough time sustaining run blocks, defenders just slip right off of him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I dunno Merlin. I have it pretty close to that except Robinson beating out Wichmann at RG.

I don't think either are sufficient for a good line Mack. Robinson is better in the run game no doubt but we're gonna throw the F out of the ball this season. The interior of the OL should be opened up for competition with no assumptions, but I do think the best two guards will be Brown and Saffold.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Brown to center? Goff will be calling out protections under McVay/LaFleur, I'd actually see if Brown could handle center.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Moving Grob to RG will be huge for our run game and passing game. With his power, he'll be knocking people off the line at will.
I'd like to keep Hav at RT. He's solid there. Don't mess with it.
Barnes may be our C for another year. I'd like to see an improvement there but we have too many other positions that are too weak to ignore. Maybe he'll play better sandwiched between Saffold and Grob.