3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If he really is as smart as advertised - I wonder how much value there is in a guy who - even if he is physically limited - can go to the LOS with 3 plays on, read and diagnose what the D is giving, and get us to run the right of those 3 plays.

Even just making the decision to run the correct running play seems like it would carry tremendous value to me.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
(n) on Mannion. We already have our immobile QB with Foles. We have built a rush blocking OL, not so much as pass protectors. I would have been much happier taking a mobile QB like Hundley a round later. At least we would have seen some competition for a 3'rd on the depth chart. With Mannion, I fear just by virtue of going in the 3'rd, he's a slam dunk over Davis being retained without much thought for competition. jmo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
(n) on Mannion. We already have our immobile QB with Foles. We have built a rush blocking OL, not so much as pass protectors. I would have been much happier taking a mobile QB like Hundley a round later. At least we would have seen some competition for a 3'rd on the depth chart. With Mannion, I fear just by virtue of going in the 3'rd, he's a slam dunk over Davis being retained without much thought for competition. jmo.

Keenum is no lock to beat out Davis. And if Mannion proves to be good enough for the team to only carry 2 QBs on the roster then all the better, IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Keenum is no lock to beat out Davis. And if Mannion proves to be good enough for the team to only carry 2 QBs on the roster then all the better, IMO.
Great point.
I'm not upset with the Mannion pick. I see him as a back up qb. If he can win the #2 job, We're all the better for it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Foles and his lesser clone as the only QB's on the roster ? That is frightening. I guess 49% play action & 49% straight rush with little pass protection is the key. :whistle:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did, then I couldn't finish...but thanks

What the hell is wrong with you? Who doesn't like Gurley?

I didn't think Foles was the answer, I don't think Mannion is either....

Lets start with the guys we shoulda took on Ffriday, Collins, Clemmings, and Hundley...Call it a redux.

Rod Perry & Pat Thomas...damn them!!!! We were 9-7 that year as well, led by a strong armed rookie or 2nd year QB, Vince Ferragamo, which leads me to....

Because natural bend & natural footwork are like, kinda important. It's hard to teach a guy to stick to fundamentals in the face of a pass rush.
My overall impression is this is a poor pick. It seems we took some high IQ guys today, well Friday. This dude has slow feet, weak arm, and wilts in the face of pressure. And, is NOT a winner. In fact, much like Foles in the Pac-12, he's known down here as a choker. I just question a pick when it isn't an attempt to make the position stronger. He's a Ram now, I'll pull for him, but IMO, this was the worst draft day of the Snisher era...3 questionable picks....experts? Please, anybody can evaluate talent...Keep it up Jrry32....Hammer...Coach...no such thing as a expert talent evaluator...or rather, one that doesn't get it wrong some of the time...

No, not everybody can evaluate talent. Lots of people THINK they can, but your livelihood isnt on the line....I'm all for discussing prospects and what we think, but when people start acting like they know better than the coach and GM, it's getting ridiculous.

Again, coaches and GMs have access to tools that you, I and people on this board will never have. Heck, they probably have tools that we would never even believe. So to say that you know better than guys that get paid to do this, that have resources you couldnt even dream of, - this part deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

lockdnram21

Legend
Foles and his lesser clone as the only QB's on the roster ? That is frightening. I guess 49% play action & 49% straight rush with little pass protection is the key. :whistle:
How do u know the pass protection will be bad. They said that Havenstein held his own at senior bowl and that's why his stock went up . Don't think our pass protection will be as bad people think

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
How do u know the pass protection will be bad. They said that Havenstein held his own at senior bowl and that's why his stock went up . Don't think our pass protection will be as bad people think
I was attempting sarcasm with that last post, and yes, no telling what pass pro will look like next season. I gave the draft a B+, where Mannion was my only problem. I'm still hoping for a stop-gap vet LG while the new guys get up to speed, also hoping Jones can beat out Barnes at Center as from what little i've seen, Barnes is terrible in pass-pro. I love the direction our OL has taken, but two stiff QB's makes me nervous, at least for now.

