3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You probably don't want to watch this:
I did, then I couldn't finish...but thanks

Wasn't feeling Gurley last night at all,
What the hell is wrong with you? Who doesn't like Gurley?

Mannion is a Foles clone, and plenty of you were willing to welcome Nick with open arms.
I didn't think Foles was the answer, I don't think Mannion is either....

So who do we want them to take tomorrow?
Lets start with the guys we shoulda took on Ffriday, Collins, Clemmings, and Hundley...Call it a redux.

Wow! I just saw, in 1979 when the Steelers beat us in the SB, Bradshaw had 26 TD passes and 25 Ints for the season. What a weird stat and they still won it all. Crazy.
Rod Perry & Pat Thomas...damn them!!!! We were 9-7 that year as well, led by a strong armed rookie or 2nd year QB, Vince Ferragamo, which leads me to....

Why would an NFL coach/GM care that a guy doesn't bend, or has poor footwork? That can be coached,
Because natural bend & natural footwork are like, kinda important. It's hard to teach a guy to stick to fundamentals in the face of a pass rush.
My overall impression is this is a poor pick. It seems we took some high IQ guys today, well Friday. This dude has slow feet, weak arm, and wilts in the face of pressure. And, is NOT a winner. In fact, much like Foles in the Pac-12, he's known down here as a choker. I just question a pick when it isn't an attempt to make the position stronger. He's a Ram now, I'll pull for him, but IMO, this was the worst draft day of the Snisher era...3 questionable picks....experts? Please, anybody can evaluate talent...Keep it up Jrry32....Hammer...Coach...no such thing as a expert talent evaluator...or rather, one that doesn't get it wrong some of the time...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's like a mix of onion and man. Nothing more badass than an onion man. He'll make people cry.

We need a "Hell Yeah!" Button.

Onion Man... Makes even the toughest men cry!

Has a back story involving visiting the set of a cooking show and a horrific accident involving a food processor and a massive pile of freshly chopped onions.

Who emerged? MANNION!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happens every year, but people bashing these guys is just silly. They wanted Mannion from day 1 of this draft. For every draft bust there is a gem. If Tom Brady would have been drafted in the 3rd round, Patriot fans would have been FREAKING out on their coach and GM....how'd that work out?

You guys that are "tape watchers" - you are watching a player do what he's coached to do by a (typically) sub par coaching staff by NFL standards. You can spend your entire life "scouting" and watching tape and all that - but at the end of the day, you have less than 1% of the resources that NFL teams have. So go ahead and watch your tape - but think about it, individual work outs, senior bowl and combine are going to typically be better indicators than what they do against non NFL competition, with non NFL coaching staffs. Why would an NFL coach/GM care that a guy doesn't bend, or has poor footwork? That can be coached, and these football coaches are the best on the planet.

That's just it. They aren't. That's how you end up with Blaine Gabbert.

Why would you care a guy has poor footwork? Because it's a pretty vital part of playing the QB position.

Well from what I've seen recently. Most QB'S like the mariotas and winstons get too much credit. Everyone thought Manziel was going to be great. I would rather take someone who is built like a Manning and not a Manziel try hard.

Not on this board. In fact, the majority of the people on this board and the other draft board I post on did not like Manziel.

We shoulda drafted number 91 from Stanford. That guy was beating his blocker quite a bit.

I would have been happy if we did. His name is Henry Anderson. Indy drafted him in the 3rd.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't think he played that bad in that clip. You know who did play bad: his OL, his WR and his TE. It was clear his WR did not run the correct routes at times which is why he passed to places where no one was there or it seemed high. Other times he threw it right on the money and his WR dropped it. He was pressured on like every play. His WR couldn't get open or make ANYONE miss. His TE were not even there. It was a terrible, terrible team. I wonder if he played on a good team what his numbers would be.

It's easy to place the blame on everyone else. As I said in a long post already, you need to examine Stanford's gameplan and ask why they would do what they did.

