3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I just don't see what all the complaining is about. New beef up front, check, new QB who can compete with Davis for back up spot check, exceptional upside RB to push the power run scheme check.

A team with a great defense and power running game, Fisher's forte check.

What else did anyone expect?

Let's at least wait until preseason before you guys slit your wristso_O

In Snisher I trust, that ain't changing this year.

Not complaining about the O-Linemen. Really like the Havenstein pick and Brown looks like he has the makings of an above average NFL Guard. But the Mannion pick to me, is the case of our staff falling in love with a guy based on what he did in his pre-draft workouts and not trusting their eyes when it came to what they saw on game film. I would of seriously rather of taken Grayson at #10 than take Mannion as high as we did.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Here's a fun stat...Mannion played 9 games against the Pac-12 this year and threw 10 TDs to 6 Ints in those games. 10 TDs in 9 conference games.

Take into consideration that he was playing for one of the least funded Pac-12 programs as well as the talent in place there.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I hope he's Mr Irrelevant. So he can't sign as a free agent, but rather has to take the tiniest draftee contract. Since he wants to manipulate the draft process, rather than start his career. And it's stupid - since if he's any good he'll get to the big money sooner if he starts in 2015. Instead he wants the big guaranteed signing bonus.

If you do the math, if he's innocent and he's fully exonerated, then it makes sense for him to go into the 2016 draft and try to be a top 15 pick. That versus a 4th round pick or below will net him $10M over the length of his contract. Presuming he plays up to his potential, he may lose 1 year at the end of his career, but unless he's a very top LOT, it's unlikely it would amount to $10M even as the cap rises in 10 years. LOTs in their final year don't tend to break the bank unless they're franchise LOTs and that's a lot to bank on. If he's banking on being a solid guy in the league for a 2nd, maybe even 3rd contract, then the math works in his favor for waiting for the 2016 draft and his agent is giving him good advice.

That's why you get agents. To do the math.

Plus, if the authorities drag this out, he'd likely end up missing lots of playing time due to legal issues and could end up being put on the non-football injury list which would mean he was sat and couldn't play and would still lose the season and the organization would be mad at HIM for crap the local authorities were doing.

Presuming he's innocent, it very well may be best for him to get this all behind him and then make nice with all the teams and spend the year working like a mad man to be in the best shape ever for a Tackle and just wow everyone next year.

Then again, if he isn't innocent... all this is moot and he'll hopefully rot for a very long time in a cold dark place.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If you do the math, if he's innocent and he's fully exonerated, then it makes sense for him to go into the 2016 draft and try to be a top 15 pick. That versus a 4th round pick or below will net him $10M over the length of his contract. Presuming he plays up to his potential, he may lose 1 year at the end of his career, but unless he's a very top LOT, it's unlikely it would amount to $10M even as the cap rises in 10 years. LOTs in their final year don't tend to break the bank unless they're franchise LOTs and that's a lot to bank on. If he's banking on being a solid guy in the league for a 2nd, maybe even 3rd contract, then the math works in his favor for waiting for the 2016 draft and his agent is giving him good advice.

That's why you get agents. To do the math.

Plus, if the authorities drag this out, he'd likely end up missing lots of playing time due to legal issues and could end up being put on the non-football injury list which would mean he was sat and couldn't play and would still lose the season and the organization would be mad at HIM for crap the local authorities were doing.

Presuming he's innocent, it very well may be best for him to get this all behind him and then make nice with all the teams and spend the year working like a mad man to be in the best shape ever for a Tackle and just wow everyone next year.

Then again, if he isn't innocent... all this is moot and he'll hopefully rot for a very long time in a cold dark place.
I wonder if it was something his agent put out there, hoping a team would panic and crack.
I'm curious to see if they change their mind tomorrow and agree to sign if drafted.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he sits out a year his draft stock is likely to drop significantly though. He won't be able to play, or work out in an organized fashion. At least when Quinn was off the team he was still in school, and had access to many of the facilities with the team, even though he couldn't actually work out with them. But Collins won't have that. And he'll be 23 before the 2016 season begins. And many already have doubts on him playing LT. I just don't see him going that high if he sits out a year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I gotta hand it to you and the other poster that I discussed it with...I'm not remembering who it was. But I was pretty adamant that Mannion wouldn't go Day 2. You guys were right. He did. Just wish it wasn't to us.
I get yuh man. Honestly I do. I really respect the time and thought you put in. Now I suppose we both better hope I'm right on this ONE.;)

I just liked what I saw from him on the pro level.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You don't have to reside in Oregon to watch a guy play. The great thing about television and the internet is that you can watch a guy anywhere. Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks were two of my favorite players so I tuned in and watched a number of games they played in. That involved watching Mannion. I've seen a lot of games from him dating back to 2012. This year was probably the year where I saw the least of him.(four games)

Don't make assumptions just because you don't agree with people's opinions. If I haven't seen a guy play (or seen enough of him), I'll tell you that. Like I did in the Jamon Brown thread. If I'm going to put my neck out there on an evaluation, you better bet I've done my homework.
No... I get that. I know u do watch WAY more than I do but I've watched and saw his play different than you. I happen to think his skills are real nfl quality.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You know, I just think Mannion is better than foles ever was so...