lockdnram21

Legend
I was attempting sarcasm with that last post, and yes, no telling what pass pro will look like next season. I gave the draft a B+, where Mannion was my only problem. I'm still hoping for a stop-gap vet LG while the new guys get up to speed, also hoping Jones can beat out Barnes at Center as from what little i've seen, Barnes is terrible in pass-pro. I love the direction our OL has taken, but two stiff QB's makes me nervous, at least for now.
When it's all said and done if healthy I expect Rhaney to be center

iced

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people are more worried about the RG and Center spots than RT

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
NFL Media’s Charley Casserly and Brian Baldinger break down how New Orleans Saints quarterback Garrett Grayson and St. Louis Rams quarterback Sean Mannion will fit in with their new teams.

Watch Casserly/Baldinger Talk QB's

Good analysis, but nothing new here as far as information goes.

Plus side is Mannion is intelligent and has a strong arm.

Con side is Mannion is 'lumbering' and stiff.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
No, not everybody can evaluate talent. Lots of people THINK they can, but your livelihood isnt on the line....I'm all for discussing prospects and what we think, but when people start acting like they know better than the coach and GM, it's getting ridiculous.

Again, coaches and GMs have access to tools that you, I and people on this board will never have. Heck, they probably have tools that we would never even believe. So to say that you know better than guys that get paid to do this, that have resources you couldnt even dream of, is about as ignorant as it gets IMO.

I get the point, thing is our "draftniks" here... even tho they pretty much crashed and burned on their Rams selections are (with their well written posts) none the less some of the very best reading on this site. I enjoy reading their input.

I personally feel Mannion has a real shot at being the Rams QB of the future, there it is, I said it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the point, thing is our "draftniks" here... even tho they pretty much crashed and burned on their Rams selections are (with their well written posts) none the less some of the very best reading on this site. I enjoy reading their input.

I personally feel Mannion has a real shot at being the Rams QB of the future, there it is, I said it.

I don't think the Rams would have drafted him there if Cignetti and Weinke didn't believe there was a decent possibility of that at least.

The flameout rate among QB prospects is very high - but teams need to have a decent QB at least, and that's why QBs get taken higher than their ratings might otherwise indicate. Mannion has intelligence, apparently a work ethic, size, etc. He has some flaws, many of which are likely correctable with a good QB guru - which Weinke supposedly is. I'm not going to hold my breath on Mannion - but the Rams needed to get a developmental QB, and by all reports they got the one that they most wanted, after going over all the second tier QBs. I'm going to give him some time at least. At least see if getting Mannion to hold the ball higher improves his time to throw.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Two statistics stand out for Mannion and I can't find a third.

His 'rush' statistic is :
132rushes for a negative -804 yards at -6.1 ypg.

His TD/INT ratio is 89 TD's vs 54 Int's making him quite the gunslinger.

Can't find his career fumbles. Anyone have this ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

23b53ef8fd62e778db9df22772e8b95182da81d854fed3f1850cd77b0619a272.jpg

Stel

Starter
Two statistics stand out for Mannion and I can't find a third.

His 'rush' statistic is :
132rushes for a negative -804 yards at -6.1 ypg.

His TD/INT ratio is 89 TD's vs 54 Int's making him quite the gunslinger.

Can't find his career fumbles. Anyone have this ?

29 fumbles, 9 lost, in 47 games.
For comparison, Mariota had 27 fumbles, 11 lost, in 41 games.
For comparison, Winston had 13 fumbles, 4 lost, in 27 games

Keep in mind Mannion's interceptions were thrown in 1838 attempts, about 2.9%.
For comparison, Mariota's career interception rate was about 1.2%
For comparison, Winston's career interception rate was about 3.2%.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
29 fumbles, 9 lost, in 47 games.
For comparison, Mariota had 27 fumbles, 11 lost, in 41 games.
For comparison, Winston had 13 fumbles, 4 lost, in 27 games

Keep in mind Mannion's interceptions were thrown in 1838 attempts, about 2.9%.
For comparison, Mariota's career interception rate was about 1.2%
For comparison, Winston's career interception rate was about 3.2%.
Thanks Stel, much appreciated.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Of course, a strong rushing attack does wonders for pass protection. Also a QB with weapons that knows where to go with the football can, too.