If his OL, WRs, and TEs were THAT bad. Why did Stanford throw the kitchen sink at him? They could have just dropped 7 or 8 into coverage and won up-front over the terrible OL with 3 or 4 man rushes. Had they done that, they could have pressured Mannion and forced him to throw into more coverage instead of giving him 1 on 1s and bigger windows by blitzing.

So you need to ask yourself, why did a well coached team like Stanford game-plan to attack the way they did? You're facing a future NFL QB and you give him a ton of 1 on 1 match-ups and open windows because you're bringing so many blitzers. Why do that if his supporting cast is truly that terrible?

If you watch the game, it becomes apparent why they did it. Because Mannion was accurate and tough to stop when he could stand on his spot and throw. But when Stanford blitzed him and forced him off his spot, his ball placement and footwork became erratic, he could not put the same amount of velocity on throws, and it got into his head.

I'm sorry, dude. But it's not as simple as everyone else was just bad. Stanford had a game-plan that attacked Mannion's weaknesses and he couldn't overcome it. Did the WRs have some bad drops? Sure. But Mannion also had some pretty terrible throws. It seems odd to me to attack the WR for a few bad drops and then ignore Mannion having just as many if not more inaccurate throws.

Stanford got into Mannion's head and threw his game off because they knew that he struggled when he was forced off his spot. It's the same thing I noted about Mettenberger last year. Except Mettenberger had a much stronger arm (and much worse intangibles). Mannion is a spot thrower.

And this is really just scratching the surface on all the issues I had with that game.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That's just it. They aren't. That's how you end up with Blaine Gabbert.

I still laugh every time I think of him being drafted in the first round!

The Jags should have talked to the knowledgeable fans of his college team before they took him.:ROFLMAO:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It's easy to place the blame on everyone else. As I said in a long post already, you need to examine Stanford's gameplan and ask why they would do what they did.

If his OL, WRs, and TEs were THAT bad. Why did Stanford throw the kitchen sink at him? They could have just dropped 7 or 8 into coverage and won up-front over the terrible OL with 3 or 4 man rushes. Had they done that, they could have pressured Mannion and forced him to throw into more coverage instead of giving him 1 on 1s and bigger windows by blitzing.

So you need to ask yourself, why did a well coached team like Stanford game-plan to attack the way they did? You're facing a future NFL QB and you give him a ton of 1 on 1 match-ups and open windows because you're bringing so many blitzers. Why do that if his supporting cast is truly that terrible?

If you watch the game, it becomes apparent why they did it. Because Mannion was accurate and tough to stop when he could stand on his spot and throw. But when Stanford blitzed him and forced him off his spot, his ball placement and footwork became erratic, he could not put the same amount of velocity on throws, and it got into his head.

I'm sorry, dude. But it's not as simple as everyone else was just bad. Stanford had a game-plan that attacked Mannion's weaknesses and he couldn't overcome it. Did the WRs have some bad drops? Sure. But Mannion also had some pretty terrible throws. It seems odd to me to attack the WR for a few bad drops and then ignore Mannion having just as many if not more inaccurate throws.

Stanford got into Mannion's head and threw his game off because they knew that he struggled when he was forced off his spot. It's the same thing I noted about Mettenberger last year. Except Mettenberger had a much stronger arm (and much worse intangibles). Mannion is a spot thrower.

And this is really just scratching the surface on all the issues I had with that game.

Who has a better coaching staff? Stanford or Oregon St - you bring up the coaching to offset any argument about Mannion's lack of talent surrounding him

- well what about the coaching / who is better coached Stanford or Oregon St???

With better coaching Mannion will learn how to deal with the pressure

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who has a better coaching staff? Stanford or Oregon St - you bring up the coaching to offset any argument about Mannion's lack of talent surrounding him

- well what about the coaching / who is better coached Stanford or Oregon St???

With better coaching Mannion will learn how to deal with the pressure

Good luck. That and a QB's throwing motion are the two most difficult things to fix.

Should it matter that Stanford was better coached? Mannion was the QB out there. He was the guy in charge on the field. And his head coach, Mike Riley, was a former NFL Head Coach.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Perhaps some here are just out of step with the apparent direction the Rams are attempting to take, so if they take Grayson some are dancing in the streets...take Mannion and we get this. (talk about splitting hairs)

Look closely ROD brethren at this draft, can anyone come up with a meaningful analysis on just what the heck they're doing? I think I can.