Simba

Rookie
This pick reminds me last year 6th round (214th pick) Garrett Gilbert. Everybody knows what's happened ...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I wonder if it was something his agent put out there, hoping a team would panic and crack.
I'm curious to see if they change their mind tomorrow and agree to sign if drafted.

Depends on the draft class. If the OL draft class is weak next year and Collins works really hard and actually improves on his strength and quickness, I could see him improve his stock. It's not like he's going to forget how to block and he'll have 1 year less wear and tear on his body which actually isn't a bad thing.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
So, I wake up this morning and we've done 3 picks, we have a new o-line and we've picked up Sean Mannion!!!

What's wrong with you guys for not liking this pick. In my opinion he has the potential to be a Drew Brees of the future, he can do all the throws you need from your Qb. He has the best accuracy of any QB in this years draft, is, reportedly, by far the smartest football player in the draft and you guys are still not happy?!?

Give him a year or so as understudy, learning the craft and he'll step up and be our QB of the future.

I'm telling you, we're looking at the next franchise guy right now.

So far to me this draft is an A+

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I like that Fisher sent him some stuff and talked with him the next day and according to Fisher... he had it knocked.

That sounds like a coaches son to me. That's the kind of QB we'll need. I expect his improvement under Weinke this year will be substantial even if he is just running the scout team.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So, I wake up this morning and we've done 3 picks, we have a new o-line and we've picked up Sean Mannion!!!

What's wrong with you guys for not liking this pick. In my opinion he has the potential to be a Drew Brees of the future, he can do all the throws you need from your Qb. He has the best accuracy of any QB in this years draft, is, reportedly, by far the smartest football player in the draft and you guys are still not happy?!?

Give him a year or so as understudy, learning the craft and he'll step up and be our QB of the future.

I'm telling you, we're looking at the next franchise guy right now.

So far to me this draft is an A+
Man I sure hope you're right. It's weird. I've just not tagged any must have players this draft. I think there are a lot of decent players.

I think our first pick is a potential game changer. We got some uglies for the line, and a 6'6" Pac 12 QB.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

I didn't think he played that bad in that clip. You know who did play bad: his OL, his WR and his TE. It was clear his WR did not run the correct routes at times which is why he passed to places where no one was there or it seemed high. Other times he threw it right on the money and his WR dropped it. He was pressured on like every play. His WR couldn't get open or make ANYONE miss. His TE were not even there. It was a terrible, terrible team. I wonder if he played on a good team what his numbers would be.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
His upside is handing off to Gurley and Mason 45 times a game without fumbling.

Foles walks after this season the Rams will still be looking to draft a starter in the 1st.

So what's the point of using a third on this guy. The league is full of them. The Rams already have two and now have to cut one.

I don't really see how he's any better than Gilbert other than Gilbert had much better ball security.

It's just wasteful for a team to use a premium pick on a low percentage player when it has so many holes and so many Fa's next year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Man I sure hope you're right. It's weird. I've just not tagged any must have players this draft. I think there are a lot of decent players.

I think our first pick is a potential game changer. We got some uglies for the line, and a 6'6" Pac 12 QB.
Our new o-line guys may not be headline pick ups but they may work as a unit, and I'm excited by that. We've potentially got a Marshawn Lynch kinda RB, a guy that can carry a team and win those close games. And I, unlike others on this forum see massive upside with Mannion.

Athos

Legend
Watching the press conference with Coach and Les Snead...Snead says when evaluating Mannion you should just delete 2014. LOL not really what I wanted to hear.

hahahahahahahahaha. That's funny.

Not.

:sick::mad:

Woke up. Still pissed with this pick. If Mannion is the QB of the future, Snisher won't be long for the Rams.

I pray Foles blows it up and we sign him.

Yeah he got a Super Bowl ring

How is that relevant?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that would be the battle for the back-up slot

Point being that one of them is a certainty to be released. That wasn't the case prior to the draft.
Will it be the guy they just traded a draft pick for or the guy who showed flashes of brilliance for this very team.
As for mannion I like to look at his 2013 and not his