3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Falling in love with a guy based on his pro-day is the definition of dumb imo. He has 4 years of tape. 4 years of unimpressive tape.

Teams fall in love with guys and it bites them hard in the ass when they focus on pajama-lympics and pro-days. They delude themselves into thinking guys are better than they really are.

How exactly is this a tool? I just don't get it. Plenty of guys in college are coach's kids and never make it as actual players. Because talent, does, you know, matter.

We drafted a backup you hope never sees the field because we didn't take a QB last year like we should have. That just tees me off. Their mistake was noted and then they follow it up with a poor pick.
In your opinion it's a poor pick, I've seen some good tape on him. The Rams are building a team, the QB is a cog in that machine, I believe that Mannion has all the tools needed - Which QB did you want last year out of interest??

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I read where Terry Bradshaw finished his career with 212 TD and 210 Ints and 84 fumbles! Those are typically not the stats of a Hall of Fame QB. But, he was smart, tall and he had a hell of a supporting cast and coaching staff. Here's hoping the Rams have something more than a clipboard holder with this draft pick. Wow! I just saw, in 1979 when the Steelers beat us in the SB, Bradshaw had 26 TD passes and 25 Ints for the season. What a weird stat and they still won it all. Crazy.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People keep saying it was a premium pick. It was a late third in a draft that has repeatedly been criticized for the lack of good talent after early in the first. After that EVERY player has significant question marks apparently.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for the All Star Challenge. Can throw a 59 yard bomb!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's like a mix of onion and man. Nothing more badass than an onion man. He'll make people cry.

Hopefully those people will be fans of other NFC West teams, not Rams fans. :)

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I gotta hand it to you and the other poster that I discussed it with...I'm not remembering who it was. But I was pretty adamant that Mannion wouldn't go Day 2. You guys were right. He did. Just wish it wasn't to us.

So did 8 starting NFL QBs last year. That means literally nothing. Kurt Warner played at Northern Iowa. You don't have to be in a Power 5 conference to be a great player.

Brett Hundley played in the same conference behind a bad OL with same level of receiving talent yet he managed to produce. Why couldn't Mannion?

1) To say Mannion wasn't productive is silly (all time pac 12 yardage leader ) to say he made mistakes is fair.
2) Kurt Warner had to play in the arena league before his game was NFL ready. He wasn't really a household name or on the radar of NFL personnel out of N Iowa.
3) The argument about available NFL weapons carries marginal relevance. Weapons become less useful as we all know when your Oline is closer to a sieve than a brick wall.

I do not know what is in store for mr Mannion and as @jrry32 knows nothing but love for his time and commitment spent on analyzing prospects but for me the jury is still out.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happens every year, but people bashing these guys is just silly. They wanted Mannion from day 1 of this draft. For every draft bust there is a gem. If Tom Brady would have been drafted in the 3rd round, Patriot fans would have been FREAKING out on their coach and GM....how'd that work out?

You guys that are "tape watchers" - you are watching a player do what he's coached to do by a (typically) sub par coaching staff by NFL standards. You can spend your entire life "scouting" and watching tape and all that - but at the end of the day, you have less than 1% of the resources that NFL teams have. So go ahead and watch your tape - but think about it, individual work outs, senior bowl and combine are going to typically be better indicators than what they do against non NFL competition, with non NFL coaching staffs. Why would an NFL coach/GM care that a guy doesn't bend, or has poor footwork? That can be coached, and these football coaches are the best on the planet.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Watching the highlight tape on STLRAMS.com it seemed he was always moving. No protection? On the bright side, it seemed like he was extremely accurate on the move, particularly that one TD pass (20 yds?) where he rolled left and flicked it on a line. Arm looked pretty strong on that one.

I like his height and if he can put on about 15 lbs of muscle he'll be a moose. Roethlisberger size.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
1) To say Mannion wasn't productive is silly (all time pac 12 yardage leader ) to say he made mistakes is fair.
2) Kurt Warner had to play in the arena league before his game was NFL ready. He wasn't really a household name or on the radar of NFL personnel out of N Iowa.
3) The argument about available NFL weapons carries marginal relevance. Weapons become less useful as we all know when your Oline is closer to a sieve than a brick wall.

I do not know what is in store for mr Mannion and as @jrry32 knows nothing but love for his time and commitment spent on analyzing prospects but for me the jury is still out.

Well from what I've seen recently. Most QB'S like the mariotas and winstons get too much credit. Everyone thought Manziel was going to be great. I would rather take someone who is built like a Manning and not a Manziel try hard.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
From videos jerry posted I see a quarterback with a strong arm who stands tall in the pocket, but has accuracy issues at times. My guess is, if he were considered an accurate QB he woulda been drafted a lot sooner. I don't mind this pick. He can be a serviceable quarterback and has some tools to be even better one day. I think this spells the end for Davis or Keenum? Or do they keep 4 QB's and dress 2 on game days?