Would they have taken Grayson over Mannion had both been available? Who knows, one thing is certain in my book, they wanted Mannion over Petty and Hundley and I think they did because of what he possesses upstairs.

Time will reveal soon enough, here's the thing, we all knew they needed to address the O line and more than likely pick a QB on day 2.

Well that's exactly what they did, now if some here really believe they have a better feel on what players they could have drafted than Snisher & Staff, then Bravo.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Good luck. That and a QB's throwing motion are the two most difficult things to fix.

Should it matter that Stanford was better coached? Mannion was the QB out there. He was the guy in charge on the field. And his head coach, Mike Riley, was a former NFL Head Coach.

We shall see :)
He's a Ram now

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perhaps some here are just out of step with the apparent direction the Rams are attempting to take, so if they take Grayson some are dancing in the streets...take Mannion and we get this. (talk about splitting hairs)

Look closely ROD brethren at this draft, can anyone come up with a meaningful analysis on just what the heck they're doing? I think I can.

Would they have taken Grayson over Mannion had both been available? Who knows, one thing is certain in my book, they wanted Mannion over Petty and Hundley and I think they did because of what he possesses upstairs.

Time will reveal soon enough, here's the thing, we all knew they needed to address the O line and more than likely pick a QB on day 2.

Well that's exactly what they did, now if some here really believe they have a better feel on what players they could have drafted than Snisher & Staff, then Bravo.

It's not at all splitting hairs. I'm not ticked they took a QB. I'm ticked they took the QB they did. It's two very different things.

Some people just didn't want a QB. I was not one of those people.

But he's a Ram so here's hoping that he does well in the league.

Alan

Legend
CGI_Ram liking the pick:
(y)
I agree CGI. Not because I like Mannion but I like the fact we got one of the top 5 QBs instead of waiting until the 6th or 7th round again to pick a bottom feeder. Finally. :)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree CGI. Not because I like Mannion but I like the fact we got one of the top 5 QBs instead of waiting until the 6th or 7th round again to pick a bottom feeder. Finally. :)
This
And they basically had the choice of whoever they wanted, and this is the guy they believe fits their system.
IMO, Oregon State was trash and was only relevant because of Mannion's play in 2013. Yeah his 2014 sucked but so did Winston and he still went #1 overall

Alan

Legend
dieterbrock liking the fact that we had our choice of all the second tier QBs and chose the one we thought best:
And they basically had the choice of whoever they wanted, and this is the guy they believe fits their system.
IMO, Oregon State was trash and was only relevant because of Mannion's play in 2013. Yeah his 2014 sucked but so did Winston and he still went #1 overall
QB was really the only position I tried to analyze by looking at film and I only looked at Petty, Hundley, Mannion and Grayson. My choice would have been Grayson, Petty and them Mannion but I'm happy we chose Mannion over Hundley who I didn't like at all. (y)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sheesh. I swear some posters on here must watch more film than Jaworski to have such strong opinions on all of these players. Wish I had that kind of free time. I will fully admit that I have only heard of three of the Rams picks in this draft. I will also readily admit that I am not as versed, prepared, or football smart as the men who picked them.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler

Watched all of these last night, Little Palmer seems really impressed with his work ethic, knowledge and love for the game. I wish the camera was pulled back for his pro day because his motion looked a lot tighter and quicker to my untrained eye. It seemed like the ball was really jumping off his hand on all of the throws. Mannion seems like a very bright and likeable guy and I can't wait for Camp to see how he sinks or swims at first.

nighttrain

Legend
I think it's a Cignetti pick - somebody who can pick up the system, and who doesn't have to totally relearn everything. Don't think he'll ever be a big star, but could be a game manager later on for the Rams.
Gotta be better backup than what we have on roster, be nearly impossible not to
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am trying to find his official measurables, but NFL.com has his hands at 9". Those are very very small for a pro QB.